- - - - -

Screen resolution

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Oorpii

Oorpii
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 March 2017 - 15:27

I've searched the forums to possibly understand how this works but am still a bit confused.

The best settings in RoF is 1920 x 1080. Would a screen with higher resolution do any good or will this be the limit?

#2 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 22 March 2017 - 16:52

I moved up to a 2560 x 1440 monitor (look for a G-sync if you have a nVidia card or free-sync otherwwise) and it was a vast improvement spotting and recognizing distant aircraft.

And AA can be turned down or even off to save on performance, the pixel density helps out with rendering straight lines.

#3 SurfimpGT

SurfimpGT
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA, USA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 17:54

+1 what Bandy said, I am also flying at 2560x1440 on a 27" monitor that I've positioned as close as possible to my face (maybe 24" away or so) and that has helped a lot. I too turn off antialiasing in RoF and manage it via the Nvidia control panel.

The 1920x1080 is probably just the limit of what your current monitor can support.

I know at least a few people are playing on 30"+ HD TV monitors, apparently with good results (i.e. they seem happy).

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Founding Member, SPADaholics Anonymous

#4 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 22 March 2017 - 19:46

Try flying on a 22"screen.

#5 Oorpii

Oorpii
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 March 2017 - 21:05

The 1920x1080 is probably just the limit of what your current monitor can support.

Yes, it is, So, with a monitor with higher resolution RoF will be able to run on that then. Thanks.

#6 SurfimpGT

SurfimpGT
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA, USA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 22:23

Yes, it is, So, with a monitor with higher resolution RoF will be able to run on that then. Thanks.

Yes, that's correct. I flew for years at 1920x1080 and it's absolutely fine, but having more pixels is quite nice, too.

Good luck! Hope to see you online sometime.

S!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Founding Member, SPADaholics Anonymous

#7 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:40

Try flying on a 22"screen.

Yeah, me too. Running at 1600x900 and low AA in order to get a decent 55-60 FPS.
Over time i found a lack of prettiness bugged me less than a lack of smoothness. Especially in MP.

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

Major Keith 'Grid' Caldwell, 74 Sq

#8 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 23 March 2017 - 22:23

I recently got a 40" 4k TV which seems to do Ok. £500 but you can get them cheaper, just check the refresh rate is up to the job.

That's running now at 3840 x 2160.

Only thing is you need a good GPU to push the pixels, but that applies to monitors as well of course !

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#9 Oorpii

Oorpii
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:49

Following your advice I've now upgraded to a 27" monitor,  2560x1440 G-sync ( got a Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti card) and must say I'm amazed of the improvement. I'm now trying to get used to seeing so much details.......

Are there any settings I should be aware of for the game and the Nvidia card?

#10 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:24

Hi Oorpii. Wondering how the experience has been with new monitor. What settings have you ended up using?

Re spotting planes, has it helped a lot? If so, is it a simple distance thing or a clarity that helps the eyes distinguish shapes better? Other?

And does it help identify planes below you..this is a real problem for me! Am thinking about getting a decent monitor and GPU.

Thanks

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

#11 Oorpii

Oorpii
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:00

It has changed the game dramatically for me. Spotting planes in a distance much improved and it sure helps to identify since much more details are visible,

Actually my answer to all your questions would be YES.

As for the settings I'm not sure if I got it all right, this is far beyond my capacity when it comes to tweeking, but I kept the settings in game to what I've been adviced to and they look like this. I've limited fps to 120 although the monitor would handle 144.

https://www.howtogee...nvidia-g-sync/ has been of some help understanding.

This new monitor and  getting spectacles has been a vast improvement and made RoF much more enjoyable.

My only problem now is age...., can't do much about that though.

Attached Files

#12 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 26 October 2017 - 14:23

Thanks.
120 FPS with those high settings! Must look fantastic.
What graphics card do you use?

#13 Oorpii

Oorpii
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 October 2017 - 14:35

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 Ti

#14 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 26 October 2017 - 20:31

It makes for a nice picture but it may be easier to spot distant contacts easier using a larger monitor with 2k settings as the pixels will be larger.

Rise of Flight Forums...the sweetest place on earth. 

"The hardest part of my job is having to tolerate people who are too inept to do their job."                                                                 

#15 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:06

Time for me to pull the trigger on this.

Choice has come down to a 27" or 32" - both run 2560x1440 @ 144hz+ and have G-sync.

They're both the same price here, though the 32 is a VA panel and the 27 is an IPS.

Anyone have experience with these size/resolutions?

Main use case is RoF -  is it better to have a sharper, smaller image or a larger, slightly less distinct one?

27" 2560x1440 = 108.79 ppi (pixels per inch)

32" 2560x1440 = 91.79 ppi

for reference a 24" 1920x 1080 = 91.79 ppi

I'm coming from an old 22" 1080p (100.13 ppi)  so they'll both be an improvement, but do want this monitor to be good for a number of years.

Desk depth is limited so 30"-32" is probably the furthest i could comfortably sit from it without modding the desk.

Eye care is also important. Not getting younger, so i'd like to see comfortably and avoid eye strain as much as possible.

Appreciate any advice.

#16 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 09 April 2018 - 16:39

Here one from Lunis https://m.youtube.co...h?v=zNc2fKuVnGU
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

2009 Rof pre-order buyer

#17 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 09 April 2018 - 18:50

The best gaming monitor today in general is the Alienware AW3418DW (if you disregard competitive gaming when you need light speed refresh rate above 144hz). You can check the detailed review here. I think you can get to 120hz, which is pretty good for a ultrawide 34" monitor. And the 'ultrawide' is a deal breaker for me. The 21:9 aspect ratio is light years ahead of the 16:9. The lateral extra space is gold. But the IPS has some drawbacks such as IPS glow and backlight bleed, that can vary from unit to unit, but I think Dell has a good RMA.

But it is expensive. The 2560X1980p (29") is more on the bracket of the 2560X1440 and some people will prefer the bigger image and others will prefer the wider field of view (like myself).

G-Sync seems to give a whole new experience as well.

EDIT* you need a 1080 or higher to run the Alienware properly.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#18 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 09 April 2018 - 23:39

Thanks.
Seaw0lf, you prefer size over sharpness then? What is your viewing distance?

The Alienware 34 looks great but way beyond budget at RM 5,500 vs rm3,200 for the LG 32 and Viewsonic 27 I've been looking at.

With my view distance of around 30inches, most recommendations I've found are for 27" at 1440p.

#19 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 10 April 2018 - 00:11

Thanks.
Seaw0lf, you prefer size over sharpness then? What is your viewing distance?

The Alienware 34 looks great but way beyond budget at RM 5,500 vs rm3,200 for the LG 32 and Viewsonic 27 I've been looking at.

With my view distance of around 30inches, most recommendations I've found are for 27" at 1440p.

It is not really sharpness, because the dot pich is the same (in general) for both the ultrawide (2560X1080) or a regular 2560X1440 (unless you buy a 4K monitor). So the image quality is going to be the same if the panel quality is similar. The difference in between the ultrawide and the regular is the field of view for the ultrawide and the image size for the 2560X1440.

You can ckeck below the aspect ratio in between sizes. Note that the 2560X1080 (29" ultrawide) has the same size of the 1920X1080 (regular full HD) with an extra lateral field of view. You can see that you can almost see the wing struts. On the other side, the 2560X1440 (27") has the same field of view of the 1920X1080 (much narrower image), but the image is bigger (bigger gauges, bigger contact dots, bigger terrain details, etc.).

So it is really two styles of play. The players who like to have a bigger image and players who like to have better field of view. I like the field of view of the ultrawide, but the 2560X1080p does not look that good for BOX for example, when dogfights happens in a way bigger area and you lose sight of the enemy more frequently than if you have a bigger image. Since I'm not that into BOX and my interest is in ROF and Flying Circus, I'll keep my 2560X1080p monitor for a while, although I almost bought the Alienware this year.

The images below are in proportion, so in theory these are the relative sizes of the monitors and the images. But it does not work that way in practice, because of dot pitches, so the biggest of them all (3440X1440) will be in reality slightly smaller than the one on the photo because the dot pitch is considerably smaller (IIRC 15% smaller than a regular 1920X1080p monitor). So the real state area may vary in between panels. But the proportion stands. I'm not sure if the 27" have the same dot pich. The smaller the dot pitch, the better the image (you can check the dot pich on the internet).

Attached Files

#20 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:24

Thanks for the input SeaW0lf, is good to see the screen proportions illustrated that way.

That 21:9 FOV looks amazing. It might even help us SPAD pilots :icon_e_biggrin:

Searching 21:9 options i found these alternatives

ACER Predator Z35P VA

Acer Predator X34P IPS

Both are 3440x1440 (21:9), overclock to 120hz and support G-Sync

Prices here are similar at around RM4,000 (usd1000), which is still well over my budget, but significantly cheaper than the Alienware and the Asus PG348Q

Thinking about it for RoF/BoX, seeing distant pixels easily and recognizing aircraft shape quickly are pretty key attributes. I'm sure my Squad mates would appreciate any improvement i make in this regard  ;)

So a larger size monitor should help. Really not sure i can justify the 34/35 ultra wides from cost and size perspectives, but i might get away with the flat LG 32" (2560X1440). PPI/dot pitch is same as a 24"1080p so sharpness should still be good...but damn that 21:9 FOV is enticing...

#21 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 11 April 2018 - 13:07

but damn that 21:9 FOV is enticing...

Yes, it is  :icon_mad:  ROF and BOX looks gorgeous on a 21:9. The problem is the price of the 34" monitors, because the 29" is not really suited for BOX (or even ROF depending on the person).

There are some Predator owners on the BOX fórum. It was previously the best option (I think the 100hz version) until the release of the Alienware. And there were some people who bought the Alienware for 1k as well (a sale perhaps). Keep an eye on prices. But the Z35P VA has some problems (check some reviews). If you get one, get the X34P IPS. And don't forget that it will need preferably a 1080 Ti or a hefly Volta card (might release on the 3rd quarter).

Or just get a large 16:9 monitor. In my mind dot pitch is already good for the 1080p ones. I rather have the Alienware with the same dot pitch as mine (Philips 298P4QJEB) and get all the real state area of a 3440X1440p monitor than to have a smaller dot pitch and not really scale 100%. But the tendency is for them to have a smaller dot pitch, perhaps even to save some panel space.

#22 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 11 April 2018 - 16:44

Thank you guys for your input as I am myself wading through all this now that I got this morning a MSI pc with a 1080Ti delivered.

Sadly the Alienware AW3418DW is not even offered for sale here about, only some sites will accept pre-order without mention when it will get filled in.
Tweakers.nl – our local review/news site- even did shut down its availability thread in its forum from the start.

Which brings me also to the Acer Predator;
Good to learn the Z35P with a VA panel has mayor issues.
Bringing me to the X34A, a 100 hz IPS monitor, may I conclude that is the same as the X34P you both mention & I can not find mentioned here about?

#23 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 11 April 2018 - 17:05

Bringing me to the X34A, a 100 hz IPS monitor, may I conclude that is the same as the X34P you both mention & I can not find mentioned here about?

I think the first version was the X34 (100hz) and then they recently released the X34P (120hz). Check the reviews to compare with both the X34 and the Alienware. The best detailed reviews that I know is from TFT Central (check the response time section, which is interesting). Perhaps the X34P may have come better or on par with Alienware. Even the X34 is worth it depending on the price.

#24 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 11 April 2018 - 17:53

Ups, found the X34P in an other store going for a steep 1300 Euro (((

But on Amazon.co.uk  I found it for 945 GBP, convertion makes  that 1082 Euro )))

So I caved for the X34P on Amazon.co.uk.

Customers there even explained one may mount it on a table vesa arm.

Great solution for the beast.

Review with lots of pics:

https://www.techspot...r-x34p-monitor/

Says its color performance is slightly less next to the X34, also the calibration out of the box, but in most other ways it comes out the better if not on par.

This makes it probably not worth to go for the new one at its steepest price setting.

But like with some shopping that came down to only +/- 90 Euro for me ))), that is next to a returned former model.

#25 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 11 April 2018 - 21:38

Customers there even explained one may mount it on a table vesa arm.

The VESA arm comes in handy, because the stand of these 34" monitors takes a lot of space on the table.

#26 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:52

For reference, here's a link to an online Pixels Per Inch/Dot Pitch calculator. Very helpful.

https://www.sven.de/dpi/

Btw, amazing purchase Kelp44! :icon_e_salute:

Let us know how the experience with RoF is on it.

#27 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 12 April 2018 - 16:44

Ordered a fitting vesa today and if all goes well the lot ships tomorrow, expected arrival Saturday or Monday ))) at which the puzzling may start ...
I feel the headache already )))

But hé there is always web search to pull one through,
if that falls short there is you guys
and the neighbour across the street who had an IT teaching job before he upgrade LOL
but that I spare as much as possible,
even an old fart still has his pride LOL

#28 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 12 April 2018 - 17:21

Ordered a fitting vesa today and if all goes well the lot ships tomorrow, expected arrival Saturday or Monday ))) at which the puzzling may start ...
I feel the headache already )))

But hé there is always web search to pull one through,
if that falls short there is you guys
and the neighbour across the street who had an IT teaching job before he upgrade LOL
but that I spare as much as possible,
even an old fart still has his pride LOL

Congrats on an awesome purchase! Let us know what you think when you play with the new setup. The X34P seems to be as good as the Alienware.

#29 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 12 April 2018 - 20:49

My previous rig is 7 years by now and had 2x 580 NVidias in SLI  with a 27” IPS 1920x1080, a birthday present like this one, more modest on the pc (a lot easier to tote around for sure) but with a beast of a monitor. So whatever 4K will look pretty awesome)))

I have waded through a lot of consumer reviews the last 3 days and this is the prevailing state of mind there too.

So if you guys really want a sound opinion on the stuff, better read up on specialists LOL

Anyway you were my biggest help for coming to a decision, once more thank you guys.

#30 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 12 April 2018 - 22:11

Glad to help  :icon_e_salute:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users