- - - - -

How I made my Throttle Quadrant

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 raker

raker

Posted 03 March 2017 - 13:18

How I made my throttle quadrant

First, I’d like to encourage people to try making their stuff as a project. Itwas fun and has made me satisfied with my simulators. However, there are plans for future modifications.

My personal experience

Making my quadrant was easy. With a bit of ingenuity and reasonable workmanship you can do this too. Be prepared to go back to or update your design if it needs refinement. By refining and reworking your project you will end up with a finished product which will work well, make your flying more fun and realistic and be something you’ll be proud of.

The necessary safety precautions

Workshop safety is important. You should know safety precautions and be capable of using the necessary tools since some could cause serious injury. You could possibly practice on waste material before handling the actual product. Like drilling holes, sawing and soldering. Now-a-days there are many tutorials on YouTube for this.

Material I used

To keep the costs of the project to a minimum I used as much material as I had at hand, though most can be found in most furniture or hardware stores.

Most of the building material was from an old drawer I found in a junk pile near home. The metal parts, bolts, screws and washers I bought at a hardware store and the wiring was from a CAT 5 network cable. 

Tools that might be necessary

see tools...

The Electronics

The electronics, slide and circular potentiometers and breadboard came from the downtown electronic shop.

The most expensive components were the two USB Stargate controller boards. Only one was necessary but this depends on how many control levers you’d like to add to your project.

EN-US'>Making my quadrant was easy. With a bit of ingenuity and reasonable workmanship you can do this too. Be prepared to go back to or update your design if it needs refinement. By refining and reworking your project you will end up with a finished product which will work well, make your flying more fun and realistic and be something you’ll be proud of.

The necessary safety precautions

Workshop safety is important. You should know safety precautions and be capable of using the necessary tools since some could cause serious injury. You could possibly practice on waste material before handling the actual product. Like drilling holes, sawing and soldering. Now-a-days there are many tutorials on YouTube for this.

Material I used

To keep the costs of the project to a minimum I used as much material as I had at hand, though most can be found in most furniture or hardware stores.

Most of the building material was from an old drawer I found in a junk pile near home. The metal parts, bolts, screws and washers I bought at a hardware store and the wiring was from a CAT 5 network cable. 

The Stargate NG model offers 24 digital connections for push buttons and 6 analog connections and is 60 x 40mm.

http://www.usbinterf...stargate_ng.pdf

The Stargate NX model is 50 x 32mm and offers 8 analog axis in addition to 24 digital connections for push buttons.

http://usbi.com.br/stargate-nx.html

The NG manual is at

http://www.usbinterf...stargate_ng.pdf

Optionally I found this controller.  

http://www.leobodnar...roducts/BU0836/

The Quadrant

This quadrant was made especially for Rise of Flight, though, with slight modifications can be adapted for IL2-BOS etc. to include more controls like flaps or landing gears.

The slide pots were used to control throttles, mixture and radiator and were coupled in pairs making it ideal for a bi-motor. Circular pots were used to control elevator, rudder and aileron trims. Blip switch was put on the main motor throttle.

Control levers, made of 2mm compensated,  were connected to the pots using ‘cut to measure’ bike spokes with enough length not to interfere with other levers and permit a travel distance of about 3 cm required by the slide pots. These, in turn, were connected to the USB controllers by cat 5 network cables cut to size.

Spacing between levers was done using iron nuts separated by washers to reduce friction. Observe that number of nuts, washers and levers add up to the same on each bolt so as to maintain the sides of the quadrant in parallel.

Problems and limitations

Two main problems I had were that as I didn’t have a vertical stand I had problems in drilling perfectly aligned holes on the opposite sides of the quadrant.

Then, since various levers were on the same axis moving one sometimes caused a movement in another on the same axis.

Installing and configuration

The USB Stargate controllers were immediately recognized by windows so it was just a matter of plug-n-play then choosing the various configurations in the game controls tab.

To date I haven’t made a control panel to make use of the 48 buttons available. But this is just a matter of deciding on the layout of the panel and grouping buttons according to similar functions then connecting via flat cables to the USB controllers and configuring in the game control tab.

Construction

The construction was done adapted to my pc desk. Measurements at to placing the quadrant was solely dependent on where I felt it would be comfortable in relation to distance from my arm/hand etc.  

It resulted that the length of the sides turned out to be 38cm, width 12,5cm and the height 9cm which depended on the width of the MDF boards I used.

The quadrant was fixed to the keyboard part of the table which meant that this is now fixed and can’t be closed.

The slide pots

These were fixed to the board. The wire connectors help hold them in place. With the mixture and radiator levers the bike spoke passes through a 2mm hole drilled in the plastic.

Since the throttle levers were positioned lower than the mixture and radiator, the pots board was turned upside down while the latter was upright.

Stabilizers

I use two B10K pots for elevator and aileron stabilizers. I will still add a vertical stabilizer.

Obs.

At the moment, as this is still an ongoing project, only the slide pots and blip switch are in use. I still can connect 48 switches.

I must mention that because of the limited analog connectors on each board I decided to use 2 Seagate usb boards so as to have the necessary quantity of pots connected. In this case I have 9 pots in use: 7 slide and 2 rotaries.

The number of levers, nuts and washers on each axis add up to the same to keep the sides parallel. In view of this I added an extra piece of a lever next to the altitude throttle so that each axis would have 4 levers, 4 nuts and 10 washers.

The annexed pictures should be self-explanatory as the construction methods.

Conclusion

This certainly isn't the best solution but its construction is simple and straight forward and at a minimum cost in material and man-hours.

OBS: the pics marked 'copia' has the measurements.

Attached Files

• Attached File  tools.JPG   19.86KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  stargate.JPG   51.11KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  1.jpg   46.13KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   40.74KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   44.15KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   41.54KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  5.jpg   48.62KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  6.jpg   50.74KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  7.jpg   49.49KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  8.jpg   48.41KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  9.jpg   45.58KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  10.jpg   45.06KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  11.jpg   45.32KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  12.jpg   45.28KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  13.jpg   37.11KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  14.jpg   32.7KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  15 - Cópia.jpg   58.5KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  16.jpg   34.63KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  17 - Cópia.jpg   43.82KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  18.jpg   24.26KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  19.jpg   32.32KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  20.jpg   25.66KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  21.jpg   28.81KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  22.jpg   30.03KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  23.jpg   34.25KB   2 downloads

#2 Surfimp

Surfimp
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA, USA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 17:46

This is awesome! Kudos to you for taking on and completing the project.

:icon_e_salute:

Founding Member, SPADaholics Anonymous

#3 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:06

Legal, senhor raker!! Muito legal!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users