- - - - -

steam version vs website version

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 kkang2828

kkang2828
  • LocationGwangju City, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:39

I'm a newbie, and I have a lot of questions.

1. When I tried to download Rise Of Flight: United Edition(ROF: UE) from the website, it was like, 20KB/s. So, I switched to the Steam version and it downloaded much faster. Any reason for this?

2. The size between the Steam version and the website version was different. The Steam version was 5.9MB and the website version was 8.6MB. Is there less content in the Steam version?(this is linked to the third question)

3. Is the Steam version identical to the website version? I mean, like, exactly the same in every way?(I know that Steam DLCs are incompatible with the website version)

4. While I was searching for the answers to the questions above, I noticed that the latest news was from 2015. And the Manual was also from 2015 and was outdated. Are the developers running out of money or are they too busy with IL-2: BOS/BOM?

5. I launched the game, got the feel of the game mechanics from a few quick missions, then tried to play multiplayer. But I was disappointed because there were so few servers and only a handful of players.(It was Sunday night) Is everyone playing single player or is the entire player base shrinking?

6. If you buy a plane from the store that has two variants, like the Bristol F.2B or the Albatross D.II, do I get both variants or just one?

#2 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:41

1. Steam servers are just faster. As added bonus, steam lets you pause download and resume it at will...

2. No, it's the same game. See 8.

3. Yes, it's the same game. See 8.

4. Too busy with IL-2.

5. The player base is shrinking. The busiest hours are evenings 19-23 Central European time (GMT +1). On wargrounds these days, 5 players per side is not unusual, 10 is good and 20 is to good to be true. 

6. Usually you get both variants. Albatros D.II used to be small exception, you get both planes in one package, but you needed to buy field mods for each variant... I think they fixed it in 2015.

7, Can you buy planes for your account in RoF store and play them using steam version of game? Yes you can.

8. Does steam version of RoF contain non-steam version? Yes it does :). If you look into game files, you can find settings.exe (i think it's data\settings.exe), launcher for store version of RoF. You can use steam to get the game and stop using it after you get it.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#3 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:55

What about the Hanriot HD.1 and Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter? If I buy them, do I get the HD.2 seaplane and the type 9700 single seat bomber? I think they're different from the engine variants.

If you get both variants, how do I change between them?

Edited by kkang2828, 28 February 2017 - 09:59.

#4 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:56

Another question. Does this game support Freetrack?

#5 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:18

They are listed separately in game.

And Fretrack is supported.Quite a few players here use it or a varient of TIR alterantive

sig.png

#6 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:05

What about the Hanriot HD.1 and Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter? If I buy them, do I get the HD.2 seaplane and the type 9700 single seat bomber? I think they're different from the engine variants.

If you get both variants, how do I change between them?

They are two separate planes that are bundled together as one purchase. You select between them same way you select between Nieuport 17 and Nieuport 17 GBR.

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#7 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 28 February 2017 - 23:41

Thanks a lot. Do you get a noticeable advantage from head tracking devices?

#8 Surfimp

Surfimp
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA, USA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:10

Thanks a lot. Do you get a noticeable advantage from head tracking devices?

That depends... how much do you like looking around with a hat switch, or a mouse?

Being able to look around your plane, zoom in & out fluidly, and spot & track other aircraft is a vital skill that has to be developed in order to enjoy this game. How you choose to do that is up to you, and there's often fierce debate about which is "the best," but headtracking is certainly one of (if not "the") most popular ways to do this in 2017.

Founding Member, SPADaholics Anonymous

#9 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 01 March 2017 - 17:23

To expand upon Surfimp's point a bit.

There are some excellent pilots out there who don't use any head-tracking at all... They might be using the hat switch, or the mouse for view, and they're practiced enough with it that they can still be very successful without head-tracking.

On the other hand, I find head-tracking (I use FreeTrack with a DiY ballcap), to be easier, more intuitive and more immersive. It seems much more natural to simply look where I want to see.  ;)

That said, there is a learning curve to head-tracking as well.  Initially, getting it to work properly and smoothly can be a bit of a challenge (some say "headache"), and once working, you'll quickly find out just how often (and how much) you move your head around without even realizing it. :P Finally, of course, it's not a 1:1 view ratio -- by that, I mean that if I want to look 90 degrees left, I don't actually turn my head 90 degrees, but rather only ~10-20.

So, those things can take some time to sort out and get used to...

Does it give an advantage?  Possibly, but probably much less than most might think at first (with the exception of not needing both hands to fly and look around), but I can honestly say, having gotten used to it, I won't fly *any* flightsim without active head-tracking these days. For me, personally, it ranks as the second priority (after having a joystick, which is hands-down #1).  

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

#10 Surfimp

Surfimp

Posted 01 March 2017 - 18:42

+1 to what FourSpeed said above. I am fortunate to have some real-world flight experience in my background, and I enjoy flight sims for giving me the sensations of flying without the huge costs and headaches of actually flying in real life.

From that perspective, a joystick, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, TrackIR and a computer that can run my preferred flight sim well is actually an enormous cost savings (relative to the cost of fllght training / renting or owning an aircraft / etc etc). And, for me, those peripherals make the experience.

So, that's an "advantage", but not in a "win at the game" sense.

#11 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:59

I don't have a joystick(YET) so I don't know what looking around with a hat switch feels like.

However, I read on this forum that some people have problems looking around diagonally with a hat switch.

But I'm planning to buy the Thrustmaster T.16000M, which is an ambidextrous joystick, so maybe I'll use my left hand to fly and my right hand to look around with the mouse.

#12 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:35

A couple more questions.

7. What is Teamspeak and how do you use it?

8. What does the 'Improved Gunnery' setting actually do to improve your gunnery?

#13 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:38

Here's an article I wrote on Teamspeak that might be helpful:
https://riseofflight...uide-teamspeak/

I "think" improved gunnery decreases your bullet spread, so more rounds hit exactly where you are pointing. Someone more knowledgeable than me on this can either confirm or correct this. ;)

Welcome to ROF! :icon_e_salute:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#14 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:56

I want to give a thanks to you, HotleadColdfeet, your steam version guide is just GREAT. I'm in the course of reading it. It's quite an eyeful, but I can manage.

#15 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:36

Still another question. I hope I'm not bothering you guys too much.

9. Now that the Nieuport 17.C1 RUS is free, does the store version of the ILYA Muromets package include the Sikorsky S-16 just like the steam version?

#16 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 02 March 2017 - 14:15

9. No, you buy it separately. It includes Albatros D.III, though.

Forum moderator.

#17 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:27

10. I've heard that some german planes have no mixture/radiator control, and thus easy to control even in full real servers. What german planes are they exactly?

#18 Surfimp

Surfimp

Posted 07 March 2017 - 20:44

The Albatros D.III and D.Va* have automatic mixture, but manual radiator. If you just remember to open the radiator to full on take-off, you will be fine (you can get more fancy than that but full open will at least prevent the dreaded "newbie steam trail")

P.S. - the Thrustmaster T.16000M is excellent, I've had one for a few years and really enjoy it. Hope you do, too.

* Edit: thanks Trup for the correction re: the Albie D.II

#19 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 07 March 2017 - 21:37

The only German planes that have manual mixture are rotary based fokkers - E.III, Dr.I, D.VIII. If it's German biplane, it has no mixture control ;). Halberstadt D.II and Albatros D.II have no radiator control, either.

Forum moderator.

#20 Foghorn_

Foghorn_

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:23

Okay just one more question. I haven't purchased anything yet still, but plan to soon. I redownload the game from steam. My profile shows I have one license activated. "ROF FREE2PLAY". Will this be a problem if I purchase DLC off of steam?

#21 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:08

Unfortunately, The Thrustmaster T.16000M is too expensive for me. I think Thrustmaster has stopped production of the T.16000M. So now I'm going to buy the T. Flight HOTAS X, which is also from Thrustmaster. Guess I'll have to use the hat switch.

#22 Surfimp

Surfimp

Posted 08 March 2017 - 13:55

It looks to me like the T.16000M is still in production? It's just an updated version with refreshed exterior colors / graphics.

http://www.thrustmas...cts/t16000m-fcs

#23 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 08 March 2017 - 14:59

FCS looks to be a HOTAS, and much more expansive than standalone T.16000M is/was?

Forum moderator.

#24 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:05

Yes, the T.16000M FCS is much more expensive.

#25 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:48

11. Are there going to be any more sales?

12. Which planes have movable upper wing guns? I want to try the Albert Ball thing.

Edited by kkang2828, 11 March 2017 - 13:42.

#26 Surfimp

Surfimp

Posted 11 March 2017 - 15:56

Almost certainly will be more sales.

The Nieuport 11 and 17, and SE5a, have upper wing guns you can elevate to shoot at targets above.

A number of the other planes have field mods that allow you to fit an extra gun on the upper wing and do the same.

#27 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 11 March 2017 - 23:25

Could you tell me roughly when those sales are going to be?

So every airplane that has an overwing gun(including weapon mods) can do the Albert Ball thing?

#28 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:16

I think I was too specific on the tenth question. I just found out that the R.E.8 does not have both radiator and mixture control. So I want to know which entente planes don't have radiator/mixture control.

#29 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:50

I think I was too specific on the tenth question. I just found out that the R.E.8 does not have both radiator and mixture control. So I want to know which entente planes don't have radiator/mixture control.

All of the Entente planes have "mixture" control and the ones with liquid cooled engines have "radiator" control with the exception of the Spads(at least not visible in the cockpit).  

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#30 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:44

13. WHEN are any more sales going to be?

#31 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 13 March 2017 - 18:22

They typically have 4 or 5 of them a year -- usually during the big holidays -- Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.

That said, even if there isn't a formal sale, you still get a volume discount (on the RoF site, at least), which is comparable to sale pricing.

I can't speak for how Steam does things, because I don't have anything to do with Steam, or Steam games....

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users