Photo
- - - - -

Problems with Head tracking(opentrack)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AgentPotato

AgentPotato

Posted 07 February 2017 - 22:22

So I've just made my own trackir and I got to say. I feel really proud of myself. I paid around $30 for my setup while the actual one might have sent me back almost $150! But anyway, the problem I have is that when I'm in mouse flying mode, I can't look around. I'm only allowed to lean left and right. But when I put on joystick mode I get full access to my tracking. I don't have a joystick and I can't figure out how to use tracking with mouse only mode. Help!

#2 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 07 February 2017 - 23:26

Frankly I don't think it is possible to use head tracking in "Mouse Mode". Most head tracking is nothing more that a MOUSE emulator, and by checking the "mouse input" it overrides the head tracking. 

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#3 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:43

Plus, IIRC RoF's mouse control mode is coded to enable looking around only after doing something special, so you can't actually control the plane with the mouse and look around at the same time, which might also interfere with headtracking.

Bottom line - take some of that money you saved making your own version of TrackIR and buy a cheap joystick - RoF is way better with a stick.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#4 AgentPotato

AgentPotato

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:10

Ah.... bummer!  Well do you guys know any good cheap joysticks I can look for? 

#5 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:22

Just checked Amazon - several types of Logitech and other sticks for under $50 (some new. some used, some as low as $15-20).  I haven't used any of them (except for the Logitech Force 3D Pro that I've been using for the last 10 years or so), but I'd say it's a safe bet that any stick that isn't broken would probably be better than trying to use mouse control.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#6 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:44

Hey, I havent had much experience, but I know this stick has quite a few different functions and can even modify for the size of you hand. I've tried it on RoF and it works great. I cant really compare it to others as I dont actually have much experience, but all im saying is that this is a cheap stick that defiantly works great.

Heres the stick on amazon: https://www.amazon.c...=flight stick 5

Always remember you are unique!

Just like everyone else.

#7 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 08 February 2017 - 17:20

Hey, I havent had much experience, but I know this stick has quite a few different functions and can even modify for the size of you hand. I've tried it on RoF and it works great. I cant really compare it to others as I dont actually have much experience, but all im saying is that this is a cheap stick that defiantly works great.

Heres the stick on amazon: https://www.amazon.c...=flight stick 5

If you're budget is even more modest, this one also works great -->  Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

I've been using them for years in RoF, FSX, DCS, Falcon BMS and BoS.  They're not particularly high-end (note the price ;)), but they're quite robust and have twist for rudder control.  While they don't have as many buttons as I'd like (particularly for BMS or DCS), they've got enough to handle the important stuff in RoF.  I can heartily recommend it.

Cheers,

4 :icon_e_salute:

PS> At OP: I agree with Panthercules that you might not be able to use your head-tracking in mouse-mode.  One thing you can try, just for giggles, is hold the right mouse button down and see if it works then.   IIRC, holding left mouse button and moving the mouse controls aircraft steering, and holding right button and moving it controls view.  As noted, you can't do both at the same time, and I'm 1000% in favor of scrapping mouse-control entirely for one of the joysticks Stumble or I pointed out.  Mouse control is simply *awful*

#8 =CfC=FatherTed

=CfC=FatherTed

Posted 08 February 2017 - 19:35

For $10 more than the FLY 5 you can get a T16000M.  I've had mine for a few years now and it's still going strong.  Quite a few Roffers use this stick.

#9 MakW

MakW
  • LocationZuidlaren The Netherlands

Posted 24 May 2017 - 19:55

For 40 Euro: Microsoft Sidewinder Force 2.

The forces tell something like almost stalling! (you hear AND feel it, that convinces me ;)

And Panthercules is sooo true: any almost but not yet broken joystick is a major advantage over anything else.

To make it strong: without JS you are target only ...

Have fun! MakW

#10 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 24 May 2017 - 20:42

Concerning the FLY, there's good points and bad points.

On the downside, some bits of the material are sensitive: specifically, the buttons in the top part, that' you'd use your thumb to get to, they can break quite easily. Don't assign them to anything that you'd use in an emergency, since you tend to use more force then.

On a more positive note, it does have an incorporated throttle. I actually own a better joystick, but my Saitek throttle broke and while it isn't repaired I'm using the FLY just for the throttle part. It has two separate controls, which is good enough, I use it for throttle and mixture. I use other joystick buttons for the Radiator and it's ok.

Just my experience.

#11 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 25 May 2017 - 13:52

Bidus point is well taken. I use a MSFFB2 but have the Saitek/Madcatz as a second conrtol using the dual throttle for mixture/radiator and Hi alt throttle. Hat switch works flares and I have various assignments for other buttons.

Having used both if you are limited to one I think the Logitech is better unless you can get a MSFFB 2.

#12 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 28 May 2017 - 17:47

I agree with Klugermann about the msffb2, awesome stick but just not enough buttons. I tried adding a gaming controller but for some reason, the buttons would conflict with each other, probably have the same driver as there both MS. have to see if I can remap the controller. Want to make a control box for my cockpit when I build it.  

If you have any second-hand store around like value village and such, they usually have a ton of gaming controllers and stick laying around, got a set of pedals and a msffb2 all for 25 bucks, how cool is that and they work great, like brand new.

#13 MakW

MakW
  • LocationZuidlaren The Netherlands

Posted 28 May 2017 - 21:55

Good evening gents,

Hillbilly said 'Frankly I don't think it is possible to use head tracking in "Mouse Mode".'

I am working on Opentrack cap-led headtracking with white and IR leds

and think in some modes mouse and headtracking is just added, in fact you can choose.

So look around by headtracking AND mouse, because they are added or mixed (i guess)

However it may not be a big point:

if LED's are triggering the PS3 camera OK then Opentrack outputs very precise mouse control,

Maybe even faster and more precise as my trackball mouse!

But I have still problems with the PS3 Eye cam driver,

reporting back later if I find a good solution.

happy flying, MakW

#14 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:27

Concerning the FLY, there's good points and bad points.

On the downside, some bits of the material are sensitive: specifically, the buttons in the top part, that' you'd use your thumb to get to, they can break quite easily. Don't assign them to anything that you'd use in an emergency, since you tend to use more force then.

On a more positive note, it does have an incorporated throttle. I actually own a better joystick, but my Saitek throttle broke and while it isn't repaired I'm using the FLY just for the throttle part. It has two separate controls, which is good enough, I use it for throttle and mixture. I use other joystick buttons for the Radiator and it's ok.

Just my experience.

Hi,

How do you mean that you use it for mixture as well? U mean you "unclip" them so one side of the throttle is assigned to throttle and the other to mixture?

Not sure if any of that made sense :)

Salute!

Stumble

Always remember you are unique!

Just like everyone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users