Photo
- - - - -

Skyrim! my other game of choice.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 13aceofspades13

13aceofspades13

Posted 02 February 2017 - 16:27

now this isn't going to be all about Skyrim, just a lot, i remember when it came out in 2011 when i was in trade school, all the kids that didn't have piles of homework to do were in their dorm rooms playing it, and when we would get out of class the sound of the intro for Skyrim filled the halls at MCTI, i didn't understand, but i do now... i have now understood for years!

The very original intent of my gaming PC was i wanted something that would run Skyrim maximum graphics full FPS without even breaking a sweat, put forward quite a bit of money, and Skyrim was the first game to grace this sytem back in 2014! soon enough I was burning through the game and about the time i reached level 30 is when i started to miss flight sims, and Rise Of Flight caught my attention! needless to say wasn't long after that... that i was hooked on that and Skyrim had some competition on my gaming PC. at the time i was cutting my teeth in the Camel, learning very hard lessons as to what happens when you don't play good flight sims for years, i was still on the grind on Skyrim. All my friends had it on Xbox 360 still, here i was eating the levels and ground my way up to level 80, beating the game, then installing mods to enhance the immersion and graphics. 

If i had to tell you who my favorite follower was it's easy, Serana... for lots people it's the same, but i quickly noted on Facebook groups and forums this follower has a love hate relationship, either you have horny obsessed teens and adults acting like they are in love with the character, like the picture of "What i would like to eat if i were in skyrim." and there is Serana, then the other side is people making fun of her like she actually exists, truth be told i liked her story line, I think she goes well with a "Knight." based character, and i have always been fascinated with vampire stories, so having a vampire follower was just cool to me (though i had her cured in both my accounts.) 

Rise Of Flight soon over took Skyrim though, i started making my own skins, and now i frequent Wargrounds on the weekends, my Skyrim recently had been sitting for months, decided to turn it on and play it last night, it was nice, it's a game you can easily go back to for me, and you can't say that for a lot of games, but i am ready for the next elder scrolls game, i hope they do a little better than they did with Fallout 4. 

#2 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 02 February 2017 - 18:18

Funny, my progression was opposite.  Been flying WWI sims in one form or another since Red Baron (non-3D), took a break for grad school, marriage, kid, then in 2006 (after a few degrees) the "sim-lite" First Eagles was released and that got me back into flight sims, then modded versions of CFS3, OFF2, 3, and finally decided to try RoF when ICE was released (the rumours about needing a super computer were well overstated).

Picked up Skyrim to play with my son about the same time the last disastrous patch for RoF was rushed to release that December.  It brought the Eastern Front to the game, hurray! but really buggered up more than it solved in terms of FM.  Community beta testers were never consulted.  Off the box now (yeah, still bitter about how things were left...).

Now happy to say I enjoy a much wider range of games, the Bethesda titles are all fine works and I mod them heavily but with good procedures. Started Dark Souls 1 and it is occupying a lot of my time.  Arma is where I get my fix with squadmates (cheers fellows!).  Suddenly I don't miss flight sims so much anymore.

#3 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 02 February 2017 - 19:34

I picked up my copy of Skyrim on 11/11/11 and played the hell out of it.  Some people love it, others hate it.  For all it's flaws, I happen to love it.  Especially the ability to mod it to suit one's own tastes.  Kudos to Bethesda for making that possible.  I firmly believe it adds to the longevity of a game / sim when players can add content and alter existing aspects of it.    

Fast forward to 2016 when Skyrim Special Edition released and I grabbed it immediately since it was given for free to PC owners of the original version and all DLC.    Once the mods started rolling in for it, it became the only version of Skyrim to play for me because the 64 bit added so much stability and the additional lighting effects were a welcome change.  Still waiting on the new SKSE scripting language to be released that will open it up even more for mods, but even so...there's many thousands already out there now for it.  

I bounce around between Skyrim SE, Rift (MMO), WoW (MMO), RoF and WOFF UE.  Each one has aspects that I find keep bringing me back well after the games have gotten long in the tooth.    Pats work on PWCG for RoF is excellent and I really appreciate his commitment to making it a top quality mod.   On rare occasion I have popped on the servers and enjoyed some great duels with some of the folks who frequent these forums.  

I'm looking forward to a pacific theater WWII sim from 777.  That will be another day 1 purchase for me.  I've got 1946 complete with the latest CUP mod - but it still just doesn't do it for me.  

#4 13aceofspades13

13aceofspades13

Posted 14 February 2017 - 17:21

Special Edition looks nice, but they don't seem to have the mods the regular Skyrim does. 

#5 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 14 February 2017 - 18:37

Special Edition looks nice, but they don't seem to have the mods the regular Skyrim does. 

It has a lot of them, however until a SKSE 64 bit version is created, the mods will be limited in capabilities.   The creators of SKSE are working towards the release of a SKSE 64 version and hopefully it is completed in the next few months.

#6 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:00

Textures are just file replacements, you can't really count them in as "thousands" of mods.  Yes SKSE is super important but the SkyUI is just as key since so many of the scripted mods use it for configuration, and as far as I know that group hasn't committed to making it x64.  Things may have changed lately, update me.

#7 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 16 February 2017 - 19:40

There are a few hundred files in the Skyrim SE Nexus.   I've been adding mods from there and it's great.  I'm personally running 251 plug ins.  

http://www.nexusmods...ds/categories/?

#8 13aceofspades13

13aceofspades13

Posted 29 March 2017 - 16:11

Textures are just file replacements, you can't really count them in as "thousands" of mods.  Yes SKSE is super important but the SkyUI is just as key since so many of the scripted mods use it for configuration, and as far as I know that group hasn't committed to making it x64.  Things may have changed lately, update me.

yea SKSE and SkyUI are really important, both of which I have. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users