Photo
- - - - -

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#81 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:34

Might be Fighting the Flying Circus, his war memoirs. Free read, the same for Richthofens book. Both great books.

Thanks, Seawolf! :icon_e_salute:

#82 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:22

Eddie Rickenbacker also has an autobiography which covers his racing years before the war and his life after the war.  He definitely had a very interesting life as he survived many situations that could have gotten him killed (survived two plane crashes after the war one resulting in being left adrift at sea for over 2 weeks).  At one point he owned Indianapolis Speedway.

#83 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:46

Thanks, Seawolf! :icon_e_salute:

Sure  :icon_e_salute:

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#84 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 04 January 2018 - 13:02

I just started reading Ken Follett's century trilogy. The first part, "Fall of Giants" gives a great context to WWI. Although quite long, it's a real page turner.

#85 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 04 January 2018 - 13:04

Yes it was Fighting the Fying Circus, Bidu an ecxellent  read though....

yedwwtfx.gif

#86 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 January 2018 - 19:13

I listened to the free audio book of Fighting The Flying Circus..... I suggest NOT listening to that in leu of the written version.

#87 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 04 January 2018 - 21:10

I listened to the free audio book of Fighting The Flying Circus..... I suggest NOT listening to that in leu of the written version.

Was it the one read by John Pruden? He is one of the best narrators, and I really, really loved it.

#88 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:08

Not sure. There were about 3 different people doing it probably volunteers. It probably wasn't the same version.

#89 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 06 January 2018 - 16:59

Try this one:

https://www.audible....book/B007NKBV5I

#90 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:23

The Frontiersman by Allan W. Eckert.  

#91 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon
  • LocationMineola, NY USA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 17:55

I am currently reading Lincoln's Lieutenants by Stephen Sears, one of the top US Civil War historians.

[EDITED]

Next up will most likely be The Kaiser's Army by David Stone.  This is a one volume history of the German Army in WWI and will probably be an excellent companion piece to Doughty's superb, Pyrrhic Victory, a one volume history of the French Army in WWI, which I finished about three months ago...

Portions of this post removed for violation of Forum Rule #7 (and several responsive posts also removed):

7. Comments containing profanity, personal insults, accusations of cheating, excessive rudeness, vulgarity, drug propaganda, political and religious discussion and propaganda, all manifestations of Nazism and racist statements, calls to overthrow governments by force, inciting ethnic hatred, humiliation of persons of a particular gender, sexual orientation or religion are not allowed and will result in a ban.

Black Falcon

#92 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 15 January 2018 - 20:49

OK Chaps please, the furniture...

If you really want to argue I suggest you make a new thread. : - )

Lets not have this thread locked... it's doing so well.

Thanks!

Oh, I am reading some book on the 617 squadron.

Very interesting.

Flying a Lancaster at 50ft..... in the dark... gosh.

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#93 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon

Posted 15 January 2018 - 21:17

Ok, Plank...  I agree... 

Black Falcon

#94 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 15 January 2018 - 21:25

I'm still only 1/3 way through 'Tragedy and Hope' :lol:

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#95 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:40

Speaking of the civil war I really need to finish Bruce Canton's The Coming Fury and read the rest of the series.  The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara is really good book too.  

#96 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:08

I'm reading "Open Cockpit" by Arthur Gould Lee. Before that i read Rickenbacker's book, Richthofens "Roter Kampfflieger" and Ernst Udets book "Mein Fliegerleben".

This thread triggered me to reread Rickenbacker's book. It's been many years since I originally did, and it was before RoF.
Things of note to me:

1. He uses French terms for manoeuvres, like vrille and renversement. The latter he performed a LOT! Webster's says its "an airplane manoeuvre consisting of a half-roll followed by a half-loop." So...a split-s then, but in the book I think he referred to climbing renversement too, so an Immelmann, or basically anything combining a roll and half loop?

2. Archie was heavy, but not considered deadly on average, except around balloons and specific important targets. Nuff said.

3. He's very critical of the N28 and basically says provisioning of US forces bordered on criminal. He started writing it in 1918 and published in 1919. So memories were raw I guess.

4. Lots of references to US forces 'proving' themselves. So I assume that was a response to some way they were perceived.

5. Recon planes at 22k ft and he being unable to get as high.

6. Plenty of low-med alt patrols in Spads as they hunted enemy ground attack aircraft (1918). Nothing unhistorical about low-level then, though he seems to have a cutoff point at about 1000ft because of small arms fire.

7. Planes seemed to catch fire quite a lot.

8. Lots of decoys, tricks and stepped formations.

A good, easy read.

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

#97 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon

Posted 21 January 2018 - 23:46

paulmf2...

Interesting note from Rickenbacker that US Forces were seen as proving themselves.

Historically US Forces were of no value until around the last 4 months of the war when they proved themselves to be competent soldiers.  However, they were fighting an exhausted German Army that historians see as still the most formidable force on the battlefield even at the end of the war.

Part of the problem was that Pershing wouldn't allow US Forces to be commanded by French commanders with the exception of the African American troops who he really didn't care about.  Until he was forced to acquiesce, Pershing was more interested in building a US Army than he was in helping the French.  Had he allowed US troops to go in under french command, US troops would have evolved much faster...

Black Falcon

#98 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 22 January 2018 - 00:05

At least the US didn't make the mistake of fighting a war they could not win...

#99 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:08

2. Archie was heavy, but not considered deadly on average, except around balloons and specific important targets. Nuff said.

We'll have to see if Flying Circus will continue the legacy of Rise of Flak, although this is partially fault of the mission builders who set flak to ace levels.

#100 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:15

It would be cool if attacking balloons resulted in horrifying levels of flak being fired in your direction Instead of seeing just a couple of flak bursts then all of a sudden having your plane get blown out of the sky.

#101 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:55

It would be cool if attacking balloons resulted in horrifying levels of flak being fired in your direction Instead of seeing just a couple of flak bursts then all of a sudden having your plane get blown out of the sky.

They should rework flak. The way it is, in some missions it is just suicide and urges people to make a bombing run and then ditch the plane to respawn. I was reading a text on artillery and the percentage of volume versus accuracy is absurdly different than what we see at ROF, hence the moniker "Rise of Flak".

The text says:

The preparations for the Battle of Cambrai in November 1917 were novel in many respects. For the first time, an air defence plan was an integral part of the overall scheme of attack. Seven AA Batteries were allotted to the front that was to be assaulted, and their covering fire swept up to 3500 yards ahead of the British line. Two gun sections were made ready to follow up the advance.

Cambrai offensive had approximately 15km of front, so they had two AA bateries for each 5km of mud (one block on ROF's map). This in 1917. And it continues:

Most of the gun Sections arrived in the field of battle without having fired a live shot. One source says that for example, in the busy week ending 27 April 1918, a total of 10 enemy aircraft were shot down and another 5 damaged, of a total of 2039 engaged.

Which accounts for 0.5% of aircraft engaged and shot down in 1918, supposing that they had at least 50% more AA batteries than in 1917. So whatever we have in-game, be it by default or by what some mission builders set, is waaaay off mark. 

#102 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:11

Is there any stats regarding number flak rounds fired before one aircraft was shot down?

#103 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:16

Is there any stats regarding number flak rounds fired before one aircraft was shot down?

There might be, but the previus quote gives us an idea:

"in the busy week ending 27 April 1918, a total of 10 enemy aircraft were shot down and another 5 damaged, of a total of 2039 engaged."

You can calculate the speed of the aircraft, the range of the guns and the rate of fire. You will come to a basic number of shots for each plane engaged.

#104 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:27

I just remembered that I was doing a research on flak and I got this text about the London Gotha raids.

Average of 22 Gothas per raid (27 raids), and 24 planes downed by British action (flak / aircraft defenses). It gives a 4% ratio of planes downed either by flak or aircraft defenses. The raids were usually done at the altitude of 15.000ft. The last raid of the war was carried out on the night of the 19th-20th of October 1918.  This was a combined Gotha/Giant raid, and of the 38 Gothas taking part three were shot down by fighters and a further three were brought down by anti-aircraft fire -- this account for a flak accuracy of 8%. As a way of comparison with air defenses, in December 1918 there were 286 AA guns and 387 searchlights in charge of London's anti-aircraft defense.

So in their in and out run, they might have been over dozens of AA guns at a time. 

Sorry for the off-topic.

#105 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:40

The game is pretty historical. Ambient flak is always firing night and day, even when no one is around, even when the servers are down. So it's only natural that - to keep the ratios right, mind you! - whenever someone pops up, he will be shot down by flak mercilessly.

#106 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 22 January 2018 - 15:45

The game is pretty historical. Ambient flak is always firing night and day, even when no one is around, even when the servers are down. So it's only natural that - to keep the ratios right, mind you! - whenever someone pops up, he will be shot down by flak mercilessly.

Dang it didn't think of that  :icon_lol:

#107 KesaAnna

KesaAnna
  • Locationpretty mountains , but the climate is too hot

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:53

" Memoirs of service afloat during the War Between the States "  By Raphael Semmes. 

the great age of piracy passed before the advent of photography --- except Semmes enemies called him a pirate  , and in a famous photo of Semmes aboard his commerce raider he looks quite cavalierly piratical. 

He was Catholic , originally from Maryland , a lawyer , an Admiral , a Confederate, and , so Wikipedia says , the most successful commerce raider of all time.  I think I'm in love. 

So when i found out he wrote memoirs I had to have them. 

It is really two books in one. 

The subject of the first eight chapters is really , " Why the Confederacy ?  And why I threw in my lot with the Confederacy. " 

Semmes  was a career U.S. Navy officer , from 1826 ,  but somewhere along the line , and for some reason, he also became a lawyer. 

And in this part of the book , he sounds like a very shrewd and astute lawyer who believes absolutely in his case. 

As i said , his enemies called him a pirate , and there was some talk of putting him on trial for piracy , but nothing ever came of it. 

I suspect some of his enemies  read his book and thought better of tangling with him in court, even as a defeated adversary. 

The other half of the book is a high seas action adventure story that might as well be about pirates. 

It was an agrarian society fighting an industrial society, the least things were improvised , they never really stood a chance .  So , yes , a bit like pirates. 

And , finally , in my estimation he is actually a pretty good writer. 

" I thought of Nieuports that did not have ashtrays installed.  " -- Plank

#108 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:18

The road home. by Rose Tremain.

It started off well and has been continuing in a similar vein. No pirates so far.

There is a melancholic air to it which I found a tad disturbing and it put me off

but I decided not to give and a flew on. I am glad I did.

Salute!

Plank. ( Estimated peer, baron and price of thieves (accountant))

-

Captured again!

#109 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:44

“All Things in Moderation”, by C.S. Trupobaw

#110 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:17

C.S. Trupobaw, GMO!

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#111 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:54

lol

#112 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 April 2018 - 16:45

GMO: 1) genetically modified organism, 2) Goodness my oligarchy, reverse of OMG, Oh my God.

I'm going with #1.

#113 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:18

WTF, reverse of FTW, for the win.

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#114 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter
  • LocationOver The Front!

Posted 24 April 2018 - 19:41

I just got "the Annotated Hobbit" in the mail today.

#115 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 24 April 2018 - 19:56

I'm expecting "Sopwith: the man and his aircraft" by mail. Taking too long  :icon_e_biggrin:

#116 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 24 April 2018 - 20:52

I just got "the Annotated Hobbit" in the mail today.

Is that the one with Elrond's notes?

;)

#117 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 24 April 2018 - 23:05

"The American heritage book of the revolution."

- by the editors of "American heritage" : The Magazine of History.

Interesting guide to the whys and wherefores of the event.

6/10 but has pictures... ok 7.5/10

Essentially the French saved the day. yey! Go the French!

and they (The "Americans" and the French ) kicked the English in the backside.

Back when men were real men and rain interrupts play due to wet powder etc....

( though bayonets still worked fine...)

Heck is all I can say.

Interesting points on guerilla tactics when your force is smaller and use of boats when in a tight squeeze,

and how the country was divided up into states/areas that were not exactly on good terms....

As a introduction it is good. Though tediously the chapters need editing... sigh. 

Salute!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#118 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:50

"Winged warfare" -WAB

https://archive.org/...rfare00bishuoft

He made the Nieuport sound dazzling... mmm...

Salute!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#119 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:32

Just finished the Blue Max. 

Forum moderator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users