Is 30FPS camera okay?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 31 January 2017 - 21:55

HI,

I'm still making and configuring a home-made DIY 3 point head tracker.

b3317503-d99d-4d44-8a2a-f5172437cc43_zps

The camera I'm using is the Logitech C300 with a max of 30 FPS with the IR filter taken out. (At least I think it is, I don't know how to make it run faster).

fbc09843-35a1-4d30-8aef-cf614960c36f_zps

My question Is, should I bother trying to find the right model and spending $20 NZD on a ps3 eye or will this camera do?

Thanks

Always remember you are unique!

Just like everyone else.

#2 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 31 January 2017 - 23:50

I can't give you any info on that particular camera, but I use a $10, 30 fps cheapie from Fry's Electronics (here in the USA), and it works fine for me with FreeTrack (even in Win 10).

One thing I did do with mine was pop out the IR filter and put in a tiny piece of floppy disk material.  So, it is useless as a normal light camera, but it still sees the IR leds nicely. YMMV.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

#3 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:33

Yes spend the 20 on the ps3 eye camera.

You will get a solid 75 fps at the larger frame size.

It's totally worth it.

and there is still one left at "cash convertors" for $12nzd. 

but then you might have to add postage.

so 20nzd is a good price.

+ you need to buy the driver:

https://codelaborato...cts/eye/driver/

Have you started playing RoF yet?

S!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#4 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:28

Yes spend the 20 on the ps3 eye camera.

You will get a solid 75 fps at the larger frame size.

It's totally worth it.

and there is still one left at "cash convertors" for $12nzd. 

but then you might have to add postage.

so 20nzd is a good price.

+ you need to buy the driver:

https://codelaborato...cts/eye/driver/

Have you started playing RoF yet?

S!

Plank.

Hi again plank,

I can't find the one on cash converters.

You mean this website, right? http://www.cashconverters.co.nz/search

And does the driver work for windows 10? I would assume so.

And, yes RoF is downloading right now as I got a new joystick to play it with. (F.L.Y 5 flight stick)

Thanks for the help,

Fellow Kiwi flyer, Stumble

Just like everyone else.

#5 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:34

I can't give you any info on that particular camera, but I use a $10, 30 fps cheapie from Fry's Electronics (here in the USA), and it works fine for me with FreeTrack (even in Win 10).

One thing I did do with mine was pop out the IR filter and put in a tiny piece of floppy disk material.  So, it is useless as a normal light camera, but it still sees the IR leds nicely. YMMV.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:Hey,

Hey,

I did the same with my webcam, removed the Ir Filter and put in a single sheet of floppy disk. But it seems a bit laggy on Euro Truck Sim. That could be cause of my useless computer though.

Also, with my 3 point clip If i move my head up, the bottom led blocks out the middle one, and it also happens when I look down. DO you know a way to avoid this?

My dimensions for the clip are:

3pointsclipDIM.png

Thanks, Stumble

Just like everyone else.

#6 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:49

Oh good! ( downloading RoF. Ace.)

For $12 I can scamper off to "cashies" in Hamilton and get one and then post it to you for a fiver.

( if it's still there.)

and a piece of IR pass filter.

and I suggest the 3p hat clip NOT the headphone side clip.

I use the hat clip type and it's great. It's slightly modified to make it better and it is.

I could post pics I suppose...

if you have a quad core core2 and a decent graphics card then you at at the bottom of the rof gear ladder.

( It's what I use, 2.7 ghz cpu,  seems ok on low settings.) Ram is not a biggie. ( 4Gig is fine and Vram is also not a biggie I use less than 400meg in game.)

SSD drive is good but not essential.

No stupid programs running in the background is a BIG DEAL. virus scanners etc. Turn them OFF.

I power my LEDS with a phone charger. and a thin cable. It's great.

right oh, any questions?

S! Plank.

-

Captured again!

#7 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:50

Oh good! ( downloading RoF. Ace.)

For $12 I can scamper off to "cashies" in Hamilton and get one and then post it to you for a fiver.

( if it's still there.)

and a piece of IR pass filter.

and I suggest the 3p hat clip NOT the headphone side clip.

I use the hat clip type and it's great. It's slightly modified to make it better and it is.

I could post pics I suppose...

if you have a quad core core2 and a decent graphics card then you at at the bottom of the rof gear ladder.

( It's what I use, 2.7 ghz cpu,  seems ok on low settings.) Ram is not a biggie. ( 4Gig is fine and Vram is also not a biggie I use less than 400meg in game.)

SSD drive is good but not essential.

No stupid programs running in the background is a BIG DEAL. virus scanners etc. Turn them OFF.

I power my LEDS with a phone charger. and a thin cable. It's great.

right oh, any questions?

S! Plank.

Hi,

My current tower is useless and I hope it can run it fine. Its a 2.1 Ghz AMD A6-3500 cpu paired with a 512mb GeForce GT9600 GPU. I've got 4GB ram though. In the near future I will be upgrading, this is the build I want https://pricespy.co....l=218569&view=m

The download is taking for ages! only 3 gigs done in about 5Hours!

And I will get back to you with the ps3 eye as I'm only 14 years old and will have to run it through my parents (They have cards to pay with, I don't) :)

Thanks for all the help, Stumble

Just like everyone else.

#8 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:04

14!

Well done you Stumble. Showing some great initiative there.
Good luck with your project.

I have a couple of sons, both teenagers. If they wanted head tracking they'd ask me to buy them a TIR, not endeavour to make one themselves.

Good on you.

sig.png

#9 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:42

14!

Well done you Stumble. Showing some great initiative there.
Good luck with your project.

I have a couple of sons, both teenagers. If they wanted head tracking they'd ask me to buy them a TIR, not endeavour to make one themselves.

Good on you.

Haha, but if they asked, would you buy them one? ;)

Thanks for the encouragement! I've always been like that, seeing if I can do it cheap and easy first before putting down lots of money.

Just like everyone else.

#10 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:02

No :)

sig.png

#11 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 01 February 2017 - 17:20

It sounds like Plank might be able to score you a deal on a ps-eye. Hope that works out.

Certainly, more frames / second = moar better :D   (if it doesn't cost much more $ or cpu cycles).

My original point was that you *can* use a lesser camera and it will still work (At the time I made mine, the cheapie was on the shelf, rather than having to wait awhile for a better one... "bird in the hand", you know)  ;)

Regarding clips: 

I've used both:  headphone side clip (made out of sexy coat hangar, and tie wraps)  ;)

and ball caps: My current one uses the shell from a clip-on car radar detector, with the leds nicely glued in place.

Both worked acceptably well, but I find the ballcap to be more convenient, robust, and maintenance free.

It's been awhile, so forgive me if my memory is a tad hazy, but iirc there was info about suitable dimensions to use (to prevent the overlap problem you're having). You'll note that the bottom arm of the headset clip is longer than the top arm (for that very reason), and for the ballcap, the height & depth of the top led is the key part.

If (like me), you didn't pay close attention to those details during construction (ewpsie), you can also fiddle around with the dimensions you entered to spoof it a bit, and you can also dabble with point / dot size and other settings.  Depending on what you actually built, that may (or may not) work well enough to solve the problem.   In my case, I just chucked my first coat-hangar in the garbage and bent-up a new one (properly).  By the time I got to the ballcaps, I'd learned that the dimensions (actually, the relative ratios) matter.

In any case, if you're building your own, tinkering around with that stuff can be a significant bit of fun (or frustration) depending on your temperament.   ;)

In any case, stick with it -- I built mine a couple years ago now, and it works great (in RoF, BoS, DCS, BMS & FSX). I've never used a commercial trackIR, so I can't compare, but I've also not felt that I needed one based on what I am currently using.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

PS> One comment on your rig -- 512MB in the graphics card seems a bit low -- particularly on bigger maps with more plane types, and especially if you download and use custom skins (they take up a bunch of space to render them).  Were it mine, I'd reco 2GB for your card -- Of course, things vary, so if it's working ok for you, great.

#12 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 19:01

Good grief.

er, you will be scraping along with those specs.

Three 3 core 2.4ghz cpu and 650mhz 512mb graphics card. Age is no problem as that gets fixed in due course.

I would say you will be able to just play the game on low settings, shadows off, no post processing, limited object view, low forest distance, low tree detail etc.

So you will be able to fly but it won't be wildly pretty. : )

I will go and find the camera and send it to you ( it's still Christmas right...) and I will whip the IR blocking filter out for you.

you will have to PM me a post office that I can send it to and a name with an ID so they can pick it up. ( Parents are good for those kinds of things...)

but you have to promise you will give RoF a really good go and not give up if you find it hard. and stay off the brandy.

it's 0730 hrs and I am now very small again. For some reason....  so I will trek to the south pole and return with the camera. wish me luck.

S!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#13 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 23:46

and back, towing a brand new second hand sony ps3 camera... for the paltry sum of $12 NZD. 

Next step is smashing it open with a brick and carefully removing the IR filter.

wish me luck. ( Last time it took an age to clear out the debris.)

S! P.

-

Captured again!

#14 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:24

ROFL. Ya Know, I *hate* to interrupt a master craftsman at work ...  but perhaps, the use of some hand tools might reduce the amount of rubble...     :icon_e_biggrin:

Cheers,

:icon_e_salute:

#15 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:53

S! 4X ( ...that's R for RACE right...)

Pilot Stumble:

"you will have to PM me a post office that I can send it to and a name with an ID so they can pick it up. ( Parents are good for those kinds of things...)"

DO NOT PM ME A POST OFFICE !!!! ( it might break the website and possibly the actual internet...)

and I think maybe you don't need to divulge any details as I can ring the post office and tell them that "Pilot Stumble" will be along in their N11 to pick up the parcel.

They seem good like that.

You do have to choose a post office/post shop where you would like to receive said items though, I could choose for you but it might not be on the right island....

Right I will leave you to PM me and then take matters further. If you don't then I will donate it to someone else... there is a war on you know.

Salute!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#16 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:12

S! 4X ( ...that's R for RACE right...)

Pilot Stumble:

"you will have to PM me a post office that I can send it to and a name with an ID so they can pick it up. ( Parents are good for those kinds of things...)"

DO NOT PM ME A POST OFFICE !!!! ( it might break the website and possibly the actual internet...)

and I think maybe you don't need to divulge any details as I can ring the post office and tell them that "Pilot Stumble" will be along in their N11 to pick up the parcel.

They seem good like that.

You do have to choose a post office/post shop where you would like to receive said items though, I could choose for you but it might not be on the right island....

Right I will leave you to PM me and then take matters further. If you don't then I will donate it to someone else... there is a war on you know.

Salute!

Plank.

Hey,

Are you being serious?

I mean, did you actually get it?

Stumble

Just like everyone else.

#17 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:31