Newbie Advice: Hardware Q - Mac

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Capt.Keen

Capt.Keen
  • LocationSomerset, UK

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:23

Hi Guys,

I'm a Mac user with the 27" 5k iMac. I run  Windows 8.1 through Parallels.
Not a techie, my last serious use of Windows was 20+ years ago.

Q. Any Mac user doing what I'm proposing-running RoF? I just need to know if the rig is viable, which RoF version would best suit and do I need any other software? I've read the advice here about controller/joystick hardware.  

Background

Recently medically retired airline pilot with a pesky ailment - I spend a lot of time in bed with my iMac. With a very good  friend and former colleague I'm writing a biography of Major Arthur Keen MC, C.O. No. 40 Squadron (Nieuport 17-23s, SE5a). Within Arthur's 'C' Flight were two friends who loved arguing over politics and tactics, 2nd Lts. Mannock and McElroy.

The writing is based upon his personal archive discovered during a move when the attic was cleared (descendant of the family). The working title of the book is The Aviator in the Attic, we are on track to publish on 2 September 2018, the centenary of his death in a flying accident 70 days before the Armistice.

ATB,   Norman        nieuport23_ronny2.png

#2 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 30 January 2017 - 13:04

Hi Keen

It is certainly possible to run RoF on a MAC.
J2_Adam is on a MAC, but I think he uses boot camp rather than parallels.

In this case using bootcamp would not need anything extra, the game would be setup and run in exactly the same way it is for us windows users.

sig.png

#3 Capt.Keen

Capt.Keen
  • LocationSomerset, UK

Posted 30 January 2017 - 13:25

Thanks Steve, Windows 8.1, does RoF run fine on it?

#4 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 30 January 2017 - 13:29

Yeah, you shouldn't see any issues there. Apart from the fact that Win 8 is not a popular release in the Microsoft world. Win 7 and Win 10 are the populist choice of OS for most RoF users.

But there are no software or OS constraints on running RoF on Win 8

Have you downloaded RoF yet?

If not my only real advice is to not use Steam to download a populate with aircraft.
Use the free download and official site for any purchases

sig.png

#5 Capt.Keen

Capt.Keen
  • LocationSomerset, UK

Posted 30 January 2017 - 15:07

Got it, thanks Steve.

#6 testid

testid

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:31

S!, Captain Keen!

I fly Win 7 on a Mac via bootcamp. My experience is that non-virtualized boot environments are better at addressing the graphics card. I'm moderately sporadic here but could probably help you bootcamping your machine if you need help. 

Your career has equipped you with the procedural, research, analytic skills to get your machine dual bootable, though. I doubt you need much help. Drop a line if you like in here.

#7 Capt.Keen

Capt.Keen
  • LocationSomerset, UK

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:21

S!, Captain Keen!

I fly Win 7 on a Mac via bootcamp. My experience is that non-virtualized boot environments are better at addressing the graphics card. I'm moderately sporadic here but could probably help you bootcamping your machine if you need help. 

Your career has equipped you with the procedural, research, analytic skills to get your machine dual bootable, though. I doubt you need much help. Drop a line if you like in here.

Hi testid,

LOL, before Linda.com, sceencasts various and YouTube I'm sure most of us learnt enough to make a workable mess by fiddling and winging it. I'll work through both Parallels and bootcamp to see what's best. Thanks for your very kind offer though.

The next challenge on getting it running is skinning the Nieuport 23 LOL. 

nieuport23_ronny2.png

#8 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon
  • LocationMineola, NY USA

Posted 31 January 2017 - 16:34

You may also want to try VMWare Fusion for the Mac.  VMWare Fusion for the Mac costs around $79.00 and is considered one of the top virtualization tools on the PC side of the industry.  However, Parallels should do the job quite nicely for the Mac since that is what it was designed for.  It costs around $69.00.

Black Falcon

#9 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 31 January 2017 - 19:44

Careful, AFAIK, the VM will not use the graphics present on the host.

Also Parallels may not be the best solution, as it is a "wrapper" of sorts running on top of OSX.

I'm with Testid, the most efficient way to run a single Windows install on a MAC is by using bootcamp.
Plus bootcamp is free.

sig.png

#10 Capt.Keen

Capt.Keen
  • LocationSomerset, UK

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:59

Thanks guys, I've used Parallels for years,  I'll try it but ultimately graphics will probably be best served by Bootcamp.

#11 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 February 2017 - 18:56

As J2_SteveF said, I use a 27" iMac and it works great. RoF runs very well using Win 7 and Bootcamp on max settings with track ir. I may upgrade soon to Win 10.

I've used 3 different macs over the years but currently I have the late 2013 with the nvidia 780M. BoS runs well too using High settings. .

#12 Capt.Keen

Capt.Keen
  • LocationSomerset, UK

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:48

Thanks Adam, the 27" 5k iMac is a powerful beastie. I'm looking forward to running this 'game', the 8GB download is problematic for me. Atrocious rural bandwidth from BT forces me to use an 'all you can eat' mobile data plan as my high bandwidth goto option. Buying the software through Amazon would be simple though I get the sense that this route is flawed?

#13 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:48

Unfortunately yes it is. The retail disc will still need a multiple Gb update!

The only sensible route is the F2P download.

I feel your pain, you read a lot about about how the governemt wants to deliver high speed broadband to every corner of the nation over the last few years and yet there are still gaping holes all over the country.

BT are especially at fault here. I live in Greater London yet BT can only deliver, at best, a 4MB line to me!
If even I cant get a decent service from BT what chance does the rural population stand!

Luckily for me Virgin are also available to me and I have a 200Mb line with them :)

sig.png

#14 Capt.Keen

Capt.Keen
  • LocationSomerset, UK

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:07

Thanks  Steve, your background explanation explains a lot. 

Brexit may inspire those regulating the UK's digital infrastructure. The population has a sound understanding of the costs of a slow, unreliable broadband to an innovative but rural economy. I'd love for them to hold Openworld's feet to the fire and deliver something that looks more like South Korea than Albania. 200MB would do the job LOL.

#15 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:54

If you can wait, I could zip up the F2P onto 2 DVD's and post them to you.
That will give you the current version out of the box.

sig.png

#16 Capt.Keen

Capt.Keen
  • LocationSomerset, UK

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:21

That would be a great help, thanks Steve. PM sent.

#17 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:27

I mean look at the angle of the Lewis on that Nieuport...

-

Captured again!

#18 Capt.Keen

Capt.Keen
  • LocationSomerset, UK

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:48

Yes, I think that needs a tweak but if you look at the Aldis sight the rounds muzzle exit trajectory are influenced by the Aldis sightline. The mounting is French... I suspect you would want the stream and hits visible (intermittent tracer)when you fired the gun.

2017-02-03_12-40-42.png

#19 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 03 February 2017 - 13:03

I do believe that some sight and gun combinations's had mechanism to adjust for range,wind and deflection.
Which may explain why the Lewis and Aldi look slightly off.

sig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users