Thrustmaster Warthog question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blazingstar

Blazingstar
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 23 January 2017 - 22:27

Hi All,

Santa was cruel enough to bring me a Thrustmaster Warthog!

One look at this beast and my hopes of re-entering the world of ROF shriveled away...

I've worked up the nerve to plug the thing into the PC and am totally blown away by all the features.

I have a question for those of you who use this controller:

Do you use the Thrustmaster configuring software (TARGET)  to setup all the buttons or do you set it all up inside the ROF settings program?

This system seems to be total overkill for my needs, but I cant argue with the build quality and the feel of the thing.

Can't wait to try it and am really hoping that a kind soul on this forum will give me a accelerated start.

Thanks!

#2 JannickCarter

JannickCarter

Posted 24 January 2017 - 21:34

I don't use TARGET, I just use the ROF settings program and it works fine for me.

I played around with TARGET before and it so so damned confusing I just left it alone. 

#3 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 24 January 2017 - 22:32

First, go to the Thrustmaster website and get the drivers.  You'll want those.  T.A.R.G.E.T. on the other hand is strictly optional.

I've used the Warthog (Joystick and Throttle) for many years and never bothered with T.A.R.G.E.T.  For the Joystick component, the buttons operate strictly as On/Off, and all of them are spring-loaded to return them to Off, so they are no different than any other standard joystick.  The Throttle on the other hand, has 3 position switches of which some stay in position.  For ROF and IL-2, I just found that there wasn't enough of a need to utilize the On/Off/On capabilities of 3 position switches.

For DCS,  it is certainly very convenient to be able  to take advantage of the non-returning 3 pos switches, but even in that, implementing it through T.A.R.G.E.T. isn't strictly necessary. (I completely agree that the Warthog Hotas system is complete overkill for ROF, but if you ever do fly the A-10C in DCS, you will understand)

That's a helluva nice gift for Santa to bring, btw.

#4 JannickCarter

JannickCarter

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:23

I have a  Saitek Throttle Quadrant for my mixtures. That is one thing bad about the Warthog is too many switches and not enough sliders and knobs. I actually like to the way the X-55 Rhino joystick has great knobs and switches but it is a flimsy build. 

#5 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:59

The WH could do with another coupe of sliders right enough !

Don't be scared of all the buttons. On one hand a bit OTT for a WW1 plane, but on the other... you may well have them all assigned pretty quickly.

The only time I need to use the keyboard is for typing, which helps me concentrate on the flying.

If you want any mapping sussestions just ask.

As had been said no need to use the TARGET software, but I would callibrate it once in a while (do it now) in Windows "devices and printers" - if you can find the callibrate option that is.

Now all you need are a set of MFG pedals, a 4K screen, and a poop off a shovvel GPU to run it... then you can be an ace :lol: .

In the meantime I'd strongly advise getting a 'stick extension' of which there are a couple of after-market options.

I got a 10cm one not long ago and I'd hate to go back to not using it.

:icon_e_salute:

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users