Photo
- - - - -

Adjusting Bombing Sight for DH4

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 23 January 2017 - 21:04

Well, I have just played two missions in my 'renewed' British Career. This time, I changed to Airco DH4 to score that medal for sinking ships, and... the first bombing mission I played with Aiming Help, the Second one I tried without it, just to see if my observations were right.

I have mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I had difficulty adjusting DH4's bombing sight. After playing those two REAL bombing missions, I figured out what it was. It appears that, if the Mission Description says Wind is 'East, 3 meters per second', then at altitude of 1500 metres (which I think is standard for DH4) You have to set Wind Speed to 4,5 metres per second. That's how it looked like in the first mission, with Aiming Help. Then on second mission, without Aiming Help, when they said Wind Speed was "East, 1 metre per second", I set it out to 2,5 metres per second. And guess what? Both of my bombs hit their mark. Exactly where I wanted them to go.

So, in order to score hits with DH4 bombing runs, You have to add 1,5 metre per second to Wind Speed if it's East (coming up front of Your plane).

Is that how it is supposed to be like? Because if yes, then everytime You attempt to set that Bombing Sight exactly to the numbers provided in the Mission Description, You will never hit anything. 

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 23 January 2017 - 22:29

That sounds weird, but I haven't done any level bombing in a whole so I don't remember whether I ever noticed this sort of problem.  Have you tried bombing with the wind coming from other directions besides East, and/or bombing with the wind instead of against it, to see to see if you always have to add 1.5 m/s in all cases or only some? 

Alternatively, is this perhaps some reflection of the oddity noted early on where RoF states (or stated) wind direction "backwards" from the way many people expect it to be stated? (IIRC, at one point the wind directions the mission briefings gave were the direction the wind was blowing toward instead of the direction it was blowing from, or vice versa - I can't remember the exact way it worked but it was backwards from typical western/American convention.  I'm not sure if that ever got addressed or if it's still reversed from our perspective).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#3 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:51

That sounds weird, but I haven't done any level bombing in a whole so I don't remember whether I ever noticed this sort of problem.  Have you tried bombing with the wind coming from other directions besides East, and/or bombing with the wind instead of against it, to see to see if you always have to add 1.5 m/s in all cases or only some? 

Alternatively, is this perhaps some reflection of the oddity noted early on where RoF states (or stated) wind direction "backwards" from the way many people expect it to be stated? (IIRC, at one point the wind directions the mission briefings gave were the direction the wind was blowing toward instead of the direction it was blowing from, or vice versa - I can't remember the exact way it worked but it was backwards from typical western/American convention.  I'm not sure if that ever got addressed or if it's still reversed from our perspective).

I don't know, too early to say it for sure. I just had only two bombing missions in my career, both of them on the same day (and today there will be number three, hopefully). The only way to know for sure is to play and, if necessary, replay the missions and observe to know for sure. 

But if I recall my previous 'Botched' (Due to God Mode) career correctly, most of these missions follow the same path and use the same statistics. It certainly doesn't help that DH4's bombing sight doesn't have Wind Direction adjustment, like Handley Page. Which I guess is why they always fly in the same pattern.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users