25% off Christmas special for WOFF Ultimate Edition

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:12

I am with you Ami.

I bit the bullet and bought WoFF UE, expecting a massive jump from my existing WoFF1 using Ankors DX9 mod version.

There is some improvement, but not enough to jump up and down about. The WOFF GUI works a little better on my super wide monitor but that is about it.

Have given it a few hours now and the poor graphics have defeated me. 

I'm dissapointed in myself for biting, IMO a total waste of £47

.....And Dutch RoF and WoFF and light years apart in the Graphic department. I mean 2D clouds in WoFF FFS!

I think Winding Man and Pol are dillusional if they think a WW2 version of WoFF using CFS3 is going to stand out next to CloD and BOX.

#42 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:08

Map in WoFF is a pure disaster.
Anybody could post a screenshot of an usable map?

Also cockpit graphics are way behind those in RoF, sry.

Found it if you are talking about the ingame flight map http://simhq.com/for...opics/3907625/6

If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#43 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:20

I am with you Ami.

I bit the bullet and bought WoFF UE, expecting a massive jump from my existing WoFF1 using Ankors DX9 mod version.

There is some improvement, but not enough to jump up and down about. The WOFF GUI works a little better on my super wide monitor but that is about it.

Have given it a few hours now and the poor graphics have defeated me. 

I'm dissapointed in myself for biting, IMO a total waste of £47

.....And Dutch RoF and WoFF and light years apart in the Graphic department. I mean 2D clouds in WoFF FFS!

I think Winding Man and Pol are dillusional if they think a WW2 version of WoFF using CFS3 is going to stand out next to CloD and BOX.

You are telling nothing new, if being reading on what I did wrote down, you should know better, if you won't believe me, do not blame me.

So repeating If the graphics are the main key for you and not WW1 then do not even think about RoF and WoFF, in this case they are both ancient on graphics and still use 32bit technique and WindowsXP DirectX9.   

If you take a close look at  https://www.youtube....h?v=gg0o6V-M6pg  Seems to be an 2013 game even BoX looks still bad compare to this. 

And about WW2 on CFS3 engine, most WoFF-fans will buy the WW2 pack and  leaving the small WW1 niche was part of the strategy from OBD, but I also think it would be hard to get that new customers, now TF does have the CLOD source code, BoX is going to 64bit/DirectX11, DCS seems also have its improvements and the CFS3 packs  ETO/PTO/MAW/Korea are for free.

I'm only an simple WW1 flysim fan, I have BoS/Clod/IL2-1946 only never played that much WW2, so I do not think I buy the OBD WW2 pack, but  I do hope OBD will have success and can expand to new customers.   

If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#44 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:54

As far as WOFF UE goes i still encounter corrupt files in the unzip process which prevent installation. my SimHQ post on the subject hasnt been commented on yet, but i am going to add to it later with names of corrupted files and see if that helps.

#45 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:11

If you take a close look at  https://www.youtube....h?v=gg0o6V-M6pg  Seems to be an 2013 game even BoX looks still bad compare to this. 

And about WW2 on CFS3 engine, most WoFF-fans will buy the WW2 pack and  leaving the small WW1 niche was part of the strategy from OBD, but I also think it would be hard to get that new customers, now TF does have the CLOD source code, BoX is going to 64bit/DirectX11, DCS seems also have its improvements and the CFS3 packs  ETO/PTO/MAW/Korea are for free.

First off, no game is going to look better than a cinematic rendition edited for effect.  It's all short pieces strung together to showcase the game at ultimate settings. 

Second, Warthunder or any of 'those games' do not have the flight model physics fidelity of RoF/BoX, so 'those games' simply do not have as many threads running in the background that the player can't see. 

Then there is the AI, which RoF/BoX is famous for claiming that the AI uses the same physics as player.  Nobody can look under the hood, so I leave this as a claim, but choose to believe them.

CFS3 was already been re-vamped by another modding group (name escapes me), and I used to play it extensively years ago.  Only wish OBD the best of luck of course, but hope they won't waste too much effort there.

#46 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 27 December 2016 - 14:44

Found it if you are talking about the ingame flight map http://simhq.com/for...opics/3907625/6

Thanks Dutch, will look at it.

edit:
Unfortunately the link
https://www.dropbox..../newWOFFmap.zip
doesn't work for me...

But I have downloaded "printable" maps from WoFF site's mods section and will display them on my tablet. 

Works nicely - they are very detailed and zoomable/scrollable :)

#47 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 27 December 2016 - 16:19

Thanks Dutch, will look at it.
edit:
Unfortunately the linkhttps://www.dropbox..../newWOFFmap.zip
doesn't work for me...

But I have downloaded "printable" maps from WoFF site's mods section and will display them on my tablet. 
Works nicely - they are very detailed and zoomable/scrollable :)

you could pm that guy, who knows he still does have that ingame map

#48 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 27 December 2016 - 16:56

You are telling nothing new, if being reading on what I did wrote down, you should know better, if you won't believe me, do not blame me.

So repeating If the graphics are the main key for you and not WW1 then do not even think about RoF and WoFF, in this case they are both ancient on graphics and still use 32bit technique and WindowsXP DirectX9.   

I'm only an simple WW1 flysim fan, I have BoS/Clod/IL2-1946 only never played that much WW2, so I do not think I buy the OBD WW2 pack, but  I do hope OBD will have success and can expand to new customers.   

I am not blaming you for my purchase, I was just surprised at your claim that RoF is sub standard in the graphics department.

Especially saying WoFF and RoF are substandard to CloD is a bit rich when RoF is very much closer to CloD in modelling and FM/DM than WoFF is.

Also in terms of the claim to want superior graphics, FM and DM somehow makes me less of a WWI sim fan than a WoFF player.....bizarre.

Especially as I have been into WWI simming since 1994 and Sierra's original Red Baron. Moving onto Reb Baron II trying multiplayer over 56k on Won.net and joining my first online squad. I have been active in WWI sims since then through RB3D, OFF and now RoF mostly using my former name Brigstock, we have had discussions in the past and you know how long I've been playing WWI sims. At least as long as you and maybe longer.

I'm just not prepared to put up with 15+ year old graphics in 2017. The same reason I no longer play RB3D. 

I had hoped WOFF UE had a significant improvement, I'm disappointed. So will carry on in RoF in multiplayer with J2 and offline with PWCG.

#49 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 27 December 2016 - 17:33

... So will carry on in RoF in multiplayer with J2 and offline with PWCG.

Greetings to J2_Marx - a former member of our ST squad :-D
I also fly PWCG when in an 'off-line' mood...

Back to the topic:

The same here.

I will play WoFF3 from time to time, b/c the overal 'atmosphere' of the game is really good and AI is simply amazing.
But those out-dated graphics drive me back to RoF. 

#50 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 27 December 2016 - 18:14

I have the file for the different ingame map,I have it attached to this post...

You can call me strange (I know I am :D) but somehow I like the WoFF graphics better in some cases. RoF is nice and all but the colour palette is not so much my taste.

Attached Files

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#51 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 27 December 2016 - 18:29

Piri!

Glad to see you again ;)

Btw, ofcourse you are strange, who isnt?

... and thanks for the map - still - the best option for me ATM is to use those perfect detailed maps on my tablet for navigation.

#52 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 27 December 2016 - 21:41

I am not blaming you for my purchase, I was just surprised at your claim that RoF is sub standard in the graphics department.

Especially saying WoFF and RoF are substandard to CloD is a bit rich when RoF is very much closer to CloD in modelling and FM/DM than WoFF is.

Also in terms of the claim to want superior graphics, FM and DM somehow makes me less of a WWI sim fan than a WoFF player.....bizarre.

Especially as I have been into WWI simming since 1994 and Sierra's original Red Baron. Moving onto Reb Baron II trying multiplayer over 56k on Won.net and joining my first online squad. I have been active in WWI sims since then through RB3D, OFF and now RoF mostly using my former name Brigstock, we have had discussions in the past and you know how long I've been playing WWI sims. At least as long as you and maybe longer.

I'm just not prepared to put up with 15+ year old graphics in 2017. The same reason I no longer play RB3D. 

I had hoped WOFF UE had a significant improvement, I'm disappointed. So will carry on in RoF in multiplayer with J2 and offline with PWCG.

Good to hear you did not blame me for that, because I'm not trying to tell any hallelujah story about WoFF nor for RoF, besides all the positive readings you see, I also bring in the negative or lack off points that could be important for the buying decision. like no mp, no decent FFB etc. Which did bring me in problems, when I wrote a rumble FFB remark on a review site, but still I think potential buyers should have that info.  .

In case of WoFF yes the graphics especially the planes are much lesser than RoF planes, I never wrote down the opposite. And believe me for most the graphics are very important if noticing all the cash spent to an GTX1080/1070 and high end monitors, and yeah I'm also not blind to that aspect. If the WoFF graphics are 2002 level, geuss that can everybody see, when going to Youtube and check Hellshades WoFF videos and watch them in high resolution.  

Still I think that if wanting a immerse sp WW1 campaign, WoFF EU is something to consider for buying.  

I hope the sky is now being clearer and without any conflict.  

#53 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:03

I'm in a mixed bag about graphics.   I think RoF has the better shaders but WOFF has better scenery, IMHO.  RoF has a better feeling of flight, but WOFF has a better feeling of being in a war.  RoF has better over-all DM effects but I prefer WOFFs in cockpit damage and sounds.  RoF's clouds are far better for flying through with the cool rain effects, but WOFFs clouds look better and have a lot more variety from afar.   I can see someone going back to RoF for the newer shaders just as I head back to WOFF for the better AI.   It's all just a matter of tastes and what's most important to someone.  That's why I fly both, choosing as the mood suits me.   

#54 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:34

Well said Hellshade and please put also in some of your great videos from Woff, so people can see that Woff is not the CFS3 from 2002.

#55 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 28 December 2016 - 13:14

I agree that RoF, hands down, has better shaders but I disagree that this looks like 2002 graphics.  In particular, I personally feel like WOFF UEs scenery is among the best.  Look how immersive that winter scenery landscape is.  There is a lot of attention to detail there and these are stock WOFF UE, no SweeFX.  

14902863_1790203734578896_2090717347004714902811_1790203711245565_92029197124019full-1846-126745-shot09_22_16_11_03_02.j

full-14437-126972-woff_ue12.jpgfull-14437-126981-woff_ue_6.jpgfull-14437-126983-woff_ue_9.jpgfull-14437-127095-woff_ue_jasta_9_wingme

This is what 2002 looked like.

combat-flight-simulator-3-battle-for-eur

#56 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 02 January 2017 - 15:03

I still can't tell the difference between a Dx9 and Dx11 game.  With the exception of a few special effects and stuff under the hood, it is mostly marketing/branding and the requirement of a new OS.

Graphics are not the reason why WOFF is a poor flight sim.  It's the flight modeling that rivals sitting in a cardboard box in your living room wearing a leather jacket and a wool scarf.  Their recalcitrance toward a correct implementation of force-feedback is just a smokescreen for the fact that it's a mod and they don't know how to fix it.

#57 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 02 January 2017 - 16:52

I still can't tell the difference between a Dx9 and Dx11 game.  With the exception of a few special effects and stuff under the hood, it is mostly marketing/branding and the requirement of a new OS.

Graphics are not the reason why WOFF is a poor flight sim.  It's the flight modeling that rivals sitting in a cardboard box in your living room wearing a leather jacket and a wool scarf.  Their recalcitrance toward a correct implementation of force-feedback is just a smokescreen for the fact that it's a mod and they don't know how to fix it.

Gav, in BoS the difference between former DX9 and present DX11 is clear.
Besides those "effects" you mentioned there are much better fps.

#58 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:21

Selling my copy of UE now, if anyone is interested.

£30  -  PM me if interested

#59 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 06 January 2017 - 14:45

Selling my copy of UE now, if anyone is interested.

£30  -  PM me if interested

Sorry to hear that it isn't for you, Steve.  

Have you tried JJJ65 and Ankors most recent mods?  They are working on FM updates that change the experience quite a bit.  Both are still a WIP.   Might be worth a try since they are free. 

#60 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:25

Just bought WoFF recently - after however many years its been.

Man is it good. I really like it, people saying it's an awesome SP experience aren't wrong. FMs aren't the best but the choice and scope and realism make up for it.

#61 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:30

Looks great to me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users