Photo
- - - - -

25% off Christmas special for WOFF Ultimate Edition

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 13 December 2016 - 20:30

If you were looking for a lower cost chance to get into WOFF UE, the devs have a Christmas special going on.   

http://wingsoverflan...com/buynow.html

#2 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 14 December 2016 - 17:59

And do not forget you do not need the CFS3 disk, it is a standalone version.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#3 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 14 December 2016 - 18:31

At that price its tempting but is it any good, what do y'all think of it WOFFers?

#4 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:39

At that price its tempting but is it any good, what do y'all think of it WOFFers?

Generally speaking, if you are looking for a very deep, off-line single player WWI flight sim campaign experience with a crap ton of flyable planes (78) right out of the "box", WOFF UE provides it in spades.    The devs are also very active in providing top notch support and it's a great forum community at SimHQ for it.   There is almost always a community member sponsored "Dead is Dead" campaign where folks report in weekly about their missions.  The AI have a fairly good bag of tricks up their sleeves to stay alive and they have no problems creating an escape route for themselves if at all possible when things start to go against them too much.   Plenty of dogfights end with one or more planes filled with holes but no actual kill.   You should also know that there are no multiplayer options at all and the feeling of flight is not as advanced as RoF.   It's been summed up as the following by a great many people who own both of these great sims.  "If you want to feel what it was like to fly in a WWI aircraft, fly RoF.  If you want to feel what it was like to fly in WWI, fly WOFF."

#5 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:57

I struggle with WOFF, albeit all I have is WOFF 1 with Ankors DX9 patch. With the base game and skin packs it cost me close to £100.

I really don't believe I go my moneys worth.

It does have a rich single player experience, that cannot be argued away. It is superior to what RoF can provide, even with PWCG.

However the actual engine it uses, CFS3, really limits it graphically and in the FM/DM department.

I know the devs have pretty much re written the code, but it does seem to feel very dated.

I keep hovering over WoFF UE buy now link, but the full price is very steep and even this Xmas discount still puts it close to £40.

I am just not sure I want to pay that much for what it is.

One of the thing that really bugs me is the blue triangle issue when looking around with TIR.

Where the texture draw cant keep up with the sudden head movement. Leave massive sky blue ground textures.

This is a limitation in the CFS3 engine and one that has not been resolved by the devs.

I cant help but think when you see Cliffs of Dover or IL2-1946 for a fiver and the user has not tried either my advice is "give it a go you might like it."

At £40 I couldn't say the same thing.

sig.png

#6 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 15 December 2016 - 15:16

What something is "worth" depends on a lot of things, so while WOFF UE was worth it to me at full price, I couldn't pretend to say I know if it would be for you.   I don't know if it would be worth it to you even at 25% off.    I can say that the blue triangles are reduced in UE, even eliminated for some folks (not for me) because the shaders in UE are significantly better than in previous versions of the sim.   There is an extra FPS boost and better rendering, which has been noticed mostly by folks with the lower and mid range rigs.    Pats PWCG is great, but no..it isn't WOFF UE and the one thing Pat can't fix is the predictable AI in RoF.   After a few mission encounters, there is a strange sense of "sameness" that you can't get away from.   I wish they would give him access to the AI code to change it.   I still fly PWCG, but I'd fly it much more often if they would improve the AI.   WOFF UE has better AI, but it's got blue triangles.  I don't think either one will ever be 100% fixed, so I guess it comes down to picking your poison.   Me?  I jump between the two and find that works great.   

#7 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 15 December 2016 - 15:25

You really can't compare WoFF 1 with WoFF UE. Many of the perfomance issues have been solved, even WoFF 2 was a great step ahead of WoFF 1,not to mention WoFF 3 and now WoFF UE. Ankors shaders have been improved a lot from version to version and have been integrated directly into the game since WoFF 2. There are now settings for reflection and glossiness in the workshop to suit almost everyones taste. Many things like terrain details,cloud shadows and cloud size,forrest details,bump mapping etc. can now be adjusted directly in the workshop also.  I very rarely see those triangles anymore,though they are not completly gone. But by far less noticable, frequent and annoying as they where in WoFF 1.

Overall performance has gone some steps up also, where WoFF 1 had severe stutters in some scenarios ,since WoFF 3 they are completly gone for me. This might vary from PC configuration to another,too many variables there, but there are hardly any complaints about stutters in the forums anymore. Even driver updates helped in that regard earlier. 

Not to mention the excellent support from the developers, as soon as  bugs and glitches show up it gets usually fixed within days.

WoFF UE comes with every expansion that has been released to date,the skin pack is free since some time btw. and the excellent soundtrack with additional music can be downloaded for free aswell.

Of course not everything is perfect and there are some things that could be improved and ,if possible, propably will be improved in the future.

I bought WoFF 1,2 and 3 with all the add as soon as it has been released ,and now WoFF UE and I don't regret a penny. It just has what most recent Sims are missing, it feels like a complete experience.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#8 Tycoon

Tycoon

Posted 15 December 2016 - 17:49

And do not forget you do not need the CFS3 disk, it is a standalone version.

How did they get around the copyright?

Plenty of room at the Hotel RiseofFlight, you can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave. 

#9 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 15 December 2016 - 18:03

How did they get around the copyright?

I have no idea.  I do note that the official website still says that CFS3 is required, even though a clean install on a brand new machine never asks for the CD.  OBD isn't telling anyone that CFS3 is no longer required, but some players are. Maybe OBD cut a deal with Microsoft and just haven't updated their website?  Maybe the heavily modified code is enough to stand on it's own without asking for any original CFS3 files, but because they are modified from CFS3, OBD needs to legally require owners to still have CFS3, even though it never asks for the disk.  I honestly couldn't tell you.  What I do know for sure is that OBD has not changed it's requirements for CFS3 on it's website.  

#10 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 16 December 2016 - 18:25

I have an AMD Radeon HD7700 graphics card with an AMD FX tm 4350 Quad Core 2.8ghz CPU, I don't really know what those specs mean, so techmates will WOFF run? I tried the 'systemrequirements.com' site but couldn't find WoFF!

:icon_e_salute:  :icon_e_salute:

#11 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 16 December 2016 - 18:27

edit:

I think it probably will be ok because Battlefield 1 runs with no problems.

#12 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 16 December 2016 - 20:09

WoFF depends a lot on CPU cycles. Best check the requirements on the official site  http://www.overfland...quirements.html

#13 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:44

Not so far ago I've bought WoFF 3 and I don't think it would be worth for me to buy WoFF UE.
There shoud be a possibility to upgrade from WoFF 3 to WoFF UE for a REASONABLE price - say - some 15 Eur. 

#14 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 17 December 2016 - 13:09

I have an AMD Radeon HD7700 graphics card with an AMD FX tm 4350 Quad Core 2.8ghz CPU, I don't really know what those specs mean, so techmates will WOFF run? I tried the 'systemrequirements.com' site but couldn't find WoFF!
:icon_e_salute: :icon_e_salute:

About the CPU, Better to ask, on the simhq forum, who knows a Woff'er does have the same AMD CPU setup.
For your Vcard, If your 7700 can handle Rof then sure it can handle Woff.

BTW I still sell my old Woff3 incl all the extra packs for €15,- . pm me if being intrested.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#15 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 17 December 2016 - 14:06

Not so far ago I've bought WoFF 3 and I don't think it would be worth for me to buy WoFF UE.
There shoud a possibility to upgrade from WoFF 3 to WoFF UE for a REASONABLE price - say - some 15 Eur. 

They had an upgrade deal for WOFF 3 owners but I don't know if it's still going on.  You would have to contact the devs.   There was some complaining about the upgrade price from people who hadn't purchased UE yet.  If it makes any difference, of those that bit the bullet and did buy it, none  ever complained about the price after they got to fly it.  It's a lot more than just a simple re-package of the previous content.   Currently it's 25% off.  That's about the best deal you are going to get for a while. 

#16 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 17 December 2016 - 15:08

They had an upgrade deal for WOFF 3 owners but I don't know if it's still going on.  You would have to contact the devs.   There was some complaining about the upgrade price from people who hadn't purchased UE yet.  If it makes any difference, of those that bit the bullet and did buy it, none  ever complained about the price after they got to fly it.  It's a lot more than just a simple re-package of the previous content.   Currently it's 25% off.  That's about the best deal you are going to get for a while. 

Do you really think the difference between WoFF3 and WoFF UE is worth $48.74 ('discount' price now)?
I seriously doubt it....

I really like the game - best AI I've ever seen, good immersion, but their upgrade price policy seems to me too greedy, sry.

As to the graphics, FM, DM...  RoF is far better IMHO.

So - I like them both for different reasons, but most likely I will stay with my WoFF3  :)

#17 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 17 December 2016 - 16:53

Do you really think the difference between WoFF3 and WoFF UE is worth $48.74 ('discount' price now)?
I seriously doubt it....

It may not be worth it to you.  Only you can decide that.  All I can say is of everyone who has purchased it, even those who complained about the price prior to buying it, said it was totally worth it after they got it and flew it awhile.  But that's them, not you.  To some people, it may not be worth it.  By all means, stick with WOFF 3 until you feel a price point for UE is available that is worth it to you.  WOFF 3 is fantastic.  The in cockpit damage modeling is one of my favorite additions to the sim from WOFF 3.  

#18 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 17 December 2016 - 17:34

As my Trackir5 died recently and I decided to replace it with EDTracker Pro, I must be careful with my money A.T.M.

#19 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 17 December 2016 - 22:17

As my Trackir5 died recently and I decided to replace it with EDTracker Pro, I must be careful with my money A.T.M.

How do you like the EDTracker Pro?

#20 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:08

Hasn't arrived yet, ordered just yesterday :)

#21 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 18 December 2016 - 14:50

I really like the game - best AI I've ever seen, good immersion, but their upgrade price policy seems to me too greedy, sry.
As to the graphics, FM, DM...  RoF is far better IMHO.
So - I like them both for different reasons, but most likely I will stay with my WoFF3  :)

Yep that is true.
Another point would be that Woff does not have mp mode and no support for the MS-FF2 joystick (FFB is reduced to an rumble effect).
While Rof does split the CPU load perfect, Woff is still an old style singlecore game, so you will need a good CPU and set the core affinity for CFS3.exe only for this game. So no other process would interfere to that core.

#22 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 23 December 2016 - 19:25

Right well,

I bought the WoFF UE and followed the install procedure and the installation ofDX9.

I also installed CFS3 just to be on the safe side.

It goes throught the splash screens, setting the objects guns and airfields then just as you are about to get into the cockpit it crashes.'CFS3 has stopped working and needs to close' So I look on the SimHQ forums and find that someone else has AMD Radeon problems.

Log in to Sim HQ go to the technical topics and it says I have to log in again which then takes me to the main menu, select WoFF technical threads and...you need to be logged in!

Any way I uninstalled CFS3, made no difference.

Went to Radeon settings and Woff isn't listed in the game section.

Should I reinstall CFS3 to get Radeon AMD settings to recognise WoFF?

I would post this in the WoFF forums but as I explained above I cant get in!!!

Dutch said:

Woff is still an old style singlecore game, so you will need a good CPU and set the core affinity for CFS3.exe only for this game. So no other process would interfere to that core.    

I am sure that the answer may lie here, but I don't know what the statement means :(     

#23 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 23 December 2016 - 21:26

These sales are somewhat nice, but... You know what RoF really needs right now? Newer planes. Like Morane Sauer to fight with Fokker E.III

How about creating the first scouts and a special campaign dedicated entirely to them, Developers?

#24 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 23 December 2016 - 21:48

How about creating the first scouts and a special campaign dedicated entirely to them, Developers?

They're busy working on WW2 aircraft.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#25 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 24 December 2016 - 00:52

We can't even get a skin update. Sorry, i stop smoking

#26 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:18

Right well,

I bought the WoFF UE and followed the install procedure and the installation ofDX9.

I also installed CFS3 just to be on the safe side.

It goes throught the splash screens, setting the objects guns and airfields then just as you are about to get into the cockpit it crashes.'CFS3 has stopped working and needs to close' So I look on the SimHQ forums and find that someone else has AMD Radeon problems.

Log in to Sim HQ go to the technical topics and it says I have to log in again which then takes me to the main menu, select WoFF technical threads and...you need to be logged in!

Any way I uninstalled CFS3, made no difference.

Went to Radeon settings and Woff isn't listed in the game section.

Should I reinstall CFS3 to get Radeon AMD settings to recognise WoFF?

I would post this in the WoFF forums but as I explained above I cant get in!!!

Dutch said:

Woff is still an old style singlecore game, so you will need a good CPU and set the core affinity for CFS3.exe only for this game. So no other process would interfere to that core.    

I am sure that the answer may lie here, but I don't know what the statement means  :(     

Before you try anything else try a clean re install of WoFF. Follow the steps in the FAQ on page 25 to uninstall http://www.overfland...ds/FAQ WOFF.pdfDisable your antivirus software when installing it again.

You don't need to have CFS3 installed.

#27 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:02

Right well,

I bought the WoFF UE and followed the install procedure and the installation ofDX9.  open OBDsoftware\woff \toolbox folders and rerun the directX9, C++ and VB. Be Aware that Woff must be installed in the main directory and never into program86 folder. 

I also installed CFS3 just to be on the safe side. That is not needed as being published many times, but do not delete it

It goes throught the splash screens, setting the objects guns and airfields then just as you are about to get into the cockpit it crashes.'CFS3 has stopped working and needs to close' So I look on the SimHQ forums and find that someone else has AMD Radeon problems. Think that has nothing to do to your AMD 7700 Vcard, but adjust to application controlled or low adjustments and do not use supersampling in this phase

Log in to Sim HQ go to the technical topics and it says I have to log in again which then takes me to the main menu, select WoFF technical threads and...you need to be logged in!  Simhq is one of the worst sites on the whole combatfly sim scene, full of bugs and I did have the same login problems. Why OBD did left the Combat ace forums and went for this buggy forum is for me still a mystery.  Try to use another webbrowser or your Ipad. 

Any way I uninstalled CFS3, made no difference. That was not needed but leave it that way

Went to Radeon settings and Woff isn't listed in the game section. That can wait nothing to do with this problem

Should I reinstall CFS3 to get Radeon AMD settings to recognise WoFF?  No, in this case leave it alone

I would post this in the WoFF forums but as I explained above I cant get in!!!  That is the best way, I know more WoFF'ers at Simhq  did have that problems and read the FAQ as being posted by another member

Dutch said:

I am sure that the answer may lie here, but I don't know what the statement means  :(     

I do not think in this stage on the problem you are facing, that is the root cause. 

Read the bolt comments

And disable your Virusscanner!!!!!  when opening a WoFF folder on my gameSSD, Avira from the HD, was pushing some .exe to an quarantine folder. 

Edited by Dutch2, 25 December 2016 - 09:06.

#28 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 25 December 2016 - 15:35

They're busy working on WW2 aircraft.

They have been working on Wings Over the Reich for the past year and still managed to also release WOFF UE.    According to the devs, more add-ons are in the works.   In the meantime, he's stuck with 78 flyable aircraft plus zeps. 

#29 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 25 December 2016 - 15:36

We can't even get a skin update. Sorry, i stop smoking

They are busy working on WW2 aircraft.   ;)

#30 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 25 December 2016 - 17:36

:icon_e_salute: Thanks Dutch, my AV has in fact quarantined some of the Toolbox.exe files, I restored them and the game still errors out, but further along the process now so I think the reinstall is required. Seasons greetings and thanks for the help and advice everyone! :icon_e_salute:

#31 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 25 December 2016 - 18:01

But try to get on the Simhq board, lots of Woff experts and I'm sure one of then get you to the cause of the problem.

#32 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 25 December 2016 - 18:14

:icon_e_salute: Thanks Dutch, my AV has in fact quarantined some of the Toolbox.exe files, I restored them and the game still errors out, but further along the process now so I think the reinstall is required. Seasons greetings and thanks for the help and advice everyone! :icon_e_salute:

Not sure which OS you use but CFS3 doesn't play well with Windows 10.   WOFF UE doesn't need CFS3 installed or even ask for a CD though, so I'd recommend uninstalling both and doing a fresh install of UE only.

#33 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 25 December 2016 - 19:25

My AV is Avira btw.

Reading the instructions on the pdf ' Run WOFFToolbox from the C:\OBDSoftware\WOFF\Toolbox folder'

(I am on Win8.! with the classic shell overlay, coz I still like the look of Win7! )

'Select Uninstall WOFF at the bottom of the WOFFToolbox menus'....there lies the problem as I cant see the uninstall option!

Can I just go into control panel and use the Uninstall / Change Option?

Dear me all around are stuffed with food and merriment but I shall persevere with this!

#34 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 25 December 2016 - 22:45

Avira is eating your Woff as being my experience. Woff can be installed by the control panel so do this.
Now at the toolbox there is also something like clean up register, also do this reg clean up task

Disable Avira,
unzip the Woff download
run the .exe file do not change the directory, it will install now to the right directory
start Woff and type inn the needed code.
Avira is still shutdown

If still having problems go to the Simhq forum, for further help.

#35 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:29

thanks for the help and advice.
disabled all the av software, dl woff 3 times each time at the unzip stage it displays 2 errors for corrupted files, the first is bypassed with the retry option, 2 nd 'german map_main' or something like that its called wont accept the retry, so have to abort. Last dload was from the original that was successful, but now has corrupted files.
Will try again and see if i can repair like Dutch says.
will post at Simhq today!

#36 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:45

What name are you using on Simhq? 

#37 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 26 December 2016 - 15:58

Spyboy just the same.

#38 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 26 December 2016 - 16:56

Map in WoFF is a pure disaster.
Anybody could post a screenshot of an usable map?

Also cockpit graphics are way behind those in RoF, sry.

#39 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 26 December 2016 - 18:31

Map in WoFF is a pure disaster.
Anybody could post a screenshot of an usable map?

Also cockpit graphics are way behind those in RoF, sry.

I know there was an mod for an far better ingame map, but I can not find it any more, I fly usings Lou maps.

About the grahics is already wrote down, yes the looks of rof are much better, but if you take a look at other fly sim games even Clod that was released one year later, that game does have much beter graphics than Rof. So if graphics are all thats counting and you do not care what to fly, Woff and Rof are simply not the way to go for.

#40 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 26 December 2016 - 20:06

C'mon Dutch :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users