* * * * - 3 votes

[Mod] - Zeppelin_v1.0 and ZeppelinAI_v1.0

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 13 December 2016 - 13:09

Well, looks like at least one of those rockets hit, if that damage 'decal' on the left side is any indication.

Regular FMJ .303 ammo was useless against zeppelins of course, and since we don't have incendiary load out option like Buckingham, rockets should be the only reliable method. 

It would be nice if a mod can be made so that at least balloon gun effects could mimic incendiary, since they have their own ammunition.  Perhaps even allow balloon guns to be a load out on other aircraft, though I know the mesh would not transfer, perhaps just the code...

#42 testid

testid

Posted 13 December 2016 - 16:14

Correct, Bandy. In playback I think I see four strikes. It seems to me that this is likely a limitation of the skinning approach, and that Genius doesn't have a way of borrowing the balloons' explosive vulnerability. I'm still happy enough pretending it's some sort of seekrit armor-plated superweapon.

#43 testid

testid

Posted 13 December 2016 - 22:18

Recon lab finally got the footage back. Looks like they have some newfangled way of reconstructing exterior views!

https://www.youtube.com/jGwyLH_9ETw

https://www.youtube.com/yb7BM-CdQBI

https://www.youtube.com/Vp2lQvGeJPQ

#44 testid

testid

Posted 13 December 2016 - 22:22

hm, no idea why these aren't inline. oh well!

#45 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 14 December 2016 - 00:46

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#46 testid

testid

Posted 14 December 2016 - 00:58

Thanks, HB! When I posted the cylinder link, I just dropped the URL in, and the video was inline. When I posted these, I went to the trouble of grabbing the YT embed links, which use iframes, and appear to not be supported here. So I edited the post to strip out the iframe code and... well, who knows.

#47 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:02

hm, no idea why these aren't inline. oh well!

LOL   It's in the address that is posted,(your's jadajada.com/ embed/ jadajada, mine jadajada.com/watch?v= jadajada) . ;)

By the way, great videos, could be a little longer. :icon_e_salute:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#48 testid

testid

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:38

Thanks! I'm leaving the long form mise-en-scene to the likes of unreasonable for now. The mission cap is actually 15 minutes long, but most of it is me inching closer to the missile-like sky worm. Next go-round I'm adding bombs and will try to shoot off the bottlerockets at a closer distance with the idea of concentrating fire. The Dr. Zebra mission goal remains in place as well, something to keep after before switching to a motors-and-guns approach.

Having posted these I have been having a good chuckle at the various simmish zep footage youtube keeps reccommending. So far the puzzling highlight is what appears to be the zeppelin attack from Flyboys, a movie I have fond recollections of but hoo boy, that scene is not for those who get het up over historical accuracy in entertainment media. I'm eagerly looking forward to the appropriate scene from The Rocketeer in the queue.

That said, the absurdity of the Flyboys scene would lend itself well to mission building with the tools we now have in hand.

An interesting side note here is that in reading the available materials on the British naval squadrons going after the zeps it seems to be clear that on both the Pup and the Camel the primary armament was a single non-synchro Lewis gun mounted with an up angle to shoot through a wing opening into the underside of the zeps. Later installs apparently added our dual-mode mount on the RNAS Ships Camels.

The implication of interest for this initial mission is that the rear safe zone Smart was using in his encounter with L23 must have been more to the underside than the topside of the tail, which is where I found cover from both the top and nacelle gunners. Furthermore, given the ahistorical speed of this L23, dropping in a faster aircraft with a top-mount Lewis seems quite justified.

#49 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:55

Just a few I was collecting when Vander and I were also considering a similar mod...

Of course the available gunner positions would have changed with later improvements.

If not entirely apparent, this is the tail gunner.

f6495898d6ea5216789f4ab6254762f2.jpg

My favourite...

tail-gunner-of-a-german-army-zeppelin-ai

63eeb500fb59e19abc4ba00c0b360848.jpg

0d22d2a04bb8369f5fb76931dae60d45.jpg

#50 testid

testid

Posted 14 December 2016 - 18:03

in-flight engine maintenance always struck me as a particularly trying gig. This week poking around I came across this shot of a fellow oiling or fueling one of the Hindenburg's engines; at least he's not also looking at the ground a couple klicks down.

http://i.imgur.com/d17rW0g.jpg

That topside gun emplacement shot is fantastic.

#51 Genius

Genius

Posted 15 December 2016 - 00:06

Hi, first thanks to all  :)

Regarding the zep speed, I agree that it is faster than expected, possibly ahistorically so (which, given it's a hologram worn by a Felixstowe, I expect may be unavoidable). I actually liked this about the mission, because it made it so challenging to catch the damn thing. I loaded the HE rockets, figuring, hey, this is the definition of the broadside of a barn door, and completely forgot about them once I was on beam.

Given the limitations in defensive armament on the other multicrew a/c, I certainly understand using the Felix as the basis for this mod. I wonder which plane is the slowest of our bombers? If the speed issue is a deal killer maybe swapping the faster plane out for the slower, less-well-armed one might be a possible solution.

I certainly hope that Dr. Zebra will turn his cinematic attention to this mod, as it surely calls out to him in his dreams.

Genius, I was also wondering if you had it in mind to take a crack at a multizep raid, say on the port at Felixstowe or even over in the Belgian areas of the map, and if you were considering other later zep models for later release, such as a height climber or some such.

Finally, I suspect you set the mission time with respect to the historical encounter it's based on, with the sun low in the sky. Whether or not you did, it's GENIUS because of the effect is has on the hunt and also breathtaking in the clouds as they take on that dawn and dusk coloring. Absolutely fantastic work. Thanks again!

I have already try S22 FM to the Zeppelin: With the mdv of s22, the worry is for a non-horizontal position once posed. The Felix fe2a and the S22 have about the same operational ceiling (3000m) as the zeppelin. The speed of the s22 is closer to the Zepelin (about 100km / h) compared with 130/150 for the fe2a. Finally the climb speed of the zeppelin (1500/2000 ft per min) is closer to the fe2a (2000m in 17 min) than the S22 (2000m in 31 min). Finally  zeppelin can load up to 2000kg of bombs, the fe2a 400kg, the S22 about 500kg (to be checked in rof).

Each mdv choice had its advantage and defects

No, later model isn't planned (working on other project)

I saw a statement in one of the posts above that seemed a bit odd to me - "We could not limit the speed too much otherwise the zeppelin had too much difficulty to take altitude".  Maybe it's a language thing and I don't understand the point being made, but assuming we can't fly these things and have to have specially-written missions for them anyway, couldn't they just be air-started at the right (high) altitude, so that ability to gain altitude wouldn't be much of a factor?

Yes poor english  ^_^ Yes, you have right, you can set altitude directly on the mission but if you want a fly path from the T/O to the target, you need a bit more climb speed.

Will let Genius et al. be the authority here, but meanwhile, I suspect they went with the Felix to allow all the extra defensive gun positions since it has the most.

RE: Felix speed.  Could the Felix/zeppelin 'FM' be set to have as default 100% fuel and all guns and bombs?  The Felix is a complete pig completely loaded out.  You've likely done this already...

Cheers!

I have no limit to add gunner position (luascripts), only a compromise problem.

For the default loadout, i don't know if possible.

AAR for 12/11

Successfully located zeppelin on previously reported heading. Ship wears designation L23 and is a dun canvas color. Ship exhibits two previously unobserved characteristics in zeppelins and other hydrogen-lofted LTA.

One, ship is much faster than previously reported, traveling at speeds of roughly 75-80 mph as observed on my instrumentation.

Two, the ship is surprisingly resistant to attacks oriented on the hydrogen-filled gas bladders contained within the envelope of the hull. Anecdotal reports from other engaging pilots indicate that cooper bombs failed to ignite the hull. In this most recent engagement a volley of high explosive rockets which produced an estimated complement of four to five strikes followed by the entirety of my ammunition stores also failed to bring abut the desired result. Fortunately, my experimental gun camera implementation was in place and operational and I expect to be able to provide film for analysis once the reel has returned from photo recon for development.

Additionally, an attempt was made to bring my aircraft into speed-matched contact with the upper surface of the vessel in order to investigate the potential utility of the ship as an airborne landing surface. This did not result in definitive intelligence, as no contact resulted.

While this vessel appears to belong to the well-known P class, the additional factors of the ship's increased speed and unknown source of resistance to hydrogen ignition make her a dangerous and challenging foe. It is recommended that the Admirality commit significant resources to stopping this looming threat to the security of our forces at sea, in deployment, and to our civilian populations. I further suggest that the vessel be recognized as belonging to a special class which I will tentatively designate the G class, in acknowledgment of the vessel's suspected design mastermind, the shadowy figure known only in surreptitiously-obtained intelligence reports and correspondence as "Genius."

Damaged model is hardcoded in FM. Wings can take x% damaged, fuselage y%, etc etc.., you can choose only wich parts of the existing plane you can use

For the speed, is very important to use in "mods on".

List of damaged part on felix: Wings part are very too easy, i use fuse_1/2/3/4 part (fuselage) damaged model

Name="~gun02_ammo"
	Name="~gun01_ammo"
	Name="Fuse_1"
	Name="~ftank01"
	Name="Stoika_Center_01"
	Name="Stoika_Center_R01"
	Name="Stoika_Center_R02"
	Name="Stoika_Center_02"
	Name="Stoika_Center_L01"
	Name="Stoika_Center_L02"
	Name="Fuse_2"
	Name="~gun05_ammo"
	Name="~gun04_ammo"
	Name="~gun03_ammo"
	Name="Fuse_3"
	Name="Fuse_4"
	Name="Fuse_5"
	Name="Fuse_6_L_Strut02"
	Name="Fuse_6_L_Strut01"
	Name="Fuse_6_R_Strut01"
	Name="Fuse_6_R_Strut02"
	Name="Fuse_6"
	Name="Fuse_7"
	Name="GO_L_Strut_01"
	Name="GO_L_Strut_02"
	Name="GO_L"
	Name="GO_R_Strut_02"
	Name="GO_R_Strut_01"
	Name="GO_R"
	Name="VO"
	Name="Wing_Stab_L"
	Name="Wing_Stab_R"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_L_1_Strut02"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_L_1_Strut01"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_L_1_Strut04"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_L_1"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_R_1_Strut01"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_R_1_Strut02"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_R_1_Strut04"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_R_1"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_L_2_Strut01"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_L_2"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_R_2_Strut01"
Name="Wing_Bottom_R_2_Strut02"
Name="Wing_Bottom_R_2_Strut03"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_R_2"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_L_3_Strut01"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_L_3"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_R_3_Strut01"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_R_3_Strut02"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_R_3"
	Name="Wing_Float_L"
	Name="Wing_Float_R"
	Name="Wing_Top_L_1_Strut02"
	Name="Wing_Top_L_1_Strut01"
	Name="Wing_Top_L_1"
	Name="Wing_Top_R_1_Strut01"
	Name="Wing_Top_R_1_Strut02"
	Name="Wing_Top_R_1"
	Name="Wing_Top_L_2_Strut03"
	Name="Wing_Top_L_2_Strut04"
	Name="Wing_Top_L_2_Strut01"
	Name="Wing_Top_L_2_Strut02"
	Name="Wing_Top_L_2"
	Name="Wing_Top_R_2_Strut01"
	Name="Wing_Top_R_2_Strut03"
	Name="Wing_Top_R_2_Strut04"
	Name="Wing_Top_R_2_Strut02"
	Name="Wing_Top_R_2"
	Name="Wing_Top_L_3"
	Name="Wing_Top_R_3"
	Name="~ftank02"
	Name="Wing_Top_Center"
 Name="Elevator_L"
	Name="Elevator_R"
	Name="Aileron_L"
	Name="Aileron_R"
	Name="Rudder"
	Name="~fcooler01"
	Name="~otank01"
	Name="~eng01"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_L_1_Strut03"
	Name="~fcooler02"
	Name="~otank02"
	Name="~eng02"
	Name="Wing_Bottom_R_1_Strut03"
	Name="~eng02_scr1"
	Name="~eng01_scr1"

Bye

Genius

#52 =KAG=Dron

=KAG=Dron

Posted 15 December 2016 - 19:34

xez_0xqqTRY.jpg

#53 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 December 2016 - 21:21

xez_0xqqTRY.jpg

What does the poster say? I don't read Russian and I'm too lazy to figure it out on google :)

#54 testid

testid

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:24

http://sovietposter....17_archive.html

sadly, no fleet of red zeps resulted

#55 actionjoe

actionjoe
  • LocationNord, France.

Posted 19 December 2016 - 19:12

For those interested in skinning, I have arranged a .psd file (not really a template) for the Zeppelin. You'll have to play with opacity, levels, etc...to change color, and it may took sometimes, but it is feasible.

Here it is: https://www.dropbox...._17Dec.rar?dl=0

A WIP: https://www.dropbox....itre-1.jpg?dl=0

515024ActionjoeScreen.jpg

#56 kkang2828

kkang2828
  • LocationGwangju City, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:41

I'm having trouble with this mod. When I tried to run the mission, a message appears saying "Can't Load Object: LuaScripts\WorldObjects\zeppelin.txt". Then the PC locks. Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't work either.

Could someone please help me?

#57 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:04

Anyone?

#58 testid

testid

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:20

hi kk, no idea. someone just commented on my old vid posts from Dec on YT asking how to install the mod. I haven't followed up there because I don't remember what I did to install it. 

#59 bennymaeker

bennymaeker

Posted 02 May 2018 - 16:53

Hello. How I can fly the zeppelin? I used the JSGME tool and enabled the option "activate Modifications" But I don't found the Zeppelin ingame. Then I created a mission with the zeppelin and ingame it says, that the plane is not available.

#60 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 02 May 2018 - 17:23

Hi bennymaeker, the zeppelin is only an ai object, so u cant fly it yet, but maybe somthing changed and mod added the flying version. So how much i know u can use it as ai object in a mission or make ur mission and add it to it.

S!

#61 bennymaeker

bennymaeker

Posted 04 May 2018 - 16:56

hm, okay. What I must do to make it flyable?

#62 kkang2828

kkang2828

Posted 09 May 2018 - 13:00

You'll probably have to fiddle around with a ton of complicated programming. Do you think you can do that? Even if you make it flyable, what are you planning to do with a slow, lumbering airship? You could create your own mission and add the Zeppelin as an AI object to shoot at. But otherwise, the Zeppelin has little use.

#63 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 09 May 2018 - 17:40

hm, okay. What I must do to make it flyable?

I would first try to crack the RoF game engine.
Nice tool to start your first steps in hacking, is by using the UNgtp tool, as can be found on this site.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users