* * * * - 3 votes

[Mod] - Zeppelin_v1.0 and ZeppelinAI_v1.0

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Genius

Genius

Posted 07 December 2016 - 23:32

Hi all,

After a long work, i can release my Zeppelin P type mod.

A big thank you to:

- ActionJoe
- Syn_Vander and Syn_Bandy for her help on damaged texture
- C6_Barda
- Eee3
- Lefuneste
- 1PL_Pedro
- Fritz Flipitz
- Tenwal for his support

Important disclaimer:
Given the absence of SDK, this model includes the following limitations:
- To be used preferably in mods on and with ZeppelinAI_v1.0 mod activated
- If you install the zeppelin_AI mod, they impact the felixtowe fe2a AI
- Do not hesitate to give a fairly large radius (at least 200m) in the waypoints and spaced between waypoints  
- Only certain animations are integrated (fuel leak, smoke, fire, motor damaged)
- Use of felix gunner for gondola / brandeburg W12 for top gunners
- not correct damaged model
- Use of felix fe2a flight model (because of is horizontal stand on landing)
- not flyable plane

The download links:

The readme

Mod Zeppelin V1.0

3D Model by Genius
Texture by ActionJoe / Genius with the kind participation of Fritz Flipitz (Aka T'zar) and C6_Barda
Mission and skins by ActionJoe

This mod implement Zeppelin P type:

*Plane
- Zeppelin

*Blocks
- Zeppelin_static

*Mission
- Zeppelin_Mission1b (Mission\Mods)

Changelog:

V0.5:
- New texture
- Modify material type for canopy glass interior / exterior
- Change 3D of the gunner deck
- Change 3D of Maybach motor
- Add opening behind gunner deck
- Add new gunner post
- Add static object

V0.6:
- Add visibility animation for damaged model
- Add Specific AI luascripts to match with the zeppelin performance

v0.7:
- Use filter color map for damaged texture

v0.8:
- Add mission by ActionJoe

v1.0:
- minor correction to the mission and luascripts adjsutments
- Add 3 skins for Zeppelin by Actionjoe

Disclaimer - Given the absence of SDK, this model includes the following limitations:
- To be used preferably in mods on and with ZeppelinAI_v1.0 mod activated
- If you install the zeppelin_AI mod, they impact the felixtowe fe2a AI
- Do not hesitate to give a fairly large radius (at least 200m) in the waypoints and spaced between waypoints  
- Only certain animations are integrated (fuel leak, smoke, fire, motor damaged)
- Use of felix gunner for gondola / brandeburg W12 for top gunners
- not correct damaged model
- Use of felix fe2a flight model (because of is horizontal stand on landing)
- not flyable plane

Sources:

Mod Zeppelin_AI_V1.0

by Genius and ActionJoe

This mod revised the felixtowe IA for the use of the Zeppelin mod.

Disclaimer:
- To be used preferably in mods on for the Zeppelin_v1.0 mod
- If you install this mod, they impact the felixtowe fe2a AI

#2 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 07 December 2016 - 23:41

How about some screen shots. :icon_e_salute:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#3 Genius

Genius

Posted 07 December 2016 - 23:41

Screenshots by ActionJoe:

zeppelin2_imagesia-com_1bypp.jpg

zeppelin3_imagesia-com_1bypo.jpg

zeppelin-night-mission_imagesia-com_1byp

zeppelin-fire-2_imagesia-com_1byps.jpg

#4 Cybermat47

Cybermat47
  • LocationNew South Wales, Australia

Posted 07 December 2016 - 23:46

:icon_eek: :icon_eek:   ZEPPELINS?!  :icon_eek:  :icon_eek:

"If I could only have brought him down alive."
- Lieutenant Arthur Rhys-Davids, recalling his victory over Leutnant Werner Voss.

#5 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 07 December 2016 - 23:54

OMG  :)

#6 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:09

fantastic !!!

sig9.png

#7 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:11

This is Great G!

S!

Gamecock,The Kickin Chickin 

Untitled.jpg

#8 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:23

Got the files as soon as I saw this!

Do you put Zeppelin and ZeppelinAI files in the MODS folder separately ... (for JSGME)?

Do you have to build a mission in the editor to use it? 

#9 Genius

Genius

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:14

Got the files as soon as I saw this!
Do you put Zeppelin and ZeppelinAI files in the MODS folder separately ... (for JSGME)?
Do you have to build a mission in the editor to use it?

Thanks,

Yes the zeppelin mod and the zeppelin ai mod need to be put in mods folder separatly for use with jsgme.

One mission are in the mods (see the readme), need pup plane to fly against zeppelin. Zeppelin Is'nt flyable and quick mission are not available.

Bye

Genius

#10 Tzar

Tzar

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:11

I am so glad you released this Genius....  :icon_e_smile:

Great Job!   You Guys Rock!  :icon_e_salute:

Thank you for the kind mention, but my participation was small and I/we appreciated the opportunity to help. 

Fritz!

#11 Lothar29

Lothar29

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:40

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!! Yes? OMG!!

BannerFEOWPiave2012.png

#12 remcov

remcov

Posted 08 December 2016 - 17:07

Nice xmas gift to th comunity ... thanks!

#13 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 December 2016 - 18:52

Thank you Genius and team! Hard to shoot down with a single gun!

1mUlMuE.png
Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#14 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 08 December 2016 - 20:20

Thank you gentlemen!  This is a feather in the cap for third-party modders!

I'm curious about the 'skin' for the zeppelin.  Please do not get me wrong here, you've done a wonderful job, but I think the fabric of at least the later zeppelins had an aluminum base which gave it a more silvery appearance, rather than looking like canvas.  I do not know the history, perhaps you do?

#15 Tzar

Tzar

Posted 09 December 2016 - 00:05

I'm curious about the 'skin' for the zeppelin.  Please do not get me wrong here, you've done a wonderful job, but I think the fabric of at least the later zeppelins had an aluminum base which gave it a more silvery appearance, rather than looking like canvas.  I do not know the history, perhaps you do?

I think everyone that worked on this project tried to figure that question out, It was discussed.
Though I am glad they released the earlier canvas skins.

My research leads me to believe you can skin this zeppelin in canvas, canvas/black, lt.blue/black, silver-grey, silver-grey/black, lt.blue/silver grey. and maybe some camouflage, and a few others not listed. I cannot help you with the camouflage colors though there is LZ41 L11 in canvas and black.

There were 22 of these made and when they transitioned from the army to the navy they changed colors, when they replaced cells, when they changed from day to night bombing, and so on.  There is even one P type Zeppelin that was destroyed by the British bombing raids on the Zeppelin Hangers that was rebuilt, renumbered and repainted before it's 1st flight.

Like most questions on color it really is quite hard to answer it, the data is just is not there, or as clear as we would like it to be....
I for one can't wait to see what the community comes up with.

Fritz

Updated: The colors for L11 were from back to front of the Zeppelin,  Black/Green/Black/Canvas/Burnt umber in 5 huge sections, Gondolas were Grey with the tops painted canvas/tan color.

Edited by Tzar, 09 December 2016 - 04:05.

#16 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 09 December 2016 - 00:40

This might answer some questions about Zeppelin paint jobs,http://generalaviati...ctually-silver/

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#17 testid

testid

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:52

yaaay!

Thank you!

#18 testid

testid

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:25

Robinson's 1994 "The Zeppelin in Combat" has extensive mission information on the L23 and includes a photo of her in flight as well as the RFC AAR of her shootdown.

http://imgur.com/a/Bk7E7

Imgur did not upload the images in natural sequence. As there are only three I trust you will be able to figure out the presentation order on your own.

#19 testid

testid

Posted 09 December 2016 - 23:01

Well, this is great!

The zeppelin is unexpectedly fast and uses the cloud layer effectively to hide. It's not clear to me if the flammability of the cells has been modeled or if one must target the engines - at any rate, it's clearly a more challenging hunt than the zeps were in DoA.

#20 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:04

Beneath the canvas skin, the hydrogen bags were made with cow's appendices (intestines). Sausages's making in Germany were low during that time.
At 9:34

#21 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:41

"it's clearly a more challenging hunt than the zeps were in DoA."

Ya but DoA was great for dogfights huh?

1mUlMuE.png
Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#22 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:36

I don't know much about Zeppelins for gameplay, but I do know how hard it is to use Blender to make a 3D model with.  Pretty impressive.

#23 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:23

This might answer some questions about Zeppelin paint jobs,http://generalaviati...ctually-silver/

Thanks for that, should have searched myself but was at work when posted. 

I remember reading about RAF pilots lamenting the camoflage overpaint of their silver-doped Harts and Gladiators as the war was shaping up (late 1930's).  I believe it was Peter Townsend's book, he said the camo paint added enough weight to reduce top speed noticeably (around 10 mph if memory serves).

So canvas colored zeps it is, with two-tone for night raiders.  The Channel Map has a completely new purpose, not that the Gotha raid missions weren't fun.

Cheers again!

#24 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 10 December 2016 - 14:45

Great work Genius (and others)! It works quite well, even with the AI being based on an existing plane. I tried to make the zeppelin fly more " stable"  by using "high"  priority waypoints. The drawback of course is that the gunners will not fire then!

Findings: flying speed is too high which is a pity since it changes the way you have to attack the zeppelin. This is obviousuly an issue because of the re-used flight model.

Skins: Because it's such a big object it is very noticeable when the skin swaps. Therefore I would always use the default skin in missions. So I would make the default skin the one that was the most common during the war.

Damage model: This is a big challenge and it's what kept me from making a zeppelin model myself. The "1st" damage layer works pretty well with the bullet holes etc. But when the zeppelin reaches the final damage state it should perhaps go to a " crumpled" model, without breaking in two? 

The Zeppelin is very tough as four cooper bombs will not bring it down! :)

But still it looks great and will be nice object in MP missions where everyone will be drawn towards it!

#25 Genius

Genius

Posted 10 December 2016 - 16:53

Thanks all,

For the color, we use this reference: https://www.awm.gov....n/REL/05031.004

05031.004.JPG

And this: http://www.iwm.org.u...object/30089386

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Vehicles%2

Findings: flying speed is too high which is a pity since it changes the way you have to attack the zeppelin. This is obviousuly an issue because of the re-used flight model.

For the speed, do you try with mods on ? 
We could not limit the speed too much otherwise the zeppelin had too much difficulty to take altitude.

The Zeppelin is very tough as four cooper bombs will not bring it down! The "1st" damage layer works pretty well with the bullet holes etc. But when the zeppelin reaches the final damage state it should perhaps go to a " crumpled" model, without breaking in two? 

Could you explain; i don't understand well ? The zeppelin is not supposed to cut in two in my mods.

I can't affect wings damage on the balloon gaz / covering, because in this case (with the huge size) it's so easy to kill him. I use the "fuselage" damaged model.

On the other hand, I was obliged to make transparent some of the detachable pieces because of the wrong "fall animation" (incorrect pivot point - Even by correcting it in 3ds max).

If someone is interested i can share some of my "retro-enginering"

Bye

Genius

#26 testid

testid

Posted 10 December 2016 - 20:21

Ya but DoA was great for dogfights huh?

Sure was Adam. I flew west coast evenings circa 1998-2001. I remember Looney, Airdvl, Target, among others. Looked Onerka up a few years ago and tried to cajole him over here but he didn't want to invest in a new rig at that time.

Come to think of it, maybe I should find him again and send my old rig up to him, the one I initially used here. hmmmm

Seems like I may have fired DoA up around the time I contacted him to compare how it felt and looked to ROF, and while DoA did a pretty good job with the instability of the Camel (and made me miss our old Camel here) the overwhelming superiority of ROF, the more detailed flight modeling, the eye candy and so forth, really outshone the old sim.

One feature I liked very much on DoA that we don't have here (and which I think is a reasonable choice by Jason et al) was the individual volume controls for various elements of SFX on one's plane. You could crank the sound on the body of the plane as it creaked and pinged when you were overstressing it, and effectively was an audio-based damage UI. It was pretty impressive and I have always wondered this aspect and potential of UI design is so neglected not just in simming but in other fields - if you shift data channels off the screen, you can reduce visual cognitive load and increase usability.

The other feature that DoA had that we miss here is interactive gunnery stats. The lack of an option to invoke a realtime numeric display of one's accuracy as a percentile dramatically improves the learning curve. Excluding the feature here, as with the multichannel audio, is very much in line with the more-realistic ethos of ROF and are defensible and considered design choices. I still miss 'em, though.

#27 testid

testid

Posted 10 December 2016 - 20:56

Regarding the zep speed, I agree that it is faster than expected, possibly ahistorically so (which, given it's a hologram worn by a Felixstowe, I expect may be unavoidable). I actually liked this about the mission, because it made it so challenging to catch the damn thing. I loaded the HE rockets, figuring, hey, this is the definition of the broadside of a barn door, and completely forgot about them once I was on beam.

Given the limitations in defensive armament on the other multicrew a/c, I certainly understand using the Felix as the basis for this mod. I wonder which plane is the slowest of our bombers? If the speed issue is a deal killer maybe swapping the faster plane out for the slower, less-well-armed one might be a possible solution.

I certainly hope that Dr. Zebra will turn his cinematic attention to this mod, as it surely calls out to him in his dreams.

Genius, I was also wondering if you had it in mind to take a crack at a multizep raid, say on the port at Felixstowe or even over in the Belgian areas of the map, and if you were considering other later zep models for later release, such as a height climber or some such.

Finally, I suspect you set the mission time with respect to the historical encounter it's based on, with the sun low in the sky. Whether or not you did, it's GENIUS because of the effect is has on the hunt and also breathtaking in the clouds as they take on that dawn and dusk coloring. Absolutely fantastic work. Thanks again!

#28 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 11 December 2016 - 00:40

I saw a statement in one of the posts above that seemed a bit odd to me - "We could not limit the speed too much otherwise the zeppelin had too much difficulty to take altitude".  Maybe it's a language thing and I don't understand the point being made, but assuming we can't fly these things and have to have specially-written missions for them anyway, couldn't they just be air-started at the right (high) altitude, so that ability to gain altitude wouldn't be much of a factor?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:  RoF SPAM killer markings-27.jpg

#29 testid

testid

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:02

For reference

Stall speeds in RoF #1
https://riseofflight...0-stall-speeds/

(Felix reported at 100-120)

Stall speeds in RoF #2
https://riseofflight...ta/#entry149787

Wikipedia reference on P-type
https://en.m.wikiped...eppelin_P_Class
Speeds:
Maximum speed: 92 km/h; 50 kn (57 mph)
Cruise speed: 63 km/h; 34 kn (39 mph)

So in sum, the use of the Felixstowe forces the higher speed of Genius' zep, for sure.

#30 testid

testid

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:57

(linkover to Wolfpac's old static object zep thread)
https://riseofflight...e-5#entry668095

#31 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:26

For the speed, do you try with mods on ? 
We could not limit the speed too much otherwise the zeppelin had too much difficulty to take altitude.

Could you explain; i don't understand well ? The zeppelin is not supposed to cut in two in my mods.

I can't affect wings damage on the balloon gaz / covering, because in this case (with the huge size) it's so easy to kill him. I use the "fuselage" damaged model.

On the other hand, I was obliged to make transparent some of the detachable pieces because of the wrong "fall animation" (incorrect pivot point - Even by correcting it in 3ds max).

If someone is interested i can share some of my "retro-enginering"

Bye

Genius

I didn't turn on mods on! My bad....will try again.

#32 HippyDruid

HippyDruid

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:34

Excellent work. It looks fantastic!

Holidays are on the way too, so I am looking forward to trying this out.

Cheers

:icon_e_salute:

#33 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:38

These look awesome. I am going to have to get my joystick working again. 

Thanks to all those who have contributed to this magnificent mod.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#34 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:09

Amazing work Genius, et al!

Also, Thanks to ActionJoe for the impressive screenshots -- Even with the felixstowe as a base model (have you thought about the S22?), just having one of those behemoths to chase after in a mission would make for an interesting flight.

Kudos, Gents!

Cheers,

4 :icon_e_salute:  

#35 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:02

Amazing work Genius, et al!

...have you thought about the S22? ...

Will let Genius et al. be the authority here, but meanwhile, I suspect they went with the Felix to allow all the extra defensive gun positions since it has the most.

RE: Felix speed.  Could the Felix/zeppelin 'FM' be set to have as default 100% fuel and all guns and bombs?  The Felix is a complete pig completely loaded out.  You've likely done this already...

Cheers!

#36 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 12 December 2016 - 14:49

Oh Genius!

#37 testid

testid

Posted 12 December 2016 - 19:39

AAR for 12/11

Successfully located zeppelin on previously reported heading. Ship wears designation L23 and is a dun canvas color. Ship exhibits two previously unobserved characteristics in zeppelins and other hydrogen-lofted LTA.

One, ship is much faster than previously reported, traveling at speeds of roughly 75-80 mph as observed on my instrumentation.

Two, the ship is surprisingly resistant to attacks oriented on the hydrogen-filled gas bladders contained within the envelope of the hull. Anecdotal reports from other engaging pilots indicate that cooper bombs failed to ignite the hull. In this most recent engagement a volley of high explosive rockets which produced an estimated complement of four to five strikes followed by the entirety of my ammunition stores also failed to bring abut the desired result. Fortunately, my experimental gun camera implementation was in place and operational and I expect to be able to provide film for analysis once the reel has returned from photo recon for development.

Additionally, an attempt was made to bring my aircraft into speed-matched contact with the upper surface of the vessel in order to investigate the potential utility of the ship as an airborne landing surface. This did not result in definitive intelligence, as no contact resulted.

While this vessel appears to belong to the well-known P class, the additional factors of the ship's increased speed and unknown source of resistance to hydrogen ignition make her a dangerous and challenging foe. It is recommended that the Admirality commit significant resources to stopping this looming threat to the security of our forces at sea, in deployment, and to our civilian populations. I further suggest that the vessel be recognized as belonging to a special class which I will tentatively designate the G class, in acknowledgment of the vessel's suspected design mastermind, the shadowy figure known only in surreptitiously-obtained intelligence reports and correspondence as "Genius."

#38 Friggitotti

Friggitotti

Posted 12 December 2016 - 20:02

Any video ?

#39 testid

testid

Posted 12 December 2016 - 22:32

Still waiting on the boys in the photo recon lab. soon. There is some footage in this thread:

https://riseofflight...tic#entry674485

#40 testid

testid

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:11

Screen caps from the mission associated with the AAR above. I fly triple-wide and crunching the vids down is driving the recon lab bananas.

http://imgur.com/a/jhknB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users