Photo
- - - - -

Newbie with impending new HOTAS joystick

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kevmusic

kevmusic

Posted 20 November 2016 - 21:27

Hi guys, I'm a long time away from simming (ex MSFS and Targetware) and my old MS Sidewinder joystick bit the dust years ago. Now, I want to get up in the virtual sky again, and my brilliant daughter wants to provide me with a top end controller and rudder pedal set up for Christmas! She's been on some sim forums to do research but it's come down to me to do the final decision-making. It seems to be a choice between the Warthog and Saitek. I run Win 10 and am an ex pilot on old stick and rudder aeroplanes so I need a setup that's compatible at both ends! I have absolutely NO idea about the pros and cons of modern joysticks - they all look a bit 'fast jet' to me but I'm sure the functionality's the same. (I also will have to get to grips with Teamspeak and Track IR, but one thing at a time!)

As a newcomer to the modern flight simming world I'd be grateful for any advice you've got re the joysticks. Looking forward to seeing you in the skies!

Kev.

Win 10; Lenovo C50-30; Intel Core i3-4005U CPU @ 1.7Ghz.

RAM 8.00 Gb; 64-bit OS, x64-based processor.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster pedals, TrackIR 5.

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 20 November 2016 - 22:53

Welcome to the Forums!

There seem to be a fair number of choices for pedals, including some pretty new ones.  I've had my Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals for a few years now, and I'm pretty happy with them (but they're the only ones I've had so I can't really compare them to the others).  Some of the new ones I've seen talked about on the BoS/BoM forums (MFG Crosswind, BRD) look intriguing and if these ever go bad I'll probably consider them, though they seem a bit pricey.

I agree with you that a lot of the newer sticks seem/look/feel too much like modern jet era for my taste, and generally they don't have FFB.  I'm still using some old Logitech Force 3D Pro joysticks, because I really enjoy the FFB and could never get my old MS FFB2 sticks to work properly with RoF (some people have, and speak very highly of the MS sticks - I loved how the stick felt and controlled the aircraft in RoF, but couldn't get past the FFB not working properly on them on my rig).  I haven't seen/heard about anybody making new FFB sticks these days, so you pretty much just have to take your chances picking them up used on E-Bay or somewhere - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  

Fortunately, the planes in RoF tend to have pretty simple controls, so you can get by pretty easily with a stick that has a reasonable/middling number of buttons and things.  I did eventually pick up a Saitek Pro Flight three-lever quadrant, that I use for throttle, mixture and radiator - highly recommended little piece of gear, and I'm thinking about getting another one to make flying the twin-engined planes a bit easier and more fun.  Probably the last thing I would think about picking up (after stick, pedals and TIR), but it has been cooler than I originally expected it to be.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#3 kevmusic

kevmusic

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:19

Ah, now that's interesting - I assumed they would all have FFB. It was certainly a positive aspect about the old MS stick - though it could be a bit OTT in crash- or even taxi-mode. The fact that the modern sticks don't is a bit depressing. Thanks for your input, that gives me a bit more to go on.

#4 bifcondor

bifcondor
  • Locationin the wind

Posted 22 November 2016 - 13:29

i hope you enjoy your return to the virtual skies as much as i have, i got back into it about six months ago. i use the thrustmaster warthog stick and throttle. the metal construction feels good and i cannot complain about the response. i added a joystick extension and have the stick positioned between my legs as in real aircraft. i ditched my saitek pedals for the vkb t-rudder pedals mk-iv. however, i have ordered the slaw device RX Viper pedals as they have means of toe braking. i plan to evaluate and compare the two as i fly DCS and BOS and P-51 and UH-1 aircraft. i am only just now exploring WW1 aircraft through rise of flight.
i have never used a ffb controller before so cannot comment there. of course, any sim is missing the motion and feel feedback sense but i have just taken that for granted. my biggest surprise was the track Ir technology compared to using a cooley hat to change views. what a difference a decade in develop makes.

Attached Files

#5 kevmusic

kevmusic

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:55

That's clever!

#6 raker

raker

Posted 15 January 2017 - 15:56

I use a hotas warthog and homemade throttles and pedals. But I recently saw this pedal...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users