Photo
- - - - -

Rivers are not blue !

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NOSTEP

NOSTEP

Posted 03 December 2009 - 21:02

Any of you who have had the chance to fly in small aircraft low down will have noticed two things:

1. ROF is one of the best - probably THE best - visual representation of low level flight we have seen on any sim to date. Which is why the next point is so painful

2. Rivers, ponds and small lakes are NOT blue or rippley (I just made that word up) - when seen from the air !!

Now, the sea is big and so reflects the sky extensively; and on the occasional (in this part of the world) clear sunny days when the sky is blue, it appears blue - remember how we all colored it when we were kids. More often, the sea is a mottled - often very beautiful - silver-grey…..

But - inland bodies of water (unless they are VERY big - and there are none like that round here) are ….. light brown, olive, buff, dark green, almost black. Lots of colors - but not blue. They also appear as smooth as glass - especially in this part of Europe which is pretty flat anyway and the rivers are slow flowing. In the middle-distance when they do reflect, they appear bright silver and are clear landmarks that we are tought to recognize and use in VFR navigation…. But they are not blue.

ROF Team - please fix this in a future release ! Pretty well every sim I've seen - and I've tried most of them - get this wrong. ROF is already about the best - but please, give us rivers that are ….. light brown, olive, buff, dark green, almost black; but NOT blue !

#2 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 03 December 2009 - 22:15

Agree with you for the real colors of rivers…maybe we can adjust some colors from our screen settings - i didn't try. Problem is if we change blue colors, the sky will change too…so it has to be done in the game writing…
What bother me more with the rivers, is there isn't springs…i mean the rivers start as wide as they look forward :cry:
I'm sure it could be easy to make them thinner from the start!
Regards

#3 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 10 December 2009 - 16:16

Never thought of this, but it sounds right. I wonder how it would look like in combination with the landscape, if it were done more realistically.

#4 NOSTEP

NOSTEP

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:57

Would be better !

Somewhere I have some great photos of durham / Northumberland from about 2500 ft on a blustery spring day quite a lot of years ago … will post if I can find them !

Also surprising just how difficult it can be to find rivers from the air that seem 'quite big' on the ground ! (trust me - I know …)

Anyone else notice how the 'real water textures' in FS9 and FSX completely wreck otherwise beautiful photographic scenery ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users