Setting up a Warthog HOTAS Throttle for ROF

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ceowulf

Ceowulf
  • LocationA long way from Tipperary

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:15

Hi,

I just got one of these as a gift and I'm looking to set it up for ROF in conjunction with CH pedals and my MS FFB stick.  Does anyone care to share how they set up their stand alone throttle, especially their Warthog throttle?  

The thing is awesome, by the way.  Even though I'd seen pictures, I was surprised how big, heavy, and well built it feels.  I'm feeling pretty fortunate to have all this cool stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Ceowulf<><

#2 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:04

Get the drivers from Thrustmaster, but for purposes of ROF, you don't need TARGET.

Honestly, I don't use the throttle for ROF much, even for a throttle.  I'm using a Saitek throttle for power, altitude throttle, and mixture.  But on the Warthog throttle, I have the grey slider thing set to stabilizer trim, and a button somewhere to tilt the guns.  That's it.  The Warthog throttle doesn't get much use at all for me in ROF.

For ROF, it's just another throttle.  For a sim like DCS, you can do some very cool scripting things to take advantage of the many 3 position switches (On-Off-On).  In ROF, there is no need to bother with that.   Just view it as a throttle with a lot of buttons and switches to assign.  For example, you might assign your Push-to-talk to the Boat Switch.

When used for it's intended purpose, as a throttle, I tend to keep the two levers locked together for single engined aircraft or when working the collective in a helicopter, just for the feel of it, even though one axis is inert.  Obviously I will decouple them if dealing with a mulit-engined aircraft.

#3 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:17

It does seem a bit much Wulf for a WW1 plane, but you can put all those switches to good use.

On my config - firstly I have the throttle reversed. Mainly because of my setup I have to stretch a bit more than I'd like, so it's easier for me that way !

Red 'pinky' button - icons on / off.

Middle finger (push) - Player List (stats). I could never get the rollerball to do anything !

Index finger 'HAt' (up) - Blip.  (down) - Fire flare / pistol.

Thumb 'Hat' - Chat on / off.  Map on / off.  Options Menu.

Thumb switches - One is Gunners on / off.

'Eng Oper L & R' - Engine 1 & 2 on / off.

Grey slider - Radiator.

Flaps switch - Altitude throttle. (don't like it much for this though..)

Autopilot - Autopilot. A match !

Autopilot Switch - Auto Rad on / off. Auto Mix on / off.

There'll be a couple I forgot (bomb doors for one), but there's still some switches left to assign.

I have the WH stick also and those commands work in conjunction with my throttle unit, so the above is obviously incomplete and just to give you some ideas.

I'm not set up for gunning or bombing particularly so potentially I could have more things assigned.

It all helps keep you off the keyboard at least which is a good thing.

I'f I'd recommend one of my assignments it would be that index finger hat for Blipping ;) .

The 'pinky' switch is infamously fragile btw, it's very slack and don't be surprised if it breaks.

Anyway have fun with it !

:icon_e_salute:

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#4 dharkins

dharkins

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:38

I have the Hotas  Warthog A-10c set up with thustmaster rudders . But it is using the same axis for, both throttle and rudder. Plane is uncontrollable . ( windows 10)

#5 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 30 October 2016 - 16:21

I have the Hotas  Warthog A-10c set up with thustmaster rudders . But it is using the same axis for, both throttle and rudder. Plane is uncontrollable . ( windows 10)

That's not the fault of the rudders, throttles or joysticks.  You realize that a mandatory setup step in ROF, and every other video game, is to assign your controls as you want them, right?  This step may include removing any conflicts, such as multiple controllers being assigned to the same axis.

#6 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 30 October 2016 - 18:18

As has been said, it is probably "too much" hardware for ROF. Having said that, I use it myself. The throttle is great because you can use it in both single and twin eng. AC. You'll find many uses for the various buttons and switches. I use a toggle for eng. start/stop, the red "pinky" button as bomb release, thumb switch as blip and other switches for different in game actions. 

I use many for TS, like push to talk, changing channels, whispers, etc. There are still some switches that I don't use.

I'm just the opposite from Ice as I use the grey slider for my mixture or altitude throttle,(depending on plane of course), and I use a separate Saitek throttle,(well parts of one really), for my Radiator.

It's a good piece of hardware, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

S!

Gamecock,The Kickin Chickin   http://www.jasta5.org

Untitled.jpg

#7 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 30 October 2016 - 19:21

I'm just the opposite from Ice as I use the grey slider for my mixture or altitude throttle,(depending on plane of course), and I use a separate Saitek throttle,(well parts of one really), for my Radiator.

I should do it your way...that's exactly how I do it in BoS...it was only a matter of habit I guess that has kept me using a cheap Saitek throttle instead of the Warthog one for ROF, and what's more, that Saitek throttle is on it's last legs:  I've over-revved a motor more than once because the throttle spiked up to 100% when I pulled it back to idle.

(btw, a little topic drift here, but as we know the Saitek throttles wear out quickly, and they've been unavailable for a while.  However, apparently Logitech bought the company, so those $50 throttles will soon be available again, according to Amazon.  We can hope that new ownsership also brings highter quality standards too.)

#8 dharkins

dharkins

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:00

In the set up menu, I move the rudders  to set them  in the game . Then , I set the Throttle the same  way. But , the game reads them as the same controller . I  am going to do it using  T.A.R.G.E.T.   I know the path , but I have trouble  finding the working directory and associate configuration in Steam . This is because ,  the Steam  folder  is empty on the hard drive and I do not see the game listed.

#9 bifcondor

bifcondor
  • Locationin the wind

Posted 23 November 2016 - 19:47

it took me a few minutes of looking around but I found it. in settings, go to the controls tab and go to plane control: yaw, click the X and then move the rudders. then click apply. same for throttle but engine controls tab. very similar to BOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users