* * * * * 1 votes

No 56 Sqn Forming and Recruiting

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:35

Almost one hundred years to the day after the formation of the real-life squadron, No 56 Sqn, a virtual group, is now forming to fly and fight in the virtual skies of the WWI flight simulator, Rise of Flight. The mission of the squadron is to foster fun and camaraderie in a virtual WWI combat flight simulator setting while honoring the memory of the real life airmen of No 56 Sqn who fought in the Great War. 

We will fly mostly British rides (especially the S.E.5a) on the Allied side. We welcome members of all skill levels as long as they are respectful of their squadron-mates and the Rise of Flight community at large.

Our Squad Night will be on Thursdays at 8:30pm (U.S. Central Time).

I myself am a newbie pilot in RoF, though I have been flying in combat flight sims on and off since 2012. I have been a member of a squadron before and like that aspect of virtual flying. I am a history buff and am particularly intrigued by the history of No 56 Sqn during WWI. For these reasons, I decided to start this squadron. Hopefully I am not being too out of line with protocol by embarking on such a venture without having the seasoned experience that other members have in this community.

For more information about No 56 Sqn (RoF)--including on how to join--check out the squadron website: 56sqn.com.

Please post questions, comments, and requests in this thread -- they are welcome. Salute to all and happy flying!

S!

Alex "56Sqn_Badger"

CO, No 56 (V) Sqn

#2 Bluhm

Bluhm
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:32

Welcome to the Rise of Flight community!

:icon_e_salute:

logo_1470049335_cp.png

#3 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 23 October 2016 - 13:11

S! 

On behalf of Jasta 5, we wish you best of luck in your new venture!  Will be great to have another squad in the RoF community.

Gamecock,The Kickin Chickin 

Untitled.jpg

#4 J2_Mr_Tree

J2_Mr_Tree

Posted 23 October 2016 - 13:51

Welcome!

#5 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 October 2016 - 14:31

Welcome to Rise of Flight on behalf of JG1! We look forward to seeing you in the skies! :icon_e_salute:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#6 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 23 October 2016 - 16:59

S!

Looks great.   

Back in the RB3D days, I believe there was a 56 squad that used the names of the real pilots as a way to honor their memory.  Very nice indeed.

sig9.png

#7 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger

Posted 23 October 2016 - 22:48

Salute to all of you, and thank you for the kind and welcoming comments! I hope to see you soon in the virtual skies.

S!

Alex "56Sqn_Badger"

CO, No 56 (V) Sqn

#8 J5_Baeumer

J5_Baeumer

Posted 24 October 2016 - 00:41

Welcome, Badger. Good to see a Entente squadron form.

Paul Bäumer

Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 5

www.jasta5.org

#9 JG1_Klaiber

JG1_Klaiber

Posted 24 October 2016 - 20:26

Welcome Badger!

Klaiber_long_ROF.png?dl=0
Hals - und Beinbruch!

#10 US103_Hall

US103_Hall
  • LocationSan Tan Valley, Arizona

Posted 08 November 2016 - 23:56

Just dropping in to show off the shiny new 56Sqn_ tag in front of my name (formerly F.C.Whiskey). Thanks to 56Sqn_Badger for allowing me to join!

Join the USAS Today!

http://us103.enjin.com/

#11 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 November 2016 - 00:51

Looks good on you mate! :D

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#12 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:19

Right on! Good to see a new allied squadron!

1mUlMuE.png
Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#13 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter
  • LocationOver The Front!

Posted 09 November 2016 - 16:22

What a great squadron to emulate!

Get ahold of High in the Empty Blue, by Alex Revell

https://www.amazon.c...gh in the empty

Also McCudden's Flying Fury is great too.

https://www.amazon.c...rds=flying fury

103rd%20forum%20sig.jpg

#14 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:59

I've read McCudden's book and it's a great one! Along with Lewis's Sagittarius Rising (who was also in No 56 Sqn) and Yeates's Winged Victory (my all-time favorite), they're my triumvirate of highly-recommended WWI aviation books.

I'm currently reading Alex Revell's No 56 Sqn by Osprey Publishing and High in the Empty Blue is definitely on my wishlist. Thanks for the tips, J2_vonKost! Good flying and fighting with you tonight, as well  :icon_cool:

S!

Alex "56Sqn_Badger"

CO, No 56 (V) Sqn

#15 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:04

No 56 Sqn would like to welcome to our ranks 56Sqn_Whiskey! He's the first member to join the squad after me, and it's a pleasure to fly with (and fight alongside) him in the virtual skies of Rise of Flight. Here's to many victories and fun times in No 56 Sqn!

If you're just browsing this post and are interested in joining our newly-forming Entente squadron, check out our website at www.56sqn.com.

S!

Alex "56Sqn_Badger"

CO, No 56 (V) Sqn

#16 J5_Baeumer

J5_Baeumer

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:32

S! Badger,

Inviting you and your 56 Sqn pilots to participate in this years' Bloody April Campaign.  More information and link to registration here: https://riseofflight...0-years-later/ 

Paul Bäumer

Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 5

www.jasta5.org

#17 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger

Posted 03 March 2018 - 00:07

After a personal hiatus, I am reactivating No 56 Sqn as a WWI virtual squadron in RoF. All of the information mentioned in my original post on this thread still applies. As one of the very few British squadrons currently active in RoF, we welcome members new and old as long as you are respectful, mature, and sportsmanlike. Visit our website (56sqn.com) to learn more or PM me on this forum.

It's good to be back! See you all in the virtual skies.

:icon_e_smile:

S!

Alex "56Sqn_Badger"

CO, No 56 (V) Sqn

#18 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:51

Welcome back 56Sqn, see you gents up there!

#19 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:11

Good to see you back!  :icon_e_salute:

comic3_signature2018.png

#20 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 March 2018 - 14:03

I shall see you gentlemen in the skies. Salute! :icon_e_salute:

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#21 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger

Posted 04 March 2018 - 17:18

Thank you for the warm welcomes back! See you all in the high empty (pixelated) blue :)

S!

Alex "56Sqn_Badger"

CO, No 56 (V) Sqn

#22 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 06 March 2018 - 19:05

We need british squadrons!

Although I will miss flying the SE5a for balance ;)

S!

#23 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 06 March 2018 - 21:12

Great news! RoF is in dire need of some more Entente squadrons! Best of luck!

zEKqGuL.png

#24 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 06 March 2018 - 21:15

After a personal hiatus, I am reactivating No 56 Sqn as a WWI virtual squadron in RoF.

Excellent news. Best wishes!

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#25 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger

Posted 08 March 2018 - 21:40

@J2_Bidu, @J2_Wulfe, and @xvii-Dietrich: Thanks you, S!

For those considering joining No 56 Sqn, a couple of us will be flying on MP today (Thursday) during our Squad Night hours, starting at 8:30 p.m. (Central Time). For comms, find me on the New Wings TeamSpeak Server (same callsign).

S!

Alex "56Sqn_Badger"

CO, No 56 (V) Sqn

#26 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 March 2018 - 00:21

@J2_Bidu, @J2_Wulfe, and @xvii-Dietrich: Thanks you, S!

For those considering joining No 56 Sqn, a couple of us will be flying on MP today (Thursday) during our Squad Night hours, starting at 8:30 p.m. (Central Time). For comms, find me on the New Wings TeamSpeak Server (same callsign).

That is a really great time to have your squad night! If you are interested, that just so happens to coincide with the community’s alternating fly-in nights on Wargrounds and Cuban’s server. This would guarantee you full servers to fly on. We fly from about 8-10pm Central. :)

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#27 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger

Posted 28 March 2018 - 18:21

HotleadColdfeet, that is indeed fantastic that the servers are full on Thursday evenings (thanks to JG1, US103, and others).

I also want to announce that the No 56 Sqn Discord Server is now live and open to all: http://discord.gg/QvpexcX . Discord is a (free) text chat and voice comms platform for gamers. While we will use our TeamSpeak channel for voice comms for now (thanks again, FourSpeed and NWW, for creating one for us), you can chat over text with me and future No 56 Sqn members on the Discord server. This will be our primary method of communication while I research forum software options for us. All guests are welcome to join the Server too -- drop by and say hello  :) .

Attached File  Discord-Server-56Sqn-Screenshot-2018-03-28_10h57_21.png   350.09KB   0 downloads

S!

Alex "56Sqn_Badger"

CO, No 56 (V) Sqn

#28 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 March 2018 - 20:48

Cool! I may have to figure out how Discord works just to try out your channel! :)

I also wanted to say that I think your livestreams and YouTube channel are super-cool! If you’re interested, one or two people have asked for livestreams on Thursday from the Allies’ perspective. That might be neat to see! Just a thought. ;) Regardless of what you decide on that, keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing the No 56 squadron grow! :icon_e_salute:

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#29 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger

Posted 29 March 2018 - 00:23

Thanks for the kind words, Hotlead! Discord is very intuitive and widely used by gamers (the BoX community has a large unofficial Discord server, for instance). I'm thinking of setting up an unofficial Discord server for Flying Circus too when that comes out for the likely influx of new virtual pilots.

I enjoy watching your live streams and videos too. Come to think of it, the promo film you made for RoF and videos from other players were what intrigued me to get back into RoF again this year. Well done on that promo!

I'll start live streaming RoF sorties on my Twitch channel again in the near future (once muscle memory sets in again for WWI-type sim flying).

:icon_e_salute:

S!

Alex "56Sqn_Badger"

CO, No 56 (V) Sqn

#30 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:07

Awesome! I look forward to seeing the streams, mate!

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#31 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:42

Happy 100th anniversary to the RAF!

I've uploaded v1.00 of the No 56 (V) Sqn Pilot's Handbook. This 14-page document describes for the Rise of Flight community, potential applicants to the Squadron, and future members the fundamentals of how our how our little virtual Squadron will operate. To be sure, I am still the only member of the Squadron (looking for more!), so some of the descriptions may sound grandiose. That's not the intention; rather, the purpose is to lay out a vision to attract like-minded people and "grow into" the role sketched out for the group.

Though I am a relative newcomer to the community (but have been active with all kinds of flight sims since 2012), I hope you will indulge me and take a look at our new Pilot's Handbook. I think that even veteran Rise of Flight community members may find there some intriguing ideas, particularly in Section 2.3 where I lay out two ideas conceptualized specifically for WWI flight sims: "WURD" (Wheels Up Radio Discipline) and the "LASER" loop (Look-Access-Support-Engage-Repeat), a play on the famous OODA loop concept. Enjoy, and please let me know on this forum or on Discord if you would like to know more or are interested in joining No 56 Sqn.

Attached File  Pilot's-Handbook-Screenshot-Thumbnail-2018_04_01.jpg   24.22KB   0 downloads

(Click the image to access PDF)

S!

S!

Alex "56Sqn_Badger"

CO, No 56 (V) Sqn

#32 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger

Posted 03 February 2019 - 20:27

Yesterday marked the 100th anniversary of the end of service for No 56 Sqn in World War I. On February 2nd, 1919, the squadron received orders to be reduced to cadre status. During a year and a half of combat flying in 1917-18, No 56 Sqn became one of the most distinguished fighter squadrons in the RAF.

If anyone likes to fly the SE5a in Rise of Flight and would like to wing up with me sometime, let me know. I fly on Thursday evenings (i.e. the weekly fly-in). I'm quite rusty, having been away from the sim for some months. I'm glad to be back and am also looking forward to trying Flying Circus soon.

S!

Alex "56Sqn_Badger"

CO, No 56 (V) Sqn

#33 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 04 February 2019 - 00:17

Welcome back! We need more allied pilots for the fight!

4092328.jpg

#34 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:54

Welcome back Sir! It will be a pleasure to see your Se5as in the skies again! :icon_e_salute:

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#35 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:20

Se5as flying out would be great to see. Love to wing up with you in our Spads. Boche beware!

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

Major Keith 'Grid' Caldwell, 74 Sq

#36 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 08 February 2019 - 16:08

How does your award system work?

4092328.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users