Trackir 5 question

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 October 2016 - 15:46

Chaps,

Got trackir 5 yesterday and have been fiddling with since then. I found the Tir profile from Reqiuem and tried to insert that in my files. (Why bother trying to do it yourself if someone else allready did the effort)

But....somehow my Trackir program does not see or recognise the file. Allthough it is in the profile list, when i run the program it is not in it.

I used 7-zip and ran it as administrator and i did what i wanted but trackir refuses to see it. Is there maybe another spot where to put them?

I have the latest version of trackir 5 downloaded, maybe i have to use an older version?

#2 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:02

I'm not at my desktop but check in the users map.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#3 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:58

thanx dutch, i will

edit: it has nu users map, only profiles....

trackir stopped working completele, had to delete it, repair registry, new download and after 3 hours of mindbreaking why the hell it wouldnt work again i finally have it back :icon_e_sad:

#4 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 16 October 2016 - 18:50

I don't know why your insertion of the Requiem profile is not recognized.  However, you're going to have to tweak it anyway to your personal preferences.  So start with the default profile and make small adjustments.  You'll want a small deadzone of about 2 or 3 degrees.  That's going to be very important as you are pulling in on a target and then want your sight to be roughly centered as the target comes in front of the aircraft.  A pause and recenter button mapped to your joystick, which you will learn to use without conscious thought, are almost mandatory.  The more you fidget around in your seat, the more likely you'll be off, or run up against the angular limits of the TrackIR, and have to recenter, so make sure that your monitor is well within range of your aging eyes, that your chair is the right height, rudder pedals are comfortable, and that you can generally remain stationary and upright.  It takes a while to get used to the TrackIR.

#5 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 16 October 2016 - 21:13

I recommend a deadzone in the centre, not sure what this pause and re-center business is about. I say you don't need any extra commands, that's the point of having tracking. The deadzone will help you keep looking square down the sights when you need to, and I'd recommend speeding the movement up a bit so you don't have to move your head so far.

I don't like the software much, have had profile issues and it never seems to save some of the changes I make, until you've tried 5 or 6 times.

You'll have it how you want soon enough !

:icon_e_salute:

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#6 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 16 October 2016 - 21:25

I recommend a deadzone in the centre, not sure what this pause and re-center business is about. I say you don't need any extra commands, that's the point of having tracking. The deadzone will help you keep looking square down the sights when you

You don't have even a re-center button?  I'm constantly looking forward, re-adopting a good posture, and recentering along the guns.  Body position changes, chair position changes, the position of the baseball cap on your head changes.  I utilize this function so frequently that my button is on the verge of failing. I guess each person has a different setup, but I find that there are enough positional changes over time that I can't imagine not being able to re-adjust on the fly.  Due to the angular restrictions of the TrackIR, I find this especially necessary when I want to lift myself up and peer over the edge of the cockpit, or duck down low.  Maybe the use of collimated sights can allow for a little more wiggle room for your body, since your "head" does not need to be perfectly aligned with front/rear sights, but I don't use them.  Anyway, Marx should be aware of these options. 

#7 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 16 October 2016 - 23:24

I do have 'save center snap' I think it is, mapped to a button. But once I've set it for the plane I don't need to change it again.

I re-center the Track IR every now and again, I guess that does effectively the same thing !

The speed on mine is currently 1.5 which keeps the movement easily within the parameters.

#8 O_Rod

O_Rod
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:15

I had similar issues with profile adding. It depends on what your OS is as to where you put it.

Vitae elit Brevior

#9 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:39

Hey Ice... can you post your profile / settings? Maybe I can channel some Icicles through it :icon_mad: . No, seriously, I'd like to see what you're set-up is (unless it's need to know classified). I do have a center button mapped but am confused why a "pause" is used.  

#10 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:44

Vonrd, I would be glad to give you my settings...but it's going to be just a little while.  As I posted on the JG1 FiF forum, my cpu finally fried, and won't boot, so I don't have access to the TrackIR profiles at the moment.  Hopefully, I'll be back in action soon.  I sure hope I don't run into a problem retrieving those configurations, and all the gazillions of other configuration files that exist on that machine.

As far as 'pause' button goes, if I think about it, I really don't use it that much for ROF, because it doesn't have a clickable cockpit.  In the world of FSX/P3D or DCS, if, say, you have to crane your neck to look an overhead panel, and linger there as you click several virtual switches with the mouse, I found it was sometimes easier to briefly pause the TrackIR.  I also used to re-center, and then immediately pause the TrackIR to lock my head in place during landing approaches, but I stopped doing that when I got ROF.  So I guess the 'pause' isn't really important for ROF (or BoX).

#11 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:29

Thanx for the info guys

Going to work on it later today

#12 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 17 October 2016 - 14:38

Marxy - I should have mentioned I use the 3 pointed reflector thingy !

Good luck..

ZF.

#13 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 October 2016 - 17:02

Marxy - I should have mentioned I use the 3 pointed reflector thingy !

Good luck..

ZF.

me too :icon_e_salute:

#14 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:16

Vonrd, I would be glad to give you my settings...but it's going to be just a little while.  As I posted on the JG1 FiF forum, my cpu finally fried, and won't boot, so I don't have access to the TrackIR profiles at the moment.  Hopefully, I'll be back in action soon.  I sure hope I don't run into a problem retrieving those configurations, and all the gazillions of other configuration files that exist on that machine.

As far as 'pause' button goes, if I think about it, I really don't use it that much for ROF, because it doesn't have a clickable cockpit.  In the world of FSX/P3D or DCS, if, say, you have to crane your neck to look an overhead panel, and linger there as you click several virtual switches with the mouse, I found it was sometimes easier to briefly pause the TrackIR.  I also used to re-center, and then immediately pause the TrackIR to lock my head in place during landing approaches, but I stopped doing that when I got ROF.  So I guess the 'pause' isn't really important for ROF (or BoX).

Ice, yeah, I saw that you were having hardware probs... sorry to hear and hope you get back in action soon. (but not *too* soon...probably a good thing for Red team in FIF ...  :P ).

I also use the pause in DCS. It's much better than trying to hold your head absolutely still while trying to mouse the buttons. I agree that it's not much use in ROF. I also have re-center mapped to a pinkie switch on my stick and use it almost as much as the reload button. 

#15 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 October 2016 - 15:01

@ice,

Thanx for the suggestion to put a deadzone in the views.....did wonders for me :icon_e_salute:

Got most of the views set up now, only a bit of trouble getting the view "over the cockpit edge" to look down for navigation and zoom view not the way i would like it.

If and when you got your pc sorted out would you be so kind and pm me some screen pictures of your profile settings? Inserting a complete file just isn't working..

(maybe we finaly get to see why he's so damn good :icon_e_biggrin: )

#16 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 03 November 2016 - 18:11

I have a belated answer as to why the Requim TrackIR profile you downloaded didn't show up.  Probably too late to help you now, but I'm configuring new rig right now, and was trying to copy my old profiles over to a new installation, and appear to have run into the same problem that you did.

You were putting it in the program files(x86)/NaturalPoint/TrackIR5/Profiles directory, weren't you?  That's indeed where it reads them for Win 7 and prior.  But in Win 10, you put them in C:/Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/NaturalPoint/TrackIR 5/Profiles

#17 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 November 2016 - 19:32

I have win 10 and used that directory but nope...they don't show up

But i'll give it another go. Thanx

#18 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 03 November 2016 - 20:20

Maybe the profile is made with an older vesion of the TrackIR software? I believe I've read that older profiles may be not compatible with newer releases of the Software. Propably there is a trick to make them work. Never bothered to find out because I still use a old version of the Software,which is Version 5.1 .

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#19 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 04 November 2016 - 14:35

I tried that Pirato and downloaded an older version but it didnt work and screwed up everything. Took me 2 days to get it working again....

#20 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 November 2016 - 18:57

I recommend a deadzone in the centre, not sure what this pause and re-center business is about. I say you don't need any extra commands, that's the point of having tracking. The deadzone will help you keep looking square down the sights when you need to, and I'd recommend speeding the movement up a bit so you don't have to move your head so far.

I don't like the software much, have had profile issues and it never seems to save some of the changes I make, until you've tried 5 or 6 times.

You'll have it how you want soon enough !

:icon_e_salute:

Good Lord I am glad to read this!    I am a total newb to flight sims....trying to learn Tir5, re-learn my old stick I barely used a few years back when I first tried RoF and of course I had to get Pro Peds as well...   and then buy about 2 dozen aircraft!  lol!

My damn'd Track IR is a love hate for sure.  I love it period.  Don't think I *could* play this game without it, but it always seems to lose center.  Every flight.  No doubt it is me...  I just need to nail down what the hell I am doing wrong....as I figure out why my peddles are reversed (sometimes?) ... and let me tell you it is damn tough learning how to fly a new plane when after the second crash you realize the damned rudder is backwards!  lol.

NOW I know why pilots ALWAYS did a preflight and checked rudder and flaps!  I do so myself now every time too!  lol.  

I had not tried the "dead zone".  I will tonight.  I did figure out on my 2nd flight I had to speed it up a bit or I could not even see behind myself.  Looking "up" is still an issue sometimes, and I think it is the height of my camera vs where I sit...still working that out.

Lots of many different things to learn, all at once for an old 'f like me...  TrackIR, peddles, stick, many aircraft and of course the actual missions and game itself!  If it were not such fun...   :icon_cool:

Scott

#21 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:06

ggrognard.....

I've been using trackir now for several weeks and i love it. Flown more then 5 years without it using fixed view and the hat switch on the stick but this is way better, During the years i fly ROF i tried freetrack several times but never got it working properly and after upgrading my new pc to windows 10 it stopped completely. Somehow freetrack made me get motionsickness from time to time so i hesitated a long time to buy trackir but it was worth it, no sickness (or it must be my own stupidity from time to time :icon_e_biggrin: ) at all anymore, seems it is more stable.

*Try to get the tracking device at the same height as your cap. This way you can look up way better.

*I bought a new stick 3 weeks ago and had to reverse throttle and rudder (and re-save them) to all my planes. Probably you have to do that with your peddles aswell.

*Use a button on your stick to re-center your view and save it in the trackir program, works best for me.

*Like Ice-age told me, get a few degrees of dead zone in your forward view. This works very good and it doesn't move your view when you move your head 3 milimeters :D

#22 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:27

I think it's possible that the motion sickness can get caused by micro-stutters.  With computers as fast as they are these days, it might not be as much of an issue anymore, but when I first got my TrackIR it would compete for processor time, and became jerky, and I would get a headache.  My solution at the time was to boost the process priority of the TrackIR by a notch.  With a newer computer, I've experienced the opposite problem, where my video cards are able to pump out frames at a rate that exceed the refresh rate of my monitors, and this has led to several recent discussions with teammates about the use of V-synch to avoid a rastering effect when you move your head with the TrackIR, which I'm finding is equally stomach-turning.

#23 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:51

V-synch, heard you talking about it yesterday but no idea what it does :huh:

Just looked at the gamestarter and i have it checked on...

I remember getting sick after 20 minutes playing those old first person shooters from years ago, glad that it's over now...

#24 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 November 2016 - 19:38

I think V-Sync is for when you use 2 vid cards. However, I had it on on a previous computer with only 1 card and it helped my frame rates and smoothness. Go figure.

#25 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 06 November 2016 - 20:23

V-Sync synchronizes the refreshrate of theGraphiccard with the refreshrate of your monitor. When you have V-Sync enabled the FPS you can get maximum are not higher than the refreshrate of the monitor,with a 60Hz monitor you can get 60 FPS. However,if you disable V-Sync you can get higher FPS than 60 but you will see screen tearing in fast movements for example.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#26 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 07 November 2016 - 23:05

Not sure I like the Vsync so far.  The sim runs really smooth 90% of the time, but when it gets heavy (like a big furball on one of the winter maps)  causing the sim to slow even slightly below 60 fps, the V-sync will then throttle the whole thing down to nearest multiple, which is 30 fps.  That technically ought to be ok, but the sim appears to get micros-stutters at the transition point.  I guess this is what gamers have been dealing with since the dawn of time, so I guess it's just the tradeoff for the sake of TrackIR fluidity, and getting used to the peculiarities of a new system.

#27 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 November 2016 - 15:50

Hmmm, since i have my new rig (and it's averige in capabllity) i have 0 stutters. 

Maybe i'm looking too much at a small screen to even notice :D

thanx for explaining V-synch!

#28 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 15 November 2016 - 14:36

When I got TiR I just plugged it in, set the speed as per Reqs instruction, and went from there, never installed any profiles! Do they make a difference?

:icon_e_salute:  :icon_e_salute:

#29 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 18 November 2016 - 23:04

You only need a profile if you want to "tune" the way TIR responds to your head movements or key inputs. I have different profiles for every type of game I play, but that's me.

#30 US103_Doolittle

US103_Doolittle
  • LocationORD

Posted 21 March 2019 - 18:15

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users