Photo
- - - - -

Gravity tanks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 borntoolate

borntoolate

Posted 01 December 2009 - 19:51

I would like to have the ability to switch fuel feed over to an aircrafts' gravity tank when necessary; particularly in the Sopwith Camel, which had the real life fault of the pressure gauge often blowing in high speed dives…requiring the pilot to switch over to the gravity tank in order to get home.
When my main fuel tank is holed in combat, I really want that gravity tank!

"We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight." Wilfrid May

#2 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 01 December 2009 - 20:01

That is a very interesting adaptation. If it was there it would make for an interesting addition.

#3 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 01 December 2009 - 23:50

Agree with you.
Regards

#4 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 02 December 2009 - 00:27

What is a gravity tank? :|

#5 borntoolate

borntoolate

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:01

What is a gravity tank? :|

Using the Sopwith Camel as an example, again ….
Notice the two gas caps behind the cockpit:
The lower cap, on the right side of the fuselage, is for the main fuel tank –this was pressurized … that small propeller on the strut next to the cockpit operates the pressure pump.
The other gas cap, directly behind the pilot's head, is for the gravity tank – being higher than the main tank, the fuel flows to the engine due to gravity.
In the Spad, the gravity tank is in the center of the upper wing.

Selection of fuel tanks is definitely a feature that we should have some control over.

"We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight." Wilfrid May

#6 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 02 December 2009 - 21:42

Thanks for the info borntoolate. So gravity tanks kept the engines from clunking out in the middle of a fight…sounds important!

#7 borntoolate

borntoolate

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:13

Thanks for the info borntoolate. So gravity tanks kept the engines from clunking out in the middle of a fight…sounds important!

Well, yes, provided that the gravity tank wasn't shot full of holes too!
The pressure pump is the most efficient way of getting the fuel to an engine; gravity tanks were the back-up, in case pressure was lost in the main tank.
Being dependant on gravity for proper fuel flow, they were not of much use in a fight, only as a means of withdrawing to safety … also they had far less capacity than the main tank.

#8 Gimpy117

Gimpy117

Posted 03 December 2009 - 19:05

i would like to see more control over minor thing like fuel etc. so i agree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users