New Flyers and Friends servers

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Hubbs

Hubbs
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 15 February 2016 - 22:49

Hello =NFF= Companions & Guests,
    A suggestion was made to change the settings on one of our Servers.  An observer mentioned that he had, "Seen both Servers offering the same maps at the same time.  I'm confused?  WHY do you guys do that?"
    He makes a good point.
    Soooo - On Server I the regular expectations of Icons, navigation, distant points, etc are no longer available.  There's a lot more but, having not gone there, I can't identify them.  Go to settings and you'll see the differences. 
    I think this is a good idea as a 'TEST.'
    If any one of you guys were to design a new Map, (or two),  with exciting challenges it would be wonderful.  We would probably not be doing this.
    Perhaps you can detect the gauntlet that I'm throwing out.  I know that HillBilly and Von have created great maps in the past.  Just ask all the pilots who enjoy them.
    How about some of you other creative pilots making a try at it.  You'd almost certainly get some help and guidance from both of them!  Nothing ventured - nothing gained. 
    I hoping someone will put some chat on this in the RoF Forum.  But, there's so many new pilots that don't have a clue about that Forum, flying, or US!  I'm afraid we're going to confuse a lot of people.  Especially ME!!
    Any ideas you have are sincerely welcome.  This may be a time for some changes and all ideas are important.
    Thanks for your patience Gentlemen.  Spread the word as best you can.
    Take care friends.
    Phil =NFF=Patriarch

#2 Ceowulf

Ceowulf
  • LocationA long way from Tipperary

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:29

Hi Patriarch,

If I could make one very minor suggestion, perhaps there is a way to have in the mission description instructions for how to start an engine on a plane with mixture control.  It seems like each of us has answered the question 50 times.  "How start plane?  Press E not work."  I know they could read the manual, but maybe it would be faster for them and us if they could see it from within the server. 

Either way, thanks again for the friendly skies!

S!

Ceowulf

#3 Hubbs

Hubbs
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 18 February 2016 - 21:51

Ceowulf

I was hoping Patriarch would answer your question you know as well as I do all they need to do is go into the options menue and look at engine controls

wether it is an axsiuos thing to get into the electronic sky or wether it is being lazy I don't know. Just the other day a fellow ask 3 or 4 times how to start an

engine I put in the chat window the command not once but 6 or 7 times he still could not figure it out nor did he acknowledge my chat.

#4 Hubbs

Hubbs
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 18 February 2016 - 22:05

Server 1 is back to the way it was prior to full realism for one good reason we are trying to cator to the new guy not the experts although all pilots are welcome come in and join the fun.

=NFF=Crash

#5 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 18 February 2016 - 23:12

Ceowulf,

Thank you for the suggestion re: 'How do I start my engine.' 

=NFF= has been around now for three years.  Do you have any idea how many times that question has been asked and ANSWERED!

I'll bet half of our NFF companions have addressed that issue more than ten times.  AND - Those are only the times that I've been aware of it.  (I'm sure there's been other occasions when the response has not been quite so pleasant i.e RTFM ! 

It's interesting to reflect that, "In the Beginning" of the manual there are clear instructions on engine maintenance and starting.  Our friendly group could spend half their time addressing questions like this and many others.

What really happens is that they probably do spend a lot of their time and are happy to do that.  After awhile it can get under one's skin.  If a new pilot can't take the time to open the FIRST FEW PAGES of the manual - how can he/she possibly get to understand and fathom the depth of RoF?  Starting an engine, as I'm sure you know, is just the very beginning of this complex SIMM. 

All of us go out of our way to make RoF a fun and rewarding place to fly, chat, learn, and compete.  All we ask is that our newer guests do some basic learning before they ask for someone to give up their flying time to help them.  Which, of course. they'll do. 

Thank you very sincerely for your observations and suggestions.  We are always looking for ways to improve and learn ourselves.

Sincerely,

Philemmett

(=NFF=Patriarch)

#6 Sugarbear

Sugarbear

Posted 19 February 2016 - 00:52

Might I just add Phil that TeamSpeak is a good learning tool also. Can't really teach or train on chat window can we. If all else fails maybe they can contact Luke. He wrote the book after all. Bear

#7 Ceowulf

Ceowulf

Posted 08 March 2016 - 16:13

Hi again Patriarch and NFF team,
I had one other idea which may or may not fit in with what NFF is doing. What if one of the servers used statistics and the other didn't? I for one would enjoy stats just to keep track of how I'm doing over time. Just a thought. Thanks either way.

Ceowulf <><

#8 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 08 May 2016 - 21:58

Ceowulf,

We've never felt that keeping statistics would do anything but promote more nasty behavior than we already see. 

As you know, at the end of each Map segment, there is a brief review of each players accomplishments.  You're probably also aware that these numbers rarely reflect the accurate performances.  It's a good reference and that's all.

Unless there's some way to keep the 'Stat XXX's' out of our =NFF=Servers, I'm afraid we'll remain a 'playground' and not a real War Zone.

Please keep suggesting improvements and changes.  If we can comply we will!

Thank you again Sir.

Philemmett

(=NFF=Patriarch)

#9 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 08 May 2016 - 23:00

We will discuss about this.

#10 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:27

I've removed some gibberish (and posts made in reaction to gibberish that would be re-responded to if I left them hanging). If NFF crew wants some of the posts restored, please let me know which ones  :icon_e_salute: .

Forum moderator.

Adjutant, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

"The only thing "full real" around here is the drama. So play in whichever way keeps you online for us to shoot at."(Hrafn_Kolbrandr)

#11 Ceowulf

Ceowulf

Posted 09 May 2016 - 14:33

Hi Patriarch and NFF team,

I totally get it on not having stats - the last month has made me see that light.  I do have a couple other ideas for consideration if you'd like.

The first is, I wonder if this thread should be pinned up in "Mission Makers and Servers" where Aces Falling, New Wings, etc. are.  NFF has a lot of traffic these days.  Just one thought.

The second is about the two servers.  What if one was meant to be for the benefit of new players.  I notice that some nights, whichever server gets populated attracts a lot of veteran and even some ace pilots.  That's great for an average guy like me because I learn by getting beat up.  It's not so great for the guys taking their first few rides on MP and I'm under the impression that those guys are a high priority to the NFF crew.

Could one server be intended to help those new guys more?  I don't have the whole idea worked out but what if it was an honor system where better pilots need to fly worse planes when they go on the rookie server.  Even if it worked half way, it might give newer pilots a somewhat better place to learn.  

For myself, I would be happy to fly there in a way worse plane and also fly less aggressively.  I'm always sorry when I see the new pilots quitting after getting smoked five times in four minutes - sometimes by me by accident.  

I'm sure some tricky guys would take advantage but it would become obvious and if one of the admins were around, they could give them the boot.  "Go fly NFF veteran server or get banned."  

ROF MP is a pretty hard scene to break into, I think.  New guys are up against many 5+ year vets with hundreds or thousands of hours of dogfighting.  I wonder how many potential players we have lost by not really having a shallow end of the pool.  I know there's basic training but a lot of guys want a place to do the real thing at their level.  When I first started MP I had to power though quite a few nights of all deaths and no kills.  It was worth it but not everyone is willing to do that, I think.  

Just an idea.  Thanks either way.

S!

Ceowulf<><  

#12 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 09 May 2016 - 14:51

I think one of the problems is the new guys either don't speak English or just don't speak (with the exception of moro hurhump), it might be a better option if any new guys coming on might add a _L prefix to there name giving the more experienced chaps a notice of there skill, yes you will still get the desperate Dans  who do anything for a kill but the more honourable amongst us will give them quarter, but in saying that you will also have to allow when these new pilots move in for the kill when a so called ace is dicing with another ace, either ace will try to remove them from the equation to lessen the odds of defeat. 

#13 =CFC=Conky

=CFC=Conky
  • LocationWhistler, BC

Posted 09 May 2016 - 18:47

Hello all,

I can't seem to join this server because it shows up as locked. 

Do I need a secret handshake?  ;)

Good hunting,

=CFC=Conky

#14 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 09 May 2016 - 19:42

Hello all,

I can't seem to join this server because it shows up as locked. 

Do I need a secret handshake?  ;)

Good hunting,

=CFC=Conky

If you mean the circle with the slanted line, it is not a lock.

Attached File  server.jpg   96.59KB   2 downloads

You have to be quick 

#15 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 09 May 2016 - 21:34

Welcome in :icon_e_salute:

#16 =CFC=Conky

=CFC=Conky
  • LocationWhistler, BC

Posted 09 May 2016 - 22:06

If you mean the circle with the slanted line, it is not a lock.

attachicon.gifserver.jpg

Ok then, standby for some fresh meat/cannon fodder/fng/*insert your favourite term for newbie here* !  :P

#17 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:16

Getting rid of stats is a bold move, and one that fits well the mood of icons-on servers :icon_e_salute: . 

I wonder if this thread should be pinned up in "Mission Makers and Servers" where Aces Falling, New Wings, etc. are.  NFF has a lot of traffic these days.  Just one thought.

I agree that's where this thread should be :) - NFF are under-exposed compared to other server operators (or I've been living under a rock) and I think they should have a permanent front window on this forum. I'll move and pin this thread as soon as I get green light from NFF - it's your call. I know you prefer to just avoid these boards, but I think we can make it work.

(offtopic: I don't believe that starter owns his thread and decides what's on topic and what isn't, and I believe this boards are neutral ground - rather than no mans land - for many many enemities within the community. But I think threads by server operators are special case. These guys are as ivolved in keeping RoF alive as anyone can be these days, and their deserve to run these feedback threads without interruptions. So I expect they will be shown extra respect as the hosts in threads dedicated to their own servers, and respect their moral right to say how they want me to police their feedback space.)

Forum moderator.

Adjutant, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

"The only thing "full real" around here is the drama. So play in whichever way keeps you online for us to shoot at."(Hrafn_Kolbrandr)

#18 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:39

Ok!

#19 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 10 May 2016 - 13:22

Ok! But don't forget our slogan :icon_e_wink:
popcorn2-300.jpg
Approved by Agent.

Demon what are you doing with my avatar?? ;)

You have to be quick 

#20 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 10 May 2016 - 16:36

Attached File  Popcorn.jpg   89.98KB   0 downloads  :icon_e_wink:

Sorry About That                                                           

#21 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 14 May 2016 - 00:51

Trupabo and CeoWulf,

Please don't misunderstand my lack of replies as being ignorant of your suggestions.  I rarely go to this RoF Forum.  In the past it has represented nothing but another 'Combat Zone' in itself.

Your ideas are well thought out and have been chatted about among several =NFF= companions.  Currently the 'Jury' is still out. 

You must understand that the '=' sign in front of our ID's indicates that every member of the team has equal say.  I'm referred to as the 'Patriarch' because it was Agent86, HillBilly, and myself who initiated it way back when.  I DO NOT condone nor MAKE many decisions on much of the what goes on.

My participation is to make sure all the bills are paid and that both Servers and TeamSpeak function well with the direct management by our 'Friend.' 

If any =NFF= member has creative or corrective ideas, they are discussed and acted upon.  

If a unique 'Thread' shows up in the RoF Forum I'll be sure to read and enjoy it.  If anything derogatory, or unfounded critiques appear in it regarding =NFF=, I'll be the FIRST guy to make sure it gets shut down.  (I don't know how to do that but I'll sure find out).

For the time being I assume that all will work out. 

Separating the Servers for 'Novice' and 'Accomplished' pilots is currently impractical.  Though we have many Maps that change every 90 minutes, they overlap in content.  None of them have statistics other than at mission end.  Those are fleeting and very inaccurate. 

If there is a realistic way to separate them for different skill levels, no-one, other than you, has brought that suggestion up for discussion that I've seen. 

=NFF=Demon has kept me looking into this Forum for the time being. 

If there's further movement on this, I'm sure he'll make me aware of it. 

Until them, thank you both for all that you've offered.  It is sincerely appreciated.

Philemmett,

(=NFF=Patriarch)

#22 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 15 May 2016 - 00:56

Gentlemen,

I guess it's obvious that I've been out in 'Left Field' not understanding the simplicity of having a 'Thread' in the RoF Forum.  I was under the impression that it was a very separate area and dedicated to =NFF= alone. 

Wrong!

I've been enlightened and educated at the same time.  Having re-read all the comments to-date, I feel like I've been wasting all of your time's repeating sentiments that have been discussed on many occasions. 

It's a function of not spending enough time in the RoF Forum and good ole-fashion ignorance. 

A friend had to 'blind-slap' me to wake me up.

I'll keep a closer eye on things associated with our =NFF=Servers and friends in this Forum from now on.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

PhilEmmett,

(=NFF=Patriarch)

#23 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:50

The NFF servers

#24 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 19 July 2016 - 22:58

Our policy is not to banish pilots, help us to reach our dream.

Just as a matter of interest, what is your dream? (Please respond in words if you can manage it.)

ARTY EFFEM

#25 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 19 July 2016 - 23:23

#26 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 20 July 2016 - 13:38

(Please respond in words if you can manage it.)

Wow dude, are you making fun of Demon?  His real name is Harpo Marx. :P  ;)

You have to be quick 

#27 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 20 July 2016 - 16:15

On Server I the regular expectations of Icons, navigation, distant points, etc are no longer available.  There's a lot more but, having not gone there, I can't identify them.  Go to settings and you'll see the differences. 

So near, yet so far.

ARTY EFFEM

#28 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 20 July 2016 - 17:41

So near, yet so far.

Attached File  300px-Trolling_drawing.jpg   14.48KB   1 downloads

I hope you catch something.

You have to be quick 

#29 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 28 September 2016 - 20:17

To: =NFF= 'Guests.'

Gentlemen,

The name, 'New Fliers and Friends,' on our two Servers implies just that.  Since our inception, over four years ago, it was designed as a place to learn, laugh, and to compete.  The 'Friends and New Flyers' means just that.   

Skilled pilots are never frowned upon as long as they follow the basic rules of civility and maturity.

Over the last few months, it's become obvious that we've been invaded by an entirely different kind of individuals.  The language in 'Chat,' the team killing, shoulder shooting, bombing runways and airfields, and killing already downed pilots have become a rule of thumb.  In the past, these were occasional infractions.  Now they are regular occurrences.

Wherever you've come from, whatever the cause of your migration to =NFF=, you need to be aware of the changes we're implementing.  Things are not going to be 'business as usual.' 

Each member of our small group has been given the power to 'kick' and 'ban' anyone they choose.  If you need to know why you're being eliminated from our Servers, you're going to be too late. 

We suggest you act accordingly i.e. stop using immature language, suggestive names, and behaving like Yahoos.  Activity like that is going to be a thing of the past.  

None of us are prudes, judges, or jurists.  All we're expecting is the fun, civil place to fly that we started.

If you have personal opinions regarding this - please use a Private Email to me.

We are always open to any and all suggestions for our improvement.

Take care and enjoy our =NFF= Servers.

Very Sincerely,

Philemmett,

(=NFF=Patriarch)

#30 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 28 September 2016 - 21:51

Well said! :icon_e_salute:

#31 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 September 2016 - 21:52

Good move sir! :icon_e_salute:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

fcpq25c.jpg

#32 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:11

Each member of our small group has been given the power to 'kick' and 'ban' anyone they choose.

In the light of a recent, well publicised resignation from your group and the reason for it, this gives rise to an important question: Do they have the right to undermine their colleagues by reversing each other's actions?

ARTY EFFEM

#33 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:19

In the light of a recent, well publicised resignation from your group and the reason for it, this gives rise to an important question: Do they have the right to undermine their colleagues by reversing each other's actions?

Arty you tend to your server and they will tend to theirs.

If you have personal opinions regarding this - please use a Private Email to me

Take heed.

You have to be quick 

#34 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:58

Arty you tend to your server and they will tend to theirs.

Take heed.

I think by now you should know that I have a very low opinion of unnecessary private conversations. When I have a legitimate question of community interest, I will place it where it belongs.

ARTY EFFEM

#35 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:40

I think by now you should know that I have a very low opinion of unnecessary private conversations. When I have a legitimate question of community interest, I will place it where it belongs.

It is none of your business, unless you are the new NFF tag holder.

Do you have a Masters degree in "Scatology"? 

You have to be quick 

#36 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNooooooooo Zeeeeeeeeeeeland.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:52

Dear Phil,

Can we have a terse list of things you are not allowed to do on the =NFF= servers? ( The game things in particular, rather than the behaviour things...)

You mentioned bombing AF's was out.

Is vulching out too? ( I do wait till they are aloft though. ahem. quite.)

Chivalry is in?

( just let them land! It is quite all right to not get the kill, you know that they know that you bested them. )

I must confess I have not made use of your servers very much but I will try to get on more to help make up the numbers.

My warmest regards!

Salute!

plank.

The various nationalities that draw together as one is my thing. We are all. ( I was drunk when I came up with this...)  Salute!

#37 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:55

Arty,

I didn't see anything on the front page of the papers regarding NFF personnel.

Your question is non-important and of no consequence to you.

How we run the NFF server is entirely up to us.

Other servers don't put up with any crap.

Some servers impose collective punishment blanket bans, don't they Arty ?

So put your big spoon down ;)

#38 Ceowulf

Ceowulf

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:49

I really like NFF and part of what I like is the atmosphere of decency.  Glad you guys are working to keep that.  

Thanks,

Ceowulf<><

#39 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:51

It is none of your business, unless you are the new NFF tag holder.

If a server operator chooses to make an announcement in the forum, he should not just expect to be able to run away without responding in the same place.

Some may find it bizarre that you should be trying to defend a group from which you elected to resign.

Do you have a Masters degree in "Scatology"?

If that were true, I would be most grateful to you for the endless torrent of source material that you so generously furnish.

ARTY EFFEM

#40 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:55

How we run the NFF server is entirely up to us.

That is (perhaps regrettably) correct, which is why I felt obliged to point-out what I envisaged as a potentially fatal flaw in the newly-announced policy.

Some servers impose collective punishment blanket bans, don't they Arty ?

Presumably you're alluding to my embarrassment protection system, whereby anyone accidentally connecting with an NFF tag is immediately dismissed, thus preventing them from suffering the crucifying humiliation of exposing themselves in a high-credibility server. If only everyone were so philanthropic.

ARTY EFFEM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users