Aviators of War - a Rise of Flight RPG/MP-Campaign

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#121 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 28 April 2017 - 23:04

Hi Genius,

first, thank you for your input! 

Concerning the mod, yes tomorow I will add a link with the mod as a .zip file .
We can add teamspeak channels as they are needed, no problem.
The current number of channels was just what we think was needed for now, if need arises we will add more channels.

• for the mod: please give us an option to download a version of the mod without .exe
  • for the Teamspeak: could we have two briefing channel by team (if we have two group of one team but not in the same flight) ?
  • to have more flexibility in flight management could you imagine the following things:

1) The commander HQ defines the list of objectives to be achieved during the week "to do - list of objectives" and the conditions to achieve (minimum example x pilots)

2) The commander HQ assigns a certain number / stocks of aircraft with specific series or skins to each subgroup of the squadron (example N62 / etc ...) in order to make each subgroup responsible for the aircraft

3) The leader of the subgroup takes the initiative to realize specific objectives according to the numbers and competence of his pilots

4) The person in charge of the sub-group met on the "to-do list" if the objective is successful and the result is published in the HQ with the names of the pilots, the pilot's status, the aircraft statuses

=>I think with this suggestions:

> he should have more flights in the weeks, pilots are able to make a flight in case of "unexpected" availability

> each subgroup take more care of planes

1)
Yes that is a good idea, having a to-do list would enable people to fly more spontaneously.

2)
Making sub groups in the squadrons with their own planes would add quite a lot of work for the sqdr. leaders.
Everyone who is in a plane is responsible for it anyways.
Also, at least in No.60, each pilot already chose a plane with a certain serial number and we have certein skins, dictated by the server that will automaticaly appear on the planes,
if one has downloaded the official skinpacks.

3)
Again having strict subgroups with their own leaders is a bit distracting, at least for now.
If N62 for example wants to do a task spontaneously the could chose their leader on their own, or even fly without that leader.
So its more flexible and less to manage.

4)
That is avery good idea, if I understand you correctly, if someone succesfully completes a task, there will be a highlight on the british HQ, so every pilot can see what they accomplished.
I think thats a good idea and easy to implement.

• Bring more life to the front:
    • Generate random AI flights in the absence of a pilot in one team (Triggers can add AI flight by counting  number of players, check on Syndicate mission "A day at Front").
    • Add some troups or vehicles movements on ground (maybe is already there because i saw train)
    • Ensure that the area/map of action is not too large

=> In wanting to do some very realistic things, we must not forget that Rise of Flight remains a game and that one must find there its pleasure. If there is no comms (there are no problems there), no flights on the front and no enemy encounter too often, I'm not sure that many will find this pleasure.

We were not looking for the dogfight all the time, but like the 1916 pilots, at each takeoff we hope to find the enemy to face it. Now, when you take off in a server that is known to be empty of humans and AIs, this hope is nil.

I am well aware that you are in the test phase and it is for this reason that I allow myself to make these comments which I hope are the most constructive possible.

Thanks !

Genius

P.S.: Sorry for the google translate

Regarding AI:

One of the most important factors for us was to have no AI planes what so ever and if possible  even no AI gunners for human two-seaters.
The thing with AI is it can just be farmed for kills to easily and it doesnt act like a human at all and therefor takes away any immersion.

I understand that people see the lack of action right now and AI would be the most obvious solution for that.
But remember we are just in a test phase, very few people are active at the moment and our first focus will be to get as many people active as possible.
Right now we have two squadrons on the whole map and of those squadrons only 1/3 ever participated in a mission.
Later on we want to have way more squadrons and also hope to have more people active so there is a lot of room for improvement before we need to think about AI.

As I already mentioned in another thread here, the  area of the map is actually smaller than it looks.
Also we believe that the main problem right now is the activity of pilots and we will try to fix this problem first and if we then see that that isnt enough, we will go further.

As to adding more life to the front, yes certainly.
Right now we just wanted to test how the squadron system works, how we balance supplies and so on.
We already learned a lot about these things.
There already are a lot of ground targets and later on we plan to add a lot more, with randomly generated convoys and troops.

I am well aware that you are in the test phase and it is for this reason that I allow myself to make these comments which I hope are the most constructive possible.

Thanks !

Genius

P.S.: Sorry for the google translate

Thank you very much for your criticism, it is very constructive and we need this to make AoW enjoyable for all of us.

PS:
You asked about pilot log books and everything.
They were planned from the very beginning and they will be subject to test for the next stage, we just dont want to test everything at once.
Here is a sneak peek at a WIP version of the "Pilot desk" with some features removed that arent ready yet. 

https://docs.google....GbYwkGA/pubhtml

Above the desk are a few tabs that lead to additional pages.
The desk has some parts in german, because it is for a german pilot.
For english pilots it will be in english and for french in french.

S

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#122 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 09 May 2017 - 16:41

Hi guys,

the AoW server was offline for 10 days because the provider had troubles of some kind.  :icon_e_sad: 
But now the server is finally back online, so if you want to fly make entrys to the doodle surveys.

S

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#123 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 10 May 2017 - 00:52

Question. How active does one need to be to take part in AOW, at the moment in testing and also once AOW goes live so to speak. I ask as seems interesting, though I've changed to working nights, and that's had an somewhat negative impact on the Arma3 community I'm committed to so much that I've had to go onto their reserves list (although the dates and times are not flexible unlike what this appears to be). So how active does one need to be for this, I can imagine that inactive pilots taking up room in a squadron would make them like the lame duck if that makes sense.

Related to the above, how long are sorties intended to be. The doodle survey you've provided an screenshot upon shows 1 hour slots, and the example showing Pilot 6 being able to fly between 2pm and 3pm and then again later at 6pm to 7pm. Are these the times that they are able to start an sortie then or something, or just an poor example screenshot and pilots just select the hours that they are available to play?

RNAS going to be available? :icon_e_biggrin:

Are planes usable going to be limited by the squadron and date and etc?

Is the map large enough that observers are some use in navigation, they cannot aim the bombs (nor I think handle the actions for bombardment spotting and recon pictures), so unless they can navigate then they are just passengers with nothing to do unless contact is gained?

#124 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 11 May 2017 - 16:42

Hi Oliver,

the minimum participation we would like to see, would be for each pilot to be available for 1-2 missions per week.
By this I mean to make 2 entrys to the doodle surveys per week, that doesnt lead to a mission nessecarily, since at least 2 people need to be available.
However once an entry to the doodle is made it would be unfair for the other pilots if someone wouldnt be there for that mission.
One can of course edit the doodle survey if something changes and there is no need to fill it out for more than 1 or 2 days in advance.

Related to the above, how long are sorties intended to be. The doodle survey you've provided an screenshot upon shows 1 hour slots, and the example showing Pilot 6 being able to fly between 2pm and 3pm and then again later at 6pm to 7pm. Are these the times that they are able to start an sortie then or something, or just an poor example screenshot and pilots just select the hours that they are available to play?

Pilots select how long they are available, for example if someone selects 3-7pm that doesnt mean he has to fly the whole time, it just means he would be available for a mission during that time.
The length of sorties differs, depending on what the goal is, a patrol should not be longer than an hour.

RNAS going to be available? :icon_e_biggrin:

Are planes usable going to be limited by the squadron and date and etc?

Right now we dont intend to make the RNAS available.

The planes will be limited to what the squadrons were equipped with histroicaly.

Is the map large enough that observers are some use in navigation, they cannot aim the bombs (nor I think handle the actions for bombardment spotting and recon pictures), so unless they can navigate then they are just passengers with nothing to do unless contact is gained?

Observers are certainly useful for navigation, apart from that the game unfortunately limits their potential somewhat. :/

S

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#125 J5_Karl_Lopnow

J5_Karl_Lopnow
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 May 2017 - 23:37

Hi, I am trying to download the mod but get this message:

No access

Unfortunately, you are not authorized to access this page.

Thanks,

Loppnow

J5bannercurrent.jpg

‚ÄčNEVER EVER FLY OVER THE TARGET TWICE!

‚ÄčThat is just asking for it!

#126 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 20 May 2017 - 13:30

Hi Karl,

this message appears when you are not logged in on the clansweb homepage.

In other news:

We finaly got a new server for RoF so flying starts again from today!  :)

S

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#127 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 31 August 2017 - 15:29

Ok guys...

Even if you heard not much within tre last weeks (months?)
Aviators of war is not dead...

A handfull of members (and in fact you can count them by using one hand only)
continued working on this project after the fist phase of testing...

The basics are done.
the 'roleplay' part was working all the time and needed only a short test
and some modifications (and I think it will need more during campaign itself)
but that can be done 'on the fly'.

The mission itself needed much more modifications (and is still in progress)
but we plan to make a public test soon
(meaning 'mods off' and no password needed)
to show you the latest stage of development (and test it under real hard conditions)
That is planned for about Sept 7th (maybe I'll set the server online earlier if I finished working faster than assumed)

So the first thing to say is:
Expect no miracles... (in fact if really everything is working without any bugs that would be a miracle)
but expect a mission with the most complex try to generate a 'human like' AI environment
that I've seen during all my investigations...

Already implemented:
Recon Missions
Targets that can only be destroyed after a successfull recon of them
AI flights defending Areas (and their amount will be adjusted by the number of players online for both nations)
Moving ground units (up to now only trains, but more will follow)
Balloons sending alerts AND false alerts (so don't believe everything they flare...)
but they will allways know if there are enemies in their area or not....
Changed frontline and 'no mans land' (but no changes on the map in 'mods off', only visible line)

What you should not expect:
AI flights flying stupidly on a route and being an easy target
Seeing everything on the map (in fact you will see nothing...)
Seeing markers for any object on your screen

What you can expect when this project is going into the final stage:
Playing with 'mods on' only
Having a map without 'no mans land' marked (but front line is shown)
Having mods that make gameplay as realistic as can be done
Having the strict order not to use any ingame or external communication (TS or something like that)
after your plane is airborne. WW1 planes had (with very less exceptions) no radio...
So the only way to communicate is by 'visual' commands...

And finally: You won't care about how many kills your pilot made at that stage.
But you'll take really care about how long he will survive
before you'ld have to create a new pilot and start from the very beginning...

Deci

#128 Genius

Genius

Posted 05 September 2017 - 22:24

OK some french players will try thursday night (from 21h30-22h00 CET).

Salute !

#129 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 06 September 2017 - 14:45

I've just launched the public test server for a sneak preview
after making some final changes to the mission.
All 14 recon missions (7 per team) are working
All 20 defensive AI-flights (10 per team) are set online

but how many of them will spawn is related to the number of players online per team.

No unit/plane is shown on the map.

No marker is shown on the screen.

No simplified instument
No 'easy' flight mode except warmed engine
Intelligent balloons (with the 'human factor' included)
Intelligent AI flights that will not follow a static route, but will try to make your life harder

And then I had a short flight...

It was as hard as it should be (as realistic as possible)

So if now the server is able to handle all I've created
breaking every recommended limit in this mission (and this is my very first mission...)
and using a lot of 'logic' to make the server able to handle it
you'll have a lot of work to do in your plane (as I had a lot of work to do with the editor)
but you'll also have a lot of fun (I had it...)

Deci

PS:

Maybe I'll add a 'free' plane for every nation.
Right now I use the historical planeset that is used in the campaign, too...

#130 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 07 September 2017 - 15:08

Ok, to be a bit more precise in 'breaking every recommended limit'...

Here is the 'MissionIntegrityErrors.txt' from the mission we use right now for the test
Max airfields with entity number exceeded! max: 8, actual: 25
Max flags with entity number exceeded! max: 8, actual: 25
Max vehicles with entity number exceeded! max: 40, actual: 311
Max planes with entity number exceeded! max: 20, actual: 80
Max total entity number exceeded! max: 80, actual: 474
Max total Complex Triggers number exceeded! max: 10, actual: 272

So you see, I've really broken every limit (and not only a bit...)

Deci

#131 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 07 September 2017 - 22:42

Hi! Did a test flight yesterday. I noticed the balloons on my (german) side fired flares on 3 occasions when I approached. Saw no enemy planes. Does that account for the human factor in failing to recognize me as a friend? If so, I'd say it's happening maybe a tad too much.

Of course I may not have noticed some clever AI in the neighborhood, but I don't think so.

#132 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:18

Ok, maybe I'll set the times between 2 possible false alerts higher

ore reduce the possibility itself or both...

Deci

#133 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 08 September 2017 - 15:02

Hi J2_Bidu

Thanks for your suggestion...

Changed some settings for the balloons...

Percentage to get an 'unexperianced' crew (-> false alerts) 50% on balloon spawn (unchanged)

Percentage for false alerts:

-> going down 10% (executed first, was 50%)
-> false spotting 25% (executed last, was 50%)

every executed action deactivates the other one

The delay before trying the first false alert after spawning
and the delay until the next try is unchanged (randomly between 5 and 17 minutes)

Deci

PS: And the 'false alerts' do not mean that a 'friendly' plane was identified as 'enemy'
They are activated randomly, even if there is no plane at all in the detection range.
So flares from a ballon can tell everything...

either the truth (enemy in range) or unexperianced/tired crew spotting fly-shit on their glasses...

#134 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 08 September 2017 - 15:39

Seems like a reasonable change. Does this also mean it may not flare when an enemy aircraft is actually present?

S!

#135 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 08 September 2017 - 16:53

same logic is implemented, but in another sub-action with another possibility percantage

#136 Genius

Genius

Posted 30 September 2017 - 14:32

Thanks to all the participant on last thursday !  :icon_e_salute:

Server can load 10 players without crash (it's a VPS).

Need some improvements to correct some bugs (already corrected by Deciman, S!).

Genius

#137 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 30 September 2017 - 16:57

Ok, after fixing the 'freeze' bug
(recon script now works as it should, but next idea to implement is allready in my mind)

and getting some 'colors' to the frontline (marking 'active' area)
now I need to figure out
how many players the server can host without crashing...

I know that my mission breaks realy _every_ rule in using 'recommended' recources.
Some (or most?) of them by factor 10...

I also know that I use a very complicated logic
- to make the mission use less recources (not activating everything)
- to make the AI more 'human'

- to make a balance between 'is possible' and 'is wanted'

But I still do not know where the 'real' limit is....

And I also do not know (except some things like creating new flash scripts without having the sources)

where my own limits are (and I'm NO programmer by profession)...

Up to now whenever I thought I've reached it I've found a solution
and met the next 'personal' limit to break...

Deci

#138 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 05 November 2017 - 14:25

S!

AoW is prepared for a reboot...

The preparations are done.
The mission has got new features and objectives.

3 german and 4 allied squadrons are available
(even if I don't think we'll need them all immediately)

German Squads:

AFA 237 (Roland C.IIa, DFW.C.V)

Jasta 2 (Albatros D.II, Halberstadt D.II)

Jasta 3 (Albatros D.II, Fokker E.III, Halberstadt D.II)

Allied Squads:

Escadrille N 3 (Nieuport 11, Nieuport 17, Spad 7.C1)

No 23 Squad (Airco D.H.II, Nieuport 17 Brit)

No 32 Squad (F.E.2b, Sopwith Strutter)

No 60 Squad (Airco D.H.II, Nieuport 17 Brit)

For every Airfield containing the Nieuport 17 (any nation)
the 'free russian' Version is available, too.
But this plane may be removed later...

All formerly team assingments have been removed.
So every player allready registered is now a 'member', only.
You are asked to choose your 'nation' in the new form.

Link to this form (only available for registered members of AoW...)

After assigning the players to their 'nation'
they can create their pilots (or observers)

The first sortie could be in about 2 weeks
(so at about Nov. 20 - 2017)

Deciman

#139 1PL-KJ-1Esk

1PL-KJ-1Esk

Posted 08 November 2017 - 15:47

Sorry but i didn't follow for a long time the form....where can i find the name of the server and also the days and times when it is online...

st. sierz. pil. KJ

2enyjoz.jpg

#140 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 08 November 2017 - 16:58

Sorry but i didn't follow for a long time the form....where can i find the name of the server and also the days and times when it is online...

S!

Just check the homepage.

http://aviatorsofwar.clans.de/

And server will be online for the campaign 24/7.
But only for registered members, as AoW is some kind of 'WW1 Reenactment'

A free 'clans.de' account is needed for registration to the clan.

Deci

#141 1PL-KJ-1Esk

1PL-KJ-1Esk

Posted 08 November 2017 - 18:14

THX i just read all the news in Clans.web.....thx see you in the air

st. sierz. pil. KJ

2enyjoz.jpg

#142 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 26 November 2017 - 14:38

Just updated the FAQ and set it online.

http://aviatorsofwar.clans.de/faq

Deci

#143 Harmer

Harmer
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:43

Having almost stumbled on this thread by playing solo RoF recently (haven't played it for almost two years), and seeing AoW was the only server that showed up, it immediately piqued my interest. Over the last year or so I have been running a small group of Oceania PvE vintage sim pilots (7-10) that have been involved first with Storm of War 4.0 for Cliffs of Dover (which AoW seems a very similar style of server) and due to the demise of that, other Cliffs servers and some of my own DCS Normandy co-op missions on a weekly basis. 

Lately it's been uphill work since:

1. Folks lose interest over time. Nothing you can do about that. 

2. DCS Normandy is not yet developed enough to provide decent a SoW style campaign environment.

3. Cliffs Of Dover has a handful of servers that haven't measured up to SoW (from a purely personal perspective).

4. I don't organize BoX ops simply because I'm not a big enough fan of the Russian campaign. 

I really like the look of AoW and compliment the team behind it. Great work, guys!
However, there are features (that I completely understand the reasoning behind) that I would find hard to 'sell' to the group.

First and foremost, being based in Australia, we are pretty much at odds with European and US time zones. This means that most of the time we are fighting AI. I see that originally you were going to run AoW as PvP, but now have AI included. Nice.

Secondly, being a social lot, we enjoy the banter and serious in game comms via TS. It also makes for good YouTube vids. Is there anyway the two views (historical vs social) can be reconciled? 
If there were little or no players on a 24/7 server then maybe TS could be accommodated? I understand this would open up a can of worms and is not in keeping with your original thoughts. 
Lastly, at least the cost of getting into the current version of RoF is very cheap compared to what's out there, so that's a plus for our guys that haven't played this sim yet, non the less. It will be interesting to see what the 1C/IL2 franchise does with it next year.   

edit: btw Deciman, you can ignore my friend request - I've found you  ;)

Edited by Harmer, 28 November 2017 - 06:49.

#144 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 28 November 2017 - 14:19

S! Harmer

To answer your questions / suggestions...

The different timezones are a problem at this stage
(due to not enough players from 'non european' zones)

but if we get more players with identical timezones (no matter from where)
there would be allways 'player' activity instead of only 'AI' opponents.

The AI was only added to create enemies even if no real ones are online.
And the ammount of AI is reduced when more players are online.
Maybe I'll have to work on the settings for that later, but the basics are done
and I only need to change the settings in that case.

Usage of TS (or other voice communication) is needed for briefing,
debriefing and smalltalk between pilots before takeoff,
and for in flight communication between pilot and gunner sitting in the same plane.
But as the planes in WW1 had no radio there should be no in flight communication
between different planes (even if I know, that we'll never be able to check if everybody obeys this rule)

For just simple dogfighting and talking to friends or teammates at the same time
there are enough other servers (mostly mods off), but that is not what we want.
And even if we are still at the beginning
(and had a lot of problems with server and mission in our first alpha tesing)
I think there are enough players who also want to try

something 'different' from only dogfighting.

And for the campaign we try to set up there is only one way...
You are interested in something like that, than you'll give it a try.
And afterwards there are 2 possibilities:

Either you like it, stay and see how far you can make it
or you know 'thats not my kind of business' and leave.

Deci

edit: I'm looking forward to the rebith of RoF (FC1 unter IL2).

Sounds promising but as it will still take a while I just lean back and wait...

#145 Harmer

Harmer

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:03

It's been so long since I've played RoF that I didn't realize that having mods selected only brought up modded servers. With it switched off, of course all the other servers came up (duh!).
I'll still be interested to see the development of AoW, but at least will have some servers for us to fly on until then.

#146 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:51

Hi Harmer,
There are a small number of us ROF players online from the apac region who, as you say, miss out on the larger organised events. With FC1 that number should grow.

I also liked the look of AoW and thought it might be a good option for us. So do post if you plan to pursue it, or indeed if your group are organising any online fly-ins with apac-friendly timing.

Note also the separate thread on a US103rd/JG1 flyin. It starts at 8pm Thursday ET in the US which I think is around 11am/midday Fridays, Aus Eastern time, so timing might work for some :)

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

Major Keith 'Grid' Caldwell, 74 Sq

#147 Harmer

Harmer

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:05

G'day paullmf2- nice to hear from you.

I will certainly contact you re AoW. I have applied to join.

For the short term, our ops are on Tuesday evenings @ 8.15 EST and have been amended to rotate between Cliffs / DCS and RoF on a 3 weekly cycle. 

Since we are all ASOR & ASOR Discord members (http://asor.com.au/) anyone can contact us (our main ops are Arma 3 on Sunday nights) on our TS or Discord channel. 

#148 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 03 December 2017 - 13:56

Just sent my character submission form. Hoping to fly soon :)

#149 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 11 February 2018 - 15:49

S!

Bad news...

This project is dead.

Bluhm and me put a lot of time, work and money into it on
creating the environment, hosting the server and working on the basics for roleplay
with a handfull of people supporting us for a very long time.

But without enough active players it really made no sense to continue.
The contract for the server was terminated and the servers are shut down now.

Thanks to all players who helped us!

Whenever someone sees a way to  get something like that we tried to initiate really living again
let me know...

Deci

#150 J2_Wulfe

J2_Wulfe

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:29

Awful news! This sounded like it would have been a great project...

4WPquDr.png

#151 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:24

It would have been very successful back in 2010, 11 and 12 when the player base was still large and 777 was still developing the sim.
Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#152 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:09

Deciman, all your work may suit Flting Circus. We may have enough player activity then.

But I think basically we had a communications problem. Hard to get a small number of people synchronised.

#153 etzel

etzel

Posted 13 February 2018 - 20:46

The idea was great for sure, simply the niche of RoF is too small for such a Project (at least it became too small). 

As People wrote: Maybe in FC some one will pick up that concept!

#154 Stachl

Stachl

Posted 17 February 2018 - 00:38

It would have been very successful back in 2010, 11 and 12 when the player base was still large and 777 was still developing the sim.

I could be wrong, but  I don't think even in ROF's beginning years there were that many people who would of been interested in trying to simulate World War I air combat to this degree, at least I didn't meet many.  The 'fog of war' was not a popular concept back then either.  Anyway, thanks very much for trying Deciman and best of luck to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users