Aviators of War - a Rise of Flight RPG/MP-Campaign

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#1 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 19 September 2016 - 14:52

logo_1448112426_cp.png

Greetings aviators,

I'm happy to announce that the AoW format, which runs successfully for 4 years in War Thunder, will be brought over to Rise of Flight.

Of course it will be Refined and tweaked where necessary.

The people currently working on it are Bluhm and a few people from my Clan.

Currently we are in a beta phase and are looking for people who can help us with historical knowledge, testing missions and game concepts.

For people who don’t know what AoW is:

"Aviators of War - Birth of Aerial Warfare" is a pure multiplayer campaign set on the western front during WW1.

It includes RPG elements for example:

-The campaign will be progressing in time and so the planes available will also change.

-promotions

-tracking of statistics/rankings

-Wounding in action or captivity can end a pilot's career.

-permanent death of a pilot

Also we aim to simulate real life circumstances as closely as possible:

-formation flying

-absence of radios

-realistic missions (not all missions will result in contact with enemies)

-consistent plane stocks for squadrons with supply only coming in realistic quantities.

Here is a link to the homepage of AoW.

http://aviatorsofwar.clans.de/home

The homepage is still under construction, but forums are functional.

What is required to be a beta tester:

-Joystick

-Interest in reenacting WW1 aviation.

-Being available for testing on at least weekends. (european time zones)

-Being able to fly with the mindset of "survival is everything".

Gunner career:

-We want to eliminate AI gunners as much as possible, or severely restrict the ranges on which they are allowed to fire.

-Only a mouse is needed to become a gunner.

-Even non-flight-simming friends of yours can become gunners without having to spend any money on equipment or the game.

-Pilots and gunners will be allowed to communicate via Teamspeak, if they could understand each other during flight in real life.

What AoW is not for:

-Abusing or gaming the rules to get the highscore.

-Ruining other players immersion by diverting from the mindset of a real person in a real   plane.

If you are interested in beta testing please PM me!

Have a nice day. smile.gif

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#2 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 19 September 2016 - 17:21

Sounds interesting. Is one player restricted to one pilot? Is there a global map where the progress of the campaign is visualized somehow?

yedwwtfx.gif

#3 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 19 September 2016 - 18:25

One player is restricted to one pilot, after that pilot died or got captured one can create another pilot.
The campaign will be playing on the Western front map of rise of flight so that will be the "global" map.
Its worth mentioning that this campaign is about reenacting WW1 aviation and not changing or altering the course of the war. 
So we wont visualise how the front moves, because the air battle will have no influence over that.

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#4 J2_Mr_Tree

J2_Mr_Tree

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:06

I love the idea but how are you going to enforce peopke to ot be on comms?

I don't believe people are that fair. And thus cheating your campaign will be easy.

On the other hand I love the idea!

#5 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:02

Sounds like a great idea - if successful, it might even bring back some of the old pilots who have moved on to Battle of the Gulags  :P  :P

how do you plan on handling pilot creation, mission planning and promotions etc? Ideally we need something similar to Pat Wilsons Campaign Generator (PWGC) with an online mode, which acts as a sort of online lobby and shows the map with active squadrons (with current planned missions for the given day and assigned pilots), allows the creation of online pilots (in a similar way to how PWCG does normal offline pilots already) and can generate missions with historically correct flight times and planes types etc.. Come to think of it, we should just get the community together and help Pat Wilson "online-a-tise" his campaign generator  :D  :D

Either way, it sounds like a great idea. The only problem might be getting enough players together to populate the missions. The RoF community is small and fragmented across many time zones...

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#6 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:11

Yep, sounds interesting and this fact that somebody tries to bring something new in ROF makes me happy!

But the point about permanent death of a pilot makes me really confuse. ROF community is not so big. Do you not think that after short time only little amount of players could fly because another will be "dead" - instead of possible 60 pilots just 15?

You write that after death player can create another pilot. In this game we have but a possibility to create only 5 pilots for the same player account. How will the permanent death be made in this case?

And how will statistics works as well? In ROF the statistic shows player's victories and losts and not pilot's ones.

S!  :icon_e_salute: 

#7 Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:43

You should advertise this over at the WOFF forums also.

#8 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:48

I love the idea but how are you going to enforce peopke to ot be on comms?

I don't believe people are that fair. And thus cheating your campaign will be easy.

On the other hand I love the idea!

When playing, all people will be required to be on our TS server, there we have a special room for flying, when someone is in there he can't talk.
If someone really wants to game this system he would still be able to do it, but we want to keep such people out of it in the first place.

Sounds like a great idea - if successful, it might even bring back some of the old pilots who have moved on to Battle of the Gulags  :P  :P

how do you plan on handling pilot creation, mission planning and promotions etc? Ideally we need something similar to Pat Wilsons Campaign Generator (PWGC) with an online mode, which acts as a sort of online lobby and shows the map with active squadrons (with current planned missions for the given day and assigned pilots), allows the creation of online pilots (in a similar way to how PWCG does normal offline pilots already) and can generate missions with historically correct flight times and planes types etc.. Come to think of it, we should just get the community together and help Pat Wilson "online-a-tise" his campaign generator  :D  :D

Either way, it sounds like a great idea. The only problem might be getting enough players together to populate the missions. The RoF community is small and fragmented across many time zones...

Pilot creation, statistics and so on will all be done through our website and the maps will be created by us.
The rise of flight community is small thats true, but since its free this campaign might bring a few people in who have been relcutant.

Yep, sounds interesting and this fact that somebody tries to bring something new in ROF makes me happy!

But the point about permanent death of a pilot makes me really confuse. ROF community is not so big. Do you not think that after short time only little amount of players could fly because another will be "dead" - instead of possible 60 pilots just 15?

You write that after death player can create another pilot. In this game we have but a possibility to create only 5 pilots for the same player account. How will the permanent death be made in this case?

And how will statistics works as well? In ROF the statistic shows player's victories and losts and not pilot's ones.

S!  :icon_e_salute: 

You misunderstood it a little, your ingame nickname will stay the same throughout all pilot lives.
A pilot will be created by filling out  a form on the website and the stats of this pilot will be tracked on the website also.

S

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#9 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 20 September 2016 - 13:46

S!

How do you track pilot career?

Do you have a parser that records kills and deaths as well as bombed targets,recons etc. Or are you doing it manually with after action reports?

#10 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 20 September 2016 - 15:52

There will be after action reports.

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#11 =Mannock=

=Mannock=

Posted 20 September 2016 - 18:35

It's pretty interesting :-) It's fine to see that there are still players which are able to create new things for the RoF :-) Thanks. 

#12 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 20 September 2016 - 19:07

I'm in. been waiting for something like this. do we pick sides . what if every one picks the same side,

#13 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 20 September 2016 - 19:23

S!

back in the RB3D  days, I believe it was SE Atos that ran something similar called "One Life to Live".

#14 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 20 September 2016 - 22:34

Yeah we will pick sides, if too many people pick one side we will ask people to even it out a bit.
Please add "Bombenlejher" on steam or pm me so I can invite you on our teamspeak, where we can discuss everything.

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#15 J2_Mr_Tree

J2_Mr_Tree

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:04

I believe your solution for this no speaking is nice! Not failproof but close :D

Hope to see this going somewhere.

Is there an ETA for this? :P

#16 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:35

Well right now we need to finish the website, all the forms and so on. Secondly we need to test our map and by doing so determine exactly how future missions work.
Thirdly we need to improve our historical background knoledge considerably.
This is where we could need help espically when it comes to the RFC or the Armee de l'Air.
And lastly we need to gather enough people to start the campaign so I think we are talking months here. (depends on the communnity though, if everyone helps it could be weeks)

~S~

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#17 J2_Mr_Tree

J2_Mr_Tree

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:48

Well right now we need to finish the website, all the forms and so on. Secondly we need to test our map and by doing so determine exactly how future missions work.
This is where we could need help espically when it comes to the RFC or the Armee de l'Air.
And lastly we need to gather enough people to start the campaign so I think we are talking months here. (depends on the communnity though, if everyone helps it could be weeks)

~S~

I can honnestly say I am very interested.
I'll try and get the word out in our squad.

Fot the history i believe these forums are a great starting point and I've noticed some people on warhrounds teamspeak who know some stuff.
On testing or help I'd like to help where needed just give me a call.

#18 J2_Mr_Tree

J2_Mr_Tree

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:54

One more thing that is unclear. Would this be an ongoing fight as in I can pop in every evening will be able to join a flight or create one?

Or will this be more like Flanders in Flames on a scheduled base?

#19 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:16

~S~

Where can we find out/discuss what historical background you need? I might be able to help a bit with the RFC.

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#20 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:19

This is sounding mighty interesting! Congratulations on the initiative. I am curious to know how this will work in terms of how much weekly time you must devote to this as a player. Depending on that this could easily become my main playing scenario.

#21 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 21 September 2016 - 18:20

Where can we find out/discuss what historical background you need? I might be able to help a bit with the RFC.

Its best when we discuss this on teamspeak, so we dont have to have lengthy dicsussions in this thread.

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#22 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 22 September 2016 - 22:37

Would you be able to accommodate squads if they wanted to join as a unit? There are still a number of squads here that may want to participate, but would certainly want to fly with their mates.

The days and time could be a big factor also. Our community spans MANY time zones, and you wouldn't want it to conflict with other ongoing campaigns like Flanders in Flames.

Gamecock,The Kickin Chickin 

GCsig.png

#23 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:28

I saw it more as an ongoing thing than as a succession of events. Sort of Wargrounds but with additional restrictions and features. The main risk with this approach in my opinion is breaking down an already dwindling community into subcommunities with not enough critical mass. The oportunity however is bringing to the multiplayer gaming those that are attracted by these features, such as Pwcg fans.

#24 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 23 September 2016 - 16:39

Yeah we will pick sides, if too many people pick one side we will ask people to even it out a bit.
Please add "Bombenlejher" on steam or pm me so I can invite you on our teamspeak, where we can discuss everything.

ahum, there are 144 bombenlegers on Steam......i don't want so many friends :icon_e_biggrin:

seriously, there are 144!

#25 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 23 September 2016 - 17:02

Would you be able to accommodate squads if they wanted to join as a unit? There are still a number of squads here that may want to participate, but would certainly want to fly with their mates.

The days and time could be a big factor also. Our community spans MANY time zones, and you wouldn't want it to conflict with other ongoing campaigns like Flanders in Flames.

Yes squadrons are very welcome but even better than single persons joinging the campaign, because they probably are already trained in formation flying and they bring more people.

I saw it more as an ongoing thing than as a succession of events. Sort of Wargrounds but with additional restrictions and features. The main risk with this approach in my opinion is breaking down an already dwindling community into subcommunities with not enough critical mass. The oportunity however is bringing to the multiplayer gaming those that are attracted by these features, such as Pwcg fans.

Our aim is to have a server going 24/7 and then have events within the campaign so that we have certain days where more people are gathered on the server.
We are not sure if we will be able to do this or maybe have like 2 days a eek where the campaign is running.

EDIT: @Marx its BombenleJHer for that exact reason :D, so "Bombenlejher"

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#26 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 24 September 2016 - 15:55

S! Bombenleger,

Are you or other members currently flying RoF?

#27 J2_Mr_Tree

J2_Mr_Tree

Posted 24 September 2016 - 16:23

S! Bombenleger,

I have seen him on the wg server a couple of times.

Hopefully he himself can elaborate further on the subject.

#28 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 24 September 2016 - 21:34

S! Bombenleger,

Yeah im flying RoF on a daily basis, though the flying time is reduced, because we are working on the campaign and other clan related stuff at the moment.

I have seen him on the wg server a couple of times.

Hopefully he himself can elaborate further on the subject.

What subject needs further elaboration?

I will post a roadmap in the next few days so you guys know what we are working on and what we could need help with.

~S~

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#29 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 25 September 2016 - 20:37

S! Bomberlegen,

I asked because RoF has some peculiar aspects to its missions. A 24/7 campaign is very ambitious. As you can tell a LOT of people are VERY interested. These are not just individuals but people that represent various squads.  This sounds like a great idea and could help the community grow.

#30 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 September 2016 - 14:35

S! Bomberlegen,

I asked because RoF has some peculiar aspects to its missions. A 24/7 campaign is very ambitious. As you can tell a LOT of people are VERY interested. These are not just individuals but people that represent various squads.  This sounds like a great idea and could help the community grow.

Butzell and Bombenleger,

i really like the idea and certainly will participate when it starts but...

i think 24/7 is useless. Simply because ROF has a thin basis of regular players scattered all over the world. There are times a day (through time differences) nobody is online or just a few. If it is the DID principal it will be over very soon and the few who have survived will meet by coincedance..

just my 2 cents.

A nice well organised tournament between the people who registered would probably be better. 

#31 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 26 September 2016 - 14:39

@Marx,

yeah we have thought about this and about ways to still make a 24/7 campaigng feasible.
But that is a decision to be made in the future since the factors deciding this are not yet definite, so the discussion about this is better held in the future.

~S~

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#32 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 September 2016 - 14:54

@Marx,

yeah we have thought about this and about ways to still make a 24/7 campaigng feasible.
But that is a decision to be made in the future since the factors deciding this are not yet definite, so the discussion about this is better held in the future.

~S~

Thanx for explaining :icon_e_salute:

#33 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 26 September 2016 - 16:51

Okay guys I got a few news for you.
Firstly we have our new AoW Website running, with working forums.
It would be nice if people who are interested in helping to develop AoW would register there.
After registering send me a PM with the username you chose on clansweb and ask for an invitation to AoW.

Link:  
http://aviatorsofwar.clans.de/home

For people who have problems registering:

And secondly as promised here is a rough roadmap leading to the first beta test:

1st step historical background : (we need help with this, because it is  a lot to do)

At first we want to focus at the Somme area in the september of 1916 onwards.

Promotions/Awards:

-What are the prerequisites for promotions? (different for every nation)
-What are the prerequisites for medals? (different for every nation)

Supplies and (re)locations:

-How often and in what quantities did squadrons get new supplies of planes and pilots?     (different for every nation)
-Which squadrons where at which airfields at what time and how were they equipped?
-How where French and English squadrons organised?

Ground units:

-How many artillery batteries were present at that time?
-How were they usually organised/located?
-Any possible information about supply hubs that are viable for bomber missions?
-Organisation and distribution of AA units

2nd step creating the beta-test map:

We have a “raw” version of the test map up and running, with a historical mission set on the 17th of September 1916.
Jasta 2 has just received the new Albatros D.II and takes off to intercept British bombers attacking Marcoing train station.
We are still working on AA emplacements and the barrage balloons, but it’s playable.

280px-Marcoing_-_Vue_int%C3%A9rieure_de_

3rd step server/hosting:

Who has experience with hosting creating a new dedicated server?
Or is there maybe someone who would provide us with an already existing server?
For the beta test we will probably not need a dedicated server, but later on it will be necessary.

That’s all for now. :)

~S~

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#34 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 September 2016 - 17:07

#35 Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Posted 26 September 2016 - 22:47

Hoping it is 24/7. My play days and windows are pretty erratic and short.

#36 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:00

regarding squadrons and their locations, there used to be a great interactive map at this address http://patriot.net/~...send/WW1AirMap/ but I see its down now. Hopefully someone knows of a backup of the site because It really was invaluable in determining which squadron was at which aerodrome at which time.

#37 JG1_Klaiber

JG1_Klaiber

Posted 27 September 2016 - 14:53

Thankfully, you can still access it through the Internet Archive:

https://web.archive....send/WW1AirMap/

Klaiber_long_ROF.png?dl=0
Hals - und Beinbruch!

#38 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 September 2016 - 15:03

Salute Bombenleger!

Check out this link for WW1 British awards and their designations:
http://www.greatwar....tish-medals.htm

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#39 Bombenleger

Bombenleger

Posted 27 September 2016 - 16:04

Thx guys will have a look into that tomorow!  :icon_e_smile: 

~S~

logo_1448112426_cp.png

#40 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 September 2016 - 18:08

Hey guys!

I started some threads on their new forum for discussing awards, air force organization, and historical context of the Battle of the Somme. It's just a start, but if any of you guys would like to contribute what you know, please feel free to add to those topics! :)

Awards and medals:

http://aviatorsofwar...lopment-1467701

Battle of the Somme discussion:

http://aviatorsofwar...lopment-1467721

Air force organization:

http://aviatorsofwar...lopment-1467741

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users