New system - suggestions

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:08

Okay,

I am 52, about to build a new system for the first time in about a decade.  I have built my PCs for the last 30 years but have not gamed much in the last 5 years or so...

This game, and a few other events have prompted me to build a new, bad-ass system.  Not insane mind you (I did not win the lottery, just kicked the exwife out!).

So, tell me...  New CPU, New Board, Cards... 

I have an old Thrustmaster, but that is it.  I hope to pipe this game to a Huge HD TV I have just inherited from my pop as well but may spring for something VR...who knows.  I have looked at a TrackIR setup and will need some peddles for sure.

Suggestions for a MoBoard?  Vid card(s)?  Peddles...  Etc.  All with an eye to this game exclusively as I doubt I will play any other fly-sim.  I have zero interest in anything other than WW1 and this game is it IMO.

Oh, yeah and How come these guys dont offer a "Squadron Pack" or something of the sort?  When I drop the ball on this game I plan on doing so in a big way (duh, read above!).  Don't make me wait for the next damned sale. 

EDIT:  I see this prob should be in the hardware forum.  My bad, did not see it first time...  I can't delete or move this post however so it is up to the admin to do the needful as my Indian friends say...

Thanks for your feedback,

GG

#2 davidpartay

davidpartay

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:03

Honestly, I spent a few years with AMD chipsets but moved to Intel with the i5 2500K (when it was new) and have never looked back.  I've had the same setup with this processor for 5 years now and it's still going strong!  I even have my original Geforce GTX570+ which I have been tempted to replace a few times but can't justify the AUD$400+ it will cost for a replacement to be worth getting.

So with those specs in mind, when I did price a new build a few months ago I ended up writing down the specs but I can't find it anymore.  However, having a quick look at a price list, it would have been something along these lines:

CPU: Intel i5 6600K

Mobo: Not sure - something with the 1151pin socket (to fit the CPU) and the Z170 chipset might be the best one.  With motherboards, work out how many slots you need, if you want external sound, how much RAM, and check the chipset specs because they make a difference.

RAM: 16gb G.Skill, Kingston or Corsair, at least 2400mhz.  Apparently timings do matter so it may be worth researching what's available to you

GFX:  I think the new 1060 might just be a better choice than the 970 which is what I originally looked at for myself.  If you don't want to spend a fortune, the 1060, 1070, or 970 is what I would go for, with the 1070 being the best and most expensive.

I can't help you with flight hardware as I am a noob to it myself.  However, just today I did order a set of Thrustmaster Flight Control Pedals off eBay.  Apparently some people think they're "rubbish" because they're ugly and too small or something, but technically they look fine to me.  I'm sure you can spend more money and get something better though, of course.  They went for AUD$168 for me.

I can HIGHLY recommend Track-IR!!!  It was the best flight-sim related purchase I've ever made, especially for combat simulators which I'm bad enough at anyway :).  Make sure you get the 'Trackclip Pro' as it is much more accurate.

#3 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:21

Not a tech guy myself but I do run RoF on a large TV (70 inch :))  - at 1080p - looks good, immersive and makes spotting much easier.

If you get an HDTV just make sure that it can show more than 30 frames/sec and beware the huge framerate hit of all those pixels. Mine does maximum 60, which is as much as anyone really needs. But I am sure if you have been building your own PCs you are up to speed on this...

TiR is a godsend - I could not fly without it now.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#4 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 September 2016 - 23:01

Thanks guys, I could not agree more on the Track IR.  I tried this game a few years back and just gave up due to total lack of "Situational Awareness".

I will take a look at the boards and chip sets.  Will ponder the greatness of Intell as well.

Scott

#5 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 13 September 2016 - 18:24

Could you also bring in what games you wanted to play. . As for a sample WoFF needs a big CPU that could handle this game. Are you an overclocker?

If it is only RoF then I would start at the i5-6500 or higher and avoiding AMD CPU, dualcore and 6/8 core CPU's. .

Motherboard if going for the k version then get the Z170 chipset version that does have 4 slots DDR4 RAM. Fill the two Ram slots 2x4Gb RAM and later if needed the other two can be filled to another 2x4 Gb.

If going for the non k version you could go for an asRock mobo that can unlock  non k CPU. 

Vcard, get the GTX1060 or AMD480. But much better would be the GTX1070, can not see you budget. 

Good readings to start at Tomshardware.com btw. 

If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#6 Tycoon

Tycoon

Posted 13 September 2016 - 19:41

Lot of good info at tom's you're right on that.

Plenty of room at the Hotel RiseofFlight, you can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave. 

#7 davidpartay

davidpartay

Posted 13 September 2016 - 23:17

Can you still get 4gb sticks?  Haha.  I'm kidding of course :).  Personally I wouldn't bother, I'd just go straight for dual-channel 8gb sticks.  You'll never need it but they said that about more than 20mb hard drive space once too.

Make sure you run a 64-bit OS, as well.  32-bit OSes can only use 3.6gb - 4gb RAM.  Gaming these days will benefit from at least 8gb.

#8 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 14 September 2016 - 00:34

Pedals - MFG Pro.

If you have a Warthog I highly recommend Sahaj's 'Stick Extensions' (I recently got the 10cm one). http://warthog-exten...s-by-sahaj.com/

:icon_e_salute:

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#9 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:48

What about the PCIe lanes?  I'm shopping for a new computer too, and am also tempted to go with the Z170 chipset instead of the X99 because of supposedly higher overclocking capabilty.  I'm a long time user of two way SLI to drive multiple displays, and don't like the fact that Z170 only has 16 lanes, so supports 8X/8X for the GPU's.   I've read a heck of a lot of things that basically say forget about this, your cards are never going to get a bandwith bottleneck with 8x/8x PCIe 3.0.   Would some of the more hardware savvy here agree that if I were to get, say, two 1070's or 1080's, I should indeed just forget about the number of lanes, and the 16x/16x I could get with an X99?

#10 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:09

:icon_lol:

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#11 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:56

If no lottery money, what is your budget? 

Some here throwing around high-end hardware advice, such as GPUs, that for someone who hasn't upgraded their system in, what, a decade you said?  Those prices will make you choke...

I am still running a i7 2600K overclocked to 4.4 GHz with 2 x SSD for OS and then for games, but with a new build better to go for current mobo and chipset.  As mentioned Toms hardware is the place to go for good reviews.  You do NOT have to "be an overclocker" to benefit from a mild overclock; it isn't difficult, just read and be patient.

RoF will look very good on a GTX 770 with all important settings on high (I know from experience), and when I upgraded to a GTX 980Ti 6GB I was not able to "max everything out" such as those ultra postprocessing settings.  The game code/engine remains largely unchanged from maybe 2011, other than introducing 3D waves in Channel Map there were no optimizations.  The Channel still has micro stutters for me regardless.

So just my opinion, throwing too much money into a system just for RoF is ludicrous at this point.  However, thinking you will only play one game is also not fathomable to me.  Chances are this interest in WWI flight sims, RoF in particular, is just the thin wedge into other games.

Once you do get it installed, make sure you look up and install Ankor's bump map modhttp://riseofflight....ping/?hl= ankor  

It is an absolutely vast improvement to the look of the terrain and at zero performance cost.  Try it before and after.

#12 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 September 2016 - 16:19

Thanks for the (continued) feedback.

My budge is south of 1,000 USD considering I already have my HD TV and a Joystick to get me into the game.  Other than that I need it all and my budge is not hard-fixed.  As for the CPUs and cost when just checked on the Intel I7, and at about $250 that is what I expected and honestly does not seem to have changed much at all in the last decade (really).

Honestly, I was most concerned about:

Intell VS AMD (which I think you guys have answered)

MoBo (which is a huge thread by itself I know....but I got a few leads for chipsets and that helps)

Video cards (brand, model and 1 vs 2 ...and believe my son said some of you whippersnappers have mobo that allow 3 vid cards now as well...)

As for "other games", yes I play a few BUT nothing like this.  Almost all other games I play are turn based (very old school) wargames.  So, I can run those on my phone practically.  This will be almost surely be the only "real time" game I play with a possible exception of the Fallout series of RPG-shooters (which should be no problem if I can do this one well).  I simply do not do other flight simulations and while I used to play alot of Submarine sims....not so much anymore as the last Silent Hunter was just too much of a pain in the arse for me to deal with for "fun".

Thanks for the feedback,

Scott

#13 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 14 September 2016 - 17:34

In this case
Mobo Asus Z170 pro gaming, midrange but good overclocker board €150,-
Intel i5-6600k €250,-
decent cooler Scythe Fuma €40,- jep no cooler on the k series
2x8gb Ram Check on the asus site wich Ram has been confirmed by Asus, but get the one that can handle XMP €75,-
nVidia GTX1070 €400,-
500gb SSD €125,-
PSU 500watt modulair 80,- maybe you can re-use your old one the 1070 is very low on power
PC case. re use your old one.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#14 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:05

Almost all other games I play are turn based (very old school) wargames.  So, I can run those on my phone practically. 

"ggrognard" is a dead-giveaway for that, :)  I like them too too, BTW. Spent more time in SteelPanthersWW2 than I care to admit.

I run RoF on an overclocked 780 at 1080p and it is very good, but as Bandy pointed out above the sim is not well optimized so that there are occasions such as low over cities or looking back through your exhaust fumes that there is a marked frame rate drop and/or stuttering.  So you will have to play around with the options such as shadows and reflections, AA etc to get the best mix of smoothness, FPS, looks and gameplay.

For RoF enjoyment I would say that an extra throttle quadrant, TiR and a set of pedals are much more important than a few extra FPS. They make flying and engine management much more natural.

#15 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 15 September 2016 - 17:47

@Bandy I read that you have an GTX980ti, is it possible to run the Channel map, using supersampling.
If yes at what resolution are you running?

#16 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 September 2016 - 17:48

Still here and noting your points, but...

What the heck is a "extra throttle quadrant"?

I have an 2-3 year old Thrustmaster stick of some sort I (literally) bought for this game alone and barely used.  I will prob keep that for a bit. that will prob. serve for the short-term...we will see.

TiR and pedals are on my list absolutely (which brand/model...not so much decided as yet)

Scott

#17 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 15 September 2016 - 18:25

I like CH products, they are butt-ugly but they last and haven't changed much in years, much like myself...  Yes, that's me in the avatar... :icon_lol:

http://www.fspilotsh...FUtbhgodVUkNoA There's a throttle quadrant on that page, I use it for IL2 but not really required for RoF IMHO...  Not be to be elitist but for me, TrackIR, rudder pedals, and force feedback joystick are a must if you are/want to get serious with RoF.  These virtual crates and buses need stick and rudder, just like the old days.  In WWII rudder not so much, their ailerons were balanced.

@ Dutch2  I can't get rid of the low frame rates (don't want to call it stutter, tho maybe it is?) on the channel map just after at take off, I simply keep looking forward until about 500 m altitude, then it seems to resolve itself with some height.  I've heard it has to do with the fact that all those 3D waves are still happening under the terrain, they are just masked over by the ground.

#18 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 15 September 2016 - 19:08

@bandy, can you use supersampling in the channel map and what resolution are using?

Reason for asking this, is that want to fly with Supersampling enabled on the channel map, which can not checked on my actual HD7970 OC. I can fly on the Western and Eastern front with Supersampling at the Channel map Supersampling is dropping the FPS to a low level. 

To keep supersampling enabled at the channel map, I'm considering two alternatives to cope this; an GTX1070 (€400,-) or an extra second hand HD7970/R9-280X (€100,-) but that needs an extra powerful PSU (€130,-)
These combinations would bring me to a level of your GTX980ti but if your 980ti still can not handle supersampling on the channel map at 2560x1440 resolution then I guess it makes no sense for this investment.

#19 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:29

Still here and noting your points, but...

What the heck is a "extra throttle quadrant"?

I have an 2-3 year old Thrustmaster stick of some sort I (literally) bought for this game alone and barely used.  I will prob keep that for a bit. that will prob. serve for the short-term...we will see.

TiR and pedals are on my list absolutely (which brand/model...not so much decided as yet)

Scott

It is just a bank of levers that are much easier to use than pressing buttons since you can glance at them or feel where they are.  I use the Saitek throttle (just type into Google and you will see what it looks like) in addition to my Logitech 980 which also has a splittable throttle - so I have up to 5 different levers, ie throttle, mix, radiator usually enough in RoF, with a couple left over for the WW2 planes that might have oil coolers etc as well.

#20 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 September 2016 - 21:18

Purchased my TrackIR 5 Pro and CH Pro pedals today.  Now for the hard part, a mobo and vid card.  I am hoping maybe I can run the game in low mode on my old PC and "learn to fly" solo for a bit...  I gotta be ready for you damned buzzards out in server land.  Just waiting for me in my damn'd Fe2b! (yes, I do love the odd-ball planes most)

Thanks for all the advise.

GG

#21 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 October 2016 - 21:43

Wooohooo!  Got my TrackIR 5 up and running and...and...  I CAN SEE I CAN SEE!   I feel like "Tatto" in that old and very bad sitcom....  "The Plane!"  "The Plane!"  lol!

I fly about as well too....  I cant reach my rudder yet as they are still in the mail.  Due Friday.   But, honestly, now that I can see, I am not sure that will be the fix-it.  I just suck.

My lord...  Much practice to follow...

Thanks for the tips, TrackIR 5, required, absolutely!

Scott

#22 Charlie_14

Charlie_14
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 October 2016 - 00:37

Great thread folks, I've been gone for a few years now but am in the process of getting my old rig up and running soon and getting back in the air. I have a lot of rust to knock off and this thread brought back some memories to help in that regard. Thanks!

#23 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 15 October 2016 - 00:54

@bandy, can you use supersampling in the channel map and what resolution are using?

Reason for asking this, is that want to fly with Supersampling enabled on the channel map, which can not checked on my actual HD7970 OC. I can fly on the Western and Eastern front with Supersampling at the Channel map Supersampling is dropping the FPS to a low level. 

To keep supersampling enabled at the channel map, I'm considering two alternatives to cope this; an GTX1070 (€400,-) or an extra second hand HD7970/R9-280X (€100,-) but that needs an extra powerful PSU (€130,-)
These combinations would bring me to a level of your GTX980ti but if your 980ti still can not handle supersampling on the channel map at 2560x1440 resolution then I guess it makes no sense for this investment.

Hey Dutch - you're not trying to run the RoF supersampling (in the post effects section of the RoF launcher), are you?

If so, why? (and stop it! :) )

If you're talking about running some supersampling setting in your Radeon drivers, I can't help you (don't have any AMD cards any more) - but if you've got or are considering a decent nVidia card you shouldn't have any problems running supersampling on the Channel or other maps.  (I used to alternate AMD cards and nVidia cards every other generation or so, but I saw what you could do for RoF with nVidia supersampling that you couldn't do with AMD cards back when I had my GTX 285 and have been sticking with nVidia cards ever since).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#24 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:26

Im running supersampling by selecting SS in the Rof game adjustments. I can not rembering but normally I do testing on what is working the best, the AMD or Rof settings, when facing performance problems and I geuss in this case the rof setting would bring me the lowest performance impact. Western, Eastern front can handle SS, but the Channel drops FPS, so this map I always run without SS.

The other problem is that Im running an mid resolution 27" 2560x1440 Dell and not an lower resolution 1920x1080 monitor. The more pixels the more performance it will need for using SS.

BTw what Vcard are you running and at what resolution?

#25 Zlatarov

Zlatarov

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:45

R9 290X coupled with FX 8350
@ 4,2Ghz

2560X1440 Asus

I have all setting on Hight / max level. Antialising x2 and anisotropic filter x2.

Same issues as described above. Actually I never bother with measuring FPS, but what really kills me is when a significant FPS drop occurs. And those bloody micro freezes or stuttering.

I use to have super sampling on also , till the moment I got channel map and after I launched I got something like slide show at any heights !

Since then I have no longer use SS.

Start to think - do we really need a 2560x1440 resolution for this game ? Most of the textures in the game - cockpit , land, objects and etc are not even 1920x1080, so no we will not have better picture any way. (If you have a single picture and via some programs you increase the original size 1920x1080 till 2560x1440 it's one things but when you have to play games is different)
Probably better choice will be bigger screen in diagonal ?!?!?

#26 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:19

Maybe not on a 22" midget monitor or non IPS but on my 27" I can see the difference between a high resolution (2560x1440) and a low resolution (1920x1080) adjustment. At low adjustments Rof looks rather fuzzy not that sharp, I do not want to go back for an low resolution, small screen and TN technic monitor.

#27 Zlatarov

Zlatarov

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:38

@Dutch2
You mean that you native screen resulution is 2560x1440 and in game settings you set to 1920x1080! ?
Well I would be surprise if you get good results , cause u stretching the pixels from less resolution to fill in a bigger one.
Opposite always work with good results (having 2560x1440 picture and watching it on a 1920x1080).
What I mean by using 1920x1080 it was for screen's native resolution and with diagonal like 24-27"

#28 Zlatarov

Zlatarov

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:40

@Dutch2
You mean that you native screen resulution is 2560x1440 and in game settings you set to 1920x1080! ?
Well I would be surprise if you get good results , cause u stretching the pixels from less resolution to fill in a bigger one.
Opposite always work with good results (having 2560x1440 picture and watching it on a 1920x1080).
What I mean by using 1920x1080 it was for screen's native resolution and with diagonal like 24-27"

#29 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 15 October 2016 - 15:01

Nope you should set the ingame and PC settings to the same resolution and/or get your old low resolution TN monitor to verify this. I have tested this on two TV's and one low resolution TN monitor. But all can not beat the 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitor.
Look at the edges, the planes wires, the roundings and the terrain.

#30 Zlatarov

Zlatarov

Posted 15 October 2016 - 15:46

Yep U r right , with 2560x1440 u got bonus - free antialiasing but, in general since the texture resolution is too low the picture is not better any way !
There is many games that have high textures and there the difference between 1440 vs 1080 is huge

:)

#31 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:20

Okay, I am not dead, but it was hell...

I am finally moved, (almost) situated and have my new PC up and running. 

If I can find where I packed my damn joystick and peddles I can get into the air again soon....

Thanks for the suggestions.

Scott

Final system specs below: 

Attached Files

#32 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:55

Welcome back - glad you're up and running again.  Hope you can find your controllers and get back in the virtual skies soon.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#33 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 16 May 2017 - 19:43

Great system, only I would have spent something more on the Vcard, the AMD580 or GTX1060 would be a nicer touch.

#34 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 May 2017 - 19:59

My son said the same thing.  :-)   But honestly, this game is by a WIDE margin the most stressful vid I will run on this system (that I can see).   Well, this or Fallout4 if I ever start that up...

And, of course, I can slot in another card should I feel the need.

Thanks for the feedback.  Knowlege is a good thing, even if it is only of another opinion.  ;-)

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users