Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#2 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 04 August 2016 - 21:40

Chief do you fly COD? I have it but only flown it a few times, If you do fly tell me when you do I'd like to join you . Does NW have a server for cliffs?

#3 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 05 August 2016 - 18:01

haven't flown for awhle but yes I do fly CloD. And I would be happy to fly with you. No, we do not have a CloD server at NW. Wr try to support our indeveours like RoF with mission editors and such. We closed our BoS/BoM servers (though we keep what missions we had) simply because we had no regular mission editors to keep it straight and refreshed like in RoF.

Though we gave thought to a CloD server, the same thing applies to it. We feel that we would need interesting maps and such to populate a good CloD server. We don't have any at this time. But it is an option that we can always look at if the interest was there.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

#4 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 05 August 2016 - 18:44

That would be great to fly with you, you can show me the ropes , I've had it for 2 or 3 years and never really flown it. not that its not a great sim just love ROF to much. picked up for GusGT too but we never gone into it yet. I here they might make a pacific map, now that would be great. new planes like the mustang and zero, 

Right now I'm trying out some new maps for FNF to see if I can help that server, I think it should be more populated than it is. Then maybe we can look at some missions for COD.

#5 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 August 2016 - 18:45

This announcement made me finally download CloD. Got it all patched up, and will try learning it soon. Wish me luck! :lol:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#6 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 05 August 2016 - 20:04

HLC you don't need luck buddy, your pretty damn good already. you'll do fine

#7 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 August 2016 - 22:44

Aw, thanks Grahamshere. *blush* :)

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#8 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 06 August 2016 - 13:24

I do not know how these guys doing this job, without any help from 1C, but it is a great achievement. I only hope they will not burn lot of efforts on making complete new planes like the Marlet and an armed Tigermoth trainer, as been seen on the inworks videos earlier.
I would stick to making the actual planes flyable, sounds to me a much simples job.

BTW, For those who want to fly the Malta map go to: http://simhq.com/for...opics/3877505/1
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#9 Waggaz

Waggaz
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2016 - 00:07

Is CloD now Oculus CV1 compatible? I'm debating learning to fly Me109s

#10 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:19

From what i have read they plan to make it compatible, propably with the upcoming patch.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#11 Waggaz

Waggaz
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2016 - 23:04

Amazing!!! Decently modelled Spits in VR!!

#12 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 08 August 2016 - 00:12

Those of you who fly CloD and those just getting into it might want to check out "Ghost Skies", a tournament soon (hopefully) to launch. 

3./JG51_Stecher  and  II./JG1_Schulte (Moxy) have been working on this for about a year (others, myself included have been helping with the testing) and it promises to be exciting and intense.

It's not just an "airquake" dogfight or "blow 'em up" bomber event... though I'm sure there will be plenty of that once it gets rolling. It relies heavily on a fixed amount of resources - fuel, ammo, bombs, etc. - that must be husbanded and applied carefully by each side. As areas are captured, the front line moves to reflect the captured territory.

Check out more here:

http://ghostskies.com/en/howitworks

Register here:

http://forum.ghostsk...php?f=35&t=3451

~S~

#13 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 08 August 2016 - 00:34

Wow that might be fun JG1, guess I'll have to get practicing . I'll need some one to practice with, any one? I forgot how to do every thing so I'll be starting from scratch again.

#14 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 08 August 2016 - 14:18

I have CLoD but never fly it.  Is it hard to install all the Team Fusion updates and make it all work together?   I don't suppose there's a simple installer, by chance.   It certainly looks incredible. 

#15 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 08 August 2016 - 15:59

If I can do this then I'm sure you can do this. Go to the ATAG forum for help and instructions, The Malta map was the only path I could not set right.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#16 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 08 August 2016 - 16:25

If I can do this then I'm sure you can do this. Go to the ATAG forum for help and instructions, The Malta map was the only path I could not set right.

You have to install every thing in order, but I here 5.0 patch will be an automatic install. when ever it comes out.

#17 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 08 August 2016 - 17:07

See here for the install instructions,it's pretty much straight forward. http://theairtactica...?t=5058&p=52711

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#18 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 08 August 2016 - 17:13

I do not know how these guys doing this job, without any help from 1C, but it is a great achievement. I only hope they will not burn lot of efforts on making complete new planes like the Marlet and an armed Tigermoth trainer, as been seen on the inworks videos earlier.
I would stick to making the actual planes flyable, sounds to me a much simples job.

BTW, For those who want to fly the Malta map go to: http://simhq.com/for...opics/3877505/1

Well from what I've read, just modelling the inside of the Wellington has proved pretty time consuming. But I can't disagree with you on the existing plane argument. But I guess some just love a challenge, i.e. new aircraft. And though I was personally amazed at ALL the aircraft for the original IL-2, I understand that the measure of detail in CloD aircraft are ten times that of the orginal.

I have CLoD but never fly it.  Is it hard to install all the Team Fusion updates and make it all work together?   I don't suppose there's a simple installer, by chance.   It certainly looks incredible. 

At this time it can be challenging and I've looked for a guide over on ATAG forums but do not seem to be able to find it. Perhaps some of these gentlemen can give you a step by step to this. As for TF 5.0 I know that they are trying to make an installer for it so that it should be easier to install. They key is making it so it's not TOO big a download.

And as a post script here I would suggest that you make yourself known on their forums (ATAG) and perhaps get on their TS3 on your first flight so you can ask for help if necessary. Many, if you ask ahead of time in the forums, would be more than happy to help where you may need it.

A Russian enthusiast once did a reskin map that was simply gorgeous but the new map, if I understand correctly is build bottom up.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

#19 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 12 August 2016 - 17:03

Wow that map looks awesome, and that was back in 2012 , I have to fly that .

#20 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:10

Been reading this thread but got me confused...

what does "team fusion" actually mean? i dont understand it.

and i always thought BOS was the better newer follow up of CLOD. So is clod worth buying?

#21 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:20

Been reading this thread but got me confused...

what does "team fusion" actually mean? i dont understand it.

and i always thought BOS was the better newer follow up of CLOD. So is clod worth buying?

"IL-2 : Cliffs of Dover" (CloD) is the original flight sim, brought out around 2011 or so. When released, it had a lot of really serious flaws.

"Team Fusion" (TF) is the name of a CloD modding team. That is, a small group of volunteers who have modified the source code and data files of CloD in order to make it better.

Their patches have a version number, and so "TF v..." will be used to refer to the patch itself. The current version of their patch is "TF v4.312".

TF patches are free downloads. However, there is no single patch. At the moment, you need to load in the the previous patches and built up to TF 4.312.

TF (the mod team) have a website and forum which is hosted by the Air Tactical Assault Group (ATAG). This ATAG group are an online clan and run an online server. Not all TF team members are part of ATAG, but they are subject to TF rules. In turn, ATAG handle a lot of the promotion and community support for TF.

Because CloD was so bad at release, and TF have done such an excellent job of patching it, every online server uses the TF 4.312 patch. Therefore, if you want to fly multiplayer CloD, you must have "CLoD+TFv4.312"

The last TF patch was released in 2014 and represents the last Battle of Britain patch.

However, TF are working on a new patch (TF 5.0) which will be in a different theatre (Tobruk / North Afrika). Some testing has started, but there is no release date announced.

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#22 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 16 August 2016 - 15:12

To go a little further, Marx, CloD development started around 2006 and was pushed to release by UBI Soft in 2011. Oleg Maddox had a vision of an IL-2 that was in one jump, 10 times better than his orginal creation. However with great thoughts comes a greater production goal. One which would have gone well past 5 years to see it done right. Financial backers could not or would not stand for this. This is all subject to opinion but this is the gist. The flgiht model for CloD is way beyond what you'll see in the old IL-2 or even Bos/BoM. And even though FM issues or opinions still run rampet, there is no denying that CloD except for the state it was left in (orphaned but not disowned) is a beuatiful piece of work.

But here is the rub. Most of us novice combat pilots don't know didly about FM's. And for the most part, we could care less. The Old IL-2 proved this as many of the aircraft had the identical FM of other aircraft. But all we wanted as novice fighter pilots was to enjoy ourselves for a few precious minutes each night. And so except for a few knowledgable folks who raised such questions, we were oblivious.

BoS/BoM is a great product in my opinion. I enjoy it so it fills my intial hopes. I wonder often where it is going but I'm not alone there. But even though IT is good, it is not CloD nor did they ever plan on it being that. The key to marketing a product is to have a fairly reasonable turn around or product release. If they had spent the time and effort, not to count the money, then BoS/BoM may still have not seen the light of day. And still they had to wrestle with numerous issues including the NET code. Incidentally the NET code was one of the issues TF had to tackle with CloD and it looks like they got that right quicker than 1 CGS did.

Now in their attempt to tackle alleged cheating issues with BoS/BoM 1 CGS has initiated a NO mods rule. Well anything to stem cheating I applaud. BUT, this also stymie's any immediate future in community involvement short of submitting your work to the devs for consideration. 

So should you buy CloD? Well you'll never find a better piece of work at such a bargain basement price now will you? But as said above, make sure you can run it first to avoid the frustration. And know that there are several patches to install to get it up to playable speed. Rule of thumb here like in the mods for the old IL-2, make sure it runs and plays (offline) after each and every mod applied.

As a side note, TF is trying to develop a self installer that will take this tedious task out of the equation. Here's hoping for the best there with 5.0.

Each of our opinions on any of these flight simulations (even the ones not mentioned) is like having a good cup of tea. It's all a matter of taste.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

#23 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 August 2016 - 15:27

Dietrich and chief, thanx for explaining! I understand it way better now.

I enjoy BOS a lot, although i suck at it even more then i suck at ROF, but i would like to fly a P51 or Spit over more familiar terrain (europe) and that is what i miss.

I recently downloaded DCS but that just doesn't do it for me allthough the graphics are nice and good.

I'll dig a little deeper in it.....

:icon_e_salute:

#24 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 16 August 2016 - 15:39

Well Marx, keep the faith because eventually, DCS will release the European WW2 map. And hopefully more aircraft. But date of release is unkown by any of us.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

#25 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 16 August 2016 - 15:47

Hi Marxy !

I played CloD for a while and it was / is an excellent game with an amaziing 'feel' to flying the aircraft. If you ever saw IL2-1916 (WW1 Mod), RoF is to that, what CLoD is to IL2.

I'm surprised it's not more popular considering the area.

It was hard on my system though so I think you need fairly high specs to run it.

Well worth checking out if you want to fly WW2.

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#26 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 16 August 2016 - 16:29

Its cheap too, did any one say that. Think like 20 bucks and that's Canadian. I don't have a great computer, just a 1 gig VC and it runs great but you do need  direct X 11 to run it, took me a while to figure that out.

#27 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 16 August 2016 - 16:32

Hey Chief .. You said : "But even though IT is good, it is not CloD nor did they ever plan on it being that." I assume here that you mean something more than just the FMs. Would you mind expanding on what you meant by that? I'd be interested to know despite not owning any of these recent WWII sims, although I would eventually like to pick one up once I learn how to fly better (properly) in RoF. 

I had IL2-FB back in the day, but flew it in what I can now call "arcade style" considering what I have learned this year flying RoF. This supports what you said: "Most of us novice combat pilots don't know didly about FM's. And for the most part, we could care less. The Old IL-2 proved this as many of the aircraft had the identical FM of other aircraft." 

In exile.

#28 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 August 2016 - 19:23

It was hard on my system though so I think you need fairly high specs to run it.

That's why i invested in a better rig this summer, amazing what a descent videocard can do, allthough it did not improve my flying skills. I only see the Bristol inverted better now :icon_lol:

btw, CLOD is 10 euro now on steam. If i buy it all updates can be downloaded for free as in the order Chief stated? (i'm dutch so cheap :icon_e_biggrin: )

#29 Red_Bommel

Red_Bommel

Posted 16 August 2016 - 20:08

Yes the Team Fusion Mod is free of charge: http://teamfusion.th...saultgroup.com/

#30 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 16 August 2016 - 23:35

Chief; have you been on the peyote again?  Where do you get some of this stuff from?

"To go a little further, Marx, CloD development started around 2006 and was pushed to release by UBI Soft in 2011. Oleg Maddox had a vision of an IL-2 that was in one jump, 10 times better than his orginal creation. However with great thoughts comes a greater production goal. One which would have gone well past 5 years to see it done right. Financial backers could not or would not stand for this. This is all subject to opinion but this is the gist. The flgiht model for CloD is way beyond what you'll see in the old IL-2 or even Bos/BoM. And even though FM issues or opinions still run rampet, there is no denying that CloD except for the state it was left in (orphaned but not disowned) is a beuatiful piece of work."

UbiSoft had nothing to do with the release of CLoD in 2011.  UbiSoft were the western distributors and certainly advanced some of the funds for development but the release was all down to the owners of the property - 1C/Maddox Games. 

By 2011 Maddox games had ceased to exist as development costs overwhelmed Oleg's own resources.  1C pulled the plug on further development of the CLoD engine in 2013 as it was basically going nowhere. 

You needn't take my word for it. Here's what Ilya Shevchenko - lead dev of CLoD - had to say about it in 2013;

"Your general criticism is spot on. We shipped a product that had too many technical issues for us to really focus on finer elements of gameplay. There had never been a point, we're not even there today, where we could sit back, look at the code, and say, hell, what a great foundation, let's build a great game on top of it.

The GUI especially is our Achilles heel. Like I wrote earlier in the thread, somebody somewhere before I ever showed up chose to make it in a horrible clumsy environment called WPF. By the time I showed up it was too late to go back, and going forward proved extremely painful. Each new screen took forever, everything was clunky, tiny changes or bug fixes required insane amounts of effort, and in the end it took a tremendous painful effort to reach the decidedly insufficient GUI that we have today.

It's extremely painful and frustrating for everyone involved. Believe me."

As for the flight model of CLoD being "way beyond"  the old IL2 1946, it is basically done in the same way as old IL2 1946 - that's why it has the same 'on rails' quality. 

Is there any denying that CLoD is a beautiful piece of work?  Well.......yes.  Obviously it's all in the eye of the beholder but as a Londoner myself I can tell you that south-east England is not quite the land of swamps and river deltas that CLoD presents us with.  Hopefully, Team Fusion will be able to do something about this.

" But here is the rub. Most of us novice combat pilots don't know didly about FM's. And for the most part, we could care less. The Old IL-2 proved this as many of the aircraft had the identical FM of other aircraft. But all we wanted as novice fighter pilots was to enjoy ourselves for a few precious minutes each night. And so except for a few knowledgable folks who raised such questions, we were oblivious."

You were oblivious?  I take it you were never a member of the UbiSoft IL2 forums where the FM discussions and accompanying chart wars of this huge, active community were epic, endless and often hilarious?  None of Oleg's aircraft shared the same flight model.

"The key to marketing a product is to have a fairly reasonable turn around or product release. If they had spent the time and effort, not to count the money, then BoS/BoM may still have not seen the light of day."  

When it was shut down the CLoD team was fifty-five strong.  That's a lot of effort over a long time to produce a turkey. I won't try and count the money spent on these salaries and associated office costs. 

"Now in their attempt to tackle alleged cheating issues with BoS/BoM 1 CGS has initiated a NO mods rule. Well anything to stem cheating I applaud. BUT, this also stymie's any immediate future in community involvement short of submitting your work to the devs for consideration."

Er....that's not what has been said.  BoS has never had a mods on/mods off mode like RoF and mores the pity as you're quite right; it does stymie community involvement.  This has had nothing to do with cheating.  However, it has been hinted that we may indeed get a mods on mode.

"So should you buy CloD? Well you'll never find a better piece of work at such a bargain basement price now will you?" 

Absolutely right!  Just remember to apply the Team Fusion patches and enjoy. It's still a remarkable piece of work.  I understand the desire to turn Oleg into some tragic hero - and why not?  His original vision gave a great deal of pleasure to a great many people but at the end of the day he simply bit off a little more than he could comfortably chew.

Remember; never eat anything bigger than your own head! :icon_e_salute:

#31 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 17 August 2016 - 14:53

Hey Chief .. You said : "But even though IT is good, it is not CloD nor did they ever plan on it being that." I assume here that you mean something more than just the FMs. Would you mind expanding on what you meant by that? I'd be interested to know despite not owning any of these recent WWII sims, although I would eventually like to pick one up once I learn how to fly better (properly) in RoF. 

I had IL2-FB back in the day, but flew it in what I can now call "arcade style" considering what I have learned this year flying RoF. This supports what you said: "Most of us novice combat pilots don't know didly about FM's. And for the most part, we could care less. The Old IL-2 proved this as many of the aircraft had the identical FM of other aircraft." 

Well I think Arthur answered for me and please, remember as an eternal (I think) Novice pilot, I know nothing about FM or than what appeals to me or not. I have read most of the forum discussions on FM and would not pretend to understand most of it even though I found it medley interesting.

Chief; have you been on the peyote again?  Where do you get some of this stuff from?

"To go a little further, Marx, CloD development started around 2006 and was pushed to release by UBI Soft in 2011. Oleg Maddox had a vision of an IL-2 that was in one jump, 10 times better than his orginal creation. However with great thoughts comes a greater production goal. One which would have gone well past 5 years to see it done right. Financial backers could not or would not stand for this. This is all subject to opinion but this is the gist. The flgiht model for CloD is way beyond what you'll see in the old IL-2 or even Bos/BoM. And even though FM issues or opinions still run rampet, there is no denying that CloD except for the state it was left in (orphaned but not disowned) is a beuatiful piece of work."

UbiSoft had nothing to do with the release of CLoD in 2011.  UbiSoft were the western distributors and certainly advanced some of the funds for development but the release was all down to the owners of the property - 1C/Maddox Games. 

By 2011 Maddox games had ceased to exist as development costs overwhelmed Oleg's own resources.  1C pulled the plug on further development of the CLoD engine in 2013 as it was basically going nowhere. 

You needn't take my word for it. Here's what Ilya Shevchenko - lead dev of CLoD - had to say about it in 2013;

"Your general criticism is spot on. We shipped a product that had too many technical issues for us to really focus on finer elements of gameplay. There had never been a point, we're not even there today, where we could sit back, look at the code, and say, hell, what a great foundation, let's build a great game on top of it.

The GUI especially is our Achilles heel. Like I wrote earlier in the thread, somebody somewhere before I ever showed up chose to make it in a horrible clumsy environment called WPF. By the time I showed up it was too late to go back, and going forward proved extremely painful. Each new screen took forever, everything was clunky, tiny changes or bug fixes required insane amounts of effort, and in the end it took a tremendous painful effort to reach the decidedly insufficient GUI that we have today.

It's extremely painful and frustrating for everyone involved. Believe me."

As for the flight model of CLoD being "way beyond"  the old IL2 1946, it is basically done in the same way as old IL2 1946 - that's why it has the same 'on rails' quality. 

Is there any denying that CLoD is a beautiful piece of work?  Well.......yes.  Obviously it's all in the eye of the beholder but as a Londoner myself I can tell you that south-east England is not quite the land of swamps and river deltas that CLoD presents us with.  Hopefully, Team Fusion will be able to do something about this.

" But here is the rub. Most of us novice combat pilots don't know didly about FM's. And for the most part, we could care less. The Old IL-2 proved this as many of the aircraft had the identical FM of other aircraft. But all we wanted as novice fighter pilots was to enjoy ourselves for a few precious minutes each night. And so except for a few knowledgable folks who raised such questions, we were oblivious."

You were oblivious?  I take it you were never a member of the UbiSoft IL2 forums where the FM discussions and accompanying chart wars of this huge, active community were epic, endless and often hilarious?  None of Oleg's aircraft shared the same flight model.

"The key to marketing a product is to have a fairly reasonable turn around or product release. If they had spent the time and effort, not to count the money, then BoS/BoM may still have not seen the light of day."  

When it was shut down the CLoD team was fifty-five strong.  That's a lot of effort over a long time to produce a turkey. I won't try and count the money spent on these salaries and associated office costs. 

"Now in their attempt to tackle alleged cheating issues with BoS/BoM 1 CGS has initiated a NO mods rule. Well anything to stem cheating I applaud. BUT, this also stymie's any immediate future in community involvement short of submitting your work to the devs for consideration."

Er....that's not what has been said.  BoS has never had a mods on/mods off mode like RoF and mores the pity as you're quite right; it does stymie community involvement.  This has had nothing to do with cheating.  However, it has been hinted that we may indeed get a mods on mode.

"So should you buy CloD? Well you'll never find a better piece of work at such a bargain basement price now will you?" 

Absolutely right!  Just remember to apply the Team Fusion patches and enjoy. It's still a remarkable piece of work.  I understand the desire to turn Oleg into some tragic hero - and why not?  His original vision gave a great deal of pleasure to a great many people but at the end of the day he simply bit off a little more than he could comfortably chew.

Remember; never eat anything bigger than your own head! :icon_e_salute:

First Arthur let me thank you for your feedback and corrections to my statement. Which I admit are rather lengthy and worded. As a matter of a personal opinion I think UBI had a lot to play in this but in the end it did fall to 1 CGS to pull the plug.

As for the terrain surrounding London, I can not question your comment as though I live in East Anglia for 8 years I am way far from being an expert in this. Would it have been similar to this (what CloD displays) in WW2? Just curious.

To me the FM's seemed better but I simply repeat that in my defense, I know noting of FM's.

A team of 100 would not make much difference if they were not lead properly. We're learning that here in America. I still think that Olegs dream was a good one IF not practical for the time.

I did not frequent the Banana forums that much but I did read there a bit. 

As for BoS/BoM and mods I was referring to this post ...

"

SAFE AND FAIR PLAY

To ensure our game is fair and fun for everyone, we do not tolerate cheating or fraudulent behavior.

Fraudulent service providers are often involved in illegal activity, hacking and scams; these activities hurt innocent people, in addition to being unfair to other players.

To help us create a great gaming environment, and to safeguard your account and device from abuse, please steer clear of the following dangers:

1. THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE
Third party software consists of unapproved apps that manipulate gameplay. By altering game functionality, third party software aims to provide unfair advantages while potentially putting players’ ccounts and privacy at risk.

Third party software includes:

• Hacks, “mods”, or programs that unfairly alter game functionality
  • “Bots”, or gameplay automation services or scripts
  • Any other programs that aim to modify or provide unearned progress"

...in the BoS forums. And not to mods on/off. But your correct, I wasn't clear.

Thanks again for the clarifications on this.

Salute ... :icon_e_wink:

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

#32 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 August 2016 - 14:57

Banana forum..............can i eat that? no idea what that means :icon_eek:

But what a relief for once reading a topic and get descent answers here without some trying to talk the other one down

#33 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 18 August 2016 - 17:31

allrighty, bought it on steam and downloading it while we speak.

only hope updates work on steam aswell....

#34 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 18 August 2016 - 18:17

From the ATAG site - How to install the patches, and a beginner's guide: http://theairtactica...?t=5058&p=52711

EDIT: Oops! Just realized that Pirato already posted this link earlier on. Apologies.

In exile.

#35 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 18 August 2016 - 18:57

From the ATAG site - How to install the patches, and a beginner's guide: http://theairtactica...?t=5058&p=52711

EDIT: Oops! Just realized that Pirato already posted this link earlier on. Apologies.

no problem, thnx Marko!  :icon_e_salute:

#36 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 18 August 2016 - 19:08

no problem, thnx Marko!  :icon_e_salute:

Thanks Marx! Better twice posted than none. ;)

In exile.

#37 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 18 August 2016 - 19:11

.... and i always thought BOS was the better newer follow up of CLOD.

Ok, so Marx got some answers to that question, but I need to take it a step further:

a ) With the Team Fusion patches, is CLOD now as good as (or better than?) BOM/BOS?

b ) Price aside, if someone had to choose one, why choose CLOD over BOM/BOS, and vice versa?

In exile.

#38 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 18 August 2016 - 19:34

Holy Mackinaw! :blink: Have you guys seen Chuck's Guide? That thing is massive (668 pages) and an amazing undertaking! At first glance, I'd guess it'd be a great reference (not just a "guide") for any WWII sim. One can't help but tip their hat to someone who creates something like that. https://drive.google...ew?pref=2&pli=1

Here's the link to his "Chuck's Guide to Cliffs of Dover" thread where you can find the guide link and other stuff: http://theairtactica...ead.php?t=16592

In exile.

#39 Red_Bommel

Red_Bommel

Posted 18 August 2016 - 19:44

a ) With the Team Fusion patches, is CLOD now as good as (or better than?) BOM/BOS?

b ) Price aside, if someone had to choose one, why choose CLOD over BOM/BOS, and vice versa?

a ) that´s a question you better not ask  :icon_lol:  "The answer" splits the community.

b ) can´t answer that since I like both for different reasons.

#40 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 18 August 2016 - 20:09

It's very much matter of where you get your kicks from; strong points of CloD are completely different than BoS/BoM. I don't know the history as well as Chief (wasn't there), but by the look on Il2 1946 and CloD and hearsay, CloD was developed from old IL2 and tried to improve and replace weakest parts of that sim... graphics and cockpits and damage models... while keeping the strongest point from old game, flight physics, mostly unchanged. The results is sim that has graphics and interactive 3d cockpits looking five years ahead of RoF/BoS, bolted around physics models that's five years behind RoF. Of course, this simplicity comes with benefits, like ability to handle more people in MP. 

So, it's question of what you enjoy the most. If you love to manually start your engine by clicking mouse on each switch, down to opening the fuel cocks, and you don't care that the plane feels artificial (CloD feels more like being pushed by distinct, separate forces driving you forwards/sideways, while RoF/BoS feels more like riding the overall net force, CloD behaviour at egdes of flight envelope is best described as random shaking etc) - then CloD is ideal for you. If you are stick and rudder person less than thrilled about having to repeatedly click manual fuel pump handle, you will have your fun with CloD but likely you won't stay. Most people land in the middle :).

Oh, and landings in CloD are so much less frustrating than in BoS :)

|                                                                      |  BoS  | CloD | DCS |

-----------------------------------------------------------|----------|--------|--------|
|Clickable cockpit, detailed plane systems :|  NO    | Yes   | Yes |

---------------------------------------------------------|----------|--------|-------|
|Good physics and flight dynamics              |  Yes   |  NO  |  Yes |

-----------------------------------------------------------| ---------|--------|------- |

|Good looking scenery, weather etc:           |  Yes   | Yes  |  NO  |

|__________________________________|_____|_____|_____|         

It's Battle for Britain! It has much more interesting scenery to fly over than endless fields in Russia. It has Hurricanes :wub: . With Team Fusion patches, it has good single player content that's fun while it lasts. I can't fly Digital Nature sims without force feedback and my FFB2 is broken, so I have to fall back to sims with no/bad FFB support like CloD, because they don't feel bad with spring stick! OK, the last one won't happen to me again, thanks Pirato, I see you reading this thread ;).

And, the price is a factor. There is no excuse not to buy both CloD and BoS. Don't expect CloD to stay a permanent part of your simming life (it may, but there is no guarantee), but at its current price you should buy it to see what it has to offer. If it costed as much as BoS (50-60$), I would be advising you against buying it. But at 10$? 

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users