Photo
- - - - -

Need to turn a Searchlight on

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tempest5

Tempest5

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:44

I had this down. But failed to backup a hard drive and now rebuilding what I have. I had a mission where I triggered a searchlight on as a German plane flew through a Checkzone connected to a German searchlight. I thought I had everything connected right. But nothings happening. It's for a single player mission. What is missing in this setup screencaptured below?

Mission Begin-->Trigger Timer (set for 1 sec.)-->Trigger Check Zone (set for 500 m radius to be triggered by German, Allied and Neutral ground/air units)-->Command Effect-->Vehicle(Benz searchlight truck  AI set to HIGH). I know I'm missing something but I can't figure what. Looked at the editing manual and Youtube but it just can't solve this. I'm sure it's something simple. Eventually I want to set this up to turn off.after a period of time. But right now I'm struggling to get this light on.

searchlight_zpsys5hvtco.jpg

#2 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:08

Possibilities: wild guesses actually, in case no-one who knows what they are talking about comes up with the answer.

1) The mission time is not after dark  ;)

2) The checkzone circle does not include the searchlight object or the plane entering the zone is still too far away from the searchlights to target. 

I managed to get some searchlights to search for me for my last video intro screen without using any mission start, command, checkzones etc: just four searchlights set as linked objects. You could try just making the searchlights "Entente", if it does not somehow mess up the rest of your mission.

Good luck!

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#3 Tempest5

Tempest5

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:14

Thanks for your prompt reply.

1) Mission is late at night 2300 hrs.

2) I moved the searchlight vehicle out of the Checkzone. Plane doesn't enter the Checkzone to early. Searchlight still didn't come on.

3) It worked before as German. I don't want to make them Entente. I save the GROUPS for reuse.

I had it set up in a mission(since lost in a crash). Where the German plane approaches a German airfield and the searchlight comes on in the distance to mark the field. I then have it shutoff by a timer. Plane comes in on a airfield approach lit by a string of bonfires and 3 white flares over the hanger area. Took me a while to set it up-but it worked like a charm.

And I didn't backup the mission or save the GROUPS. :^(

Got the fires and flares set up. Just can't find anything on the Searchlight. I think the answer was in some mission I downloaded that now shows 404 error.

#4 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D 13/6/2018 veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 01 August 2016 - 14:53

I had this down. But failed to backup a hard drive and now rebuilding what I have. I had a mission where I triggered a searchlight on as a German plane flew through a Checkzone connected to a German searchlight. I thought I had everything connected right. But nothings happening. It's for a single player mission. What is missing in this setup screencaptured below?

Mission Begin-->Trigger Timer (set for 1 sec.)-->Trigger Check Zone (set for 500 m radius to be triggered by German, Allied and Neutral ground/air units)-->Command Effect-->Vehicle(Benz searchlight truck  AI set to HIGH). I know I'm missing something but I can't figure what. Looked at the editing manual and Youtube but it just can't solve this. I'm sure it's something simple. Eventually I want to set this up to turn off.after a period of time. But right now I'm struggling to get this light on.

Presumably you're referring to a searchlight truck (quad_p). These are autonomous, not classed as an effect and not dependent upon triggering; in darkness they lock on only to aircraft of enemy coalitions. For the effect you want, I suggest that you set the searchlight's coalition to an enemy of German and deactivate it on mission start. Then use your checkzone to activate the searchlight when a German plane enters. In effect all you'll be doing is reducing the searchlight's covered area.

Also remember that your graphics settings detrmine the maximum number of light sources visible simultaneously, regardless of their proximity.

#5 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 01 August 2016 - 15:22

S!

Search light trucks are the same as AAA trucks.  They come on when an enemy is within a certain distance and turn off when the enemy leaves.  No real need for check zone or complex trigger.

German plane  turning on a German search light does not work.  When  activated, the search light will only shine for enemy planes. It is built into the AI of the unit.

sig9.png

#6 Tempest5

Tempest5

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:21

Arty_Effem and JG1_Butzzell I can't thank you enough. :icon_e_salute:

It worked!

That was the ticket- Make it British OR Neutral. The above set up would work without the Check Zone I suspect. (because they came on right away before I hit the Check Zone. I need the Check Zone to shut off the searchlight- I'll figure that down the road. I just want to mark the field.

I'm on  vacation for 2 weeks starting tomorrow and will investigate this further when I get back.-and have a screen capture how I shut the lights off. Because I know I did that in the past. Just a short cone of light in the distance to mark the airfield then they shutoff.

Funny-I must have forgot it will work with opposite coalition searchlights from the aircraft (or Neutral).

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users