- - - - -

Need Help With Joystick Problem

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 18:33

Hi There.I'm having problems getting ROF to see my Saitek x55 rhino joystick and my x52 works,but the throttle is reversed. both work fine as I checked their status in the device manager.can somebody help?thanks :icon_mad:

#2 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 26 July 2016 - 19:03

go to in game settings and reverse throttle curve.

#3 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 19:22

ok,but what about the joystick?

#4 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 19:45

lol,I don't see where to reverse throttle curve.when I was running the game in windows xp  when the game first came out,the controls worked,but the fps was bad so took the game off.

#5 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 26 July 2016 - 19:54

In options.

Attached Files

#6 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 26 July 2016 - 21:11

Just to elaborate that to reverse the curve like Klugermann said, you click "Invert" as seen where Demon's cursor is in the picture.  

RE:the joystick, I read that the X55 doesn't use a ps2 cable like the X52. Both throttle and stick use their own USB cable. Make sure both are plugged in before you load up RoF.

Have you loaded up the game controller panel through Windows to test the settings for both there? In Windows 7, this is through Devices and Printers or by entering "joy.cpl" (no quotes) in the Start box. You mentioned device manager, which is different. What version of Windows are you running now as it doesn't sound like you're still running XP?

In RoF, what happens when you try to change a button setting in Controls using the X55 stick? Does it get accepted? If not, does the X52 throttle get accepted if you try to assign the a button?

Have you tried any other games with this combo? Do they work or not?

You must have your reasons for using this combo. What were you using before? Full X52 hotas? Full X52 hotas? Something else? Were any of them working recently? Maybe there's something still registering from that combo.

In exile.

#7 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 21:44

hey 719.my buddy setup my new "gaming rig" last sunday.yes,both controls work for a new version of falcon BMS that we installed.I have windows 7 and tested both in the control panel.I'm going to print this thread because I'm not doing something right. thank you guys for helping.may need more help later.

#8 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 26 July 2016 - 22:21

Sounds good. At least knowing they work in falcon and that they test ok in the controller panel helps narrow things down for you. I hope you get it worked out.

:icon_e_salute:

In exile.

#9 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 22:36

ok,I figured out how to assign functions,but I'm stuck how assign the yaw,pitch,roll,etc on the joy stick.I'm getting duplicate assignments whichcan't be right.when I turn left,it goes right and starts spinning out of control.

#10 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:27

So RoF can see your X55 stick now? You're making progress.

I have never had to assign pitch, roll, or yaw with any stick before. It seems to always have been there by default.

But .. if you have added new assignments, look at what's there and remove the one that you added, then see how it goes. Duplicate settings have that white double-page icon. You should have something like: Pitch=joystick-0 Y; Roll=joystick-0 X; and Yaw=joystick-0 T. The other two slots are taken up by the original settings for keyboard and mouse.

Worse case is that you can click on "Defaults" and start over setting things up.

In exile.

#11 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 13:35

good morning 719.I will try your suggestion,thanks. :icon_cool:

#12 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 21:33

hmm,still having trouble.

#13 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:03

hey 719.as I stated,instead of getting of pitch=0Y,Roll=0Xand yaw=0T[already assigned] I get 1Y,1X,etc.when I try to program.

#14 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:43

Much better to keep things in one spot.

Ok, so you get 1y, 1x, etc. for the joystick. Is this how RoF saw it by default, or was this after you went in and selected "Plane control: pitch", selected a column, and then assigned pitch using the joystick, clicked Apply, then Apply again? Same for roll and yaw, of course.

I had something similar when I had to swap out my X52 stick for my older Evo stick. I just checked an old action file for that setup and see that the Evo was assigned to zero (J0, etc.) and the throttle had the one, (J1, etc.), whereas with the complete X52 HOTAS, all assignments used zero, (I'm guessing) most likely because the stick went through the throttle and was seen as one complete device. Regardless of the settings, what's the game response to your assignments as you had described them? Are you able to use the stick and throttle as assigned?

The other thing that pops into my head is to plug in the stick first, then the throttle, in case it's a first come first serve thing with the system, and so that the system assigns the zero to the stick and one to the throttle. I'm not really sure if that's how it's done, but I'm throwing this out there. My guess is that regardless of what the system identifies that device with, once you assign an axis or a button with that device in RoF, RoF knows where it is and what it needs to do, and it should work. I can't imagine that the stick MUST be J0 and the throttle MUST be J1 to work, but you never know. Crazier things have happened.

Btw, if you do get it to work like you want it to, immediately save (export) your actions file, just in case it reverts things later.

Depending on your answers, we can also talk about manually editing the actions file later if needed to test things out.

Remember to provide as much details as you can.

Edit: Btw, I think I remember reading a thread long ago about how to wipe out all stick and/or HOTAS assignments, so that you can start fresh.  You'd have to do a good search on the forums to find that.

In exile.

#15 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:58

I decided to do a quick search for "Assignment". Off the first page, there was a good post by Dudley in a thread about stick and rudder combos, where he mentions the use of a tool to change the IDs. Have a look. If it needs to get to that point, we at least have something else to try.

http://riseofflight....ns/#entry642585

In exile.

#16 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 13:32

hey 719.why doesn't ROF auto detect the joystick/throttle?FSX  and most of my sims do.anyway,to answer your question,the defaults were for using the mouse except yaw=0T.

#17 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 14:18

ok,making alittle head way.in the responses box I see movment for the axis but they they are reversed.turn left,goes right,turn right,goes left.up and down are ok.throttle is still reversed and the box inverted is checked. 

#18 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 29 July 2016 - 15:05

I thought it auto detects too.

If things are reversed for some reason, just do invert for them. And if throttle is reversed with inverted checked, then un-invert it. Looks like things are backwards for you. I've only ever seen throttle being reversed, as there are tons of post requests about how to fix that, but I've yet to see a post to have to invert the other axis.

Regarding you making a little head way, was it related to anything I posted? Whatever was done (right from the beginning) that helped make progress should be documented here, because the more info you provide in this thread, the more info will be available for anyone having this or a similar problem in the future. It minimizes or negates the need to reinvent the wheel in the future that way. You know what I mean?

Pioniere719

In exile.

#19 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 16:46

yes sir. :icon_e_salute: I wll try unchecking the invert box and see what that does.

#20 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 17:49

yay,unchecked invert box and joystick works now.but,throttle is still reversed.[assignment=engine control=.throttle=0Z..

#21 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 29 July 2016 - 19:14

This is good to hear! If you were only flying the Eindecker, then we wouldn't have to worry about the throttle! ;)

So for now, you go in game and throttle works, but only back to front no matter whether you choose 'Invert" or not. This is what you're saying, right? And when you changed your settings, you did "Apply" twice, correct?

Make sure you save/export your Responses to a new file. Now click "Defaults", then test your throttle again, and if the default isn't right, then try "Invert" again. I can't see why "Invert" isn't working. It should be one or the other. If you had "Invert" assigned for the throttle when you saved the Responses file, open that file with Wordpad (or any text editor), and you should see RPC_THROTTLE,0,0,1,0 in the last line of the first section. The 1 indicates that it is inverted. If it is, I'm not sure what to do next. Hopefully, someone else can pipe in if they have an answer.

Let us know what you find.

In exile.

#22 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 19:57

ok.will keep you posted.

#23 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 31 July 2016 - 16:26

hey 719.on a different topic,I'm guessing you have bought planes from the store?.how do you save them in the event you need to reinstall the game?.do you save them to a cd?. thnx.have not tried on the game  lately.been busy. :icon_cool:

#24 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 31 July 2016 - 19:54

I haven't had the need to reinstall yet, but from what I understand, after you reinstall and you provide your RoF login details, all your purchased items will be there. 777 has them tied to your account.

In exile.

#25 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 31 July 2016 - 20:02

ok,cool.

#26 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 02 July 2017 - 16:53

ok,having problems with this again.I recently had to reinstall the game because it was not updating.now my x55 throttle is reversing again even when I check the inverted box.also I'm losing some functions even after I save them. need help please.oh yeah, both are working under windows device mgr.

#27 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 02 July 2017 - 20:26

Hmm - hard to tell exactly what's going wrong without more info or screenshots of your settings pages.  Are you sure you're hitting "apply" before you're trying to save your files?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:  RoF SPAM killer markings-25.jpg

#28 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 03 July 2017 - 00:12

yes I'm hitting apply.sorry,can't send screen shots as I tried before.it's got me baffled for sure.

#29 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:14

You should just be able to attach your screenshots to your posts here on the Forum, if you save them as .jpg files that are less than 10 MB in size.

As to your problem of "losing some functions even after I save them", are you by any chance unplugging/re-plugging any of your controllers or other USB devices between tests that you're running?  Every time you plug or unplug a controller you run the risk of Windows re-assigning different IDs to the controllers, which in turn screws up how RoF sees the controllers and thus can really mess up your controller assignments in the game.  

Been a while since I had controller problems so I haven't really messed around with the settings and inverting mechanisms in a while.  But I did go in and check some things - one thing that jumped out at me was to make sure you are making your "invert" setting while you have "all planes" selected, so you don't make it on one plane and then test it/have the problem again on another plane (see screenshot below):

Attached File  RoF - Roll joystick assignment.jpg   346.17KB   2 downloads

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#30 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 03 July 2017 - 13:04

hey panthercules.I don't know why,but I've never been able to save screeenshots for anything.just doesn't work.all planes is checked,not an issue.I have noticed after checking the invert box and hit apply for the throttle,I'll go back later and see the invert box is unchecked.why would it not be saved after hitting apply? :icon_e_sad:

#31 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 03 July 2017 - 16:24

hey panthercules.I don't know why,but I've never been able to save screeenshots for anything.just doesn't work.all planes is checked,not an issue.I have noticed after checking the invert box and hit apply for the throttle,I'll go back later and see the invert box is unchecked.why would it not be saved after hitting apply? :icon_e_sad:

No idea - never experienced that myself.  Unless you're doing something like a recovery, or loading in an older version of your custom file (e.g., like if you hit "apply" but then didn't save/export the file, then reloaded the earlier version of the file), or switching between plane types so that the "all planes" isn't always selected - though I don't know how likely any of that would be - I don't know why that setting wouldn't "stick".

As to the screenshots thing - what happens when you hit the PrtScrn/SysRq key in game, then later open Windows Explorer and go look inside your main Rise of Flight folder - do you not see any .bmp files piled up in there (with funky file names like "2017_6_5__23_55_39.bmp")?  If not, you should probably check in your "Options" controls settings screens to make sure the print screen key command hasn't been reset to something else.

Attached File  RoF - Screenshot key command.jpg   269.09KB   1 downloads

#32 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 03 July 2017 - 18:22

ok,will try it again.

#33 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 03 July 2017 - 19:14

well,I tried.nothing showed anywhere in the ROF folders as I was looking for something with today's date.also checked entire drive,nothing.the options command was correct.oh yeah,have not unplugged either joystick or throttle.guess I will have to use the throttle as is until a solution pops up.

#34 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 08 July 2017 - 22:18

ok,been tinkering for afew days trying to get this throttle to work .anyone know the in's and out's to saitek rhino x55 throttle?it took me awhile but last winter I finally got both joystick and throttle working.afew weeks ago the game would not update so I reinstalled.the joystick is ok, but can't figure out the throttle.tried inverting,etc.someone suggested attaching screenshots but I'm not able to do it.

#35 O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon

Posted 13 January 2018 - 00:18

ok,been tinkering for afew days trying to get this throttle to work .anyone know the in's and out's to saitek rhino x55 throttle?it took me awhile but last winter I finally got both joystick and throttle working.afew weeks ago the game would not update so I reinstalled.the joystick is ok, but can't figure out the throttle.tried inverting,etc.someone suggested attaching screenshots but I'm not able to do it.

Did you manage to fix your issue. I am the same stays in the reverse what ever you do ?

#36 BlueMax1957

BlueMax1957
  • LocationVirginia,USA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 00:46

yes,all is working fine now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users