Photo
- - - - -

Editing 'landtexturesquality' or 'mask' files for costume trees?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 17 July 2016 - 13:12

Hello. I've been repopulating the Verdun map with small towns, hamlets, airfields, and farms. I've figured out the substrates, but I can not get costume trees to appear. I can edit the 'mask' files, but only the ground shadow texture appears where I edit the file. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to actually get trees to appear? Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 18 July 2016 - 00:23

Hey Steppenwolf - if you ever do figure out how to make the tress appear, could you maybe take a look at my ziz-zag forest thread (here: http://riseofflight....orest-zig-zags/  ) and see if anything you're doing here might help with figuring out how to get rid of these crazy zig-zag edges on the forests near the trench lines?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#3 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:19

Of course. That looks really distracting.

#4 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 19 July 2016 - 13:27

Looking very good steppenwolf!

I am away for quite a while and don't know if I remember correctly. But the mask will only draw the texture as you can see.

The globalforest file can be changed accordingly and the trees will appear. But its very low resolution, so no single trees and placement possible.

If you want single trees, there two ways I know of, both need alot work  and I just simplify now:  ;)

First is to draw a new landscape-texture (with alpha-channel = trees, but you also need to generate treefiles...) and place it at the correct place of the map.

Example of Avesnes-le-Comte:

avesnes_wip3.jpg

Second, rework the verdun map with channelmap-shaders, so you can build custom substrate-textures which support trees.

Look at this Pic, I draw a new substrate texture and placed a treeline:

treeline.jpg

I think most of the info hoe to get there is clustered in various threads ;)
I would love to help out more, but I have no time anymore for this hobby :(

But maybe I can  give some hints here and there.

#5 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 19 July 2016 - 16:03

Thank you! Very nice work on those substrates, really crisp. I tried to make some for my larger towns, and jeez what a headache! I will try the global forest file first and see what results I can get with it. I'll post back anything cool. Thanks again! 

#6 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 19 July 2016 - 18:10

Is this maxed out grapics?
I'm a bit with jealous, with my mid age computer...

#7 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:04

Paf, you're right, the global_forest method is not for fine detail.

This got me curious about your second method. Is that row of trees above the red line attached to that particular substrate? Meaning, wherever you move the substrate in the editor those trees will follow? If so, why not make random clumps of trees that can be manipulated within the editor like any other 3D object or substrate? So you can work in real time, and not in masks and tiles.

#8 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:12

I would love to help out more, but I have no time anymore for this hobby :(

Sad news :(

sig.png

#9 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:09

Is this maxed out grapics?
I'm a bit with jealous, with my mid age computer...

This is what I use. I7 2600k/ 660 Ti.

Attached Files

#10 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 20 July 2016 - 19:02

Paf, you're right, the global_forest method is not for fine detail.

This got me curious about your second method. Is that row of trees above the red line attached to that particular substrate? Meaning, wherever you move the substrate in the editor those trees will follow? If so, why not make random clumps of trees that can be manipulated within the editor like any other 3D object or substrate? So you can work in real time, and not in masks and tiles.

Yes, you can define treerows with the substrate-texture.

Problem is, you need the shaders from the channelmap, which supports this. Verdun map can't do it. If you update Verdun map with the newer shaders it will be a new map I think.

No easy task.

The first method is also much work, but you can use it simply as a mod for the actual verdun map.

Ankor once released a Tool for exact these purposes. I gonna search some old threads....

#11 Dunkers

Dunkers

Posted 18 August 2016 - 21:42

Hi chaps. Following this with interest as I've just started experimenting with making the airfields less generic on the English side of the Channel map. I haven't tried making any new substrates yet, although I'm happy with positioning the ones already in game, but is it possible to edit the originals? If so, where can I find them as my data/graphics folders don't have anything that I can see to open and edit.

Cheers.

#12 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:22

Hi chaps. Following this with interest as I've just started experimenting with making the airfields less generic on the English side of the Channel map. I haven't tried making any new substrates yet, although I'm happy with positioning the ones already in game, but is it possible to edit the originals? If so, where can I find them as my data/graphics folders don't have anything that I can see to open and edit.

Cheers.

It's possbile. Here's everything I have for the Channel Map. Copy/Paste everything into 'graphics/landscape_channel'.

To make new substrates though, open 'texture' file and look for all the text under '[layers]'. Add: '25 =graphics\YOUR TEXTURE NAME.dds'. Do this for every substrate you want to add, numbering sequentially. You'll need to look here in the forum for how to alter with Alpha Channel and save substrates properly from within GIMP or PhotoShop, there's a guide. Good luck!

Attached Files

#13 Dunkers

Dunkers

Posted 25 August 2016 - 20:43

That's excellent news - thankyou very much for these. Much appreciated. :icon_e_salute:

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users