Photo
- - - - -

felixstowe - won't climb...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Valiant_1

Valiant_1

Posted 15 July 2016 - 23:26

I'm new to the forums and did a search for this but came up empty. So if this has been answered please redirect me to the propoer post and then move or delete this topic. thanks.

I'm trying to do the "new home" channel map mission and I can't keep the airspeed up enough to climb for more than a couple seconds (even at 1 notch over level). I keep losing airspeed even at level flight. So I have to nose down to keep it over 80 or it wants to stall. It also takes an unbelievable amount of back pressure on the joystick or it wants to go into a power dive.

I'm using the standard difficulty settings, a t16000m flight stick, saitek rudders, and facetracknoir. If someone has any idea how to fix this I'd appreciate the input. Thanks

#2 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 15 July 2016 - 23:34

Set the mixture for max rpm.

#3 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 15 July 2016 - 23:45

A few things spring to mind...

• Are you climbing too soon? The Felix is a very heavy boat, so trying to nose up too soon will result in no energy, and then you'll have to keep hauling the stick back to keep it even level. Instead, if you climb very gradually, you can sustain the airspeed.
  • Is this only at take-off, or is it after you have been airborne for a while. If it is at take-off, it may be that you are being hampered by the waves, preventing you for getting enough take-off speed. Ensure you take-off into the wind and, once airborne, level-off until you pick up some in-flight airspeed.
  • If this a high-altitude thing, are you simply too high? Aircraft performances drops off significantly at higher altitudes. Especially the seaplanes, as they have a lot of extra drag from their hull or floats.
  • Tune the mixture constantly to ensure you get maximum RPMs.
  • Have you overloaded the plane? If you take maximum guns, turrets, bombs and fuel, it will struggle. Try reducing the fuel, or leaving off some of the weaponry and see if that helps.

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#4 Valiant_1

Valiant_1

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:07

The engine mixture and radiators are on auto. I was hoping that the AI would regulate that for max rpm.

I'm definitely not too climbing too soon and I'm trying minimum nose up to climb and I have no problems taking off.

I can't even climb at a very slow rate for more than a few seconds and if I go over land my lift deceases dramatically I stall and my wing dips - ends badly... Very annoying... It's like trying to fly a brick.

I was halfway to the Isle of Grain before I was able to reach 600 meters altitude and I was constantly being blown off course.

I'll need to check the load-out, but I would think that it should be able sustain level flight with max rpm and auto mixture on - even fully loaded.

If running empty and taking the mixture off auto-magic will fix it I guess that's worth a try, but other missions will require a load-out.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll give it a try later on and see what happens.   :icon_e_salute: 

#5 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:25

#6 Valiant_1

Valiant_1

Posted 16 July 2016 - 14:20

Well I managed to make it with the mixture on manual, half a tank of fuel, and no load. :icon_e_biggrin: It's weird because the airspeed varies so much  (80-125 km/h) that at times it needs half-stick back to keep level flight and other times it almost flies itself. I even flew back to the start and made it to 1900 meters altitude.

Thanks again for the help guys. I'd still hate to have to fly it loaded though :icon_eek:.

Keep flying :icon_e_salute:

#7 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 16 July 2016 - 16:21

Loadouts

It's a big, heavy aeroplane... so expect it to be slow.

Additionally, you can put far more stuff onto it than it will cope with, so you need to make a strategic decision about your mission to determined the correct loadout. For example:

• If you are U-boat hunting, sure, take the Davis gun. But then leave the bombs and some MGs behind.
  • Level bombing mission? Forget that Davis gun, and you can probably lose a couple of MGs too.
  • High-alt photo-recon? Forget the bombs and Davis gun. Be selective with the MGs.
  • Gunship? Lower the fuel, remove the camera, bombs and davis gun and then cram in the MGs.

Also, 100% fuel will give you 6 hours in the air. Chances are you don't need all that fuel.

Tune your response curves

It is good to be able to take your hands off the stick and have it gradually climb or spiral up. Another trick is to temporarily switch to mouse-control to let you carry out the long slow climb. Then switch back to joystick for the operational action in the mission.

Your varying airspeed is probably a mix of being on the brink of stall, and by being heavy-handed on the stick. The latter is likely to be a result of having a poor response curve. This means you need to hang on to the stick the whole time. Apart from being tedious, this adds some movement, causing the aircraft to pitch up (losing speed) and down (losing altitude). When you have a heavy load, this is critical, so tweak the response (or use the mouse) to achieve stability.

Some tests

If just did a test and used the following (assuming a bombing mission):

• 100% fuel
  • nose twin MGs
  • top-turret twin MGs
  • single rear-fuselage MG
  • 2 x 230 lbs bombs

I had no camera, Davis Gun or co-pilot MG.

It took me 10 minutes to get from water-surface to 500m altitude. My climb speed was about 110 km/h. I used manual engine control:

• Full throttle
  • Manually tuned mixture for best RPMs (approx. 60%)
  • Manually tuned radiators for 85-90 deg C (approx. half open)

I then climbed for another 10 minutes and got to 1000m without any problem. At 1000m, I could then use the auto-leveller for cruising to target, during which time it was doing about 130 km/h.

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#8 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:24

Just a thought have you checked your throttle responses.

Make sure what is full throttle is actually full throttle

sig.png

#9 Valiant_1

Valiant_1

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:38

Thanks for the additional info, xvii-Dietrich. It will definitely come in handy when I get to that point.

Yes, my throttle response is working perfectly, thanks for the thought anyway. It might help someone else who didn't think to check it.  :icon_e_wink:

#10 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 17 July 2016 - 18:26

Bear in mind that Felixstowe was designed for long, low altitude patrols. Expecting it to climb well over 2000 feet, or to climb fast with full fuel load, isn't much realistic. If you are set for 6 hours patrol at 500m, taking 10 minutes to climb there isn't much of handicap.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#11 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 July 2016 - 18:31

i tried once to do a photo recon with a felix, took me an hour to get to the hight and to the point i actually could take some photo's......but its fun to fly.

and if you are really comfortable, try a looping and a roll.....yes....it can :icon_e_biggrin:

#12 5tuka

5tuka

Posted 17 July 2016 - 20:31

80km/h is too slow. Usually I stick with 100-110km/h (~ 70-80mph) which seems ideal for the big bombers and will keep you away from stalling the airplane by mistake.

Also you've to keep in mind those aircraft don't have constant speed properllers so the faster you go, the higher your RPM and the more your thrust. If you fly too slow your engines will run at lower RPM and overheat quicker. To counter that you have to increase your cowl flaps opening which again adds drag and makes you slower.

#13 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 02 August 2016 - 15:15

i tried once to do a photo recon with a felix, took me an hour to get to the hight and to the point i actually could take some photo's......but its fun to fly.

I've experienced this in last Saturday's mission on FiF. Was tasked to do a Trench Mapping recon flight with a Felix... took me ages to get at 4K feet (guess 15 to 20 minutes) where I could start taking pictures. No bombs and only 50% fuel. Then I got jumped by enemy scouts and died - not before downing one of them, though. It's not suited to do this kind of mission (slow and not maneuverable, I can think of better planes for that), but it sure is a flying fortress regarding sturdiness and defensive firepower, and enemies will hardly get you without paying the price too. 

#14 Valiant_1

Valiant_1

Posted 02 August 2016 - 17:49

I appreciate all the help and advice guys. I believe that I have all the relative information and was able to complete the first mission with 1/2 fuel and auto mixture turned off so I could maximize rpm manually.

With that I personally consider this post closed and will no longer be following the comments.

Fair skies to all,

Valiant_1

#15 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 October 2016 - 16:45

Very helpful.  Thanks.  I had a similiar issue yesterday with my HP and suspected it was my piloting skills, but I was not using the automix (you wuss! ;-)  ) and just figured it was my bad adjustments...hell now I won't even try the auto mix if it is that "off".

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users