- - - - -

How to install the Skinpacks?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Julius_Buckler

Julius_Buckler

Posted 07 June 2016 - 17:06

Hello Gents,

i just wanted to install the Historical and Fictional Skins for RoF, but i won't work. I've downloaded them all (it automaticial opens with 7Zip), and put them in a Folder. When i double click on a pack, it says (fictional vol 1):

You need 2 Gb on current drive to extract installation files. Begin extraction?

After clicking on yes, this appears:

non 7zip archive

What do i do now? I'm a little bit confused, since i don't have much experience with the game or installing these packs. Can u guys help me?

Thanks in advance :icon_e_salute:

#2 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 07 June 2016 - 19:40

That means you have corrupted files (pretty common, unfortunately).

Panthercules has a set of links to them here, as do we on our New Wings site here (need to be logged in to NW site to access). 

In terms of installation, it's pretty simple once you have a downloaded file that isn't corrupted.  You can click on it as you did, and it will extract and install to the default area for RoF (so, make sure it has the proper path if you installed RoF somewhere other than the default).

Also, it's a good idea to install the pack in numerical order -- the reason is that some of the earlier packs had skins that were later corrected and added into some of the newer packs. 

Hope that helps.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

#3 Julius_Buckler

Julius_Buckler

Posted 08 June 2016 - 13:33

Thanks, i'll try it out right away. Looks like that my skinpacks were outdated, there were only 10 available  :D

#4 J30_von_Hammer

J30_von_Hammer

Posted 08 June 2017 - 21:35

it's been a long time since I installed skins, and things changed around.

I found the Useful Materials page and see Vol 19 skins. I tried a download, and got a warning that the files are not commonly downloaded and could be hazardous. I do not have the Run option for some reason. I did find the folder in the Explorer/Downloads folder, all unzipped and I see the folder tree and place files.

Start Fresh, and probably help other new folks:

Step by Step, how does one download and install a skin pack these days? I'm not seeing detailed instructions on the page with the skins Surely a new person would be lost.

Thank you for the assistance

Daniel

#5 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 June 2017 - 22:50

it's been a long time since I installed skins, and things changed around.

I found the Useful Materials page and see Vol 19 skins. I tried a download, and got a warning that the files are not commonly downloaded and could be hazardous. I do not have the Run option for some reason. I did find the folder in the Explorer/Downloads folder, all unzipped and I see the folder tree and place files.

Start Fresh, and probably help other new folks:

Step by Step, how does one download and install a skin pack these days? I'm not seeing detailed instructions on the page with the skins Surely a new person would be lost.

Thank you for the assistance

Daniel

First - some AV programs will choke on the files from the official links/servers because they use "reputational" type algorithms and don't like it when they see .exe. files from Russian sources that haven't been D/L'ed enough times to meet their AV criteria threshholds.  You may have better luck D/L'ing them from the alternate links I've made available (see here: https://riseofflight...ge-alternative/ ).  I don't have Vol.19 versions on there yet, as I've been at work since the release came out - will try to update stuff like that tonight when I get back from work.

I think your questions about installing skin packs will be answered in this thread: https://riseofflight...g-related-info/  (especially the skin pack FAQ linked to in that thread).  If you still have questions after perusing that, feel free to post here or PM me and I'll be happy to try to explain things better.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:  RoF%20SPAM%20killer%20markings-18.jpg

#6 Maushake

Maushake

Posted 11 June 2017 - 00:34

I downloaded the vol.19 skinpacks, but when I then tried to run RoF, I got an error #10027 'Packed data verification' -- it said it couldn't run in mods-off mode.  So I then downloaded from the alternate links you gave above (it seems you did manage to add vol.19 links?), in case my original files were corrupted somehow and could be overwritten by clean ones, but still got the same result.  

Then I went through all the skins folders, following the readme files for both skinpacks, and deleted every file listed, tried to run the game, still no luck.

I also noticed that there were some stray sub-folders in the Skins folder, apparently mis-named and containing nothing at all ('Brequet 14', 'F2BF2', 'R8', and 'SC'), so I deleted those empty folders, but still got the same error message when trying to run the game.

What can I do now?  Do I have to run 'Recovery' from the start menu, which I know will wipe out everything -- all the skins from all the skinpacks, as well as joystick assignments, view settings, preferences, etc.?  Or is there some other way to deal with this that's less drastic?

S!

Maus

#7 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:32

I downloaded the vol.19 skinpacks, but when I then tried to run RoF, I got an error #10027 'Packed data verification' -- it said it couldn't run in mods-off mode.  So I then downloaded from the alternate links you gave above (it seems you did manage to add vol.19 links?), in case my original files were corrupted somehow and could be overwritten by clean ones, but still got the same result.  

Then I went through all the skins folders, following the readme files for both skinpacks, and deleted every file listed, tried to run the game, still no luck.

I also noticed that there were some stray sub-folders in the Skins folder, apparently mis-named and containing nothing at all ('Brequet 14', 'F2BF2', 'R8', and 'SC'), so I deleted those empty folders, but still got the same error message when trying to run the game.

What can I do now?  Do I have to run 'Recovery' from the start menu, which I know will wipe out everything -- all the skins from all the skinpacks, as well as joystick assignments, view settings, preferences, etc.?  Or is there some other way to deal with this that's less drastic?

S!

Maus

Click the "Update Button".

You have to be quick 

#8 Maushake

Maushake

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:38

Ah, that seems to have done the trick.  Thanks so much!

S!

Maus

#9 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:16

Do I have to run 'Recovery' from the start menu, which I know will wipe out everything -- all the skins from all the skinpacks, as well as joystick assignments, view settings, preferences, etc.?  

Glad you got it sorted (updating the game was the key) - but I wanted to correct the above misconception.  Doing a recovery doesn't "wipe out" everything (certainly not skins or anything like that).  What it will do is reset your game settings (graphics, etc.) to default values.  Not a big deal, but certainly a nuisance if you haven't prepared for it.  I recommend taking a screenshot of the launcher settings screens (graphics, sound, etc.) that you have before you do a recovery - that way you can very simply just put the settings back the way you want them after the recovery is done.  You should also have taken advantage of the game's ability to save down your joystick/controls/input settings into a file with a custom name (whatever you want to call it, but something custom other than its default name) - that way, if any future update or recovery sets those back to defaults, you can just load your custom settings files back in and you're good to go, without having to re-assign everything.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:  RoF%20SPAM%20killer%20markings-18.jpg

#10 Maushake

Maushake

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:57

Thanks for the clarification!  I knew about saving named joystick profiles, but it's good to know exactly what else will and what won't be set back to 'default' values when Recovery is selected.

S!

Maus

#11 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 11 June 2017 - 13:39

Glad you got it sorted (updating the game was the key) - but I wanted to correct the above misconception.  Doing a recovery doesn't "wipe out" everything (certainly not skins or anything like that).  What it will do is reset your game settings (graphics, etc.) to default values.  Not a big deal, but certainly a nuisance if you haven't prepared for it.  I recommend taking a screenshot of the launcher settings screens (graphics, sound, etc.) that you have before you do a recovery - that way you can very simply just put the settings back the way you want them after the recovery is done.  You should also have taken advantage of the game's ability to save down your joystick/controls/input settings into a file with a custom name (whatever you want to call it, but something custom other than its default name) - that way, if any future update or recovery sets those back to defaults, you can just load your custom settings files back in and you're good to go, without having to re-assign everything.

I would to add one thing to that,( recovery ) save your start-up file too, not only saves the graphics, sound, etc. but also saves your "Log-in" info.

You have to be quick 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users