Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Mod to Reduce Bullet Effective Range to 100 meters?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 C.M.Bailey

C.M.Bailey

Posted 02 June 2016 - 22:54

Is some kind of simple "cut off" point on bullet effectiveness range like this even possible? Is a more nuanced solution also perhaps possible?

#2 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 22 July 2016 - 22:24

lol don't we wish,

#3 JG1_Barton_J4

JG1_Barton_J4

Posted 18 August 2016 - 23:19

Even Richthofen was hit in the head from 300 yards by a rookie. I'm sure bullet dispersion and effectiveness is fairly accurate but the caliber of virtual pilots people have developed into through dogfight servers allows them to be far more accurate at range than any real pilot of ww1 ever had the practice to become. I think the better way of going about it is to improve the damage model so that it's more complex than simply oiling an engine when hit, especially when the shooter is 200 yards directly behind you
An engine DM the caliber that IL2 CloD has would be very nice indeed.

#4 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:10

Server admins need to turn on wind and turbulence.  Oh the wailing and nashing of the teeth that will be heard, but long range sniping problem will mostly be solved...

#5 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:26

Server admins need to turn on wind and turbulence.

Isn't it up to the mission builder and not the server?

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#6 TexPeabody

TexPeabody
  • LocationGuess

Posted 25 August 2016 - 14:27

Texans can nail a gopher at three hundred yards adjusting for weather conditions. Further out it is crap shoot! A limit on accuracy seems reasonable.

#7 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:21

Are Texans shooting gophers from a bucking canvas and stick airplane at 300 yards?  No???

Limit on accuracy is not the way to go, but to model (or in this case actually utilize) the real world variables that caused a limit to accuracy.  It's in the game already, there just has to be a will.

@ Hillbilly, really now, mission builder vs. server, aren't you just nitpicking?  Then go pick your nits or whatever floats your boat...

#8 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 26 August 2016 - 13:58

'Shooting Stars', the super-noob easy server, does in fact have noticeable turbulance and wind effects. If other icon servers do it's not as bad.

Surely WG does ? (I can't remember). In the name of 'full real' and all that  ;) .

Aren't these effects set on a mission by mission basis ? Can these conditions be relatively predicted as per time of year / day etc. ?

Obvoiusly if the weather's a bit stormy on the map you would expect a bumpy ride...

Speaking of full real, I'd like to see the correct 'rates of fire' incorporated into the MP arena. A couple of go's offline with the mod and I liked the feel of it.

That would go a bit to addressing the the issue raised.

And how about realistic re-loading times ? And limited flying capabilities as you're re-loading ?

But actually I never found someone shooting at 300M+ to be much of a worry. You get the odd ping and hole in the fabric, but usually nothing too serious.

My shooting woes are the pilots who can take you out, almost every time, from any position, in the blink of an eye.

I shoot down 100's of planes a week, can post good %, outfly the best every now and again.

But I can't think of once getting one of these 'instant' kills, even by accident, even on an IG server.

I watch my bullets pound cockpits, engines, and wings from close range, pass after pass, to little effect.

Then some noob shooting at 2% vignettes me in one pass :lol: .

I should maybe experiment offline again, see if it's a MP latency issue or whatever - like I know what that really is ? :huh:

:icon_e_salute:

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#9 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 26 August 2016 - 14:09

@ Hillbilly, really now, mission builder vs. server, aren't you just nitpicking?  Then go pick your nits or whatever floats your boat...

Bandy   I was pointing out that there is NO server settings for wind and turbulence, This is set in the Mission Editor, sorry you took it as a insult.

#10 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 26 August 2016 - 16:07

Texans can nail a gopher at three hundred yards adjusting for weather conditions. Further out it is crap shoot! A limit on accuracy seems reasonable.

How do you fair at jack rabbit shooting over the cab of a bouncing pick-up? ;)

#11 TexPeabody

TexPeabody
  • LocationGuess

Posted 26 August 2016 - 19:26

16 gauge, #6 shot. Rabbit is DOA when approached at 30mph thru plowed field. Albeit, range well below 300 yards.

#12 J2_Mr_Tree

J2_Mr_Tree

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:44

Server admins need to turn on wind and turbulence. Oh the wailing and nashing of the teeth that will be heard, but long range sniping problem will mostly be solved...

I can see how that would change the accurracy. Problem is when going for hihg alt bombing is far more difficult (for me near impossible your just making educated geusses instead of beeing sure to hit).

This fact mixed with the targets allready not beeing consistently destroyed and the fact that for every try that could go wrong you'll have to climb all that altitude again in combination with the fact that you need at least 30min to get a proper hifh alt bombing of leads me to believe we would have even less bombers than we have now.

If no one bombs we just have a dogfighting game and not a ww1 sim.

However. There might just be a solution to that issue like inceeasing mission time so bombers can make more runs. (Other people probbably disagree with this) there mighr be better solutions then increasing that time. I am just trying to state that what I am saying is not law and is just speculation on what effect a change can have when it isn't thought thru.

Salute
Mr. Tree

#13 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 19:28

Chaps.

*In my humble opinion.*

It's not the range of the ammunition that is the core issue

it's the ZOOM scope built into the game.

Tell me how far you would whack a hare with a .22LR with peephole sights?

Then add a good scope.

How far now?

Further, the same, less further.

I understand the problems of in game vision, it's not easy to fix, if at all

But by simply adding zoom to over come some fundamental issues will cause other new ones.

one such new issue is shooting out to ridiculous distances.

My simple but not elegant solution would be to:

lose tracers, lose streamers.

( but they look so pretty...)

this may make long range snipping more difficult.

It also could make up close and personal fighting easier.... Less visual clutter.

Salute!

Plank. ( Terrible shot, beery swine and lancer.)

-

Captured again!

#14 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 17 September 2016 - 00:38

The 'Scopes' don't give any additional zoom.

The relative size of visible objects is the same looking through the scope as looking to the side of it.

To the best of my knowlege / estimation, when one is fully zoomed in one is 'seeing' at approximately the focal length of our own eyes. (35 - 50mm)

i.e. Things are the actual size they would appear to us in real life.

Because most of us are restricted to viewing our virtual environment on a smallish screen, only a tiny bit of our actual vision can be replicated at any one time. (The size of your screen)

This is why in-game we are able to zoom out. To let us see more around us and replicate part of our peripheral vision. (around 50% of which is still missing when fully zoomed out).

Just as when reducing the focal length of a zoom lens (zooming out), in-game suffers some of the same side-effects when doing this...

Importantly here objects appear smaller the further one zooms out.

So when one is utilising a zoomed out view in-game, one is doing so to compensate for a lack of real life vision.

The side effect of this is, as mentioned, that planes, trees, everything you see appears smaller than they should.

Thus making things like spotting more difficult, although resolution limitations play a big part in this too. (where some get a real advantage over others with 4k setups and GPU's to drive all the extra detail.)

There's nothing to "fix". You can't replicate real life vision on a screen.

Fully zoomed in is how things should look,  it's the zoomed out views that are the compensation.

Seeing in real life is by far easier than on our screens.

So no zooming advantage with or without scopes in the game !

:icon_e_salute: .

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#15 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:33

Hmm.

Well I was looking down the barrel of a Spandau a wee while ago fully zoomed and that balloon at 2000m looked pretty darn easy to hit.

Too easy.

and that is my last say on the matter. ( Dinners on and almost ready to mash the potatoes! )

Meet me at NFF and lets duel it out, I have been practising in the S-16... it's grand! Best out of three!

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users