Photo
- - - - -

A HOW TO: PS3 Eye camera external IR filter DIY adapter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 26 May 2016 - 19:47

This is a How-To for making your own PS3 Eye camera external IR filter DIY adapter.

Attached File  PS3 Eye Camera External IR Filter Adapter.jpg   78.61KB   35 downloads

Earlier this year, while trying to get my DIY TrackIR working using a PS3 Eye camera, I struggled to get my infrared LEDs to light up in programs such as Opentrack or Freetrack, etc. I had done the mod that removes the IR blocking filter in the camera, replacing it with floppy disk as was recommended by many people, but it didn't work for me. I started to think it was my LEDS or my assembly, but then I came across a helpful thread written last year by EmerlistDavjack - http://riseofflight....-cheap-heres-h/. In his thread, he suggested using an actual camera 850nm IR pass filter. To quote him directly with what ultimately caught my attention and became the solution to my problem, he wrote: "Stop messing around with overexposed films and floppy disks and buy an IR Pass filter"! He couldn't have been more correct, because it works nicely!

So, great advice in hand, I ordered a camera filter off ebay - http://www.ebay.com/...9kAAMXQaZxSDxpb. Before it arrived, I opened up my PS3 Eye camera and removed that crappy floppy disk, then reassembled the camera. Once the camera filter arrived, I tried to set it up on my camera using elastics as per the picture that EmerlistDavjack provided, but found that it wasn't an ideal solution, because the filter would fall off with any movement of the camera.

I came up with a solution that worked much better for me and looked nicer. After that, with the generous help of 1PL-Husar, I got Opentrack working well, and haven't looked back (except to check my six ;))

Even though EDtracker has caught my attention recently now that it works with RoF, I'm still using OpenTrack with my DIY TrackIR setup for the time being. I figured that many people out there are also still using a PS3 Eye camera with OpenTrack, or FreeTrack, or TrackHat, or FaceTrackNoIR, etc., so I thought I'd create a simple, albeit crude, graphic tutorial for those who are interested in using an external camera IR filter and making this adapter themselves. If you can't find the parts that I have suggested, try to find something similar based on the measurements and ease of use. I'm sure someone can improve on my version, but for now, this should hopefully be a good starting point. Just click on the graphic below to view a larger version of it, or right click on it to get the option to save it.

Attached File  PS3 Eye IR Filter Adapter Tutorial.jpg   160.17KB   76 downloads

Cheers!

Pioniere719 :icon_e_salute:

In exile.

#2 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:30

My goodness an camera filter. Genius!

( I was using a "congo blue" gel filter... it was blurry...)

Salute!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#3 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:43

Who knows. Maybe that'll help smoothen things out for you. I know it did for me.

S! :)

In exile.

#4 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:29

Dear Pioniere,

Yes! I think a proper glass filter will rule out my wonky filter causing issues, which at the time of 1p were not an issue

but now with 3p it so is.

That and dust on the sensor... Oh dear.

No dust and no wonky bits!

Salute!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#5 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:56

So do you find the ir filter better than the floppy disk, if so what improvements did you find.

#6 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:56

Dear G.

The "band pass" filter is Key to using your set up with normal light etc.

With an unflitered camera sitting on your monitor pointing into a well lit room you will

see quite a lot of non IR light. Especially sunlight.

With the band pass filter in place you will block that out BUT not the IR.

I have no idea what spectrum the floppy disk is blocking but it sounds terribly crap.

My cheap as all heck bandpass filter is quite good. ( Theatre lighting Gel: "Congo Blue")

and I am sure the proper glass camera filters will be much better.

I get mine in the mail tomorrow or the next day.  I hope...

To witt:

Normal light filter ON = only IR leds nice and bright, the room is black.

Normal light filter OFF = IR leds the same but now I can see everything in my room.

I would seriously try out a good IR bandpass filter or deep blue gel filter at the least.

Salute!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#7 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 29 September 2016 - 16:29

Graham, it made all the difference for me. At the risk of sounding corny, the difference was like night and day. ;)

I can't count how many posts I had read saying the diskette method was the bee's knees, so I laid trust in it, thinking it was something wrong with my LEDs, my soldering, etc. That was until I found out about the IR pass filter in EmerlistDavjack's thread. That saved the day for me in regards to at least getting my LEDs steadily recognized by the programs. As an aside, I still don't know how he managed to keep that filter attached with elastics alone. :blink:

.. and Plank's post above this (thanks for that!) says a lot information wise, but specifically "I have no idea what spectrum the floppy disk is blocking but it sounds terribly crap." is bang on! I couldn't have said it better. B)

Pioniere719 :icon_e_salute:

In exile.

#8 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 29 September 2016 - 17:01

Thanks guys , will give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users