I recently had problems with my Saitek X52 (standard) joystick that I remedied using neodymium magnets. I wanted to share my experience with those who use the X52 standard or Pro, or perhaps anyone else who has a joystick that uses magnets, where this mod might be able to help like it did with the X52.
Essentially, I want to say that it is an easy fix and most importantly, it works, so don't be afraid to do it!! You won't be sorry (unless you decide not to do it).
My stick had heavy roll drift issues, and some slight pitch control issues. In Saitek properties, my lines were spiking and jumping all the time. If I managed to get them straightened out in properties by moving the stick through its motions, it wouldn't last long, because in game, I'd eventually and quite quickly start experiencing control issues again. I also tried to apply some deadzones in the properties to no avail. I even opened the stick up and did a little bit of cleaning, but that didn't help either.
I decided to do the magnet mod as per Trooph's video: https://www.youtube....GZSx7UaVU#t=151. He also does a throttle potentiometers cleaning video. Although I haven't had a need to do it, I'm providing the link for those who are interested: https://www.youtube....tEkO1p1Rj7EZWmZ.
I originally intended on ordering 0.47 inch neodymium magnets, but for some reason, I ordered a ten pack of 0.3 inch magnets. They still worked fine.
I added two neodymium magnets to each of the four magnets that are already in the joystick. This procedure is quite simple as you can see in Trooph's video: pinch a magnet between your two fingers and bring it close to the installed magnet. It will quickly snap into place in the correct position. Repeat for the other magnets. Try one round of four first and then check your properties. If you need more, add more.
I'm guessing that with the 0.47 inch magnets, I might have gotten away with using one magnet instead of two on each of the existing magnets. With the unit open, and the cable plugged in, I was able to watch the sliders in the Saitek properties. Roll was stable, but pitch was still a hair off to one side, so I added a third magnet to that affected side, and it straightened out right away. In properties, it stays solid like a new stick. In game, it was a night and day difference to what it was before. Everything is of course, better.
Sadly, the downside to this fix is that now I can only blame poor gunnery or bad formation flying on myself.
EDIT: August 12, 2016
The magnet mod (which I still recommend) was great while it lasted, but it appears that my stick was getting too old to keep up. Either the original magnets were getting worse or the ps2 cable connecting the stick to the throttle was deteriorating. I had enough of constantly having to recalibrate, so I decided to upgrade my stick to a Thrustmaster T.16000M as per this thread: http://riseofflight....00m-bit-review/