7 replies to this topic

#1 raker

raker

Posted 24 May 2016 - 18:55

EdTracker, an alternative solution for ingame viewing

#2 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 24 May 2016 - 19:24

Thanks for the video and for letting us know!

Dr_Romeo_Chair mentioned back in February that they were working on getting it compatible with RoF. I guess they've finally done it.

It looks good and is quite smooth.

Nice landing by the way (even with a broken strut :)) It was so gentle that I didn't even realize you transitioned from air to ground.

Pioniere719 :icon_e_salute:

In exile.

#3 raker

raker

Posted 25 May 2016 - 14:00

Though the image is a bit jerky but I think that's because my pc is just an i3 with an nvideo 420 board.

The advantage is that it isn't affected by sunlight etc. and the package is quite small to fix to your headset. I mounted it using an MPU 6050 instead of the 9150 which would give much better stability though it's more expensive. 

The limitation is that it has only yaw and pitch axes. But I configured some buttons on my home-made throttle controle to get the zoom and translation ( up-down and left-right ) axes which leaves nothing to be desired. 

The video shows the kind of precision you can get since I also hadn't realized I had landed.  :icon_e_smile:

#4 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 25 May 2016 - 15:16

I'm using Opentrack with a DIY setup. Even with good settings that 1PL-Husar helped me with, my movements aren't anywhere as smooth as what I saw in your video.

That lighting advantage is significant, since many people suffer from those effects. I don't, but others do, from what I have read. It's definitely a plus for EDtracker, as is that super small box that you mount on the headset.

So did you order the pro or did you order the parts and solder it up yourself?

The limitation is that it has only yaw and pitch axes. But I configured some buttons on my home-made throttle controle to get the zoom and translation ( up-down and left-right ) axes which leaves nothing to be desired. 

One concern I had was that it didn't have side to side movement, but later in the video, I saw that you shifted over to the right, and I breathed a sigh of relief ;). So how did you configure things to overcome the limitations? I wonder why EDtracker wouldn't have this all good to go?

The video shows the kind of precision you can get since I also hadn't realized I had landed.  :icon_e_smile:

hehehe .. :icon_e_biggrin: .. now that would be a good advertisement!

In exile.

#5 raker

raker

Posted 26 May 2016 - 17:04

I bought the arduino and mpu5060 online and mounted both on a small piece of protoboard. True it doesn't have the lateral movements but I use the native delete, end, page up and page down commands available in ROF, though I saw brumster100 make an adaption for IL2-CoD.

I tried it but it didn't work for ROF. In any case I prefer using the buttons to get the lateral movements. The movements are quite smooth and any jerkyness is due to my video board which I'll be changing soon. And then you can control the speed of the movement in ROF. So it's fine for me.

https://goo.gl/photo...KYtjRsCCAv67H56

This is a pic of mysetup. Still a project in progress. And can be used for COD and BOS when I get these.  :icon_e_smile:

Ah, I also used opentrack but had some problems configuring the roll so I gave up on it... for the time being since I don't have any desire to use roll... and use just the Edtracker software.

#6 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 26 May 2016 - 20:28

Those are the snap views adjustment keys, which move in tiny increments. I'm curious to know how you adapted their usage for side to side movement?

Can you get them assigned to the joystick or your stargate-board buttons?

Sad to hear that EDtracker is limited to only 3 DoF. I actually didn't realize that until I watched the CloD video you posted. :(

Cool DIY board! :)

In exile.

#7 raker

raker

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:43

Those are the snap views adjustment keys, which move in tiny increments. I'm curious to know how you adapted their usage for side to side movement?

Can you get them assigned to the joystick or your stargate-board buttons?

Sad to hear that EDtracker is limited to only 3 DoF. I actually didn't realize that until I watched the CloD video you posted. :(

Cool DIY board! :)

These are configured to work with the stargate board but they can be used from the keyboard. I used them from the stargate cause it was the original ideia. The second keyboard was added later. They correspond to centered snap view ( I think) and are the delete, end, pgup and pgdn keys in the standard keyboard config in ROF.

The speed of the lateral and up down movements can be adjusted in the ROF options/camera tab. mine are set at 25% to get a slower movement which makes it look incremental.

I put some other pics that could help you get the ideia of how it works. Will put up more details of the construction of the box.

Try mounting a command box. It's easy and less expensive than the warthog and fun to make it just they way you like. Ah, on my joystick I only use the red trigger and the black lever below to recharge. Haven't decided what I'll use the other buttons for as yet. May be when I get to Cod and BOS... :icon_e_smile:

https://goo.gl/photo...KYtjRsCCAv67H56

Had to open the keyboard to find out the different matrix corresponding to each key (button). But this I'll have to do over cause when I use the ingame chat it would activate the command of the configured key/button (which it shouldn't / have to check why). So I intend to use just the F keys and symbols and avoid letters and numbers.

About the stargate board, maybe you could find something equivalent. :mellow:

My next project is to make an extension in pvc for my warthog...heard you can get more precise movements.. :icon_e_smile:

#8 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 27 May 2016 - 14:37

Thanks for the explanation and the pics raker!

Even though I mentioned the keys move incrementally, in your video, it looked smooth as if it was done via head tracking, so I would have never known if you didn't tell me.

I think making a command box like that would be a bit over my head at the moment. :unsure: It definitely looks like a fun project to do, though.

For those other buttons you need to figure out, get the coffee machine hooked up to one, and maybe some way to make Caipirinha to another. :icon_e_biggrin:

For the pvc extension, IIRC, someone else on the forum does something like that, so it's definitely doable.

Cheers!

In exile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users