Graphics and Visual Effects
Responsive Updating Process
Mission Builder Capability (we think)
Campaigns (Career)

Bad
Mission Loading Times
Full time Internet Authentication
Clunky Controllers Setup
No "Quick Mission" Option (but a good community alternative solution by "Laser"!)
No Replay Function
No Offline ability after registration
Auto Updating
Mission Builder very complicated user unfriendly
pay per plane!

Very Bad
online activation

#2 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 24 November 2009 - 19:47

Most of what you mention is being addressed, alot of it in 1.009 actually.

You have obviously made the business model (pay-to-fly) one of your main targets. There was a poll on this forum showing approx 80% of this forum support this business model. It is not new, combat flight games have sold individual planes going back to the early 90's. SWotL sold individual planes on 5.25" floppy discs for $15 each. More recently alot of flight simmers have played FSX, where single planes can cost up to $100! For a quality plane -$8 USD is fair.

As for having to be online to play, that has bothered some people, nobody more then the crowd on the Pirate Bay. I can't see this changing any time soon.

#3 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 24 November 2009 - 21:09

There was a poll on this forum showing approx 80% of this forum support this business model.

Well online polls are always unscientific (and easy to subvert). So technically speaking, that's probably not as much of a factor. In the end, game design is not democratic anyway (it's a business, not a government). Neoqb provides a service and a product and you either like it (or can tolerate it) and therefor pay, or you don't like it and you don't pay. But the one thing you you can't really do is "vote" for them to change their minds. Even if 100% of the people on that poll hated the pay-to-play model, neoqb still has every right to make the product they want to make.

Voicing your displeasure with the model? Great (though, the more thought-out and less "gut reaction" comments are likely to be the only ones worth reading). Demanding that neoqb change because of some "populist revolt" against their game? Good luck with that because, if anything, it would just have the opposite effect.

#4 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:45

You know its funny how people complain about this game requiring an internet connection to play. One of my favorite games and a very popular one in the FPS community had the same requirements and that was Battlefield 2142. I didn't think of it till the other day, but anytime you try to get into Battlefield 2142 regardless wether you wanted to play single or multiplay, the first thing you have to do is login, you can't play the game unless you do, so this game is not the first.

Online activation? If you use Windows you know who to blame for making this popular, and I guarrantee it isn't going away so I would get use to it.

#5 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 25 November 2009 - 17:52

You know its funny how people complain about this game requiring an internet connection to play. One of my favorite games and a very popular one in the FPS community had the same requirements and that was Battlefield 2142. I didn't think of it till the other day, but anytime you try to get into Battlefield 2142 regardless wether you wanted to play single or multiplay, the first thing you have to do is login, you can't play the game unless you do, so this game is not the first.

Online activation? If you use Windows you know who to blame for making this popular, and I guarrantee it isn't going away so I would get use to it.

I get the impression, and maybe I'm wrong, that the majority of flight sim fans are pretty exclusive to flight sims only. The reason I make that guess is because I've frequently made references to other games and been met with lots of "no never played that". I'm much more of a gamer that dabbles in flight sims, rather than a flight simmer.

I think gamers are probably much more comfortable with online log-ins (MMOs, Steam, Windows Lives, etc.) than most flight simmers.

#6 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 25 November 2009 - 18:54

I get the impression, and maybe I'm wrong, that the majority of flight sim fans are pretty exclusive to flight sims only. The reason I make that guess is because I've frequently made references to other games and been met with lots of "no never played that". I'm much more of a gamer that dabbles in flight sims, rather than a flight simmer.

I think gamers are probably much more comfortable with online log-ins (MMOs, Steam, Windows Lives, etc.) than most flight simmers.

Yeah I have to agree with that, I am more a gamer than a dedicated sim fan. Honestly I have always enjoyed flight sims, and I own several, but unless there is some sort of entertainment value to it I really don't care for it. ROF seems to have a good balance to satisfy both, I mean you can make it as realistic as you want, or make it simple and fun for those of us who enjoy a good game.

#7 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 25 November 2009 - 19:58

That's a good point about the player base. Flight sims are almost the only type of computer game I play. I also didn't like the idea of having to connect to a server to play offline, but after what happened to Il-2 it's probably for the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users