Photo
- - - - -

Please, can we have an option for Refresh Rate?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Seany

Seany

Posted 22 November 2009 - 18:44

Can we get an option to set the refresh rate that ROF operates at? Either in the ROF Launcher or in the .cfg file. At the moment ROF is picking its own Refresh rate and for me that means 60hz even though my desktop is @120hz and my monitor can do 120hz. I do not want to turn off Vsync because that causes tearing. Also, the difference in (input and panning)smoothness between 60hz and 120hz on my monitor is like night and day, it's not just a matter of frame rate.

Please can we have this simple option? Thanks 8-)

#2 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:54

You still have a CRT monitor? Because LCD monitors don't use refresh rate.

#3 Seany

Seany

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:48

? No, I have an LCD screen. All LCDs have a refresh rate in hz, what do you mean they don't use Refresh Rate? :). Maybe its a language thing, I can only guess that you mean some LCDs can't (or don't usually need to) change their refresh rate? Well, some of them can. My 22" Samsung2233rz can do 60,100,110 and 120hz at 1680x1050 and currently ROF is choosing to use 60hz with no possible way to change it. Quite a few LCDS that are 22" or smaller can do 60hz or 75hz.

I can't believe no else here cares about this, or seems to understand the problem :shock:

#4 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 24 November 2009 - 21:16

Refresh rate refers to the rate that a CRT screen scans frames across it's screen. Every fraction of a second, an updated image is projected onto the glass screen. This is why people got headaches from CRT monitors…their eyes had a hard time absorbing all that constant updating. The higher the refresh rate, the faster the update. If you've ever seen video recordings where an active TV or monitor was in the background…you would have seen lots of weird horizontal lines. That's the refreshing.

LCD monitors, on the other hand, are lit pixel by pixel and therefor the updating of colors per pixel is instantaneous, or nearly so…crappy monitors can get "ghosting" but it's a different phenomena than the CRT problem.

#5 Seany

Seany

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:02

Yes, I understand what you are saying. But in windows display options, with an LCD monitor, you can still set the refresh rate of an LCD screen, most of which are locked 60hz because their refresh rate is constant. Some LCD's, like mine, allow you to select different "refresh rates" for the screen eg. 60hz, 75hz, 100hz ,120hz. Setting the refresh rate of my lcd from 60hz to 120hz makes input (panning view with trackir) much smoother and also greatly reduces the amount of crappy ghosting you normally get from a 60hz TFT LCD (because it can update the image faster). It also means I can have a frame rate of up to 120fps without tearing.

This is from a wiki on Refresh rate:

The closest thing liquid crystal shutters have to a refresh rate is their response time, while nearly all LCD backlights (most notably fluorescent cathodes, which commonly operate at ~200 Hz) have a separate figure known as flicker, which describes how many times a second the backlight pulses on and off. However they also have a refresh rate that governs how often a new image is received from the video card (often at 60 Hz).

#6 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:39

Refresh rate refers to the rate that a CRT screen scans frames across it's screen. Every fraction of a second, an updated image is projected onto the glass screen. This is why people got headaches from CRT monitors…their eyes had a hard time absorbing all that constant updating. The higher the refresh rate, the faster the update. If you've ever seen video recordings where an active TV or monitor was in the background…you would have seen lots of weird horizontal lines. That's the refreshing.

LCD monitors, on the other hand, are lit pixel by pixel and therefor the updating of colors per pixel is instantaneous, or nearly so…crappy monitors can get "ghosting" but it's a different phenomena than the CRT problem.

I hate to tell you this LCD monitors do in fact have refresh rates. Mine has 2 settings 60 Hz and 75 Hz, it is even mentioned on the companie's website and in the manual, and I doubt they would mention it if it weren't true. What you are talking about is response time, which is different than refresh rates altogether. The response time is the time it takes to turn a pixel off and back on again. Also I have gotten headaches from running my LCD at 60 hz just like a conventional CRT which is why I always run it at 75 hz.

#7 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 25 November 2009 - 18:04

Yeah I think changing the refresh rate for LCD monitors is basically another way of modifying the response time. Response time is measured in milliseconds (ie 2ms) not Htz. But refresh rate is still a hold-over term from CRT days. If they have a setting for it still, it's just them using the old term to describe the new concept (response time).

EDIT: Ok I just saw the wiki entry…that clears it up I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users