- - - - -

How to run the game on 'Monitor 2'?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LionOfNarnia

LionOfNarnia

Posted 10 March 2016 - 16:15

Hi everyone :D

I've just d/l the free-to-play version, got it as a bit of 'light relief' after 10 months of pretty intense 'Elite:Dangerous' action.

Hey, what can I say? I just fancied some 'old skool' combat action ;)

Biggest 'noob' problem I have is this:-

My '#1 Monitor', a 24" Samsung, is my desktop and is set 45* to my right.

My '#2 Monitor', a 32" Samsung TV, is straight in front of me & is the one I've been playing Elite on. (X-52 Pro screw-mounted to desk in front of it)

So far (& I have done a bit of searching here) I cannot find a way to have the game running full-screen on Monitor 2 only (1920x1200)

Can someone please tell me the fix for this?

If it can't be done then I'm afraid I just won't be able to play :(

Thanx in advance

"The Lion"

"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm the Lion & they were things"

#2 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 March 2016 - 21:25

Hi everyone :D

I've just d/l the free-to-play version, got it as a bit of 'light relief' after 10 months of pretty intense 'Elite:Dangerous' action.

Hey, what can I say? I just fancied some 'old skool' combat action ;)

Welcome to Rise of Flight! Although as a simulator, it can be intense at times, and has a steep learning curve, for those who keep at it, it is one of the most rewarding sims ever. That's not to say that Rise of Flight can't be relaxing. Just flying around in Quick Mission is a great way to blow off steam and the scenery is quite beautiful. :D

Biggest 'noob' problem I have is this:-

My '#1 Monitor', a 24" Samsung, is my desktop and is set 45* to my right.
My '#2 Monitor', a 32" Samsung TV, is straight in front of me & is the one I've been playing Elite on. (X-52 Pro screw-mounted to desk in front of it)

So far (& I have done a bit of searching here) I cannot find a way to have the game running full-screen on Monitor 2 only (1920x1200)

Can someone please tell me the fix for this?

If it can't be done then I'm afraid I just won't be able to play :(

Thanx in advance

"The Lion"

Hmmm...perhaps this article might help...
http://www.pcworld.c...ry-display.html

...or maybe this one...
http://gaming.stacke...-second-monitor

Also, in the "options" menu, you can set the game to "full screen" or not. In my copy of the game, the options menu comes up just before the game launches. 

Attached File  fullscreen.png   96.03KB   0 downloads

If those suggestions don't work, I'd ask the guys at "Tom's Hardware" your question. They've helped me through several technical debacles in the past. ;) (See link below)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/

Hope you're up and running soon mate. :) BTW, I like your name. I take it you're a fan of C.S. Lewis? Growing up, I read the Narnia series over, and over, and over again. :lol:

Salute!
- Hotlead

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#3 LionOfNarnia

LionOfNarnia

Posted 11 March 2016 - 00:11

No, those articles don't help :(

But thanks for trying.

I'm totally happy with my set-up as it is, for everything else I do.

Win 7 Gamer, Corsair Carbide case, 850w gold PSU, ASUS Z99 MoBo, i7-3770 o/c (with Corsair h120 liquid cooling) 12 GB RAM, HD7990, 120M SSD + 2 x 2TB HDs, SteelSeries Merc Stealth KB, R.A.T.7 mouse, X-52 Pro, Roccat PowerGrid, Logitech 550W 5.1 sound.

(and that's just my main PC, I also have an old i7 370 one, a new OctaCore one, and an i5 ASUS lappy)

If there isn't an easy way to get RoF to play fullscreen on the secondary monitor without sodding about (In E:D there's an option in the startup to decide which monitor you want it on) then I'm afraid it's the recycle bin for it, and 'thank furque I tried the free-to-play before I parted with any money'. In 2016 it's ridiculous that a game can't be played anywhere a user wants it. Bet it isn't VR compatible either.

But I'll leave it for now, give a chance for others to respond.

My 'handle' is the one I use everywhere, and my forename is Aslan. I'm easy to Google!

So yes, very inspired by the books as a young'un (a LONG time ago)

o7 Pilot Hotlead  :D

"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm the Lion & they were things"

#4 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:16

Uncheck the fullscreen mode. Set the resolution of the first monitor. The game will appear in the first monitor of your Nvidia configuration. If you want the game to appear in the other monitor, set the resolution of this monitor and interchange the wire connection of the monitors.

I have a R.A.T. 7, the dpi button is not working after 2 month of use.

#5 LionOfNarnia

LionOfNarnia

Posted 12 March 2016 - 18:14

No cigar.

The monitor I want it on shows as Monitor 1 in Control Panel/.../Screen resolution but the game still starts on the 'desktop' screen.

I've had my RAT7 for 5 years & it's still perfect, despite the layers of nicotine & grime.

#6 LionOfNarnia

LionOfNarnia

Posted 21 March 2016 - 00:15

I've uninstalled it.

I'll find something else to fly.

#7 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:37

Fuck it, I've uninstalled it.

I'll find something else to fly.

Good Bye

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#8 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:55

Just checking to see if this is still true...ROF_UE won't play on 2nd monitor...I must reconfigure my system to use larger display?...thanks...~R~

#9 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 16 August 2018 - 14:19

I have an NVIDA card and use multiple monitors in mosaic mode so I have never tried to run ROF on the second monitor in a non-mosaic setup but I don't think it is hard to do.

Go to the NVIDA control panel by right clicking on your desktop.  Select "Set up multiple displays." Change the primary monitor to the monitor you want to run ROF on.  Be sure to match your ROF settings to the resolution of that monitor.  When you are done with ROF, just reassign the primary monitor back to the way you had it.

Just curious but why don't you fly with both monitors in mosaic mode.  It is pretty impressive with multiple monitors.  To do that, after opening up the NVIDIA control panel, select "Set up Mosaic".  Click "Create a new configuration".  Select the right number of displays.  You can probably click "I am using the recommended connections" and then enable the mosaic.

After you are done with ROF, you'll have to go back and disable mosaic mode and set your multiple monitors back to the way you had them.  Supposedly you can save the NVIDIA configurations but I haven't figured that out yet.

#10 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:53

I'm running

Alienware 17 R3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5

16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz (8GBx2)

Not such a PC guru...have never run in mosaic mode...I /can/ swap monitors, and it runs fine, but then I must reboot, because I run with the hidden taskbar, and though it pops open after I close the game, only the outline shows, and I can't use it even to shut down the system. For a long time, my system was running fine.Then a few months ago, Windows ran an update that trashed my system. After trying many ways to recover, I eventually used an old image to revert to an earlier setup. After making small incremental changes to see if the system would be corrupted, I seem to be running OK, but no longer have the NVIDIA GeForce app running. Just now trying to install it. It seems that the Alienware wants to run the Intel on the laptop and the NVIDIA on the extended...not sure, but that's what it seems to me. I do run in the 'extended' mode...is that what you call 'mosaic'?

#11 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:36

The manual specifies a 'windowed' option, but mine is a checkbox for Full Screen, and it runs full screen by default, meaning that I can't move it to the 2nd monitor.

edit 2018-08-25: May have a work around...though I should not have to do this for any product...I

show desktop, minimizing all windows

unhide my taskbar

swap displays so that the RoF will run on the NVIDIA

after ending RoF, swap back and hide the taskbar...then it is visible the next time it pops

The downside is that I think I must be careful to minimize all windows, because if I don't, then all the open windows impacted by the smaller effective screen size get resized.

I'm still not SURE that RoF DOES NOT use the NVIDIA if I run it on the smaller display, becau9se I have marked the file to use NVIDIA and I have it listed NVIDIA to use it. If there is a way to learn this from the program, please let me know..l

~R~

edit 2018-08-26: Seems that Windows will resize windows that are minimized. I have two choices so far: reboot after running ROF on 2nd monitor, because the taskbar is transparent, or close all my apps before unhiding the taskbar and swapping displays. Then restore the displays, hide the taskbar, and reopen apps. Means no quick swap to run ROF for a break. I'd like a 3rd option, but web searches have not popped any solutions yet.

~R~

edit 2018-09-01: Video memory notes: Alienware 17R3, Windows 10 Pro x64
Keywords: Running on 2nd display, using graphics card, ROF video memory complaint.
I still cannot run easily on the 2nd monitor. There are steps that I can take to run there, but they involve closing all my apps, OR rebooting when I am done. Documented in another thread.
I /can/ apparently run on the NVIDIA card, which is usually dedicated to the 2nd display. I marked both Startup and ROF_UE to run using the NVIDIA card, and I then registered those programs with the NVIDIA control panel app. The result is that NVIDIA seems to indicate that ROF is using the card as it runs on the laptop, not on the 2nd display. I do not see a performance hit. Startup no longer complains about too little memory; in fact, it now reports that I am using less than half of available graphics RAM.

The upside is that I can simply run ROF for a few minutes when I get the time. The downside is that it then is not running on a larger display. Another post suggested that I might be able to run on both displays at the same time, for a larger (wider) view, but I have not yer discovered how to do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users