Photo

The Briton Scout that never was

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: The Briton Scout that never was (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree to adding these skins to mods-off mode?

1. Agree (10 votes [76.92%])

Percentage of vote: 76.92%

2. Disagree (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

Vote

#1 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 09 March 2016 - 20:11

I present to you a completely  fictional RFC skin for Sikorsky S-16, inspired by Bristol Scout. In-game S-16 is an excellent counterpart to Fokker E.III and I hope skins like this one will encourage using S-16 in "early" Western Front multiplayer maps, pretending to be British plane not unlike S-16 or Bristol were. 

a_Bristol_Scout.jpg

On the Bristol vs S-16 comparison: the two planes look nothing alike,  but they share more characteristics than I expected, including most dimentions, engine and, apparently, ease of handling. They differ in mass, speed and armament; Bristol was lighter, faster and better climber, but came unarmed; S-16 was heavier, slower, but came weighted down with Maxim MG, synchroniser mechanism and ammunition as standard. It's unlikely we will see a proper Bristol in RoF, the S-16 is asking to find more uses for it and Bristol with synchronised gun would lose some of its trademark performance, why not have fun with "British" plane of similar performance? So, here comes a  fictional scout that's definetly not a Bristol, but is really tries to hit same aesthetics and fill the same niche. 

The pack includes two canvas coloured skins, lighter clean one and greenish dark one. They are hard to tell apart in screenshots but differ when viewed side-by-side.

The S-16 engine skin bug is, unfortunately, still active.

2016_3_9__13_40_57.jpg

2016_3_9__13_41_8.jpg

2016_3_9__13_41_14.jpg

2016_3_9__13_41_16.jpg

2016_3_9__13_44_4.jpg

2016_3_9__13_44_13.jpg

2016_3_9__13_54_54.jpg

2016_3_9__13_55_4.jpg

Download link

https://dl.dropboxus.../S16_Briton.zip

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#2 ZachariasX

ZachariasX

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:32

Lovely! :)

#3 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:01

I am not sure if I should vote since I never fly mods-off, but I like your treatment of the skin. Looks like a freshly pressed linen suit, just right for lunch at the polo club. (The pilot needs one too).

So I voted yes!

Perhaps a serial number on the tail for some fake authenticity?

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#4 J99=Hardy

J99=Hardy
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:52

Perhaps a serial number on the tail for some fake authenticity?

+1

Like the idea, so I voted YES!

Maybe I'll put this idea into consideration for this years "Eagle of Lille".

img_3834.png

#5 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 10 March 2016 - 17:19

I know some guys did change the W12 to a W29 the EIII which was changed to a Bleriot, a Pfalz Etype and even a Morane. The Re8 to a Be2 etc.
I think the S16 and the Bristol mwha,

Think the title whould be better a British S16 fictional and forget the Bristol.
Btw Woff does have the Bristol
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#6 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 10 March 2016 - 19:53

Think the title whould be better a British S16 fictional and forget the Bristol. 

It's Briton, not Bristol :), I couldn't resist the pun.

In game it was called either "Fictional British skin inspired by Brostol Scout" or "Fictional British plane" (google translate can only get you so far).

You are right, though. I changed in-game descriptions to "Fictional British S-16" and updated the archive. Thanks!

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#7 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:57

Btw Woff does have the Bristol

Dutch. 

At one point in my WWI simulator career I had First Eagles (ThirdWire 2006), OFF2 then OFF3, HitR, then RoF ICE installed.  My mere mention that 777 had released a RoF campaign 'career mode' over at the OFF forum got me banned there. 

Maybe things have changed and they tolerate discussion of RoF on Woff forum, but I doubt it.  So for me at least, that is enough with your Woff comments, jibes, and overt recruitment.  Woff has its own forum, keep Woff 'spam' there or at least to the Woff forum topic (generously provided) and out of RoF threads.

As I say over and over, if you love WWI sims then there should be room on your HDD for both.

#8 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:09

Back on topic!

I present to you a completely  fictional RFC skin for Sikorsky S-16....

2016_3_9__13_40_57.jpg

2016_3_9__13_44_13.jpg

Download link

https://dl.dropboxus.../S16_Briton.zip

@Trupobaw, maybe you considered this, but might the Sopwith Tabloid be a closer visual match to S16?  Perhaps not close enough, but at least Tabloid is equally quirky to the profile of S16, so in that respect it may be more, ummm palatable...

Also, could alpha channel edit be used to reduce the 4 tires on the S16 to 2 tires???  Alpha channel edit could also be used to round the trailing edge of the rudder to look more like the Tabloid. 

BTW, not all Tabloids had the forward 'skis' on the landing gear.  Some Tabloids had forward firing Lewis armament (both overwing and deflector, see below), so again, having the S16 maxim is at least more in line.  Just a suggestion.

sopwith-tabloid.png

56-3.jpg

#9 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 11 March 2016 - 19:28

Dutch. 

At one point in my WWI simulator career I had First Eagles (ThirdWire 2006), OFF2 then OFF3, HitR, then RoF ICE installed.  My mere mention that 777 had released a RoF campaign 'career mode' over at the OFF forum got me banned there. 

Maybe things have changed and they tolerate discussion of RoF on Woff forum, but I doubt it.  So for me at least, that is enough with your Woff comments, jibes, and overt recruitment.  Woff has its own forum, keep Woff 'spam' there or at least to the Woff forum topic (generously provided) and out of RoF threads.

As I say over and over, if you love WWI sims then there should be room on your HDD for both.

I'm a great fan of WW1 flysims and I do have more than 10 WW1 flysims, even the Sikorsky game, I think every good WW1 game needs attention, only right now the left overs, [in a very small market] are only RoF and WoFF. 

Bandy, I had the same on Combat ace forum, even de OBD team members were bashing at me about RoF. As a result I did refuse to buy Hitr and deleted OFF3. I was one of the guys who did buy OFF3 DVD the same day as it was released and  btw RoF was the first game ever I did buy in preorder.

Believe me things have been positive changed on the Simhq forum, only criticism on WoFF, oeps, that is still a weak spot for those guys. My remarks about lack of Force Feedback in WoFF, did resulted in lots of bad pm and neglection, but I refuse to keep this still.   

I can tell you if new serious developments are going to happen about RoF [not the sales]  I'm also publish this on the WoFF forum, like I do this here for WoFF, when members are asking for planes that are in available in WoFF, as a sample.

After RoF/WoFF I think, no WW1 flysims will be on the market, only arcade or bad made garbage, so both games needs the publicity to keep WW1 still in the picture. Sorry  I'm not going to stop.

If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#10 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 28 March 2016 - 14:16

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users