Photo
- - - - -

Personal Skin of Silent Hastati

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Skin Vote (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Allow use of this skin in mods-off mode?

1. Yes (6 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. No (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote

#1 SilentHastati

SilentHastati

Posted 03 March 2016 - 18:16

Essentially the same skin as the other SPADs, as I wanted a consistent style, much like a real pilot might have across various planes. Figured the SPAD would be the one to cut my teeth on as the timeframe of ROF can be covered with just that series by going SPAD VII 150 -> SPAD VII 180 -> SPAD XIII.

Anyway, here's that livery on the XII, as usual it's a standard pattern with the fictional Cladah Ring squad logo and a H pilot signifier, as well as the purple tail.

zy9qBPo.png

5dWJIZJ.png
Hclh8lG.png

Link to relevant files

#2 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 03 March 2016 - 19:07

Here is some constructive criticism, so don't take it the wrong way, and of course you're welcome to leave it the way it is. :)   The first thing that my eyes are drawn to is the displacement of the H as it goes from the wing on to the right aileron.  I think you are going to want to adjust that so that the lines are contiguous...and that can be frustrating because it will likely take several iterations before the edges of that H line up.

The second thing I see is the saturation level and the level of darkening.  It seems a little light and washed out to me.  You can address this by making use of contrast and brightness controls in your paint program.   One way to achieve the "correct", or at least the "Rise of Flight standard" level of saturation and brightness is to look at a wide range of other paints and see what you think looks best, and then try to emulate that.  It really is subjective though.  For instance, I just submitted a paint that looked good to me, and then afterwards, I made the mistake of looking at one of my friend's well-regarded paints, to find that his colors were about 50% more washed out than mine were.  I wondered if he knew something that I didn't, but I ultimately decided to stick with my original, more saturated, interpretation...so don't drive yourself crazy with it and use your best judgement.  

All in all, if that's your first paint, I think it's pretty good, and if you tighten it up just a little bit, I think it could be very good.

#3 SilentHastati

SilentHastati

Posted 03 March 2016 - 20:37

I'll keep most of that in mind for next time, unfortunately I can't actually go and fix it as the xcf never got saved properly (GIMP is screaming that the file is corrupted) it seems. Next time i do something will probably be some Albatrosses, so I'll keep a lot of that in mind. That said some of the washyness may be due to the dds plugin in 64bit gimp being a cobbled together trainwreck that explodes if you star at it wrong, so I'll need to tweak a bunch of stuff.

#4 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 20 March 2016 - 16:02

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users