* * * * * 1 votes

Basic Flight Training Program Now Available

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon
  • LocationMineola, NY USA

Posted 02 March 2016 - 16:58

For many new pilots to "Rise of Flight" that have no real-world flying experience or previous sim-pilot experience, the learning curve of this rather complex simulation can be daunting.  And once in the multi-player realm, frustrating enough to see many new people give up in despair or disgust.

For those that would like to approach this realistic simulation from a more formalized approach, a basic flight training program is now being offered on an individual basis using a private training Server. 

For details, please go to the following link...https://riseofflight....wordpress.com/

If anyone is interested in signing up, please use the "Contact" form on the "home" page.

The full syllabus is available for review...

Black Falcon

#2 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 March 2016 - 18:15

Interesting idea, I'm curious to see how it goes.

Side note, while I was reading your syllabus under the section about joysticks you said that "aileron control was optional" did you mean rudder? Although I don't agree with that statement either way rudder makes a bit more sense.

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

tahhfk.jpg

#3 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 02 March 2016 - 21:42

This is a great initiative, and something that I would be very keen to do.

I tried to register with http://newwingstraining.net/but never got an activation e-mail (I tried it several times and with two separate e-mail accounts, but nothing).

I saw that there was a particular aeroplane requirements (Pfalz IIId), which is fine. I don't have it yet, but would get it if I was accepted into the course. Getting it is a bit more expensive for us Steam users, but I think it would be worth it for such a course. However, is there a map requirement too? In the same way that concentrating on one aircraft has benefits, would the same apply to a particular map, and if so which one?

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#4 Ben_Twings

Ben_Twings
  • LocationAlbion

Posted 02 March 2016 - 23:36

I disagree with your assessment of the Pfalz D111 and consequently also with your rationale for requiring it. Having downloaded the game free, no-one wants to be faced with an initial unexpected expense. For the same reason I suggest that you mention the existence of low cost alternatives to TrackIR, otherwise most are likely to stop reading at that point..

Polish-infested London

#5 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon

Posted 03 March 2016 - 18:07

@B24_LIBERATOR

You may be completely correct in your observation.  Before I had my more advanced joystick I had been under the impression that it was "aileron control" that was missing from my joystick operations.

However, again, you may be correct in what you have found to be the case.

I do not know how one would fly such a simulation without at least a rudder.  When I was flying Radio Controlled sailplanes years ago, we always had elevator and rudder control available.  It was the aileron control that was a luxury item to have.

Nonetheless, if you think I have this backwards, please let me know and I'll be happy to change the wording and orient it towards your recommendation...

Black Falcon

#6 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon

Posted 03 March 2016 - 18:18

@xvii-Dietrich

Thank you for your positive comments.

The reason why I selected the Pfalz D.III (aside from my soft spot for the German Air Service) is that I have flown just about all of the German aircraft with the exception of the Fokker DVIII, the Gotha, and the seaplanes.  I have found the German aircraft to be more stable in general than the Allied aircraft, though not as powerful.  The Pfalz D.III however, I found to be the sweetest of them all.

I was thinking of also offering the training in the Sopwith Pup, which I have always been a big fan of, but I decided to settle on the Pfalz D.III as the standard.  In fact, recently, I found a similar set of sentiments written by another ROF sim-pilot who found the German aircraft to be a better choice for teaching pilots new to the game.

As to the mapping, ROF has fairly poor maps in general but this was probably done to add to the realism of flying in WWI as aeronautical charts has not yet been developed and I am not sure if even geographic contour maps were in use by WWI fliers, though they existed to some extent at the time.

As a result there is only so much that can be taught in this part of the course since we will be using standard VFR (visual flight rules) for such training.  We could extend it to include actual directional plotting on the given maps as one sim-pilot suggested in a thread in one of the topics on this forum but I would have to work the parameters out beforehand.

As a result, there is no need to become familiar with any particular map at this time since we will be using the New Wings training server. However, I can find out from the staff there if they can offer the maps as downloads used in that server for printing purposes.  Sounds like you have suggested a good idea here so I am going to follow up with New Wings about this.

Black Falcon

#7 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon

Posted 03 March 2016 - 18:24

@Ben_Twings

Yes, several people have disagreed with this approach where I am requiring the purchase of a Pfalz D.III.  However, a flight instructor teaches best in the plane he or she is most comfortable with.

Though for adults, the additional cost of a plane purchase is not an expense to get concerned over.  For the younger crowd, if they don't have the D.III, I would be certainly happy to accommodate them in a DV.a but in my view this a bit advanced for a new sim-pilot, which is who my course is targeting.

As to the tracking devices, your suggestion has already been updated to my site.  The "TrackIR" equipment was the only one I am familiar with and it is not really needed for training since students will not be required to orchestrate quick reactions that come with a combat environment.

Black Falcon

#8 Spyboy

Spyboy

Posted 03 March 2016 - 18:36

I think this a good idea BF, despite playing RoF for some time I am rubbish. I will subscribe :icon_e_salute:

#9 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 March 2016 - 19:10

If you think I have this backwards, please let me know and I'll be happy to change the wording and orient it towards your recommendation...

Honestly I don't think you can properly fly an aircraft without any of the 3 primary flight controls. They are all very important to flight, especially in a combat scenario.

As for the required aircraft, I think the Spad is the best choice for beginners. It's free for starters, it's an outstanding plane if you learn to use it properly, very stable, and it has all the engine controls you need to learn to fly (Rad & Mixture, yeah RoF has great engine management...). And it will be more important to learn energy management while flying it.

Just my 2 cents.

-LIBERATOR :icon_e_salute:

tahhfk.jpg

#10 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon

Posted 03 March 2016 - 20:23

@B24_LIBERATOR

I completely agree with you that the optimal configuration for any flight simulator is to have all of the relevant controls working for you...

The Spad is a very tough bird and a great plane.  My only problem with it is that you can't see out anywhere easily in the cockpit.  I feel like a recessed turtle any time I take that plane up... :icon_e_smile:

Interestingly enough, in "Red Baron 3D" (or at least the version I had), the Spad was my favorite Allied plane to play with.

However, in "Rise of Flight" I much prefer the SE5.a, though it doesn't have the fire-power of  a Spad and can be a little mushy at times.

I have found that between the German and Allied aircraft, engine management is about the same in that German aircraft you have to seemingly manage the radiator more while in Allied aircraft, mixture control plays a greater part.  However, these are only my own experiences based on the aircraft I have flown...

Black Falcon

#11 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 00:08

This is a great initiative, and something that I would be very keen to do.

I tried to register with http://newwingstraining.net/but never got an activation e-mail (I tried it several times and with two separate e-mail accounts, but nothing).

PM me when and under what email you applied to our forums and I will check into it.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#12 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 March 2016 - 23:52

The Pfalz D.III has worse (at least forward) visibility than the Spad 13.

tahhfk.jpg

#13 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon

Posted 05 March 2016 - 23:55

@B24_LIBERATOR

Not for me.  I love the Pfalz D.III.  Its a great plane to fly and can do a pretty good job in combat against Allied equivalents...

Black Falcon

#14 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:00

Back in March, I signed up for Black Falcon's training course. It was 1-hour per week for the last couple of months. Last night, I had the last lesson in the series.

The course covered all the basics, but did so in a systematic way that instilled a sense of order, rather than blind panic (which was what would typically happen in any combat situation I would have been in). The quality of the teaching was superb and the level of patience and pace of the instruction was most accommodating. Like all the others in the community who take their time to give lessons, answer questions, make instruction videos, etc., this sort of thing is a real act of dedication and it is greatly appreciated. This sim is daunting to those who are new to the genre, and flight is a complicated thing. Comprehensive cources, such as this one, are rare indeed.

Thus, I just wanted to say a public thank-you to Black Falcon for giving up his time and doing this completely for free.

Thanks, Black Falcon.

I am most grateful.

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users