- - - - -

An other idea for more realistic...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:50

Hi,
It's not a hurry, but i would be nice, for more realistic, to see in the future a man (a mecanic for example) trying to launch our propeller, and after that, take off the wedges of our weels…
Is it a possible idea? :)

Regards

#2 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:36

THAT was also my thought but i´ve never seen any flightsim with that feature so i guess it´s not possible.. :(
But who knows..?
Horrido, Der Mo

#3 Jimko

Jimko

Posted 21 November 2009 - 18:27

Even a 'mechanic' standing near the front of a plane while the engine is turned might give a better impression of the start-up process, at least from the cockpit view…and would eliminate the potential problems associated with animation. The mechanic could fade away if a walk-away is too difficult to animate. A few more 'bodies' around the hangars would help too!

Agreed…not urgent but great if something could be done eventually.

A fabulous sim, nonetheless!

#4 Finkeren

Finkeren

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:32

The engine startup proces itself is very simplified compared to real life: Set the mixture, press ignition, close radiator, wait for engine to warm up, and you're good to go!

No cranking up the starter, no timing of ignition and prop launch, no manual pumping of fuel into the cylinders etc etc.

To the people who complain that this is too much of a simulator and not much of a game I say: "Be glad you don't have to fly it like the veterans did"

If we at some point get the Fokker Eindecker, I hope that they model the fuel pump system which was manual. Every 10 minutes or so the pilot had to pump more fuel into the gravity fed carbuerator, but not too much or he'd drown it. Man that would be fun, just imagine to be in the middle of a dogfight and have your engine stalling, because you forgot to pump fuel into it :lol:

Note that this is not a rant. I think neoqb has struck a happy medium between realism and playability as far as FM, EM and DM goes.

#5 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:33

Sure you're right. But our airfields needs a little more life…that's why i was thinking about mechanics around planes ;) just for fun!

#6 Finkeren

Finkeren

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:07

Sure you're right. But our airfields needs a little more life…that's why i was thinking about mechanics around planes ;) just for fun!

I get the idea about immersion, but I think a mechanic launching your prop at engine startup will seem a bit silly when you can land in a field, turn off your engine and start it up again without any help. ;)

More life at the airstrips would be nice, but even more important I think would be to add a bit more variety to offline missions overall. Try to take a look at the dynamic campaign missions in IL2. There's always a ton of things going on, that has nothing directly to do with your mission.

#7 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:29

Ok, so if we land in the country fields, we should not restart engine, if it stops…
Completly agree with you for the offline missions, and IL2. ;)
Regards

#8 Jimko

Jimko

Posted 28 November 2009 - 18:05

I get the idea about immersion, but I think a mechanic launching your prop at engine startup will seem a bit silly when you can land in a field, turn off your engine and start it up again without any help. ;)

More life at the airstrips would be nice, but even more important I think would be to add a bit more variety to offline missions overall. Try to take a look at the dynamic campaign missions in IL2. There's always a ton of things going on, that has nothing directly to do with your mission.

Now, now…starting the engine on the airfield without a mechanic is "a bit silly" in the first place, to use your words, but no one is suggesting that this should be changed. We accept it, so starting it in a field which was rare, but sometimes managed by only the pilot (historical accounts) is not such a stretch and still works for me. ;)

And, not having the mechanic actually be part of the start-up process is another reason why I suggested that a mechanic just standing near the front of the plane at start-up and then walk or fade away would be a nice immersion touch from the cockpit view.

And yes, there are many things more important covered in many other threads, but some of us hope to have more bodies around the airfield some day. It does look a bit deserted. When I still flew CFS2 we had add-on mods with stationary mechanics around the planes and hangars and it made such a big difference to the 'live airfield' feeling. The guys that added those touches used to get a lot of compliments for their work!

#9 Gimpy117

Gimpy117

Posted 29 November 2009 - 19:30

the problem is animating him getting out of the way on takeoff.

#10 Jimko

Jimko

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:03

I think that neoqb could trigger the mechanic to walk or fade away with engine start…perhaps low engine revs or slight throttle advance.

Otherwise we can move him with a burst of MG fire… :lol:

#11 Finkeren

Finkeren

Posted 30 November 2009 - 22:08

Neoqb has been so good at animating planes being thrown up in the air by explosions, surely they can do the same for a mechanic hit by a propeller :twisted:

"Ready?", "igniting", "LAUNCH!" Wroom wroom, SMOCK! "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

#12 Red77

Red77

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:31

For fun and for framerate-drops to 15-20fps around airfields. For more realistic game-play I prefer an elevator-trim for my SE5a, not animated people starting the prop.

#13 GazzaV.Gazza

GazzaV.Gazza

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:46

OK…here is the ultimate immersion/realism improvement. And you don't have to wait for RoF to deliver it.

Step 1. Place behind your simpit, flight chair, or whatever you use a number of items including:
Baseball bat, hand-held propane torch, a phillips screw driver, or sharp-pointed awl.

Step 2. Get a close friend or relative to stand behind you as you fly in your simpit or whatever else you may call it. Ensure that your 'co-pilot' is instructed upon when to use the above items on your head or shoulders in-case you are wounded in flight, shot down in flames, or slightly killed.

Step 3. Start RoF.

You won't even care if there are mechanics turning over your propeller, idlers watching you take-off and land, or thousands of troops looking up at your little dot from the trenches. :D

Just a joke…no insult intended.

#14 Jimko

Jimko

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:12

OK…here is the ultimate immersion/realism improvement. And you don't have to wait for RoF to deliver it.

Step 1. Place behind your simpit, flight chair, or whatever you use a number of items including:
Baseball bat, hand-held propane torch, a phillips screw driver, or sharp-pointed awl.

Step 2. Get a close friend or relative to stand behind you as you fly in your simpit or whatever else you may call it. Ensure that your 'co-pilot' is instructed upon when to use the above items on your head or shoulders in-case you are wounded in flight, shot down in flames, or slightly killed.

Step 3. Start RoF.

You won't even care if there are mechanics turning over your propeller, idlers watching you take-off and land, or thousands of troops looking up at your little dot from the trenches. :D

Just a joke…no insult intended.

My wife already does those things…ohhhh, oops :oops: …I see you mean for realism while flying in RoF, not just as punishment!

#15 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:27

Hi all

I would like to see a mechanic, especially when you use cold engine start. He could wave you on once the engine is warm. I would like to see them prop my plane, but that's not as important to me as having them let me know when my engine is warm enough for take off.

I'd also like to see livestock in the fields and around farms. People standing around the towns and airfields. They could be simple static figures for the most part. Low poly, since we won't be very close up to them. None would need to be animated, except for the aircrafts mechanic.
I wouldn't even care if they cast shadows or not. It's just the whole world looks so dead and deserted.

I love how they did the trees. Maybe ground people could be done in a similar way. A 2d object that turns to always be facing you. Shouldn't put too much of a hit on frame rates. Maybe have lines in the config to turn them on or off in areas. And/or the amount of objects shown.

It would be nice to have horse drawn carts, troops walking, etc. on the secondary roads.
Some damaged equipment around too. Again, all could be very low detail and poly to limit the impact on systems. IMO, this would go a long way towards giving the world a live look to it.

#16 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:05

Hi all

I would like to see a mechanic, especially when you use cold engine start. He could wave you on once the engine is warm. I would like to see them prop my plane, but that's not as important to me as having them let me know when my engine is warm enough for take off.

I'd also like to see livestock in the fields and around farms. People standing around the towns and airfields. They could be simple static figures for the most part. Low poly, since we won't be very close up to them. None would need to be animated, except for the aircrafts mechanic.
I wouldn't even care if they cast shadows or not. It's just the whole world looks so dead and deserted.

I love how they did the trees. Maybe ground people could be done in a similar way. A 2d object that turns to always be facing you. Shouldn't put too much of a hit on frame rates. Maybe have lines in the config to turn them on or off in areas. And/or the amount of objects shown.

It would be nice to have horse drawn carts, troops walking, etc. on the secondary roads.
Some damaged equipment around too. Again, all could be very low detail and poly to limit the impact on systems. IMO, this would go a long way towards giving the world a live look to it.

Full agree with you…but i think we are the only two for those wishes :cry:
All guys prefer a smooth sim for flying without stuttering due to the scenary.
Well, that's life ;)

#17 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:54

+1

~S~

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#18 Hereward_Hawker

Hereward_Hawker

Posted 05 December 2009 - 20:27

Well, just some static airplanes, and a couple of mechanics working on them, plus a bit of airfield junk (spare parts, engines, such things) will be enough. I had written before about the mechanig swinging the propeller, but the his survival chance would be even les than a real WW1 pilot :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users