Anyone ever look at EDtracker with RoF?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Dr_Romeo_Chair

Dr_Romeo_Chair
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:04

Hi Folks,

I'm finally making my way back to RoF after a few busy months and decided a head tracker would be nice. While I'll probably end up buying a TrackIR, since it seems to be the gold standard, I wanted to give the DiY alternatives a try first.

FaceTrackNoIr (http://facetracknoir...ome/default.htm) didn't cut it, then I ran across EDTracker (http://www.edtracker.org.uk/index.php) which looks very promising. It was initially done for Elite Dangerous (space-sim game) but has since been used elsewhere. It uses a 6 (or 9) DoF accelerometer chip along with the same Arduino pro-micro chip used by the MMJOY2 project HippyDruid was talking about. Cost to build is about $20 US for the Arduino and the mpu-9150 (or 9250). Even the pre-assembled 'Pro' version sells for under $50 (I think).

So anyway, I did build it -- pretty easy, however it's not working with RoF. In the GUI made by the developer, it tracks my head movements pretty nicely (straps to the top of headphones with a micro USB cable attached).

It also looks good in the Windows USB Game Controller test window. But in RoF, while the 2 axes are detected and assigned for camera control, in the reponse curve section, it shows NaN (not a number) indicating some mathematical error (like a divide by zero). Using the windows joystick calibrate function, I did notice that the raw output values coming from the EDTracker HID joystick are going from -+/32,768 (e.g. a 16-bit signed integer). I'm guessing this is waaay higher resolution than an average joystick and may be screwing things up.

Anyone ever try this before? Or even hear of it? I expected there to be a lively debate in the forum archives, but not a mention.

FYI, there *is* a way to get EDTracker to look like TrackIR with a program called 'opentrack', so that's probably my next thing to try.

DRC

#2 J2_Jakob

J2_Jakob
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 17 February 2016 - 16:11

Hi there,

First off: I have no experience with EDtracker, but perhaps you'll find some value in following info:

I was pretty limited on my budget, so rather expensive TiR was the last option for me and I went for the cheapest DIY alternative first. Which proved to be adequate and I use it for a couple of years now.

Tried a few trackers so far. FTNoIR, Opentrack and Freetrack.

FTNoIR - This software is primarily focused on plain face tracking with no diodes, but it supports IR/LED diode caps/clips too (which is the way I went eventually). It was working, but there is horrible visual representation of how my virtual head is positioned. Whoever thought a tiny 2D "card" is a good idea to represent and configure 3D movement of virtual head should be shot at dawn.

Opentrack - is free opensource multiplatform tracker. IIRC it shares the same philosophy with this irritating 2D "card". Aditionally, it seems all curves need to be configured manually, there's no preset. After configuring it, I realised some of the curves need to be inverted to actually work like intended. Counter-intuitive and complicated. Didn't have the patience to configure it properly and left it in the dust.

Freetrack - although it's no longer developed, it delivered exactly what I needed. Quite intuitive setup, lots of advice of how to make the movement quick and smooth can be found online. Also, instead of embarrasing 2D "card", this one has a decent 3D "skull" representing the virtual head position. Which I like a lot. Supports a lot of games, including RoF of course. I sticked with this one. Until anything breaks, I'm going to use this and can provide screenshots of how my settings look like, if you're interested. If you're not limited by OS (dunno if it works on newer systems, still using 64bit Win7), I can fully recommend this.

I think there's no easy way to configure any DIY head tracking. So I wish you good luck with your quest.  ;)

:icon_e_salute:

Jakob

#3 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 17 February 2016 - 17:50

Hi there,

First off: I have no experience with EDtracker, but perhaps you'll find some value in following info:

I was pretty limited on my budget, so rather expensive TiR was the last option for me and I went for the cheapest DIY alternative first. Which proved to be adequate and I use it for a couple of years now.

Tried a few trackers so far. FTNoIR, Opentrack and Freetrack.

Freetrack - although it's no longer developed, it delivered exactly what I needed. Quite intuitive setup, lots of advice of how to make the movement quick and smooth can be found online. Also, instead of embarrasing 2D "card", this one has a decent 3D "skull" representing the virtual head position. Which I like a lot. Supports a lot of games, including RoF of course. I sticked with this one. Until anything breaks, I'm going to use this and can provide screenshots of how my settings look like, if you're interested. If you're not limited by OS (dunno if it works on newer systems, still using 64bit Win7), I can fully recommend this.

I think there's no easy way to configure any DIY head tracking. So I wish you good luck with your quest.  ;)

Jakob

Unfortunately, I also have nothing to contribute for the OP regarding EDtracker. Sorry. :(

Like Jakob, I have been predominantly using Freetrack with a DiY ballcap and getting excellent results. 

I'm posting here to add a bit of info for Freetrack. I recently switched to Win-10 and it still works there. As it is currently, Freetrack supports only 32 bit mode, which I discovered when I tried to use it (unsuccessfully) with Falcon BMS 4.33 in 64 bit mode. It does work, as is, with Falcon BMS in 32 bit mode.

That's the bad news.

The Good News is that there's a dll file available on the Falcon BMS forum that you can drop into your Freetrack install that will then let it work with 64 bit mode, and that solves the 64 bit problem.  The only wrinkle with that is an inverted pitch axis, but that is also easily dealt with by selecting the "invert axis" check box for pitch in Freetrack itself.

So, yes, with that dll file, Freetrack also works with 64-bit mode in Windows 10 as well.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

#4 Dr_Romeo_Chair

Dr_Romeo_Chair
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:57

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm working with the developer of the ED Tracker to see if we can get it working in RoF (and maybe more games in general). The tracking in the GUI he developed is really amazingly good, so I think it would be a winner if only we can get it in a format RoF can live with.

Here's a video where he has it working with IL2 Cliffs of Dover:  

#5 J2_Jakob

J2_Jakob
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:27

Wow, kudos to the dev for the 3D head!  ;)

Please, be sure to let us know, if/when you get it working with RoF! Looks good!!!

#6 Dr_Romeo_Chair

Dr_Romeo_Chair
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:15

Yes, will do!

As a sanity check I tried setting up an old Saitek ST90 as a second joystick for camera control -- RoF gives the exact same 'NaN' error and doesn't respond to the input, so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the ED Tracker at this point. Is at all likely that the devs would fix this? Is it worth even trying to get support on that?

As a workaround, the guy who develops EDTracker developer said he's set it up to look like a mouse in the past, so that might be an option for the camera.

#7 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 03 March 2016 - 15:01

I had and used all free alternatives to natural point exept ED tracker and the best IMHO is opentrack - reliable, accurate, smooth, responsive and low on cpu.

#8 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 06 March 2016 - 14:10

I'm a happy customer of DelanClip and am happily using it with FaceTrackNoIR (I couldn't care less about the card thing, I don't even look at it when configuring the curves).

My only problem was with head pitch (up) which wouldn't go the full 90 degrees. Just solved that by slightly fiddling ROF default.map (posted the solution here on the forums just half an hour ago).

#9 J2_Mr_Tree

J2_Mr_Tree

Posted 07 April 2016 - 20:25

hi i checked how edtracker tracks headmovement and tbh it realy is promesing!

that's why i'm writing here is there any new on if it works with rof already?

#10 Dr_Romeo_Chair

Dr_Romeo_Chair
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 April 2016 - 21:13

Hi Mr_Tree,

As far as I can tell, if you try to use *any* joystick for camera control in RoF, it doesn't work correctly. If someone can show a work-around or prove this wrong (or perhaps maybe  the devs could fix it) we would have a great low-cost head tracking solution with ED Tracker.

I did trade emails with the ED Tracker developer in the UK, discussing the option of making the ED Tracker look like a mouse instead of a joystick. He said it was possible and offered to look at it, but apparently both of us got distracted by other things.

DRC

#11 J2_Mr_Tree

J2_Mr_Tree

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:09

Hi thanks for the update i am since yesterday using a selfmade tracker based on vissible red light.
There are better alternatives (IR light ie but those where sold out yesterday) i use this in combination with free tracker and it works brilliantly!

If anyone has any questions on hoe to make the electronic circuit has the right resistor in front of the LED's plz ask! I wil help people with that! This tracker on your head(set) is litteraly electronics on the level of age 15 so should be no problem to do yourself! :P

#12 Bill-McKee

Bill-McKee

Posted 18 June 2016 - 14:50

Hi thanks for the update i am since yesterday using a selfmade tracker based on vissible red light.
There are better alternatives (IR light ie but those where sold out yesterday) i use this in combination with free tracker and it works brilliantly!

If anyone has any questions on hoe to make the electronic circuit has the right resistor in front of the LED's plz ask! I wil help people with that! This tracker on your head(set) is litteraly electronics on the level of age 15 so should be no problem to do yourself! :P

Hello Mr_Tree and others,

A couple of months have passed since the last contribution, but let's see what happens. I'm just now setting up ROF and now that joystick and rudder pedals are sorted out the turn has come to face-tracking. So yes please, Mr_Tree, if you're still around, details of your leds greatly appreciated. I found the calculator on free-track.net, and I have some SFH485P IR jobs, but your visible light setup would be great. 

In addition, to FourSpeed, do you have the url for that page on the dll-file? I've been hunting around falcon forums but not finding anything like that. 

Thanks, Bill. 

#13 J2_Mr_Tree

J2_Mr_Tree

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:01

Bill send you a private message we'll work out the details over there :D

#14 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 19 June 2016 - 20:02

In addition, to FourSpeed, do you have the url for that page on the dll-file? I've been hunting around falcon forums but not finding anything like that. 

Thanks, Bill. 

Covered in PM's - glad you found the file...

Regards,

#15 Red_Bommel

Red_Bommel

Posted 04 August 2016 - 22:58

Hi there, 

I built the EDTracker myself (ordered a kit with MPU9250) and I´m using the latest Firmware and GUI (EDTrackerUI404) and it works fine for me with RoF. 

It acts like a joystick and I could assign the two axis to the head movement without any problems.

@OP

Did you watch brumsters tutorial on how to set up/calibrate the EDTracker?  I mean this one: 

Do not use the windows calibration!!

#16 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 05 August 2016 - 00:27

I was pretty excited about EDtracker until I learned that it doesn't have 6DOF (unless you also use opentrack).

In exile.

#17 raker

raker

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:48

I use EDTracker MPU-9250 with ROF and it works fine given the limitations of my PC (i3 Radeon R7 250 1gb 8gb RAM). I have vertical and horizontal axis set up and a pseudo lateral movement. I use the roll to get the pseudo lateral movements but you can use the yaw axis if you wish as in the video above.

Checkout a test video..

Notice that I look over the side to get an aim on the target - personal preference - but then can move my head back to centre. For over the side aming I know where the target is going to be with reference to my guns.

(The jerking in the video is from youtube)

To set up, first, don't use the windows joystick configuration. Set up the EDTracker UI using the manual for the magnetometer version then use Opentrack 2.2 to configure the axis and curves. Accela filter might need adjusting.

I can get a pseudo up-down movement with zoom to instrument panel also. The EDTracker doesn't have a zoom. I my case I use some buttons that I set up on my control box which has a throttle, mixture and radiator levers together with other buttons for various functions.

Notice that I use the assymmetric mapping as my preference and y and z aren't in use. Maybe you'll have to fiddle with the curves to adjust for your pc.

You must use Opentrack version 2.2 since the 2.3 has some instability and didn't work well.

No cameras needed and it's not influenced by lighting etc. I encased mine in a RJ-45 surface box with some cutting of the internals and tied it down with a piece of ribbon!

In building the tracker I used the scheme laid out by Bartybees_Bare_EDTracker_BuildGuide.pdf with the difference of instead of passing the wires through the breadboard I passed the wires around the boards connecting them just as he would do in his guide. To me, the advantage of doing this was that if anything goes wrong I could easily separate the problem board from the setup. 

Following his diagram and using the MPU 9250 it will be necessary to ignore the black and purple connections since the 9250 doesn't use the switch.

Any problems... leave a msg.

Attached Files

#18 raker

raker

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:02

For the Accela filter you might find this useful

accela filter in opentrack 2.2

Stanis��aw Halik edited this page on Jul 24 2015 · 1 revision

The page describes how to achieve proper results using the Accela filter, i.e. prevent game output from jumping all over, while still not having perceivable movement latency.

Separate smoothing values for rotation and translation are used. Higher the value, more filtering is performed, causing latency.

Lower the second and third-order settings, larger the influence of frame_(-1) and frame_(-2) on the tracker output. With reasonably low values, the higher amount of change across all last 3 frames, less lag the filter causes.

Deadband's a minimal change to influence the tracker. By setting the value in fractions of a degree, noise gets removed before it begins to become smoothed. This results in lesser smoothing required at a negligible cost in accuracy.

Finally, exponent's the gain of the filter, i.e. higher exponent causes slower response to minimal input, with a more immediate response to major output. Keep in mind that larger exponents cause the delay to pile up, resulting in a spike after passing a threshold value.

Whether settings are close to optimal depends on the tracker used, particular sensor, but also on the mapping. As filtering's done before mapping gets applied, conservative mappings need less filtering to be effective.

#19 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 06 August 2016 - 14:09

Hi raker,

No cameras needed ....

You and I had a talk about this sometime back, and for some reason, I was under the impression that a camera was also required if one were to use opentrack with EDtracker. I'm obviously quite wrong about that and stand corrected.

Thanks for posting that!   

In exile.

#20 raker

raker

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:28

You and I had a talk about this sometime back...

Ola Pioniere,

Yes, I remember. Now I'm using a MPU 9250 which eliminates the need to re-centre as it has a gyroscope and a magnetometer.

The softwares are just the EDTracker UI and Opentrack 2.2.

#21 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 07 August 2016 - 17:11

Bom dia, raker! :)

You keep doing The Godfather thing to me, where just as I think I'm out, you pull me back in, so I'm going to look into maybe changing over to EDtracker (again). B)

Do you notice a difference with the 9250?

I checked prices for parts yesterday. Cheapest so far is through China via ebay. With the Pro micro, 9150, and a 3x7cm pcb board (that will need to be cut smaller), it comes out to roughly US $20. A bit more with some kind of enclosure, of course.

As for the video, I agree about the jerkiness. That could mislead people into thinking it's not smooth when it actually is. I remember that other video you posted in the other thread and how I was impressed by the smoothness in that one. I found that thread, but see that you removed the video or I would have linked it here. :(

Anyone considering doing DIY trackIR should consider EDtracker. Price wise, it's actually less than doing an LED headset with a PS3 eye camera and added external IR filter like I have. Effort and time is probably similar, albeit for different assembly reasons. Even getting a fully made Pro version is only a third the price of NP's trackIR 5.

In exile.

#22 Red_Bommel

Red_Bommel

Posted 07 August 2016 - 17:38

@Pioniere

Check out this kit: http://hobbycomponen...icro_mpu_9250_s

Less then 24€ and it includes the casing and a PCB which will make the soldering way easier!

#23 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 07 August 2016 - 20:53

Thanks Red_Bommel. That would definitely make it all so much easier, that's for sure. Interestingly enough, it was that link (which links from EDtracker's site as well) that led me to start searching for cheaper parts prices yesterday.

That price you posted is a good $10-20 CAD more than sourcing from China when you also add in their tax and international shipping, which is most likely more than their local shipping. If, when all is said and done, I decide I don't want to do the China route, or I don't find anything cheaper here in Canada, at least I have that site you posted to fall back on.

In exile.

#24 raker

raker

Posted 08 August 2016 - 00:40

@ Do you notice a difference with the 9250?

Definitely! The 9250 eliminates the need for the micro switch and because of the gyro and magnetometer it keeps centralized... Both videos were made using a 9250! But in this video I made a slight adjustment (increase) to the smoothing (95) in the EDTracker UI whereas in the previous video it was about 75-80.

Check out this video.

Notice how I reset my view to center from the side by just positioning my head to the center of cockpit view. The off side view is my preference, though it's a result of the pseudo lateral movement.

#25 raker

raker

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:47

For me a Natural Point TrackIR 5 would work out to US$315 ($R 1000)     while my EDTracker cost me US$56 or ($R 180 ) ....that made a big difference!  

The DIY EDTracker Bundle for GB£19,99 would cost me $R 83 not including overhead expenses (taxes, time etc)

#26 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 08 August 2016 - 13:45

Hey raker,

What do you mean by "micro switch"?

Btw, what does the 9250 bring that the 9150 doesn't? I remember reading on EDtracker's site that the former has two extra pins that are not wired or needed.

US$315 for NP trackIR 5? Holy crap! :blink:

Out of curiosity, why did you pay $R 180 if you could have gotten the DIY EDtracker Bundle for $R 83, which is half the cost? Where did you source your parts from?

This video definitely shows a better reflection of the smoothness. And yes, I did see the center view reset.

"The off side view is my preference" .. plus, the bonus is that all those flies make for good in-flight snacks. :icon_lol:

In exile.

#27 Red_Bommel

Red_Bommel

Posted 08 August 2016 - 18:48

The EDTracker has a built in Mircroswitch, which is used to recenter/reset the axis and since the magnetometer version (9150 and up) doesn´t drift over time like the old 6150, you allmost never have to use the switch, once you have calibrated the Tracker.

#28 raker

raker

Posted 08 August 2016 - 19:26

Hey raker,

What do you mean by "micro switch"?

Btw, what does the 9250 bring that the 9150 doesn't? I remember reading on EDtracker's site that the former has two extra pins that are not wired or needed.

US$315 for NP trackIR 5? Holy crap! :blink:

Out of curiosity, why did you pay $R 180 if you could have gotten the DIY EDtracker Bundle for $R 83, which is half the cost? Where did you source your parts from?

This video definitely shows a better reflection of the smoothness. And yes, I did see the center view reset.

"The off side view is my preference" .. plus, the bonus is that all those flies make for good in-flight snacks. :icon_lol:

Just doing a plain conversion of US$ to Brazil $R...still have to include importing costs, import taxes delay etc which would certainly take up the final price here for me... ( err.....I included freight costs in the Brazil price but didn't include it in the US price, my mistake)

About the switch... see Red_Bommel's posting above.. with the 9250 just leave out all connections that go to the switch. In fact you could follow the diagram from Barty_Bees just ignoring the black and purple wiring in the diagram. Just follow the diagram and you can't go wrong.

Ah, I forgot. The 9250 has 10 pins. Just ignore the final two, NCS and FSYNC. ( the 5160 has just 8 pins )

About the off side view.... you could set up the tracker with just the yaw, pitch and roll axis, but if you'd like the X ( lateral axis ) you'll have to set up, what brumster calls in his video, a pesudo axis. In his case when he uses the yaw axis you'll notice a little lateral movement on the X axis which he uses to look backwards. That's because he links his yaw axis to his X axis in opentrack.

In my case I linked my X axis to my roll axis ( see pic of opentrack above). So when I roll my head, just a little bit, I would have a slight lateral movement which puts my point of vision just outside the cockpit on either side. Moving my head back to the center would bring my view back to the cockpit center. I agree it might look a bit different from usual but it's the price I have to pay to get the lateral, ( in opentrack it's translation ) movements. But don't worry cause you get accustomed to it... and I find it quite interesting cause I can manage to look downwards fowards and backwards.

In addition I can link my Y axis to my Z axis which would give me a little zoom, usually when I look down at the instrument panel.

See Barty_Bees manual at

http://www.edtracker.../5-build-guides

Then... the over-the-side view gives you the whistling and rushing of the wind goin' past.... I luv that!

Attached Files

#29 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 09 August 2016 - 14:50

@Red_Bommel: Ahh, so that was the reset button. Thanks!

@raker:

Those costs are harsh. Here I am trying to be frugal, yet you guys are taking a real beating. :(

Regarding the switch, if you don't wire it, what happens in the rare instance that it does drift and you'd have to reset it?

So getting the 9150 or the 9250 makes no difference then?

I've got this thread bookmarked, so I'll be able to look back at your info for reference when I do get to do this project. At that time, I'll try the different ways you pointed out for side to side movement, to see what works best for me.

"Then... the over-the-side view gives you the whistling and rushing of the wind goin' past.... I luv that!" hehehe .. you'll need to switch avatars with Joker_BR then. His is the one with debris on his teeth. :icon_e_biggrin:

In exile.

#30 Red_Bommel

Red_Bommel

Posted 09 August 2016 - 15:01

Regarding the switch, if you don't wire it, what happens in the rare instance that it does drift and you'd have to reset it?

You can assign a hotkey (in the EDTracker GUI) to recenter your view. ;)

Take a look at Rakers post (the bottom right pic shows the GUI).

#31 raker

raker

Posted 09 August 2016 - 15:54

about costs... well, I twist and turn to make ends meet that's how I ended up making my own tracker.

about reset ... just use the configured hot-key

about 9150/9250 ... I couldn't get the 9150 to buy. Aparently, it's not made anymore. But, it makes no difference, just that the 9250 comes with 10 pins and you wouldn't use the last two. (I don't know how many pins are on the 9150) 

Needing help at any time just contact me. I'd love to help in any way I can...

I somtimes fly with Joker on War Grounds. In fact, we are participating in the ongoing FIF on the same team. Twas he who told me about this tracker, if I remember right and about another board I used to make a 'control box' with levers for throttle, mixture, radiator and various other control switches for flaps, landing gears etc. which I use to substitute the throttle box that comes together with the warthog stick ( see pic above).... and it works real nice!!!

When possible I'll dismount my tracker to show how I connected the wires...instead of passing the wires through the protoboard as Barty_Bees suggested.

#32 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 09 August 2016 - 16:22

thanks guys! I see the hotkey setting there, which makes that switch redundant.

I hear ya raker in regards to the costs and having to twist and turn (like a joystick rudder ;)).

I was just looking at the parts again. I noticed there's also a 9255 (stamped as 92/65). Does this work as well? (http://www.ebay.com/...=item541f0cb3af)

For the enclosure, I'm going to have to look around town to see what I can find in the 50x35x17mm size range like those Hammond enclosures. Even if it's a battery case or an RJ45 box like you have in your pics.

Thanks for the offer to help, raker. You've already been a great source of help since we first talked about this. I appreciate it!

That's interesting about you and Joker. He was flying with Marx last weekend, and they posted about it, which is how I remembered Joker's avatar (which is pretty funny!).  

Btw, a couple of side things I like about this EDtracker project is that a) it will negate the use of a camera, which in turn frees up a USB port, and b ) removes the worry about damaging the LED headset, which is fragile. I've already had one of the wires come loose one day because I must have inadvertently tugged on the cable.  

In exile.

#33 raker

raker

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:20

Ola Pioniere719,

Don't know about the 9255 but will keep an eye out. From the looks of it I think I should work. Maybe Brumster might make an update about this. There might be a difference in the flash code or something so in the meantime I'd stay with the 9250.

I also tried making a IR led headset using a ps3 eye camera but somehow the leds burned out and I was worried about removing the IR filter from the camera. Didn't want to destroy the camera since I was short on funds. At about the same time I found out about the EDtracker and it seemed a better and cheaper alternative.

Where I live I cannot get the IR leds to buy in the shops and buying them online works out too expensive cause of the freight. 

But I might still try making a led headset, just for the sake of making one,  or buying a TrackIR 5 because of the 6DOF advantage and if, for me, the price becomes available (ie. the wife allowing the funds.... :D  But in the mean time the EDTracker will have to do.

Look out for my post of the desmounted tracker.

Will see you guys on WarGrounds! Happy hunting! :icon_cool:

#34 Red_Bommel

Red_Bommel

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:54

@Pioniere

My kit from Hobby Components (sold as 9250) contains the board which is stamped 92/65 (it is exactly the one you linked) and it works absolutely fine (first I thought the roll axis wouldn´t work but it does).

I flashed it with the 9250 Firmware since it was advertised and sold as a 9250.

Attached Files

#35 raker

raker

Posted 10 August 2016 - 14:05

@Pioniere

My kit from Hobby Components (sold as 9250) contains the board which is stamped 92/65 (it is exactly the one you linked) and it works absolutely fine (first I thought the roll axis wouldn´t work but it does).

I flashed it with the 9250 Firmware since it was advertised and sold as a 9250.

Ah, yes. It's the same. I flash the 9250 also. But I was wondering if the 9250 flash would work for the 9255 that Pioniere mentioned which is the new board coming out. I don't understand much about the flash code, as yet! But I am studying a bit about Arduino!

The EDTracker UI only gives the yaw and pitch. The roll comes when you configure the OpenTrack. 

Will post pics of my set up as soon as possible. Keep a look out.

#36 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 10 August 2016 - 15:26

My kit from Hobby Components (sold as 9250) contains the board which is stamped 92/65 (it is exactly the one you linked) and it works absolutely fine (first I thought the roll axis wouldn´t work but it does). I flashed it with the 9250 Firmware since it was advertised and sold as a 9250.

Thanks Red_Bommel! This is really good to know.

So let's talk about your assembly :). How come you don't have it encased? Isn't it more susceptible to dust and bumps like that? The blue "string": is that what secures the device to your headset?

Ola raker!

Thanks to Red_Bommel, we now know the 9255 (branded 92/65) works with a 9250 flash.

You're right about that LED issue. Also, finding/sourcing them is a problem for many people, depending on where they live. I couldn't find the recommended OSRAM SFH485P LEDS anywhere. I finally found the non-P versions by chance, and then used a grinding stone to flatten them out, which worked.

As for the camera, that filter removal takes patience, but even then, one small wrong move and you brick the camera. I helped a guy (I think he was Brazilian too) a few months ago with the opentrack setup. He was trying to remove that filter and then for whatever reason, botched the removal. Poor guy :(. I haven't heard from him since.   

You seem to be skilled in this DIY stuff, so making one would be a breeze for you. But I wouldn't bother with TrackIR 5 if you've got EDtracker working nicely. No need to spend the extra money, and that would make The Bank of Wife happy. :)

"desmounted tracker" - what is that?

In exile.

#37 raker

raker

Posted 10 August 2016 - 16:05

Ah, sorry. I mean 'dismounted'. Sometimes I still confuse the languages... :D

As I have wired my tracker setup, instead of using the circuit board that Red_Brommel uses, I use a 'protoboard', the one with all the little holes in it and instead of passing the wires through I pass them around the mpu and the protoboard. This makes it easy to dismount the setup if I ever need to change any of the boards. When I post the pics you'll get a better ideia.

Really,, this ideia came to me when I was building my second tracker ( 9250) and had some problems with the soldering.

As for the camera, I saw a video on youtube with a guy explaining how to do it but when I saw the cutting to be done I decided I didn't want to run the risk. And I watched the video quite a few times and decide 'no way, man!"  

My experience is that many years ago ( 77-78) I did a radio and TV course by correspondence... :) and I've always been inclined to eletronics though I prefer mecanics. I'd like to learn motorcycle motor mecanics. I have a project to build a radio controlled plane, maybe a twin engined, and fit it with motorcycle motors!!! I've had that for the last 'how many' years or so... about 40... since I came to brasil. Just something I'd like to do...

Ah, the wife! Now that I'm about to retire I'll have to find thinks to occupy myself... :D so she can't complain...too much...

#38 raker

raker

Posted 10 August 2016 - 20:00

This is how I wired my EDTracker. The pics shows how the MPU board can be separated from the unit. The wiring follows the same scheme as in the Barty_Bees guide without the black and purple wires...

I used a ribbon to fix it in the box since it would get a better 'sit' on the earphone.

Attached Files

#39 Red_Bommel

Red_Bommel

Posted 10 August 2016 - 21:14

The EDTracker UI only gives the yaw and pitch. The roll comes when you configure the OpenTrack. 

Will post pics of my set up as soon as possible. Keep a look out.

The lack of of the Roll axis in the GUI is what made me think it wouldn´t work. ^^

Thanks Red_Bommel! This is really good to know.

So let's talk about your assembly :). How come you don't have it encased? Isn't it more susceptible to dust and bumps like that? The blue "string": is that what secures the device to your headset?

Dust is no issue, I simply use a soft brush to clean it if necessary. The blue string is a simple rubberband which secures it to the top of my headset, yes.

I will encase it later on, I kept it like this for trouble shooting at first and then became too lazy.  :icon_e_biggrin:

#40 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:15

This is how I wired my EDTracker....

Nice!

So using that protoboard like that, you're using longer wires to allow you to be able to separate it (dismount it)? Is that protoboard the same as something like this: (http://www.ebay.com/...=item1ead2008e6)? Is it easy to cut those boards to size?

A ribbon. I guess I don't have to check ebay for that one .. hehehe!

raker, did you notice that your board is ALSO labeled 92/65? Maybe all 9250s are labeled that way, but that ebay vendor assumed it was a different model: 9255. What do you guys think of that? Possible?

Ah, sorry. I mean 'dismounted'. Sometimes I still confuse the languages... :D

Oh man, that's funny because I didn't see that you wrote "desmounted". I read it as "dismounted" anyways and still didn't know what it meant. I think I'm confusing my mother tongue (English) as well .. hehehe

Regarding the camera, I never thought I was the type to do those things, but I managed it ok. Youtube videos have helped me through a few things that I thought I couldn't do, like the first time my old monitor blew, and I had to replace the resistors. I watched a girl do it, and when she said "If I can do this, you can too!" I was like "Ya man, I'm heading to the electronics shop right now!" :) I did it without blowing the house up, and the monitor still runs well to this day (as a second monitor).

Radio controlled planes: Did you know Marx is into those? You guys should chat about that. RC plane with an MC motor.  :icon_mad:  

Ah, the wife! Now that I'm about to retire I'll have to find thinks to occupy myself... :D so she can't complain...too much...

Ahh, good luck with that my friend. :icon_lol:

In exile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users