Photo
- - - - -

Flares - What do they mean?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 12 February 2016 - 15:42

So there are different colors of flares we can shoot during the flight. What I want is: what each color exactly indicates? Especially since I have seen some pilots firing green flares during dogfights.

I can guess that red one means "Enemy in sight", but what about the others?

#2 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 12 February 2016 - 18:00

There is no designated meaning for flares in MP.  If it's a noob it means "here I am, come kill me".  If it's an ace it means "I'm sick of looking for you, just come over here so I can kill you".

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Knalp!

#3 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 12 February 2016 - 18:05

Short Answer? Nothing.  There are no pre-canned meanings...

That said, if you play the single player career mode, you'll see specific flares for specific things; ie. Green at the airfield for takeoff clearance, white at the airfield for landing clearance, white from a flight lead to signify RTB, etc.

In multiplayer mode, on New Wings, you'll see yellow (or red) flares from balloons, signifying enemies in the area. In a couple missions -NW-FritzFlipitz had different balloon flare colors to signify fighters vs bombers, but it's not universal to all our missions.  Other servers may well use different colors and conventions.

Among players in multiplayer, there is NO set meaning.  Basically, it is solely to get the attention of other players.  Certain groups of players may well have their own convention among their own group regarding meanings, but again that would be just for them, by mutual agreement.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

#4 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 12 February 2016 - 19:18

There is no designated meaning for flares in MP.  If it's a noob it means "here I am, come kill me".  If it's an ace it means "I'm sick of looking for you, just come over here so I can kill you".

Used in the fight it means either "Here, guys!" for your friends on TS, or "I'm pretending I have lots of scary friends on TS on their way here". 

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#5 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 13 February 2016 - 17:15

We Trolls use shooting green flares at each other as a kind of greeting  :icon_e_smile:

#6 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 15 February 2016 - 21:53

And what about career mode? I have seen some AI pilots firing green flares during a dogfight, and then proceeding to leave the area. If not for my, shall we say, combat pragmatism, most of them would never return home.

Are flares alternatives for hand signals in career mode or something?

#7 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 18 February 2016 - 15:32

And what about career mode? I have seen some AI pilots firing green flares during a dogfight, and then proceeding to leave the area. If not for my, shall we say, combat pragmatism, most of them would never return home.

Are flares alternatives for hand signals in career mode or something?

Re-read FourSpeeds' post.

#8 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 18 February 2016 - 19:49

Fly a mission as flight leader in career, give some orders to your wingmen and see which flares shoot from your plane to learn. IIRC green flare means "Return to base" and white one is "I'm passing flight leadership to second-in-command".

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#9 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 18 February 2016 - 23:28

Fly a mission as flight leader in career, give some orders to your wingmen and see which flares shoot from your plane to learn. IIRC green flare means "Return to base" and white one is "I'm passing flight leadership to second-in-command".

I think they're the other way round  (but it's been awhile)

#10 Catfish

Catfish

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:05

I guess in WW1 there were no international signs, all kinds of signals were used at the time were strictly national, and defined for certain squadrons or even single missions.

In WW II e.g.  three red flares being fired were used internationally in emergency, as a sign for "don't shoot, will land here in your territory". Used by english and german planes, towards each other and to ground fire positions.

(see e.g. Stuka landings in Malta, or generally damaged planes going down in enemy territory in WW2).

Reconnaissance planes will always automatically be able to observe a green flare at the aerodrome, when beginning a server mission (like field is cleared, mostly with a text "the xyz begins its mission")

Two yellow flares indicate a balloon having sighted an enemy plane in the vicinity.

Squadrons in RoF have their own secret code for shooting flares, but you dont really need it with this feckin' teamspeak (which i consider as cheating).

I sometimes shoot a green flare at a damaged landing opponent, indicating i will not shoot him. There's no "code" though.

#11 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 24 February 2016 - 14:05

Maybe as a community we should set a code for flares. 

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#12 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 24 February 2016 - 14:40

I don't see us as community adhering to that code  :icon_lol: .

I know that I usually don't care what colour I'm using - I fly in dark room and have all flare keys close to one another, so I just hit a key at random to select flare gun. When I fire the flare I inform whomever is looking for it what colour to look for ("Red out, green out"). I keep all my flares in one bag, and don't remember what's in the pistol  ;) .

Forum moderator.

#13 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 14:47

As it's been said online use of flares, except by missions them selves, is normally agreed upon by pilots or squadrons who fly together. But as BSR has posted I'll know to use some flares next time I can't find someone to shoot or shoot me.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#14 mrmertz

mrmertz

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:52

I know this subject is a little old, but interesting nonetheless since I'm just now getting back into ROF after a long hiatus. Running a career mode right now.

When approaching my aerodrome in Germany I most often have seen a white flare shot off from the airfield when nearing approach. Today though after returning from a mission, they shot off both a white and yellow flare simultaneously while approaching.

#15 Oorpii

Oorpii
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:31

https://riseofflight...442-use-flares/

#16 Hurtzem

Hurtzem

Posted 29 June 2021 - 20:49

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users