- - - - -

Aircraft Parts as Static Objects?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 marshce

marshce
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:12

Searching through the internet I found this picture in a post at the Aerodrome forums of broken aircraft parts behind a hangar:

Album%20Terlinden%20Evere%201919-1986%20

I thought it might be nice to have some similar parts as static objects that could be placed around aerodromes when making missions and such. However, I seriously lack the skills to do this. Furthermore, it seems like the modding community for Rise of Flight has passed its peak, and not so many people with these skills seem to be interested in making new models and mods for the game.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion to inspire someone.

#2 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:26

Not having seen the original but I will stick my head above the parapet and say that this is a photo taken immediately post war of surrendered German aircraft being broken up for scrap.

A number of reasons for this deduction: the main one  being the two fellows walking at the bottom left of the picture have their hands in their pockets!

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#3 marshce

marshce
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:12

It's in Belgium in 1919 just after the war. Yes, you are right.

But I'm sure there were parts in aerodromes from machines that crashed and wings that broke and so on. They must have had some kind of stockpile.

Basically, doing a search through these forums I noticed there was a peak in modding and models around 2012 or 2013, but since then there seems to have been less and less desire to make new models and mods.

I feel like I'm late to the party, and I lament the fact that there aren't so many new projects in the wings.  :(

I would love to rekindle the dying embers of that fire!

#4 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:18

I wish you luck - the problem seems to be that:

a) Mods for objects and scenery in RoF are not at all easy to make, and

b ) Even if you make one, they are rarely used in the game: most people play MP mods off, while in SP mods that add or alter objects cannot be integrated into Career mode (unless the developers do it). 

PWCG does, I believe, have mods such as static aircraft, but that still depends on Pat Wilson integrating them. Otherwise they only come into play if someone makes a mission specifically for them.

Your best bet is to become a modding guru and doing them yourself! 

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#5 marshce

marshce
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:11

Well, I've been making my own missions for training purposes, so the more static objects there are, the happier I am.

In my training missions I've created really detailed aerodromes with all kinds of things happening on them. It would be nice to have more tools to play with in order to expand this. (It's like having a bigger box of Lego.)

If only I could become "a modding guru" like you say! Alas, I do not have those skills.

Of course, ideally all of this stuff would happen in Career Mode, but, as you say, this isn't currently possible. There must be a point in the future (hopefully, near) when 777 either release a SDK or else open the game up for modding purposes. It might not be until it is absolutely financially unviable to keep the online authentication servers up, but how much longer could that be? Five years? Ten years? That seems unlikely. (But who knows? They may never want to release the game.)

It would be fantastic beyond all dreams if the modding community could expand Rise of Flight's Career Mode in the mold of Wings over Flanders Fields. This, of course, is currently impossible.

I can dream, though. No one can stop me from dreaming.  :)

#6 Oscar17

Oscar17

Posted 12 February 2016 - 13:15

We are looking at "financial viability" in the rear view window.

#7 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 12 February 2016 - 13:21

I can dream, though. No one can stop me from dreaming.  :)

Be careful when dreaming about RoF...

#8 marshce

marshce
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 12 February 2016 - 13:27

Be careful when dreaming about RoF...

:icon_e_smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users