Photo
- - - - -

YouTube videos

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WW1Addict

WW1Addict

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:05

I take it from the number of videos I see on YouTube that there is open permission to post in-game videos for individual profit, as long as citations to 1C Games and 777 are made? Respective companies and all that? The obvious reason is that I would like to open a new channel.

#2 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:02

you can make and produce movies with the ingame images as much as you want. No need to citate 777 or whatever. Most of us who make a movie do it because then the movie can be found on youtube. Make sure you citate the music you want to use otherwise your movie will be removed by the friendly youtube people :icon_e_biggrin:

#3 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:38

you can make and produce movies with the ingame images as much as you want. No need to citate 777 or whatever. Most of us who make a movie do it because then the movie can be found on youtube. Make sure you citate the music you want to use otherwise your movie will be removed by the friendly youtube people :icon_e_biggrin:

Just a clarification for people who want to make youtube movies but not monetize them.

The in game stuff you can show as you like, adding music may create issues, but I think I have only ever once made a citation to the music - most of the music (which I rip from non RoF youtube sources :)) is "watermarked" and Youtube often gives a text credit for the music in the video description without me having to do anything.

I have had one  "blocked in certain countries" notice IIRC, and one occasion where the rights holder has asserted his right to monetize and added a little advertisement, which does not bother me at all. 

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#4 WW1Addict

WW1Addict

Posted 06 February 2016 - 13:51

Cool! Yeah, I knew about the music problem. Music is an issue anyway because there are just too many different tastes to suit everyone.

Thank you for the replies.

#5 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 06 February 2016 - 17:31

Just curious as to what you mean by "Individual Profit"?

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#6 WW1Addict

WW1Addict

Posted 06 February 2016 - 19:29

By adding commentary to videos YouTubers can monetize their accounts. The number one ranked YouTuber is PewDiePie who makes somewhere between $700,000 and $12 million a year posting YouTube videos. Of course, he also has 42,000,000 subscribers. This is usually a win for game companies, because they get their games advertised for free. YouTube may request written consent for content like games, but in the case of RoF there are no cut scenes and the commentator is usually adding significant content with their "gift of gab."

That kind of individual profit.

#7 robfletcher

robfletcher
  • LocationDurban South Africa

Posted 17 January 2017 - 14:36

Hi Gentlemen

I'm a complete novice and currently trying to fly a Camel.  I would like to send a video(?) of a flight that I saved to a friend in the UK who does not have R of F but knows something about Camels.  I imagine that YouTube is the way to go but don't know how to capture my flight in YouTube or how to send it. I don't want to post it so the world can see it.

Is this the best format and can anyone guide me through the steps please?

Many thanks for your help.

Rob Fletcher

#8 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:09

Hi Gentlemen

I'm a complete novice and currently trying to fly a Camel.  I would like to send a video(?) of a flight that I saved to a friend in the UK who does not have R of F but knows something about Camels.  I imagine that YouTube is the way to go but don't know how to capture my flight in YouTube or how to send it. I don't want to post it so the world can see it.

Is this the best format and can anyone guide me through the steps please?

Many thanks for your help.

Rob Fletcher

There are two possible ways to capture a RoF flight into video.

1) While you are playing the game, make a complete screen capture using a program like FRAPS or Nvidea Shadowplay (the latter requires an Nvidea grahics card).  This will save as a file that can be viewed in another PC.

2) While you are flying, use the in game "Tracks" feature. This saves a file that can only be viewed in game: the advantage is that you can replay the track and change camera angles to outside view etc.

While replaying, use FRAPS or similar to make a screen capture as per (1), or lots of short screen captures.

3) You can edit the screen capture files in a movie making program and save as one movie. Microsoft Movie Maker is free and simple to use, although somewhat limited in function. Editing could be useful since screen capture files are huge. You can save your edited movie in a number of formats.

4) Your friend could view this files himself if you can share it with him,  alternately:

5) Make a Youtube channel and post your upload video for your friend to watch. While it will be "public" so that other people can see in theory, in reality the probability of anyone stumbling onto your channel by accident is remote. ;)

Good luck.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#9 robfletcher

robfletcher
  • LocationDurban South Africa

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:15

Many thanks, Unreasonable. That is a massive help!!

Best wishes

Rob

#10 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 19 January 2017 - 15:38

By adding commentary to videos YouTubers can monetize their accounts. The number one ranked YouTuber is PewDiePie who makes somewhere between $700,000 and $12 million a year posting YouTube videos. Of course, he also has 42,000,000 subscribers. This is usually a win for game companies, because they get their games advertised for free. YouTube may request written consent for content like games, but in the case of RoF there are no cut scenes and the commentator is usually adding significant content with their "gift of gab."

I'm only speaking for myself but I believe intellectual integrity might come into play here. I SHARE ‚Äča lot of videos but I do not do it for profit. I would think it would not be correct or right to share another's video for profit unless you have their specific permission to do so. As simple as mine are and they are certainly not movies, I would not like them shared unless it was for FREE without MY permission.

But this is only my thoughts on this.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#11 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 19 January 2017 - 17:41

Hey Chief,

I'm sure there are several viewpoints to that monetization concept.

As you know, I don't do movies at all, and in fact, you've done a couple on my behalf (Thank You!), but, if I read the OP correctly, I don't think he's talking about sharing other people's videos for money.  I think he's talking about making his own videos, however, if they're RoF videos, then he (obviously) has to use 777's game, and that raises some legalities as to whether he can use material from another's product (ie. RoF) without, fees, royalties, etc. possibly owed to them. That's the point, I think he was trying to clarify (again, assuming I read it correctly).

The other side of the issue is simple. Think of the time you put in on the videos for me -- was that a "service" you provided?  Did your efforts add "value" to what I'd done?

I think the answer is a pretty clear "Yes".  So, should you be able to charge for that?  I think you probably could -- the question becomes, "How *much* value did you add, and what would that be worth in real dollars, and would real people actually pay that price? 

In your case, you didn't charge for your service, no doubt, for several reasons, and from reading your post, I imagine you'd be unlikely to charge going forward for the odd, similarly short project. 

But, conceptually, I don't think the idea of charging for it is wrong, necessarily...  In fact, that's nothing more than the underlying basis for the entire industry of "contracted services" in whichever field you're talking.  For instance, I've done some plumbing work in the past for a friend, and didn't charge for it, but if I was going to do a lot of it, for several people, then, I'd potentially reconsider the value of that work as it really becomes a provided "service" at some point... 

Isn't that all that Hollywood is really doing (on a much larger scale, of course)?  They provide movies, as entertainment, for the public....  Apart from scale, one could easily argue a similar position for game videos, tutorials, etc. with appropriate costs and prices.  I can imagine that folks that are monetizing their videos and YT channels are thinking similarly. 

While I wouldn't be interested in buying, or producing such works myself, I can see how others might, and if handled appropriately, and legally, I don't think there's any particular ethical issue in doing so...   YMMV.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

#12 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 19 January 2017 - 20:46

Make sure you have read and understand the "Video Creation & Use Policy".  https://riseofflight.com/video-policy/

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#13 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 29 January 2017 - 17:02

Humm,  What about Live streaming and Twitch accounts?

sig9.png

#14 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 29 January 2017 - 21:35

Humm,  What about Live streaming and Twitch accounts?

Humm!   No Licensing. Generally, you cannot license your videos to any third party for a fee or other value without our approval. However, there are important exceptions:

• Partner programs with YouTube or the following streaming websites: own3D.tv, Ustream.tv,Twitch.tv, Justin.tv, Blip.tv (no prior permission from us required). :icon_e_salute:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#15 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:41

Not sure why everyone is so busily answering a question from nearly a year ago. Or, for that matter, why I am pointing that out....

#16 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 30 January 2017 - 16:55

Not sure why everyone is so busily answering a question from nearly a year ago. Or, for that matter, why I am pointing that out....

I blame you for starting the ball rolling by replying to the new guy who re-opened the thread... :icon_e_biggrin:  :icon_lol:

I doubt the rest of us even noticed the date of the OP.  I know I didn't -- ewpsie... :D

Cheers,

4 :icon_e_salute:

PS> That's just light-hearted teasing btw -- the info you provided was actually interesting and useful...

#17 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:18

PS> That's just light-hearted teasing btw -- the info you provided was actually interesting and useful...

Yes I know. :)   And I do try to be interesting and useful as well as unreasonable, even if I am better at the latter....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users