33 replies to this topic

#1 marshce

marshce
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 28 January 2016 - 14:15

Wow!

I mean, Wow!

I had no idea.

My rudder pedals finally arrived today, and I eagerly and with much alacrity hooked them up. Within seconds I had loaded up Rise of Flight.

At first, it was a very awkward experience. I had previously been using my joystick's twist function, which was always a little counter-intuitive for me. As I would twist, I would pitch up and down or lose control of my machine. This played a big part in me not being able to make those steep turns I wrote about before, I'm sure. With the rudder pedals, though, taking off (which was never any trouble for me) suddenly became a huge ordeal. I was taxiing all over the place! But I did take off eventually and soon got the hang of it.

And, again, I have to say, Wow! This has changed everything for me! These things are incredible. I've never, ever been able to control my airplanes in all my flight simulators and games this precisely. Turns have become majestic things as either foot gently presses forward or backward. Those steep turns which originally brought me to these forums were child's play suddenly. I could easily trim my nose to the horizon with the inverted rudder controls, something I could never seem to do when I was twisting the joystick.

I have been converted!

#2 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 28 January 2016 - 14:33

Marshce you just discribed my first use of rudder peddles to a tee. And now, as you, I can't imagine not having them.

Good Hunting

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#3 marshce

marshce
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 28 January 2016 - 14:45

Marshce you just discribed my first use of rudder peddles to a tee. And now, as you, I can't imagine not having them.

Chief,

It is amazing the difference they make. I'm so interested in maintaining as much realism as possible when I fly in Rise of Flight that I almost thought that I was cheating by using these rudder pedals. They were such a huge improvement! But then I realized this was probably because they were actually more realistic. If real flyers had to go through the ordeal of twisting their joysticks like I was doing and losing control of their planes while doing so, casualties would have been much higher!

#4 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 28 January 2016 - 18:08

Initially disappointed with pedals as it felt like I had to learn to fly all over again, but yes, it was worth it.  After a few long sessions it became second nature..

#5 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 21:56

What's even better than having ruder pedals? having a rudder bar.

It's brilliant. It's so WW1 too.

Simple, solid, heavy duty, extremely precise, super fast and is made out of repurposed bicycle parts.

I'm waggling it as I type.

It's magic.

I wonder if I could sell them... hmm...

Salute!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#6 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 January 2016 - 22:22

Good Hunting
Chief

Same here mate. :) One thing I noticed got a lot easier was snaps rolls in rotaries. Not to say I'm an expert with those (the ground and I are fairly well acquainted :P) but my control in rolls is MUCH more precise now.

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#7 Blazingstar

Blazingstar
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 29 January 2016 - 00:21

Interesting to read this.

I have a Thurstmaster T.Flight Hotas X. joystick with a rudder rocker on the throttle.

I've been using this since I wanted to avoid another gizmo and more wires cluttering the PC, but maybe it's worth it?
Just today I was frustrated with the Yaw axis in gunnery, it seems like at the best moments I start over correcting with he rudder rocker and miss. I thought maybe the control response curves are to blame, but maybe the right hardware is the answer?

#8 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 29 January 2016 - 00:43

More hardware is always the right answer.  

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#9 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 January 2016 - 00:44

Yes I had the same experience with rudder pedals! I too used to user a twisty and a worn out one at that! I think it was some POS Cyborg 3D. It was worn out after 3 years but I used it for 5. HUGE difference when you have a proper setup with good gear.

#10 Blazingstar

Blazingstar
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:19

Hahaha. I couldn't agree more!

But seriously though, does anyone have experience with rudder bar like on the Thurstmaster T.Flight Hotas X. joystick?

I've had ROF since it first came out and give it up out of frustration only to come back to it a year later

#11 marshce

marshce
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:38

Initially disappointed with pedals as it felt like I had to learn to fly all over again, but yes, it was worth it.  After a few long sessions it became second nature..

Definitely, rudder pedals warrant a return to the training grounds. For me flying was okay, but take offs which were the easiest part of flying for me before suddenly became a shocking challenge! I'm better now, but it's still a bit strange to taxi with rudder pedals.

I thought maybe the control response curves are to blame, but maybe the right hardware is the answer?

That's exactly what I thought, and when I first got Rise of Flight, I fiddled around with the curves for yaw to be able to control my planes better. However, with the rudder pedals and the original, stock responses for yaw, the plane controls like a dream. Honestly, like I said, at first it was so much of a difference, I thought I may be cheating!

I can't wait to get back into the air!

#12 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:29

Glad you have them - it transforms the experience. More fine control, and especially not making unwanted rudder movements when you move the stick around! 

Also good for your posture - forces you to sit up straight and symetrical rather than hunched over your stick.... ;) 

Check how smoothly and precisely they travel when you want to make a very slight rudder movement, say in a gentle coordinated turn or to correct slight sideslipping. Sadly, my plastic pedals sometimes stick or spike near the centre point, with the stock curves I found it impossible reliably to get a very small rudder movement. A small dead zone and an S curve profile in your pedals can fix that if you experience it. But if stock is working no need to change for change's sake.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#13 Blazingstar

Blazingstar
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:17

Definitely, rudder pedals warrant a return to the training grounds. For me flying was okay, but take offs which were the easiest part of flying for me before suddenly became a shocking challenge! I'm better now, but it's still a bit strange to taxi with rudder pedals.

That's exactly what I thought, and when I first got Rise of Flight, I fiddled around with the curves for yaw to be able to control my planes better. However, with the rudder pedals and the original, stock responses for yaw, the plane controls like a dream. Honestly, like I said, at first it was so much of a difference, I thought I may be cheating!

I can't wait to get back into the air!

SOLD!

or rather, time to start looking for some nice pedals

I need all the help I can get!

#14 SharpeXB

SharpeXB
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 31 January 2016 - 23:11

Yes I remember when I first got pedals it meant learning to fly all over again but the extra control and realism fun makes them definitely worthwhile.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28” Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

#15 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 31 January 2016 - 23:36

I remember my first flying lesson. Taxiing was hilarious because I wanted to steer the aircraft with the yoke. Lol

#16 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:13

I've had a full set up on my pc for years. So my first flying lesson it was all second nature. Instructor was impressed with my control on the ground, said I was a natural.

I just couldn't admit to being a sim junkie and played along pretending it was all new to me.

sig.png

#17 Blazingstar

Blazingstar
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:01

Hi again,
I thought I'd post my follow up here after 4 months rather than start a new thread.

1:
I broke he piggy bank and ordered the MFG rudder pedals - just paid for them today actually so they should be on their way.
Of course, now I see someone has posted a problem with these pedals and win10?!
Please tell me it ain't so!

2:
I've almost decided on the housemaster HOTAS Warthog stick too.
Is that the best choice for ROF?

Thanks guys.
Really looking forward to having a fresh start with ROF and these new tools.

#18 oskich

oskich

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:05

Hi again,
I thought I'd post my follow up here after 4 months rather than start a new thread.

1:
I broke he piggy bank and ordered the MFG rudder pedals - just paid for them today actually so they should be on their way.
Of course, now I see someone has posted a problem with these pedals and win10?!
Please tell me it ain't so!

2:
I've almost decided on the housemaster HOTAS Warthog stick too.
Is that the best choice for ROF?

Thanks guys.
Really looking forward to having a fresh start with ROF and these new tools.

I have the exact same setup (MFG + Warthog) - Huge difference in presicion from my previous stick and pedals - You really get what you pay for :-)

#19 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:55

I just got VKB Gladiator and VKB T Rudder Mk III pedals and am looking for the best instructions to achieve optimum performance, the hardware comes with minimal manuals and all the comprehensive YouTube's are in Russian

#20 Zlatarov

Zlatarov

Posted 06 September 2016 - 16:52

Hi Spyboy what r u looking for?
How to set up or how to use them?
With ROF , those VKB beauties are almost RTF! Probably you might need to set up some of the buttons in the game , depending on how you like!
For example you can have main trigger for forward machine guns, on the top of the stick for overwing ones.

#21 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 10 September 2016 - 19:42

Hi Spyboy what r u looking for?
How to set up or how to use them?
With ROF , those VKB beauties are almost RTF! Probably you might need to set up some of the buttons in the game , depending on how you like!
For example you can have main trigger for forward machine guns, on the top of the stick for overwing ones.

Yes all of that....
I've not had pedals before.
Gave it a try today setting pedals went to settings/ controls, yaw pushed pedals left then right apply, went to game .... left turn only! So you see I. Need help!

#22 ZachariasX

ZachariasX

Posted 12 September 2016 - 15:40

More hardware plus complaining the sim being expensive.

#23 Zlatarov

Zlatarov

Posted 13 September 2016 - 17:28

Yes all of that....
I've not had pedals before.
Gave it a try today setting pedals went to settings/ controls, yaw pushed pedals left then right apply, went to game .... left turn only! So you see I. Need help!

Sorry for the delay of my reply , but bit buzzy lately !
Where are you from?
A it possible to go on TS or Skype ?
Everything can be set as it should be :)
Just a question in advance which might be also the answer for your problem : Have you done calibration off your T-radder via Windows control panel? If yes that's not good! But it can be solved!

Cheers

#24 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 13 September 2016 - 18:45

Hi Zlartov

No I haven't done calibration from Windows, I was going to use Wizzo because Sokol1 told me you had to connect the pedals then recalibrate. My problem is that all the Wizzo links I have found don't work. So I haven't done anything other than look at VKB, Stratojet, IL2BoS and FSC forums. Some good YouTube videos but they are in Russian or German. I am in UK and ashamed to say speak neither language. I am on TS but haven't used Skype, if you have an iPhone could do Facetime.
Thanks for coming back

#25 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 13 September 2016 - 19:43

Maybe you have to use the VKB Configurator tool to Calibrate the rudder pedals? It can be downloaded here on VKB Europe https://flightsimcontrols.com/It is under "Featured Downloads" on the right side.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#26 Zlatarov

Zlatarov

Posted 13 September 2016 - 20:07

Configurator Vcf from VKB is very powerful tool, but required to read the manual before use. It is great if u want to change type or configuration of the buttons , do axis to button option and etc.
for beginners and not demanding tasks Wizo is perfect !
I'll try to find a working version and link here.
One more thing - the rudders are they connect to Gladiator or via tiny box?

#27 Zlatarov

Zlatarov

Posted 13 September 2016 - 20:14

Ok here is the link:
Wizzo in .zip file
http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/

Also will be good to have show hid program in case.

#28 Zlatarov

Zlatarov

Posted 14 September 2016 - 17:13

And here is a manual in English for Wizzo.
I do not recommend to change firmware if you don't understand how to do it and why you should !

http://ftp.vkb-sim.p...v1_7-9-2016.pdf

If you still have problem PM me and we will find a way to solve your problem!

#29 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 14 September 2016 - 19:11

Zlatarov
Thanks for the manual. I had calibrated with Wizzo but pedals and throttle were inverted. Now I know what to do to fix. So I fix these, and set pitch and roll dead zones to zero and that's good to go I think.
I was trying to correct these in game settings...my bad!
Thanks for your help. I posted on BoX/NoM forums and got help from Sokul1 so between you and him we are getting there :))

#30 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 14 September 2016 - 19:49

It worked thanks to the manual but golly gee flying has become harder it's Deffo going to need lots of practice, good job dark nights are coming!

#31 Zlatarov

Zlatarov

Posted 14 September 2016 - 20:16

So you see, it's not that difficult :)
That you got help from Sokol1 (Falcon1) it's great (I am not good as him), if I am not wrong he is part of VKB team!
If you wish , you can visit vkb forum (there is English one), where you can found tons of information , tips, and etc.
if you need some more help don't hesitate to contact me :)

#32 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 15 September 2016 - 18:47

Hey Zlatarov
How you doing?
Tech question: What should the dead zone on VKB T Rudder pedals be?
Beginning to get the hang of it all but tweaks needed I think

#33 Zlatarov

Zlatarov

Posted 15 September 2016 - 19:57

Hey Zlatarov
How you doing?
Tech question: What should the dead zone on VKB T Rudder pedals be?
Beginning to get the hang of it all but tweaks needed I think

Hello Spyboy,

Unfortunately my t-rudder pedal are connected via tiny box (not thru Gladiator joystick) and cannot show a print screen of my setting while using Wizzo (its designed to work only with Gladiator so far). But never less when I use  Vkb_Def_Cfg, my dead zones there are Low=3 and High=5. Actually I never care about them - this is how I get them :)

Attached File  dead zones tradder.jpg   230.12KB   0 downloads

#34 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:51

Thanks for that, they seem to need smoothing out a bit as there is a slight jump when making right turns.
Like everybody on here says pedals change the way you play flight Sims!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users