- - - - -

Is there an RoF plane making guide?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:45

Hi,

I am a long time early aviation nut.  I have had the privilege to work on many interesting projects.  I did the design work and drawings for the Glenn Curtiss Museum on their 1910 Curtiss Hudson Flier.  I build a 1/4 scale RC version of that plane and am now working on a 1/4 scale 1910 AVRO Triplane MkIV.

I have done all the design work in SolidWorks in probably far greater detail than would be acceptable for an RoF plane.  (Way too many surfaces and features.)  I would love to know how to convert my CAD models into a form acceptable to RoF.  What a thrill it would be to be able to fly my AVRO Triplane in the luscious environment of RoF.

I doubt this would be of interest to too many others so I'm not asking that these planes be formally released.  I'd just love to fly them in my version.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 21 January 2016 - 13:29

It's not possible to add your own aircraft into the game.  The Sikorsky S-22 was actually proposed in a forum post similar to yours by someone who had already created most of the model.  However, it seems unlikely that any new aircraft are going to be added to the game by the developers.

Free Plank!

#3 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 21 January 2016 - 14:33

Chevelle, the business model for RoF is to give the game away as Free to Play and then sell flyable airplanes as well as upgrades to those planes to customers.   If 777 allowed people to start creating their own aircraft for RoF, they potentially cut themselves out of future sales should they ever decide to create new aircraft again.   

#4 Plank

Plank
  • LocationPatrolling the border between on topic and way way way off topic.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 16:41

You Sir, are legend.

(Never mind the wet blankets they will dry out one day...)

I would like one of each, thank you.

Salute!

Plank.

Ashtray mods for Nieuports.

Actual working sights and adjustable angle of fire( Yes you can shoot your prop off).

And ....drum roll please... proper CFD flight models ( Imagine that! ).

#5 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 21 January 2016 - 17:11

Yep Plank, you are right, this guy was the owner of the famous RB3d Wings of Valor forum, this forum was [more or less] the successor of the official Sierra RB3d forum. 

I do not give you any chance for this non-WW1 plane, ask Jason from 777 by pm, who knows there are some hidden RoF-1910 plans. ;)    

If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country?

Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

#6 remcov

remcov

Posted 21 January 2016 - 18:04

I guess you are aware that it is posible to convert your model into an fsx model?

#7 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 21 January 2016 - 19:23

Hey, thanks for the replies and the kind, if undeserved, words.

True, it does seem what I am asking for is not compatible with RoF's business model.  I guess my question was related more to SP than MP.  The "unauthorized" plane would be available only to my version but I can see 777's reluctance to open even that capability up since the community could make and then share planes for SP.  It just would have been so nice to be able to fly my work on the computer.

As to remcov's remark, no, I'm not aware of that option.  Do you have any more details?

If I could get the support of 777, I'd be happy to design planes for RoF for nothing.  (This is a hobby of mine.)  777 can give them away or charge for them.  However, to make them truly viable in RoF, I do not have the artistic skills to skin them properly.  I would need some help.

S!

Chevelle

#8 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 21 January 2016 - 19:32

If I could get the support of 777, I'd be happy to design planes for RoF for nothing.  (This is a hobby of mine.)  777 can give them away or charge for them.  However, to make them truly viable in RoF, I do not have the artistic skills to skin them properly.  I would need some help.

S!

Chevelle

By all means, please con... Wow these are beautiful planes, what was I? oh, by all means, please contact them and propose that. The newest two planes were created by adopting third party 3d models so the precedent is there. BoS forum is, unfortunately, the place where they are easiest to find. It may not work, making (and adjusting :( ) the flight models seems to be the difficult part, so they may still have no manhours to adapt your work even if you do it. As of skinning them, I suppose we still have enough involved people in community to find someone who can handle that? We're all itching for more planes :).

Forum moderator.

Adjutant, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

bav.jpg

#9 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 21 January 2016 - 19:48

:lol:

Attached Files

#10 remcov

remcov

Posted 21 January 2016 - 20:59

You will need to install the fsx software development kit:

http://www.fsdevelop...tallation_(FSX)

Elements of aircraft model in fsx: (read section on aircraft)
https://en.m.wikiped...ity_involvement

This link provides access to various modelling aspects for fsx
http://www.fsdevelop...Aircraft_Design

Blender is a tool often used to create aircraft models:
https://www.blender.org

This tool converts blender models into fsx models:
http://www.fsdevelop..._Toolset_manual

If you Google further on fsx and aircraft modelling you will certainly find some further tutorials from people how know far more on this topic than i do.

I hope this gets you started! Its not so easy but getting your models into rof will most certainly be impossible without support from 777 developers. Unfortunately the 777 developers are not able to support rof as we, players, would like. Therefore i recommend to try it with fsx.

#11 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 21 January 2016 - 21:58

Ha!  I didn't even know what FSX was!  Now it makes sense.  Create my planes for Fight Simulator X.

I will look into it.  Thanks very much!

#12 Plank

Plank
  • LocationPatrolling the border between on topic and way way way off topic.

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:30

Wow look at those planes!

Terrific!

Salute!

Plank.

Ashtray mods for Nieuports.

Actual working sights and adjustable angle of fire( Yes you can shoot your prop off).

And ....drum roll please... proper CFD flight models ( Imagine that! ).

#13 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:58

Love yer workshop. Beautiful models! I have a scratch built 1/9th scale DVIIF that is 75% done. Haven't worked on it since about 2008 or 2009. It's not gas but electric instead. It should hang on it's prop similar to the RoF planes :D

Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#14 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:54

Stunning aircraft!  :icon_e_biggrin:

Lost to RoF forever.   :icon_e_sad:

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#15 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 22 January 2016 - 21:25

Ha!  I didn't even know what FSX was!  Now it makes sense.  Create my planes for Fight Simulator X.

I will look into it.  Thanks very much!

Or you can also try to contact the OBD team, at http://simhq.com/for...Flanders_Fields  thats another WW1 flysim. 

If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country?

Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

#16 Flybert

Flybert

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:04

ahhh .. Chevelle . I'd say long time but we know each other on facebook .. lol

Who knows ? .. 777 / IL-2 franchise is going through changes .. we might yet see RoF revived as a money stream with new planes
Cliffs of Dover was a dog .. Battle of Stalingrad is quickly becoming a dog too .. Jason has bought out the talent from what I hear

With some fresh marketing .. RoF still has good potential imo ..

#17 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:17

Sending a PM to your forum account Chevelle with a more direct email addie.

Looking at the image of your triplane, I don't think there are too many polys and besides there are procedures within 3DSMax to optimize/reduce poly count.  AFAIK that program is required for importing any mesh into RoF.

While there may be other flight sim options for import of your projects, they certainly do not have the fidelity or graphical quality of the RoF physics engine or environment.  Even if the aircraft is pre-war, it may work as an early war observation craft and the pilot can still use a pistol to fend off the EIII's :icon_mad:

There's a squad mate of mine (no names, I'll let him reveal himself if he chooses) who has a video of himself getting shot down by an EIII pilot who turned around and used a pistol to hole his engine.  Classic RoF!

#18 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:45

Thanks for the recent comments.  R/C flying season is coming to a close.  The Hudson Flier is more than half way through its repairs from its rough maiden flight.  It should be ready in the spring for another try.  The AVRO Triplane just might be ready next year as well.

With just those two things on the building board, I should have some time to see about getting into modeling for the sims.  In actuality, I think modeling these planes for sims should be pretty straight forward.  The wings are simple shapes, essentially one piece each.  Should be fun.  I'll keep you posted.

As for ROF, I don't know if more planes are really needed.  The list is impressive.  Like all these sims, including WW2, they tend to load up on planes later in the war since they have more performance and are more heavily armed.  So maybe some planes from earlier in the war might be nice but I would think not very popular.  Now zeppelins might be cool if they make sense with the maps available.  Are tanks in the ROF?

Here's something that would be great fun but a total bust as a financial endeavor. The 1909 Reims Race.  The first time the viable pioneering planes all met in one place.  The Wrights themselves declined to participate but many greats where there, Louis Bleriot, Henry Farman, and Glenn Curtiss to name just three.  As for the planes there were six Wright, nine Voisins, four Antoinettes, four Farmans, at least one Bleriot and one Curtiss.  (Curtiss won in his "Reims Racer", the predecessor and almost identical to the Hudson Flier.)

#19 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 31 August 2016 - 17:03

Simple mesh sure, but not that simple when you consider the damage model.  RoF includes a lot of the structure inside those wings and surfaces so that when hit by bullets, the holes show that interior detail.

Yes, there are tanks nicely modeled but you can't drive them.

There is a thread here already suggesting a pre-war expansion along the lines of "Those magnificent men in their flying machines", but most agreed it would be fun once, but not much more than that, especially at what, 30 - 50 mph?  Some sort of broken engine/systems repair should be implemented (even if just abstract) to make it more challenging/interesting, as well as some haystacks to take the pretty French girls along the way. 

Ah, but you bring up a favourite topic for many here on the forum, zeppelins!  We haven't had a good zeppelin thread, in what, a few months?   :icon_e_biggrin:   I don't know maybe less, I'm seldom here anymore.

Release the hounds!

#20 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:38

Your are completely right about the pioneer era of flying as it relates to a sim.  Other than the nostalgia factor, where is the sim challenge?  A damage model for bullets is pointless since no one was shooting from planes at the time.  Yeah, speeds were slow.  After all, a big deal was when Barney Oldfield raced his car against a Curtiss plane.

As for models of that era, I'm ahead of the curve.  I've done two!  The Hudson Flier and the AVRO Triplane, the last was from the movie. Again though, a very very limited appeal.

#21 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:41

Love yer workshop. Beautiful models! I have a scratch built 1/9th scale DVIIF that is 75% done. Haven't worked on it since about 2008 or 2009. It's not gas but electric instead. It should hang on it's prop similar to the RoF planes :D

How about a picture or two!

#22 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:57

So if I am to get FSX, what version and from where?

#23 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 15 September 2016 - 16:38

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!

So I got FSX Deluxe from eBay.  I installed it and it was pretty ho hum.  Ah, but I needed the service packs.  After getting those, what a difference.  Lots of fun.

Now I'm ready for the developers kit.  Per the fsdeveloper.com site instructions, I install the FSX SDK.  The instructions also says that I need the service packs.  A link the SP2 is provided so I try that.  Uh oh.  I need to install SP1a first but the link provided by fsdeveloper is not good.  After searching for other sources, no joy.  

This was all this morning.  I don't want to be one of those guys that starts posting on their forums without giving it a good try myself but I felt I had to ask about a viable source of SP1a.  So I go the fsdeveloper for about the third time today and THE DOMAIN HAS EXPIRED!!!  Ugghhhhh.

#24 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 15 September 2016 - 18:30

:icon_boring:

Sorry, just had to, you're posting about FSX now after all...

#25 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 17 September 2016 - 14:57

I doubt, that converting a CAD object into a polygonal model will yield any decent results, you'd probably have to spend a lot of time cleaning up the topology. Might as well start it from scratch :) And then there are still the textures to be made, which will take up a lot of time as well.

#26 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 19 September 2016 - 13:06

Shhh.  Whisper.  We don't want to wake SYN_Bandy.

The number of polygons will be an issue.  I have found a way to get the model into Blender without having to do it from scratch.  SolidWorks can import STL files with resolution settings.  I am importing everything out at the coarsest setting.  We'll see.

<tip toeing back to the FSX developers forum that is now online again...>

#27 billmagee

billmagee

Posted 19 October 2016 - 00:04

A possible solution for you, Chevelle, is to fly your model in Flightgear, an open-source flight simulator. While not as lovely as RoF, every aspect of the plane flight and engine characteristics is available for tweaking. Just borrow the code from a similar plane and adapt it to your planes. I have built and flown a Heinkel He 100 from scratch. Great fun! Runs under Linux and Windows.

#28 SPEKTRE76

SPEKTRE76
  • LocationLake Stevens, WA - USA

Posted 31 October 2016 - 00:48

Wow Flightgear looks good enough for me. I think maybe I'll give that Sopwith Baby a whirl now.

#29 HAUKSBEE

HAUKSBEE

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:04

... the flight models seems to be the difficult part, so they may still have no manhours to adapt your work even if you do it.

Contact HairySpin at Sim OutHouse.com.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users