- - - - -

Mod Overload - What, When, and How to Install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 marshce

marshce
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 13 January 2016 - 16:54

I'm experiencing a bit of mod overload, and I'd like to ask for anyone's help or explanation of this.

I'm relatively new to the whole Rise of Flight world, but I'm extremely eager.

My goal with using mods is two-fold: First, I'd like to increase the graphical quality as much as possible to create as visually realistic a flight simulator as possible. I want to be absolutely transported to the Western Front circa 1916. Second, I like to create as realistic an experience as possible with accurately firing weapons and AI that act like real humans and so on.

I've gathered together all the mods that fit these two criteria that I could get my hands on. I've installed JSGME Mod Enabler and then individually installed these.

However, this is where I've encountered a problem. A lot of the mods I tried to install experience conflicts with other mods. There is no clear indication what mods are contained in other mods and which are compatible with which.

Here's an example. I've installed "Bullet Effect for Buildings", "More Active Front", and the appropriate "Rate of Fire" mods. But then when I try to install AI gunners there is a conflict and one or more of these become greyed out in JSGME depending on the order I've installed them.

Also, I've installed "Fubar's Landscape Mod", but then other, smaller mods experience conflicts like "Wildflower mod" or "TerrainBump". It's unclear if these are already contained in "Fubar's Landscape Mod" or else they are overlapping files, each trying to alter the same files in different ways.

It's all so confusing.

Is there any accepted way of installing all the available mods? Are some mods incompatible with others? Are there any plans by the modding community to unify all mods into packages like a "Graphics Overhaul" package, a "Total Realism" package, and so on? (This last one is just wishful thinking on my part!)

Thank you to anyone who can help.

#2 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:55

OK some comments from another MOD user:

1: Conflicts are inevitable - as you say various people may try to change the same file in different ways, so you have to choose.

2: It is not always clear what the "most realistic" MOD in a given area actually is. Take Flak effectiveness for example: the historical record is patchy, and it is difficult to compare in-game results directly with history. There are a number of versions of Flak mods out there, which is the most realistic? (Obviously mine ;), but do not ask me to prove it....) Apart from anything else the modder has to balance the possible realism factor with the effect on gameplay given the way RoF works - which in many respects is unrealistic in ways that are not moddable. 

It is, fundamentally a game - or possibly two games, MP and SP - and the mod must fit along with the basic "rules of the game". I assume we are talking about SP here as very few people play MP making modded MP impractical as there are not enough people playing to support different versions.

3: There are some compilations which are designed not to conflict, but these are simply the preferences of the compiler, there is no agreed "most realistic" list.

My own advice would be to take it a little more slowly and start with the base game, then add specific items affecting a particular issue (eg. gun rate of fire) in on a trial basis, until you have a selection that you find plausible and enjoyable. Researching each issue is also a manageable way of learning more about the realities of WW1 flying and fighting.

I am afraid that there is no mix we all agree on - we are a far too argumentative lot for that - but if you ask the forum about specific issue you want to get to grips with such as Flak effectiveness, or damage modelling, you might get more specific opinions.

Hope this helps - and welcome to the forum. 

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#3 marshce

marshce
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:03

Thank you for your reply, unreasonable (and you were most reasonable, contrary to your name!).

I completely understand what you said about "realism". Of course, ultimately I'm sitting in front of a widescreen LCD monitor with a joystick that looks like it's from an F-15 using headphones and TrackIR. I guess for me (and many people) "realism" can be defined as an illusion which feels more real than other illusions. This obviously changes depending on the person.

As for graphics mods is there an accepted order of installation? I have a feeling that those smaller mods like the wildflower mod are actually included in larger graphics mods like Fubar's Landscape Mod.

Am I right in assuming this?

Thank you.

Addendum: I went carefully through all the realism mods I had wanted to install and noticed that none of them were altering the same files. But they were using the same folder structures and it was this that was alerting JSGME to possible conflicts. (The graphics mods, on the other hand, all seem to be altering the same files.)

#4 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 14 January 2016 - 13:00

Cannot help much on graphics mods I am afraid as I do not use them - having tried several I have come to the conclusion that the default treatment was superior. IMHO of course.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#5 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 14 January 2016 - 17:56

If I could only choose one mod, Ankor's bump map mod is hands down the required mod.  It may not look great below 200 feet (you should be paying attention elsewhere at those times anyways...), but once at altitude, wow!  It really makes a huge visual and 'atmospheric' difference, especially at dawn and dusk.

#6 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 14 January 2016 - 18:02

I also don't use graphics (new textures, bump maps) mods. Only use mods which are focused on adding more realism to the standard game

34zg6jd.jpg

#7 marshce

marshce
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:28

SYN_Bandy, yes, I thought that the bump map mod really added a whole new dimension to the game (pun intended!). It does look quite nice from the air.

And, Husar, usually I'm not interested in cutting-edge graphics, but for flight simulators I really want to feel, first and foremost, like I'm actually flying in the sky over a real land in a real place. I guess this drives me to finding more and more authentic experiences. I could care less about state-of-the-art FPSs, but give me a visually super-realistic flight simulator any time of the day and I'll be blissfully happy!

#8 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:38

I see I am going to have to google "bump map".... heavens...

-

Captured again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users