Photo
- - - - -

Dear RoF team. Can you please keep your master server maintained?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#81 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 06 January 2016 - 20:01

That would be fine, as long as the recent issue of extreme warping, which affects gameplay, finds a suitable resolution.  Because that is the reason for this thread.  But afterall, I'm not the one jumping through hoops to explain why the reported problem is a figment of so many imaginations.

#82 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 06 January 2016 - 20:24

SirRobin,

We sincerely appreciate the elevated pedestal that you Gentlemen keep placing "Mom" on.  If she were still living she would personally write you guys a thank-you note for your kindnesses.

Since she has passed, let me extend my gratitude for thinking so highly of her.  She always did her best to make sure that =NFF= always kept their best effort as a minimum benchmark.  She always wanted all our guests and companions to have the best of experiences on HER 'Team's Servers.' 

Thank you again for your thoughtful observations.   'Mom' will continue to do her very best to keep everyone enjoying 'RoF Multiplayer' from her crypt.  She'll also make sure the basement is kept clean and warm.

We hope that you and your associates come fly with us as soon as you can.  You would to see how pleasant it can be flying on either =NFF= Servers.  We'll extend the hospitality carpet just for you Sir.  (Don't forget - it's also FREE.  We don't accept dues or donations!).

All of us at =NFF= look forward to enjoying your company.  We'd also appreciate any suggestions you have for our improvement.

You take care.

PhilEmmett

(PS - At last evaluation =NFF= has had few issues with 'graying' and 'drops.'  Don't quite know what you folks are talking about!  It's probably because Agent86 watches their performance like a Hawk).

(=NFF=Patriarch)

#83 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 06 January 2016 - 20:57

It is all to easy to blame problems on the convent escape goat.  

This is what happens when the moderators leave the thread open too long.   The holy goats escape and then everything goes to hell.    :icon_e_salute:

#84 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 06 January 2016 - 20:58

removed

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#85 =TBAS=REDMAN

=TBAS=REDMAN

Posted 06 January 2016 - 21:04

I don't know what the source of the problem is or how to resolve it, only that there is definitely a problem....  The reason I'm commenting on this thread is to counter the idea that there is no problem at all....

Holy crap we're right back at the beginning.
Salute! REDMAN

#86 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 07 January 2016 - 00:22

OK, stop derailing the thread. I would close it right now, but the warping problem happens to be real and has to be adressed somehow, does it not? And no, claiming that all these people are imagining things or their internets simultanously failed them does not brings us closer to solution, so give it a rest.

From what we know of RoF internal communication, the information gets exchanged between client, game server and Master Server, over multiple channels and protocols, so there is lot of room for things not working. If many users experience problems on many servers, it's reasonable to suspect problems on Master Servers side. If its just New Wings, perhaps its their host machine / ISP.

I guess the real question is - are forum posts actually the correct way to bring a potential problem to the attention of the correct people who could do something about it?   I doubt it, but is there some other method of communicating with the people who control the Master Servers to see if they can check their equipment, configuration settings, server logs, etc and see if they notice anything that would account for the experience some people are having on the particular servers?   

If you could give them times and dates of warping issues, perhaps they could look at server logs and spot something.  

Well, what I've been wondering is if there is actually somebody who can liason directly with someone from 777...I mean send an email (that would actually be read) along the lines of "Hey, can you take a look at this?"

Here. http://riseofflight....upport/request/

Technical support ticket are mostly used for individual users problems, but a flood lot of tickets reporting the same server problem may cause technical support people to act or pass it further. I suggest everyone who actually experienced the warping and disconnections sends one. Here's example content for really lazy people :).

Hello,
over last month, I have experienced number of lag problems, on different Rise of Flight servers, resulting in bad synchronisation with other players (plane "warping") and outright disconnections. Beside myself,  multiple other users told me via forum or game chat of experiencing the same. Since this happens on many game servers, to different users, the single cause may very possibly lay in communications between Master Server and game servers. Please look into this - perhaps a maintenance Master Server reboot will suffice to solve the problem?

Best regards,
DELETE THIS LINE AND WRITE YOUR NAME HERE :P

I also propose that server admin write their own version about "their" users experienceing lags and disconnections, with same proposed solution.

The fastest channel I know to reach individual 777 people (Jason, Zak, Blacksix) is a PM on BoS forum. But it's best not abused for RoF matters until things are really bad :).

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#87 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D 13/6/2018 veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:09

From what we know of RoF internal communication, the information gets exchanged between client, game server and Master Server, over multiple channels and protocols, so there is lot of room for things not working. If many users experience problems on many servers, it's reasonable to suspect problems on Master Servers side. If its just New Wings, perhaps its their host machine / ISP.

The master server connects clients to game servers, it is not an intermediary for all the data exchanged between game servers and their clients. In fact while playing it is common to lose contact with the master server without interruption to play.

#88 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 07 January 2016 - 13:14

OK, stop derailing the thread. I would close it right now, but the warping problem happens to be real and has to be adressed somehow, does it not? And no, claiming that all these people are imagining things or their internets simultanously failed them does not brings us closer to solution, so give it a rest.

Here. http://riseofflight....upport/request/

Technical support ticket are mostly used for individual users problems, but a flood lot of tickets reporting the same server problem may cause technical support people to act or pass it further. I suggest everyone who actually experienced the warping and disconnections sends one. Here's example content for really lazy people :).

Thanks Trup.  That's the info that was needed to move forward. 

#89 loopy

loopy

Posted 07 January 2016 - 17:36

Lazy message sent, thanks J2_Trupobaw

#90 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 07 January 2016 - 19:25

Your best bet for getting any sort of response is here;

http://forum.il2stur...elopers/page-41

Devs are on Russian hols 'til 11th. of January

#91 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 07 January 2016 - 20:57

Hi Trupobaw,

As much as we're able to verify it, we're about 99% sure it's not our server.

With everything running we're at about 30-40% CPU utilization (on a 6 core machine), about 45-55% memory usage (out of 10GB - each ROF/BoS server uses about 1/2 GB each +/-), and our network usage is under 1/4 of 1% (a 10Gbps pipe - with 500Mbps minimum, both up & down - verified with speedtest.net, while everything is running). In fact, during the speedtest checks (which I run periodically), our network usage in taskmanager only spikes to ~10-12% for that minute or two.

Additionally, we had an open support ticket with our ISP, when folks were having a rash of connect issues last summer, and they've looked at WinMTR results we've passed them, along with other diagnostics on their end, and are unable to identify any issues.

Coupling that with the commentary of folks having lag/warping issues on other servers like Hardy's, for example, I'm as confident as I reasonably can be that it's not on our end...

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

PS> One additional thing I *will* do (though I'm pretty sure I've done that in the past as well) is verify the up & down pipe settings in the startup.cfg file for each of our RoF/BoS servers... I'm pretty sure that each is set for 30Mbps, but I'll double check them, and maybe set them to 50Mbps each.

#92 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 07 January 2016 - 21:23

The master server connects clients to game servers, it is not an intermediary for all the data exchanged between game servers and their clients. In fact while playing it is common to lose contact with the master server without interruption to play.

That's... simplified view. AFIAK there is communication between master server and clients, between game server and clients, and between game server and master server. Client losing connection to master server and game server losing connection to master server will result in different errors. Also, connection of game clients with servers is, in fact, multiple conections over different protocols; badly configured firewall can let thorugh enough to give impression you have good connection with server while making game unplayable. No idea how convoluted the connection between master and game server is, but I suspect it to be equally complex. 

Your best bet for getting any sort of response is here;

http://forum.il2stur...elopers/page-41

Devs are on Russian hols 'til 11th. of January

That's a dedicated BoS thread, asking about RoF there may not be welcome. PMs, on that forum, OTOH...

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#93 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 07 January 2016 - 21:58

removed 

#94 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 08 January 2016 - 00:56

That's a dedicated BoS thread, asking about RoF there may not be welcome. PMs, on that forum, OTOH...

It's also the only place on either the RoF or BoS forums where the devs regularly communicate with the english language community.   Han and BlackSix will read it....eventually.

PM's OTOH are often ignored by a full inbox.  Btw; Zak is no longer with 1C Game Studios.  He's now working for 1C itself. 

#95 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D 13/6/2018 veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:11

Yes different errors, game server(D Server) losing connection with Master Server will result in everyone on the server being dropped to main screen.

Client losing connection with Master Server could result in only that client being dropped.

While running a server locally and simultaneously playing on it, I have had the 'loss of contact with master server' icon appear onscreen; an image of two PCs side by side, I think that's what it means. When this happens it does not cause anyone to lose connection.

#96 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:12

While running a server locally and simultaneously playing on it, I have had the 'loss of contact with master server' icon appear onscreen; an image of two PCs side by side, I think that's what it means. When this happens it does not cause anyone to lose connection.

Was it with the game copy( not the server) you seen this? And I did say "Client losing connection with Master Server could result in only that client being dropped."

#97 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:10

removed  

#98 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:30

Just a quick report, spent some time on the "mom's basement cell phone server" with no problems even there was one guy with a ping of 361, and another with a ping of 178 no lag or warping. :icon_e_salute:  

I was on that same server.  No problems until we got to the island map.  Then, just a few minutes before I quit for the night there was a single Alb that was warping all over the place between it's home base and the water in the center of the map.

#99 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:37

removed

#100 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:40

That was excellent flying, by the way HB.  When you got down low to the ground to evade me, you are one tough guy to hit. 

#101 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:43

removed

#102 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:54

Tons of mass warping and lagging tonight on WG. Everyone saw it at the same time everytime 

#103 J99=Hardy

J99=Hardy
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:49

Hi Trupobaw,

As much as we're able to verify it, we're about 99% sure it's not our server.

With everything running we're at about 30-40% CPU utilization (on a 6 core machine), about 45-55% memory usage (out of 10GB - each ROF/BoS server uses about 1/2 GB each +/-), and our network usage is under 1/4 of 1% (a 10Gbps pipe - with 500Mbps minimum, both up & down - verified with speedtest.net, while everything is running). In fact, during the speedtest checks (which I run periodically), our network usage in taskmanager only spikes to ~10-12% for that minute or two.

Additionally, we had an open support ticket with our ISP, when folks were having a rash of connect issues last summer, and they've looked at WinMTR results we've passed them, along with other diagnostics on their end, and are unable to identify any issues.

Coupling that with the commentary of folks having lag/warping issues on other servers like Hardy's, for example, I'm as confident as I reasonably can be that it's not on our end...

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

PS> One additional thing I *will* do (though I'm pretty sure I've done that in the past as well) is verify the up & down pipe settings in the startup.cfg file for each of our RoF/BoS servers... I'm pretty sure that each is set for 30Mbps, but I'll double check them, and maybe set them to 50Mbps each.

It's pretty the same for No-Parachute Server. RoF is running there on a 4 Core i7, 12GB Ram with a 1Gb/s network connection. CPU utilisation is about 10%, RAM usage below 4GB and Network utilisation below 3% even with 20-30 people online. SPS value in the RoF server allways about 50 (max). but people experience serious lag even when ping is below 30ms. 

Server was running fine and without any problems several weeks ago but for the past few weeks (5-6) there are these lag problems.

Edit: Speedtest.net gave me a 1ms Ping, 680Mbps downstream and 836Mbps upstream.

Edit: Latency to Master-Server is between 30 and 50ms in average.

img_3834.png

#104 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 08 January 2016 - 13:36

removed

#105 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 08 January 2016 - 14:12

Just asking how did you get this?

Are you asking where to find peoples' ping times, or how to compute an average?

#106 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 08 January 2016 - 14:15

removed

#107 J99=Hardy

J99=Hardy
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 January 2016 - 14:33

Just asking how did you get this?

Windows Resource-Monitor.

Filter for DServer.exe to see only RoF Server connections. One of them is a connection to a Amazon-Cloud-Server via SSL - this is the Master Server.

Actually this is not the Ping! It is the latency of TCP Acknowledgement Packages.

img_4000.PNG

img_3834.png

#108 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 08 January 2016 - 14:45

removed

#109 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 09 January 2016 - 15:46

removed

#110 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 09 January 2016 - 17:29

Just asking, why would you limit the server to 30Mbps-50Mbps when you have 500Mbps available?

That's a good question. We do it that way for several reasons:

1>  That's already well above what is recommended for players (by several orders of magnitude).

2>  That's already well above what we actually see in monthly measured data bandwidth usage for our servers.

3>  We run multiple game severs, so we want to ensure that no one server would adversely impact or choke the others, so we "cap" their maximum usage.

4>  That 500Mbps+ (it's usually in the 700-800 range) isn't universal -- the number varies substantially depending on a number of factors.  

So, for instance, those numbers are consistent within a few hundred miles of New York (where our server is physically located), but they drop noticeably to, say, Berlin, or Melbourne, and even a bit to L.A.

Keep in mind, speedtest is just that -- a test, between your server, and one of their "registered partner" servers. Presumably, those should allow higher bandwidth then the average player's connection, but there's no way to tell what hardware they're running, what their network capacities are, what their regional backbone structure is, what bandwidth caps or limits they've set, or what other servers the data goes through before getting to that one.

Obviously, the thinking is that if those test numbers are decent, then it's probably reasonable to assume that the average player (with a decent internet connection) should have no trouble flying on any of our servers.

So, we set the limits that way to allow any given server to use as much as we think they'd reasonably need, without preventing any of our other servers from getting the same, concurrently.

Regards,

#111 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 January 2016 - 19:18

Last night there were 40+ players on with multiple drop-outs occurring consistently as well as 2 complete disconnections where everyone (and yes, I do mean everyone) were dropped. After the second drop in connection, half the players most likely lost patience and left for the night. The server handled 20+ players without any further real issues besides the occasional disco.

#112 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 09 January 2016 - 19:23

removed

#113 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 10 January 2016 - 00:27

Today on wargrounds planes were jumping, even AI planes were moving from one place to another in lag.

#114 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 10 January 2016 - 00:56

The warping has gotten so bad that I'm considering replacing the home security system with a Tachyon beam generator, in an attempt to close the singularity near Pomacle.

What server, what mission, what time?

Stop it....

#115 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:03

removed

#116 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:12

Wargrounds, 6pm-9pm pacific. Verdun late and others.. Now, piss off banjoboy.

#117 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:29

removed

#118 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:01

There is no reason for insulting posts.

Yes there is.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#119 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:04

removed

#120 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:16

I don't understand what you guys are talking about now.  Can we please keep this thread on track?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users