Photo
- - - - -

Dear RoF team. Can you please keep your master server maintained?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#41 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 04 January 2016 - 19:38

removed

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#42 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 04 January 2016 - 20:23

It's more than just a connection problem there are several issues. I don't understand are you going lose your house if it turns out to be a ROF problem. Why are you fighting a request from us to look into something that has nothing to do with you.

This is how it always is.  If the problem is within the communities ability to address, it will usually be handled because there are people who genuinely want to get the best experience possible out of RoF and are willing to do troubleshooting.   Not everyone is mature enough to take an open minded look first, though, as you are finding out.  They just go straight to personal attacks and blaming you for your bad attitude.    

#43 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 04 January 2016 - 20:36

I pissed in my pants, fuck!

#44 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 04 January 2016 - 21:28

removed

#45 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 04 January 2016 - 21:40

c4jt321.png

But in all seriousness, the Master Server system is the cornerstone of RoF's DRM, so don't expect it to go away anytime soon.

Under ideal circumstances, it does its job very well, but I can't remember a time when there were zero problems with it.

That said, this sounds like Amazon AWS issues (where the server is hosted) and unlikely something the "team" can deal with directly.

J5_Hellbender

#46 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 04 January 2016 - 22:32

Then what exact functionality do you think should be controllable by server operators?

But in all seriousness, the Master Server system is the cornerstone of RoF's DRM, so don't expect it to go away anytime soon.

Under ideal circumstances, it does its job very well, but I can't remember a time when there were zero problems with it.

That said, this sounds like Amazon AWS issues (where the server is hosted) and unlikely something the "team" can deal with directly.

@Arty: Looking ahead to EoL (End of Life) of the game, whenever that actually occurs, I'd like a local application that we can deploy on our server, that replaces the Master Server functionality.  You do realize that if the Master Server goes dark, you don't have an online game anymore. You wouldn't even have SP career or campaign mode either. There have been numerous outages in recent years that poignantly highlight that. As a server operator, that first one is obviously a major concern to me, and given the criticality of it when it does break, it's something I'd hope they would consider.

@Ghostbender:  Yep, the part in red is one of the key technical difficulties with the idea, and I agree that it won't change any time soon (if ever). It's definitely a major hurdle that would have to be addressed in such an app... One potential workaround (speculatively) - might be an encrypted DB file of valid accounts - that gets updated periodically, not unlike anti-virus products that update virus signatures, for instance. I'd imagine there are other approaches, but the key point is that they're largely technical in nature, and they'd have to be resolved before an "MServer" app could be created, but I'd be pretty sure that it could be, and I sincerely hope it would be before RoF's EoL.

...and before folks think I'm saying the game is dead (it isn't), what I *am* saying is that the Master Server IS an ongoing source of issues with the game, and has been for a long time. Additionally, it's a complete showstopper if it breaks entirely, or worse, gets shut-off. A local drop-in (apart from how they use it to auth and validate mods & such) would be a much more reliable and less problem prone solution for server operators, as it would remove connectivity issues and lag (at least within its function).

As for player connections -- there's nothing server ops can do about that (assuming their servers are running on a decent machine with appropriate specs and good bandwidth, and not some guy's 7 yr old PC in his basement on his local internet connection ;) ). For those players having frequent lag and disconnect issues, the only things I can recommend (and have in the past) is using tools like tracert, WinMTR and others (easily googled) to verify their own connectivity and raise it with their own ISPs.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

#47 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 04 January 2016 - 22:43

removed 

#48 loopy

loopy

Posted 04 January 2016 - 23:19

Over the last few days there has been a lot of warping on the NW server, I was in the J99 server on Saturday and the warping was that bad I left the server, I was not alone at the time I had 2 squad mates who also where getting the warping.

Also tonight there was warping in the Nw server, again I had 2 team mates, we all saw warping.

My 2 team mates are in the US, different states i'm in the UK.

I note that there has been no server maintenance lately, in the past it was carried out every month or 2.

#49 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 04 January 2016 - 23:30

Yeah, unfortunately, it has now started to get to that point.  I jumped into a 5 plane dogfight in Cappy Winter, and the warping was so bad I just retreated, and then landed and quit.   My wingman got in a collision when a Camel "warped" into him.   It might even have been the same dogfight that BH_Loopy is talking about above.

Isn't there somebody at 777 that can be directly contacted?

#50 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 04 January 2016 - 23:49

removed

#51 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 05 January 2016 - 00:02

Honestly do you think this is a master server problem.  attachicon.gifping.JPG there is a couple of players with a ping of over 300.

Ok, I think you need to understand that for whatever reason, a lot of people are noticing a massive uptick in warping behavior within the last couple of weeks.  That's a fact.  Period. 

#52 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 05 January 2016 - 00:06

removed

#53 loopy

loopy

Posted 05 January 2016 - 00:16

I checked your ping rating on the rof multiplayer page before joining and got the message for NFF server,

unable to measure the quality of the connection with this server.

A 90ms ping from the UK to a US server is not unusual, and have not had problems in the past even with 50-60 people in the server, unless there are other problems going on, it should be noted from my previous post that others where also getting warping even though we are in different parts of the world.

#54 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 05 January 2016 - 00:20

removed

#55 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 05 January 2016 - 13:20

loopy do you fly as BH_loopy, if so your ping to NFF server #1 is 90ms at present. With a ping like that and a real busy server you could see some lag.

Not true Billy if server and connection is ok, i have and had 130 ms to USA Worgrounds and was playing there for more than year without issues at all - like most of 1PL squad. S

#56 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 05 January 2016 - 14:11

For the people who have been experiencing lag / warping, etc

Do they get lag on entirely different MP games (especially twitch games) like Call of Duty?   (If not, it's probably unlikely to be individual ISP issues.  Not impossible, but less likely )

Is it only one particular RoF server that has the warping issue or have they tried multiple RoF servers and still gotten the same result?     Which servers, in particular, does the problem seem to happen consistently?  

None of these questions are an attempt to "prove" anything, but knowing the answers might help to narrow down the likelihood of where the actual cause of the issue rests.    

#57 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 05 January 2016 - 14:21

removed

#58 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 05 January 2016 - 16:16

This issue is/was present on two servers atlast. Know how probability works it could be coincidence too.

#59 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 05 January 2016 - 20:41

FourSpeed,

Please be advised that the "New Flyers and Friends" group, (=NFF=), is running THREE Servers.  Two of which are Eight Core, water cooled, 32 Gig Ram, Win10, new machines.  They are contracted to enjoy Comcast's most powerful service with DL speeds surpassing 140 Mbps on a regular basis.  That's hardly an amateurish approach to providing FREE service to all of our friends.

The only trivial fact you have correct is that they are running in a 'Basement' environment.  They require so much room for wiring,  connections, switches, UPS's, and monitors that it would be inconvenient to have them located in a living room.

It would be more rewarding to read your epistles if they were close to accurate. 

Please give it your old, 'College Try' to stick to reality.  (That's if you went to college!).

Sincerely,

PhilEmmett

(=NFF= Patriarch)

#60 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 05 January 2016 - 21:54

I think Phil means :icon_e_wink: 

#61 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 05 January 2016 - 23:56

FourSpeed,

Please be advised that the "New Flyers and Friends" group, (=NFF=), is running THREE Servers.  Two of which are Eight Core, water cooled, 32 Gig Ram, Win10, new machines.  They are contracted to enjoy Comcast's most powerful service with DL speeds surpassing 140 Mbps on a regular basis.  That's hardly an amateurish approach to providing FREE service to all of our friends.

The only trivial fact you have correct is that they are running in a 'Basement' environment.  They require so much room for wiring,  connections, switches, UPS's, and monitors that it would be inconvenient to have them located in a living room.

It would be more rewarding to read your epistles if they were close to accurate. 

Please give it your old, 'College Try' to stick to reality.  (That's if you went to college!).

Sincerely,

PhilEmmett

(=NFF= Patriarch)

Dude - ask me if I care...

In fact, thanks for the hilarity... I had no idea (and no interest) in what you guys run, and while I'm sure that Hillbilly thinks every thing is a personal attack on him (probably deservedly so in his case), my comment wasn't actually about about him, or you guys.

The fact that he apparently started crying, and the fact that you guys actually are running your server out of mom's basement  (do you have to turn it off at bedtime?) is actually the funniest thing I've heard to-date in 2016 -- So... thanks for that... 

As for whatever else you do over there, I personally couldn't give a rat's @$$, and haven't, since about the 2nd month I was flying RoF ... 3 years ago...

But, feel free to carry on with your persecution complex... The entertainment value is top notch...  :D

To the rest of the folks, sorry about the side tracking of the thread -- I didn't realise I'd accidentally stepped on someone's itty bitty e-peen.  My Bad - Carry On.

#62 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:10

removed

#63 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:39

It is PLA Unit 61398 hacking into the server - they are after the blueprints of the Albatross DVa.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#64 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:47

FourSpeed,

Their servers perform like they're running off a cell phone.

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#65 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:10

removed

#66 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:04

Wow FourSpeed !

I'm sincerely reticent to think that logic would have any impact on your reasoning.  How could I possibly have imagined that an honest description of our commitment to RoF and Multiplayer could get through to you.  You seem so blinded by anger and frustration.

'New Fliers and Friends,' (=NFF=), has no dispute with you personally, technologically, or competitively.  That includes 'New Wings,'  (NW's), and their fliers and team.   In fact, =NFF=, as you know, was an outgrowth from 'NW's.'  There was an obvious time and place to separate our ways to benefit pilots and originators.  

To continue your criticisms in such a demeaning manner only degrades all that RoF Multiplayer would like to represent.  I'd like to think that reasonable men would be above such childish jabs i.e. "running out of Mom's basement," and, "turning off the lights at bedtime?"  

You must be a better person than someone making such below-the-belt remarks.  It serves no purpose other than to arouse anger and resentment.  How far does that get anyone?

I sincerely hope you'll begin to comprehend how worthless these banterings are to the progress and future of both our organizations and RoF.   

Take care Sir.

PhilEmmett

(=NFF=Patriarch) 

#67 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:14

Liberator,

I cannot possibly figure out why you'd make such a comment.  You've enjoyed flying with =NFF= on many occasions. 

We sure didn't hear any negative comments about lagging or framing at the time.  Matter of fact, I clearly remember you were quite the gentleman and thanked us for flying on our Servers.

I'm not sure what went wrong with your opinion of us.  We've not seen you fly =NFF= in quite some time.  Perhaps you've forgotten how much we enjoyed your company and vice-versa. 

If you have any suggestions as to how we can improve our services, we'd like to hear them.  We're always looking for ways to get better. 

As to the 'cell phone' remark, I'm sure you haven't had a chance to fly on either of the new Servers and their new configuration. 

Hope to see you in our friendly skies soon.

PhilEmmett

(=NFF=Patriarch)

#68 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:34

Another team killer and troll Jay04 15-20min ago in Wargrounds.

#69 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:48

This relates to warping and server performance issues, how?

#70 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:55

Keep it in the pants :icon_e_wink:  please.

And come fly with us in Warground. I see you in the low left of this page right now. 

Attached Files

#71 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:37

Not the proper place for this -- also, it was handled at the time, by the in-game Admin.

#72 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 06 January 2016 - 14:59

Has anyone had any luck on testing anything that might narrow down the cause of the OP issue?

#73 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 06 January 2016 - 17:22

26animo.gif

giphy.gif

#74 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 06 January 2016 - 18:17

Yes it is something else, YOUR INTERNET.

Me, and BSR and at least a half a dozen others that I have direct knowledge of are all experiencing local problems with our internet connections?  What a coincidence!  Or if not, perhaps just a case of mass delusion?  (!)

If you personally are not having any problems on the icon server that you inhabit, then I'm happy for you, and suggest that you go back there, enjoy your game, and don't trouble yourself further about the rest of us...

#75 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 06 January 2016 - 18:35

I guess the real question is - are forum posts actually the correct way to bring a potential problem to the attention of the correct people who could do something about it?   I doubt it, but is there some other method of communicating with the people who control the Master Servers to see if they can check their equipment, configuration settings, server logs, etc and see if they notice anything that would account for the experience some people are having on the particular servers?   

If you could give them times and dates of warping issues, perhaps they could look at server logs and spot something.  

#76 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 06 January 2016 - 18:41

I guess the real question is - are forum posts actually the correct way to bring a potential problem to the attention of the correct people who could do something about it?   I doubt it, but is there some other method of communicating with the people who control the Master Servers to see if they can check their equipment, configuration settings, server logs, etc and see if they notice anything that would account for the experience some people are having on the particular servers?   

If you could give them times and dates of warping issues, perhaps they could look at server logs and spot something.  

Well, what I've been wondering is if there is actually somebody who can liason directly with someone from 777...I mean send an email (that would actually be read) along the lines of "Hey, can you take a look at this?"

#77 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 06 January 2016 - 18:58

Well, what I've been wondering is if there is actually somebody who can liason directly with someone from 777...I mean send an email (that would actually be read) along the lines of "Hey, can you take a look at this?"

Yes.  If such a communication method exists, it would have more chance of getting a productive result - meaning evidenced based confirmation or elimination - of the Master Server issue theory.   I don't know if that avenue of communication exists though and of course there's no guarantee when or if they would look at it.   

#78 Catfish

Catfish

Posted 06 January 2016 - 19:40

So no reaction as usual.

Ok i think this thread has run its course, can some moderator please close this topic.

#79 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 06 January 2016 - 19:41

So no reaction as usual.

Ok i think this thread has run its course, can some moderator please close this topic.

+1

#80 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 06 January 2016 - 19:45

I would actually ask that the thread remain open, but that Hill Billy is prohibited from posting in it.  I think the issue itself is actually important enough, and affects enough people, that it should not be closed because of a troll (which is what he wants), at least in the short term.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users